Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-20, 08:12 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
There are a few restaurants in Mpls that have camel burgers. I think that the frozen part is more daring than the camel part.
Back in the 90s I had a black bear burger at a local restaurant. By far, the gamiest thing I have ever eaten, but I choked it down. I later learned from two different employees there that the owner's food sources could be questionable. To this day I wonder whether serving it was legal.
Old 04-29-20, 08:16 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Real miles today, work permitting.
The weather is finally warming up enough that it tempts me to ride real miles instead of fake miles. But will have heavy rain this afternoon.
Old 04-29-20, 08:17 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
If it helps, you have double the number of bikes I do, though the S1 might get reincarnated as a trainer biker.
The only thing missing is a no-kidding gravel bike. My Trek can handle some rougher stuff but I would really like something that runs 42mm or larger tires, plus I don't really want to abuse the old thing unnecessarily. Although for me, riding meaningful gravel means driving at least 30-45 minutes, and I'm just not that in to driving to the start of a ride.

So N=5 would be pretty good for me. I couldn't imagine having a massive collection like some people do, it seems like at some point the collection starts to own you instead of the other way around.
Old 04-29-20, 08:26 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
A Dolphin Story (Stories)

Dolphins seem to make us happy. They appear to have a permanent smile and strike us as benign. They are playful and and can be seen, even wild ones on You Tube videos, interacting with people at the shore. Once my niece was visiting when I lived in Mississippi. We took in a dolphin show at the aquarium in Gulfport. When the show ended we stood by the tank waiting for the crowd to thin out. Dolphins were still in the tank and one of them fired a basketball at her. Obviously she then passed it back and it went on like that for a while. The dolphin's passes were accurate but also at just the right speed. They are so strong I'm sure my niece would have been bowled over had the dolphin wished.

On my very first ocean voyage, from New York to Bermuda, dolphins put on a light show for us. It happened like this: As soon as you cross the Gulf Stream, a few hundred miles out, you are in warm tropical waters full of phosphorescent plankton that glows in the dark. If there is enough wind to create small waves, as the crests curl over and break, the plankton glows as does the boats wake. The result is that the surface of the sea glows in a striking effect. Dolphins, with their acute hearing, have no trouble finding a boat to play with. During the first night after crossing the Gulf Stream, A school of dolphins found and entertained us as they repeatedly streaked by under the boat leaving a phosphorescent trail in the glowing sea. Occasionally our expectations and dreams are realized and this, my first ocean voyage was one of those times.

Some years ago when I was a much younger man, during the late bronze age, I was delivering a sailboat from Connecticut to Florida with two ship mates. Near the end of the delivery we were a few miles off the coast of Florida on a warm balmy night with a gentle breeze and a smooth sea. My shipmates were asleep and I had the watch. This boat had a steering wheel with a brake mechanism that could be snugged up. As the sea was smooth and the wind light, by adjusting the sails a bit the boat would hold a course for 10-15 minutes at a time. The boat was heeled over enough where the rail was just out of the water and I could sit facing aft with my back against the cabin, occasionally bumping the wheel with a bare toe to maintain the course while contemplating the secret of life, the universe and everything. My reverie was broken by the sudden appearance of two large dolphins alongside the boat, so close with the boat heeled over, I could nearly touch them. I greeted them and their greeting was the fact of being there for the next half hour. As intelligent animals, they are as curious about us as we are about them. Eventually, we each went about our business, having had a fine experience.

Addiction is as addiction does and for me it has always been sailing and the sea.
Old 04-29-20, 08:28 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,188 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
The only thing missing is a no-kidding gravel bike. My Trek can handle some rougher stuff but I would really like something that runs 42mm or larger tires, plus I don't really want to abuse the old thing unnecessarily. Although for me, riding meaningful gravel means driving at least 30-45 minutes, and I'm just not that in to driving to the start of a ride.

So N=5 would be pretty good for me. I couldn't imagine having a massive collection like some people do, it seems like at some point the collection starts to own you instead of the other way around.

I would love to have a gravel and a mtb. I don’t think my wife would allow me to have more than that.
Old 04-29-20, 09:04 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Addiction After Dark is low-energy. No stamina. Sad.
Just before dinner and after dinner are the only times I turn the TV on and thereby minimize my internetting. (That has got to be a word, right?)
Old 04-29-20, 09:27 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by berner
Dolphins seem to make us happy.
Turns out stories about dolphins can do the same thing

Lovely memories, thank you for sharing
Old 04-29-20, 09:28 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Not a good photo, but that's a bald eagle I saw on a ride yesterday.

