Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Nishiki Serial Number Database

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 04:27 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That's a really low serial number from 1984, so it should be a 1984, as opposed to 1985 or 1986. Do you know for sure it's a Nishiki? Given the serial number, it could be a Norco. If it's Nishiki, it's almost certainly a Bushwacker.
Thanks T-Mar.

The brazed on cable bosses are "spherical" as opposed to "cylindrical".

I have a 1985 Norco Bush Pilot. The cable bosses are cylindrical. Also the Norco Bush Pilot has DSBM serial number, which I believe stands for a Tiawan company Dodsun Bicycle and Machinery.

I have found pictures on the internet of an early Nishiki Bushwhacker that has spherical bosses.
https://velospace.org/node/36124

Therefore I am inclined to believe that this is a Nishiki rather than a Norco. I could be wrong and if someone can prove this wrong that is fine.

What models of MTBs where being sold under the Nishiki name during 1984? Just Bushwhacker (or Bushwacker)? Was the Cascade model available in 1984?

Was the Bush Pilot the Norco version of the Nishiki Bushwhacker? Both names starting with "Bush" is suspicious.
Old 11-21-11, 05:51 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
That's a really low serial number from 1984, so it should be a 1984, as opposed to 1985 or 1986. Do you know for sure it's a Nishiki? Given the serial number, it could be a Norco. If it's Nishiki, it's almost certainly a Bushwacker.
Sorry T-Mar, I didn't answer your question directly in my last post.

Do I know this is a Nishiki? No. It could be anything.

From what I understand and from pictures that I have seen, most first generation MTB frames in 1983 and 1984 were based on the Specialized Stumpjumper from 1981 and 1982, which in turn was based on the Ritchey designs.

My green MTB frame is probably not too different from most of the MTB frames produced in the first half of the 1980s.

The primary reason why I think it is a Nishiki is the format of the serial number on the bottom bracket. The second reason is that the frame is welded not lugged, which is what I have observed about all the early Nishiki MTBs.
Old 11-28-11, 11:04 PM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
T-Mar and BobHufford: Thankyou for the information on my Nishiki Pro. It's a great frame and until now I didn't know much about it. I appreciate your help.
Old 12-17-11, 11:48 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is my 1979 Nishiki. Serial Number KI00099. I bought it as a "nude" frameset in 1979-80. It had no decals or headbadge (not even any holes where the headbadge would have been mounted). The only indication that it was a Nishiki were the seat stay caps, which were stamped "Nishiki". The fork is a sloping crown Tange mounted with a Tange headset. The color is original. T-Mar has advised me that this is likely to be an International.

I had originally built the frame up as a bike for my wife, but it had very little use until last year when I rebuilt it as a daily commuter for myself using parts I had laying around. All parts are vintage 70s - 80s except for the fenders and new wheels. I built these up recently with a Shimano dyno hub in front and a SA 2 speed IGH in back. Saddle is a 40 year old ADGA from a Peugeot I bought in 1972.

Old 12-19-11, 04:44 PM
AnnexGR

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought a Nishiki International off of Craigslist. Here is what I got:

S/N: KS 343564

Pre 1975

Derailleur is SunTour VT Luxe 4532 with stamped code of RH? That's a 1975 part.

So probably mine is a 1974 Nishiki International but I'm not sure on the specific date. Here is a picture:

Old 12-20-11, 06:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by AnnexGR
I recently bought a Nishiki International off of Craigslist. Here is what I got:

S/N: KS 343564

Pre 1975

Derailleur is SunTour VT Luxe 4532 with stamped code of RH? That's a 1975 part.

So probably mine is a 1974 Nishiki International but I'm not sure on the specific date...
Seeing the pic brought a flood impressions. First, it is in immaculate condition for the age. Second, that the saddle is an obvious replacement and the bar tape was also probably replaced, to match the saddle. Finally, and most disturbing, it does not appear to be pre-1975 model.

We have a couple of known reference points for mid-1970s International based on surviving literature. The 1974 used the original graphics, a Maxy crankset and stem shifters. The 1976 had redesigned graphics, a Maxy II crankset and bar end shifters. Yours has the redesigned graphics and Maxy II, yet has stem shifters. Of course the shifters may have been replaced but it could also mean a 1975 model. It's obvious that it is not a 1974 model.

The component code does indicates August 1975. Most manufacturers started building for the new model year around September. Depending on the time lag in delivering the parts to the factory, it could be a very late 1975 model or a very early 1976 model, assuming the derailleur is OEM. Given the conditition of the bicycle, it probably is.

So how do I explain the serial number? Unfortunately, the database is currently down. I'd really like to review the data I have from this period. However, pending further investigation and evidence, there is the possibility that the serialization format actually changed during the 1975 year and/or that the frame was built in 1974 but went into a rework recycle for some quality issues that delayed it's being built up.

