Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Danger From Carbon Fiber Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-16, 07:21 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
It is quite apparent that there are two classes of posters here. Many of us are in one class that thinks CF bikes are not the ultimate bike for 98% of the riding public. The other class is the people that have drank the mfg koolaide that say CF bikes are the greatest thing since sex. They are the ones that have paid out huge bucks, and dont like anyone that says anything against there "baby".
You just love being wrong, don't you? I like how the goalposts keep moving. First it was 'crabon asplodes in two years!' Since that has been debunked we've moved on to 'CF bikes are not the ultimate bike for 98% of the riding public.' Who has claimed that they are in here? Find me one post when someone has posted such a thing in here. A bit odd to argue against points that no one has made. But hey, if arguing against imaginary people is what gets you going, suit yourself.
Old 07-27-16, 07:29 AM
DaveWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The other class is the people that have drank the mfg koolaide that say CF bikes are the greatest thing since sex.
Then there are those of us who have simply chosen a bike we like, have ridden it safely for thousands of kms and don't understand why our choice affects you.
Old 07-27-16, 07:33 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digger6255
Wrong! Go to a NHRA race and watch the 10,000 HP Top Fuel engines get rebuilt after every run in less than 45 minutes. My 190 mph Dragster engine gets "rebuilt" every 2 years. Please keep your comments to something you know about like Asploding CF bikes......
I do find it interesting that you are comparing an open class dragster (no displacement limits) that runs less than 10 sec per run to real racing cars. Is this simply because you don't know any better?
Old 07-27-16, 07:37 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
To show you that it just comes down to money, on one of my bike forums a guy was bragging that he bought a $12,000 CF bike for $7500. It tells you that there are huge profits involved with CF bikes. You know that at $7500 the mfg and the bike shop still made money.
To show you that it's not about money, most of the internet hysteria with carbon fiber has to do with cheap 'Chinese' carbon fiber frames and parts. And for anything other than entry level bikes, carbon fiber frames are pretty cost competitive with aluminum and steel. You can also pay a whole lot of money for custom steel/Ti frame, you know?
Old 07-27-16, 07:37 AM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by davewc
then there are those of us who have simply chosen a bike we like, have ridden it safely for thousands of kms and don't understand why our choice affects you.

+1

Personally, I have rarely ridden a bike--of whatever material the frame was made of--that I did not like. It's all good.
Old 07-27-16, 09:03 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 771 Posts
Originally Posted by deapee
There are plenty of CF bikes that are over 2 years old that aren't exploding...This thread is pointless.
This bears repeating. One guys bad luck doesn't speak for the rest of the carbon bikes that are out there.

When I put the question of the lifespan of a carbon bike to Benoit Grelier, the person in charge of Scott’s bicycle engineering, his answer was clear, “I think it can last your life, actually.”

Scott Nielson has worked with carbon fibre for over a decade, starting with Trek, and is now the vice president of research and development and engineering at Enve. “If you look at carbon materials in general,” he said, “they’re very good in fatigue, much better than any aluminium or steel would be. If done properly, a frame could last you forever.”
The reason for such confidence is the extraordinary durability of carbon fibre. “Composites do not behave like metals,” explained Chuck Texiera. “In fact, they don’t actually fatigue like metals in the same classic sense of the word. The fatigue life of the fibre itself is just about infinite.”

What is the lifespan of a carbon frame? | CyclingTips
Old 07-27-16, 09:15 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Meanwhile... a guy I ride with cracked his CF frame on the ride home after last Thursday's group ride.

He showed up on a brand new CF race bike at last night's group ride. Which makes sense for him. He actually races.
Old 07-27-16, 09:16 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Cool story.
Old 07-27-16, 09:33 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
It is quite apparent that there are two classes of posters here. Many of us are in one class that thinks CF bikes are not the ultimate bike for 98% of the riding public. The other class is the people that have drank the mfg koolaide that say CF bikes are the greatest thing since sex.
WHY DO YOU LIE????

There are indeed two classes of posters here---deluded and dishonest, and realistic and honest.

The first class says that CF bikes are too dangerous to ride, the second class points out how many tens of thousands of people ride CF bikes safely.

The opeople who think CF is safe have stated that they are not necessarily the best bike for every rider ... but that they are safe to ride (and fro more than two years.) No one is saying CF is the best frame material, just that it is not dangerous when used properly as a frame material.

Seriously, what do yo get out of lying? Just the joy of trolling?
Old 07-27-16, 09:39 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by cyclintom
I do find it interesting that you are comparing an open class dragster (no displacement limits) that runs less than 10 sec per run to real racing cars. Is this simply because you don't know any better?
Twio cars running side by side for uiunder four seconds at well over three hundred miles per hour to see which one gets to the end .. . aren't Real Racing Cars. Dude ... please.

As for road-racing engines ... and almost every other type of racing engine---they Are regularly rebuilt. For instance in a lot of series (IndyCar is one, and IMSA engines from GM) the engines are rented, and the rebuild is scheduled for every so many thousand miles --- and the engines are rebuilt.

You are neither honest or informed about just about anything you post about it seems.

This thread has brought out the worst in some posters and also some of the worst posters.
Old 07-27-16, 09:42 AM
Maelochs

How do pros sell their bikes when they are property of the team?
Read the freaking article, genius.
(Ever wanted to get your hands on a pro's bike? Here's how - Cycling Weekly)
Old 07-27-16, 10:02 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
The C40 was EXACTLY the same as used in the Tour de France or the other grand tours. It also held the record for the number of classic wins.

The reason that the lawyer stated that these bikes were supposed to be destroyed at the end of a season was because if the teams sold these bikes they assumed personal liability. Even though in Europe this is sharply limited it can still bankrupt a team and give their sponsors a bad name.

What are the bikes that are sold? The one's I got were the team bikes that were never used. With no marks on the brake mounts or the drop-outs they're pretty easy to recognize. Sponsors will buy and entire group of framesets and at the end of a year there are leftovers that were never even painted. These are usually stolen by the mechanics who sell them for what they can get since they are paid a pittance to work for the teams. That is usually a given.

So the advice given to the teams varies from what Joe Citizen Purchaser should have ONLY in the level of riding. A one year lifespan on a bike used in the spring classics is about 10 years in normal use but that is only in general. Any particular bike could very well fall apart in the three year US warranty period if ridden as roughly as those in professional racing. And this doesn't mean fast, it means hitting road bumps hard at a high enough speed to generate the high frequency waves that will dissolve the resin that holds the carbon fiber together.

BUT, if Mike takes Colnago to court over that failure of his it wouldn't matter if that frame was 100 years old - catastrophic failures of that sort are NEVER supposed to happen on any goods sold in America. Most especially since the working life of the frame is not mentioned anywhere in the manual.
They are marketed as the same bikes, same manufacture as the bikes sold to the public, but are they...?

Catastrophic failures are never supposed to happen... but they sometimes do. I wish Mike luck and look forward to news of either a CSPC recall of the frames or some kind of class action suit, before I damn a model, company, or material.
Old 07-27-16, 10:12 AM
Maelochs

I want to apologize to everyone in this thread for some ...ah... testy posts. I have a low tolerance for dishonesty, but I still have the ability to tolerate, and there is no excuse for being rude while being blunt.
Old 07-27-16, 10:15 AM
obed7

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Ridley Xfire, Giant Propel, KHS AeroComp

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
this thread has descended into the usual uselessness. When it gets to the point that the posts are insults and derailing attempts it is time to close it.