Old 04-29-20, 09:30 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28635 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Just before dinner and after dinner are the only times I turn the TV on and thereby minimize my internetting.
What do you watch?
Old 04-29-20, 09:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Me too.

I still don’t work on Wednesdays because cycling.
Done. It's beautiful out. I saw a heron and a swan in a small pond, but by the time I got my iphone camera out the heron had flown away...

Likes For datlas:
Old 04-29-20, 09:51 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Old 04-29-20, 09:55 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Nothing can be as bad as forgetting her birthday last year (long story).
My wife's birthday is the day before mine. Same birth year too.

Old 04-29-20, 10:03 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by datlas
Done. It's beautiful out. I saw a heron and a swan in a small pond, but by the time I got my iphone camera out the heron had flown away...
I saw a Great Blue Heron in flight on my ride yesterday. No swans. Geese, though.

Also, we have the same rear blinky
Old 04-29-20, 10:04 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
“I woke last night to the sound of thunder
How far off I sat and wondered”
I've said it before. Bob Seger is god

Old 04-29-20, 10:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Got out for a little ride. North in to the wind was worth it for the south with the wind... though that part was over all too fast.
Old 04-29-20, 10:13 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

I fell asleep, last night, on the edge of pain, having taken my last two pain pills at six hour intervals instead of eight. I awoke this morning pain free--even wondering if I still had a problem. I am contemplating walking the mile to the clinic tomorrow morning, instead of driving. And then, of course, walking back

Old 04-29-20, 10:21 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I am contemplating walking the mile to the clinic tomorrow morning, instead of driving. And then, of course, walking back
Strava or it didn't happen.

Oh wait, never mind.
Old 04-29-20, 10:41 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12784 Post(s)
Liked 7,697 Times in 4,086 Posts
18 miles for me today. Best wildlife sighting was a guy soloing a tandem through the liquor store drive-thru.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-29-20, 10:42 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I fell asleep, last night, on the edge of pain, having taken my last two pain pills at six hour intervals instead of eight. I awoke this morning pain free--even wondering if I still had a problem. I am contemplating walking the mile to the clinic tomorrow morning, instead of driving. And then, of course, walking back
Are there fallback options for getting home if they tell you you can't walk back, or if it starts hurting more again with the exertion of the way there?
Old 04-29-20, 11:07 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13720 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
18 miles for me today. Best wildlife sighting was a guy soloing a tandem through the liquor store drive-thru.
#winning
Old 04-29-20, 11:30 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Got out for a little ride. North in to the wind was worth it for the south with the wind... though that part was over all too fast.
we have winds from the SE, I managed to get out for 20- the winds were around 9 when I started but 14ish by the time I finished.
Old 04-29-20, 11:33 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts

If I get another it'll probably be something that can take 700Cx28/650Bx47 but with a roadie-style fit. Current leader in the clubhouse is next year's Milwaukee Mettle, but there are options. Just something to be different from the R2, and be a disc brake option for events to maintain wheel compatibility with AG's SystemSix.
Old 04-29-20, 11:35 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Are there fallback options for getting home if they tell you you can't walk back, or if it starts hurting more again with the exertion of the way there?
Yes. But since I began moving around, I've decided against it. It is not yet ready for increased blood flow

Old 04-29-20, 11:37 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
I don't have a fancy PM but I do have a sense of my power from Zwift rides, and I have been looking at the power estimates from Strava. I do think they are reasonably close for solo rides. Clearly they do NOT take into account wind and other factors, but for a very rough approximation it's not half bad. I would guess it's within 20% of reality for an entire ride. For segments the error rate is a bit higher, of course.

Has anyone compared what Strava says and what your PM says to see if my observation is consistent?
Old 04-29-20, 11:39 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I saw a Great Blue Heron in flight on my ride yesterday. No swans. Geese, though.
Yesterday, upon departure, a jumbo crow stood no more than 20 feet from my drive with a large object in his beak. He did not fly way, even as I walked up to my launch point, at the crest of the driveway. I speculated that he liked me.
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Related: Spot any roadkill?
Likes For Velo Vol:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.