Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Getting older = thinking more about safety?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 01:14 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Univega
I never used a front light as I can see what's coming at me. And not sure how it would help safety even if it made me more visible to oncoming cars.
Apart from what others have mentioned about the usefulness of front lights, they also make you better seen to the drivers who are going to pull out in front of you from side roads and driveways. I have had a couple close calls this way.
In the dark, side visibilty is important too.
Old 08-31-20, 01:25 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Yes, for me. Mostly due to general visibility, given the roads/traffic I cope with, but also due to being less-capable of easily surviving impacts and falls as I get older.

And so, I always use a hi-viz jersey or vest, a couple of bright flashing taillight, and good bright headlights (flashing, if daytime).

Example of visibility where I ride: Today, I saw two cyclists ahead of me at about ~500yds distance. They were in line, the rearmost bike had no taillight, and the bike in front had the brightest flashing taillight I'd ever seen. At times, the rear bike completely blocked my view of the bike in front, at which point I could no longer make out the pair of bikes at that spot in the road since they blended in perfectly with the surrounding terrain. But each time the front bike with its flashing taillight was visible again, it was obvious bikes were there. All at ~500yds. A similar improvement (on the roads I use) comes when I see cyclists with very bright hi-viz gear. By comparison, it's typical on these roads for bikes without hi-viz and any taillights to blend in so completely that I often do not pick them out visually until 100yds distant; even less, around the dusk and dawn, or at "strange lighting" times.
Likes For Clyde1820: