Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My twitter feed

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 12:14 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Speaking of Moms, as of today, (six years after I started getting them) my Mom has finally seen all of my tattoos...

I was so scared for so long of what she would do when she saw them. Turns out she doesn't care at all. My Mom is awesome.
Old 01-11-11, 12:21 PM
hammy56
coffee-stained punk

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Speaking of Moms, as of today, (six years after I started getting them) my Mom has finally seen all of my tattoos...

I was so scared for so long of what she would do when she saw them. Turns out she doesn't care at all. My Mom is awesome.
I hear this scenario almost daily.
Old 01-11-11, 12:27 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
kensuf, you have someone else to yell at. I was hooking up a new QA switch to the corporate network earlier this morning. I haven't read all 1,900 pages of the configuration guide, and did not realize that spanning tree was disabled by default. When I connected the first ISL, blammo. Took out the whole network for about 15 seconds until I realized what was going on.
Heh. But you realized it.

Those ****ers acted like they'd never heard of spanning tree...

One of the research groups I support lost a server last night. It's a six year old system, and basically one of the external SCSI array's lost it's ability to provide termination on the bus. They're back up and limping along for the time being, but the episode was a good case in point to convince the other research groups to do orderly migrations of their ancient/creaky hardware.
Old 01-11-11, 12:46 PM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Your request for upgrade has been approved"

That was quick. Let the suffering begin.
'grats!
Old 01-11-11, 12:53 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
Ultimate cat?
Correct.

Thanks all. I will do my best to prove worthy.
Old 01-11-11, 01:12 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
you realize that I'm not in Peru, right?
indeed I do.
but being my bubbly, happy, cheerful, helpful self... I thought I'd mention a few peruvian dishes that you might not have known about in case you are looking for new things to try.
I haven't spent much time where you are - are peruvian restaurants common?
Old 01-11-11, 01:14 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
"Your request for upgrade has been approved"

That was quick. Let the suffering begin.
that's great!
congrats

edit: beaten to which cat it was.
Old 01-11-11, 01:16 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
For my only foray into the topic, I'm with jwible, Rjorge, caloso, & GA's team mate.
or, you could read the long version:

I used to be a club kid, (5ish nights a week?). I kept my bits to myself, and called everyone similar names, no matter what their fun bits looked like. I don't censor or look down on people for choices they make - but in my experience, it is very infrequent that promiscuity leads to what Maslow called "self-actualization." I'm completely serious - there's no looking down on them, but common trends are common trends, and it is hard to watch people I love go down roads that I have only seen end up in a small range of places.

Having lived across a variety of cultures, there are a wide range of cultural norms that are held to be "normative" by different people in different places. I'd say that rarely is serial promiscuity a symptom of a healthy mental state and positive self-image... and even if it has been done or is "normal", it isn't a mode of living that seems to reinforce safe and overridingly positive messages about oneself.
My roomates/housemates/close friends/others have made those choices before, and I'm not going to tell them that my way is right and theirs is wrong. That said, few of them find it to be continually good for them over the course of extended time periods.
+1 on the long version.
Old 01-11-11, 01:46 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 614 Posts
Correct.

Thanks all. I will do my best to prove worthy.
That was quick ! Didn't you just start riding again last year ? Nice going ....

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-11-11, 02:08 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
damn 2tb drives have gotten cheap.
Old 01-11-11, 02:18 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcjimbosandwich
fark, i'm an idiot.

I tried to get the trimp stuff to work in Golden Cheetah. However, GC is messed up as it will calculate trimp for the intervals, but not the whole day. When i went to performance manager to see how the stress values look with trimp, GC crashed. Had to erase two months worth of file, and re enter them to GC in order to change performance manager back to bike score. Realized that the stress values were off as the manual rides were not put in. Did those, finally the numbers look about right...
File a bug.
Old 01-11-11, 02:20 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
That was quick ! Didn't you just start riding again last year ? Nice going ....
Riding, yes. racing, no. A long time ago when we raced under the USCF and you took a few years off, you could petition for reinstatement. The USCF District Rep held all of your records, placings, and upgrade info, recorded on paper, and sent a copy to the USCF. This was when there was no Cat5 Road, everyone started at Cat4, leather helmets were legal, etc. Somewhere around the year 2000, they got rid of all the paper and went electronic, but did not enter all of the old data into the system, just what they considered important. All of the stuff under my name was lost. So what does a rider do that wants to get back into racing again but last raced in the paper age? Purchase a license, become a Cat5, and request an immediate upgrade to the category they wish to ride in. This request is passed on to the district Upgrade Coordinator. I wrote a nice letter describing my racing history, the notable racers on the teams I was on, and a half dozen results that I could remember. I requested an upgrade to Cat3 but would have been fine with a Cat4. Since I last was a Cat2, they see it as a downgrade so all was well. I don't know if they checked any of my data or just went on the honor system.
Old 01-11-11, 02:21 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
damn 2tb drives have gotten cheap.
Some are better than others...caveat emptor.
Old 01-11-11, 02:32 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Riding, yes. racing, no. A long time ago when we raced under the USCF and you took a few years off, you could petition for reinstatement. The USCF District Rep held all of your records, placings, and upgrade info, recorded on paper, and sent a copy to the USCF. This was when there was no Cat5 Road, everyone started at Cat4, leather helmets were legal, etc. Somewhere around the year 2000, they got rid of all the paper and went electronic, but did not enter all of the old data into the system, just what they considered important. All of the stuff under my name was lost. So what does a rider do that wants to get back into racing again but last raced in the paper age? Purchase a license, become a Cat5, and request an immediate upgrade to the category they wish to ride in. This request is passed on to the district Upgrade Coordinator. I wrote a nice letter describing my racing history, the notable racers on the teams I was on, and a half dozen results that I could remember. I requested an upgrade to Cat3 but would have been fine with a Cat4. Since I last was a Cat2, they see it as a downgrade so all was well. I don't know if they checked any of my data or just went on the honor system.
Exact same story for me, but they made me start as a 4 ... no biggie ... then upgraded to 3 when I got some points.

We could take over this thread with "I remember when ..." posts

- District RR was all cats ... 1-4 doing 100+ miles
- Bike "inspections" before a race
- leather soled shoes over steel shanks or wood
- nail on cleats
- blah blah blah

Last edited by Homebrew01; 01-11-11 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 02:35 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
So still doing the online dating thing and have met a few people through it. One was a really really awkward encounter, which I was trying really hard to get out of but felt 'stuck'. Ugh.

Anyway, the rest have been pretty nice.

I've made atleast one friend, and met a couple of interesting people. Just had a lunch date at a thai place and then walked around for a bit one of the girls I met through there. It went pretty well. I think I'm going to call her back.

But otherwise I'm confused. I swear I haven't been trying any differently and the social work intern at work gave me a cryptic "We should do this again" on friday night, and my counterpart at a different office is meeting me for drinks tonight. We were talking this morning when I came in to work at 6 and she was here to learn how to set up the conferences and ended up talking about work, future, etc. Before she left I suggested that we get coffee soon. I got an email back saying that she was leaving for south africa in a few days, but would be close to where I lived tonight, so we're getting drinks tonight.

And thurs/fri I think I'm going out to lunch with the social worker.

Can someone explain to me why all these things are happening when I should really be studying?
Old 01-11-11, 02:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,066 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
I seem to have hit a tipping point on Facebook, with Bike Forums friends. Now every suggested friend is either wearing a helmet, or has a crazy mustache.
Old 01-11-11, 02:41 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'd befriend that mug.
Old 01-11-11, 02:41 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Can someone explain to me why all these things are happening when I should really be studying?
"Just because" .... sometimes stuff happens .... sometimes it doesn't

Old 01-11-11, 02:52 PM
jwible
Draught

Bikes: N-1 where N = number needed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I want a sleeper sports car. Wagon or sedan. Under $50k. I'm done with BMWs for a while.

Used Audi RS4
Audi S4 Avant
Cadillac CTS - V
VW CC?
Taurus SHO??

What else is out there??? Not interested in the Infiniti line right now, or Lexus for that matter. Audi has me interested, but the nearest dealer is 40 miles away. There's a VW dealer close but I'm not too familiar with their latest offerings.
Old 01-11-11, 02:55 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
"Just because" .... sometimes stuff happens .... sometimes it doesn't
And I've been walking around dragging a leg because my back is super pissed off for some reason.

Maybe they just feel sorry for me. Yeah, that's probably it.
Old 01-11-11, 02:59 PM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
So that you can go on Bikeforums and pretend to complain about it while actually bragging?
Old 01-11-11, 02:59 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
yeah, but i was originally scheduled to fly back to clogania tomorrow, but had to reshuffle my flights.

was still booked to fly tomorrow, but would have missed it.

jimbo.
So what do i need to do now? Also, is it possible to get a cycling cap instead of regular cap?

I cannot figure that software out.
It's actually not too bad. Just don't use TRIMP. The others are very similar to what i presume WKO+ gives you, and it has the additional feature of the performance manager, which is really what makes wko+ superior than just the basic Saris PowerAgent.

Originally Posted by ericm979
File a bug.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do.
Old 01-11-11, 03:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
just finished "The Machinist". Weird movie. Pretty good though.
Old 01-11-11, 03:03 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
So that you can go on Bikeforums and pretend to complain about it while actually bragging?
i think you are on to something
Old 01-11-11, 03:06 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jwible
OK, I want a sleeper sports car. Wagon or sedan. Under $50k. I'm done with BMWs for a while.

Used Audi RS4
Audi S4 Avant
Cadillac CTS - V
VW CC?
Taurus SHO??

What else is out there??? Not interested in the Infiniti line right now, or Lexus for that matter. Audi has me interested, but the nearest dealer is 40 miles away. There's a VW dealer close but I'm not too familiar with their latest offerings.
Mini Cooper S?

Added in edit: Here is a real sleeper: Used Vauxhall VX220. Real sports car sold under the Vauxhall badge.

Last edited by mollusk; 01-11-11 at 03:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.