Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What happened to these?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

What happened to these?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-19, 07:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
OK Folks,
I got a repair in today for a hub overhaul. These are the bearings that came out of the Shimano 600 Arabesque front hub. Hub was overloaded with white lithium grease, which is a pita to remove, but the bearings seem to be problematic. Any guesses? Maybe they were trying to make them look like ceramic bearings? Or just heat treated chrome? fire away at me with opinions... Smiles, MH
Sure seems you were asking a question but now it's obvious? Don't see the point. Not "bearings" BTW.
Old 08-11-19, 11:42 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
I count 21 bearings from a front hub. From my poor memory Shimano 600 should be 10 each side. Further too much grease in a 600 hub is not going to be with the hub very long and would not burn balls. Coming from maintenance experience in smelters where we dealt with extremely high temps I doubt the entire premise, I think these came form somewhere where nothing was correct and no one corrected, I think Andy said that already. Nothing learned.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 08-12-19, 02:29 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Hmmm...
Old 08-12-19, 07:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
I count 21 bearings from a front hub. From my poor memory Shimano 600 should be 10 each side. Further too much grease in a 600 hub is not going to be with the hub very long and would not burn balls. Coming from maintenance experience in smelters where we dealt with extremely high temps I doubt the entire premise, I think these came form somewhere where nothing was correct and no one corrected, I think Andy said that already. Nothing learned.
Re: Ball counts- There are some Shimano ft hubs that take 11 3/16" balls per side. Having only 10 in a side should do no harm. HOWEVER having 11 balls in a hub designed to use 10 is a problem.

What usually happens is an inability to adjust the bearing/axle spin/slop balance properly and the rim "becomes" out of true (but in an odd manor). The rim will go through a cycle of wobbliness every two rotations as the 11th ball is revolving about the cone at about half the speed that the rim does. So the offset that that 11th ball creates will travel. The first time one encounters this can be rather frustrating. Trying to true out said traveling wobble...

Just goes to show that a system starts at it's innermost foundation. Andy
Old 08-12-19, 07:25 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
So this was a test?
This thread is not too different from what goes on in a LBS shop all the time. It's how we teach those less experienced.

A question/situation is presented. Thoughts/ideas are talked about and deeper layers of understanding are brought up. I have done this, perhaps, hundreds of times over the years with some of the goal being not just specific causations but also how to think and work out what's happening. It's this second aspect that I feel is the greater lesson. Andy
Old 08-12-19, 12:38 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
OK, guess I'm just a poor student as the lesson I was meant to learn from this thread still eludes me. Thanks for trying!
Old 08-12-19, 06:45 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
OK Folks,
I got a repair in today for a hub overhaul. These are the bearings that came out of the Shimano 600 Arabesque front hub. Hub was overloaded with white lithium grease, which is a pita to remove, but the bearings seem to be problematic. Any guesses? Maybe they were trying to make them look like ceramic bearings? Or just heat treated chrome? fire away at me with opinions... Smiles, MH
Overheated obviously. How and why is impossible to know at this point. We have no idea when the damage took place and what has been done to them since.