I'm really curious about this bicyle and the apparent discrepancies. It would be appreciated if you could check for other date codes. There should be codes on the back of the crankarms, back of the brake calipers, back of the front derailleur cage and bottom of the stem. There may also be one on the bottom of the seat post. TIA.
Old 12-20-11, 10:32 AM
AnnexGR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seeing the pic brought a flood impressions. First, it is in immaculate condition for the age. Second, that the saddle is an obvious replacement and the bar tape was also probably replaced, to match the saddle. Finally, and most disturbing, it does not appear to be pre-1975 model.
I should have mentioned this. The saddle, handlebar tape, tires, and the white brake cable tubes are obviously new. But I do agree that, other than some minor scratches on the frame, and a bit of rust here and there on components, it is in quite great condition. I was very surprised when I discovered the bike was form the mid '70s!

We have a couple of known reference points for mid-1970s International based on surviving literature. The 1974 used the original graphics, a Maxy crankset and stem shifters. The 1976 had redesigned graphics, a Maxy II crankset and bar end shifters. Yours has the redesigned graphics and Maxy II, yet has stem shifters. Of course the shifters may have been replaced but it could also mean a 1975 model. It's obvious that it is not a 1974 model.

The component code does indicates August 1975. Most manufacturers started building for the new model year around September. Depending on the time lag in delivering the parts to the factory, it could be a very late 1975 model or a very early 1976 model, assuming the derailleur is OEM. Given the conditition of the bicycle, it probably is.
Interesting, this makes sense given the code on the derailleur, which I would assume is OEM given its age (although it too is in good condition, a little rusted but working, although in need of tuning, as it doesn't shift great). The additional info about the graphics is interesting...do you have sources, like a scan of the literature?

So how do I explain the serial number? Unfortunately, the database is currently down. I'd really like to review the data I have from this period. However, pending further investigation and evidence, there is the possibility that the serialization format actually changed during the 1975 year and/or that the frame was built in 1974 but went into a rework recycle for some quality issues that delayed it's being built up.

I'm really curious about this bicyle and the apparent discrepancies. It would be appreciated if you could check for other date codes. There should be codes on the back of the crankarms, back of the brake calipers, back of the front derailleur cage and bottom of the stem. There may also be one on the bottom of the seat post. TIA.
What I will do, when I get a chance, is grab some more pictures and as many serial numbers off the components/frame as I can. This is an awesome thread T-Mar, thanks!
Old 12-26-11, 11:11 AM
itskohler

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks to all the wealth of knowledge this thread has provided. I picked this up last month and just converted it.

Serial

Old 01-04-12, 09:35 PM
RuttySnails

Bikes: Cannondale F700, Montague, Peugeot, Swift Adventure, Nishiki.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,
Just recently acquired Nishiki from junk yard. Wheels gone, parts mostly rusted or seized. Have brought the frame back and will keep original paint but upgrade other parts to create single speed. Serial number is KS 169344 with CWW 'W' logo beneath. Cranks are Maxy with large chain ring pressed onto crank, cannot remove. Heart shaped stops for gear cable on down tube. Shimano centrepull brakes front and rear. Radonneur handlebars, damaged. No seat post so curious about size although bike store can supply. Will provide photo nearer completion.
RuttySnails
Old 01-05-12, 01:05 PM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Noob here, new to me Nishiki Altron, sticker on main tube says Altron, all green with 1/2 chrome seat stays. Frame labeled "Tang" fork which is white, not green, is labeled 4130. I can't find info anywhere. I will have the bike tomorrow and will post the serial number and pictures.

Is this an Altron? Altron 7000, Altron NFS or something entirely different?

I'm clueless but excited, the bike looks fast and solid. I almost new condition.
Old 01-05-12, 01:33 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cuz just brought his over. It's been in the barn for years he said.
I told him I will clean it up for him best I can.

# G0683
Old 01-05-12, 05:50 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by RuttySnails
Hi,
Just recently acquired Nishiki from junk yard. Wheels gone, parts mostly rusted or seized. Have brought the frame back and will keep original paint but upgrade other parts to create single speed. Serial number is KS 169344 with CWW 'W' logo beneath. Cranks are Maxy with large chain ring pressed onto crank, cannot remove. Heart shaped stops for gear cable on down tube. Shimano centrepull brakes front and rear. Radonneur handlebars, damaged. No seat post so curious about size although bike store can supply. Will provide photo nearer completion.
RuttySnails
Welcome to the forums. Based on the serial number and Maxy crankset, that should be a circa 1972-1973 Nishiki International with a plain gauge CrMo frame, utilizing a 26.6-26.8mm post. However, given that you're in Australia about the only thing for sure is the era. Models and specs sometimes changed drastically, depending on the country.

When the large chainring is permanently attached to the crankarm it is called a swaged design. The chainring fits over a small flange on the crankarm, which is then peened over with a press to hold the chainring permanently in place. It is an economical manufcturing process and in the 1970s, brought cotterless cranksets into the entry level price range, though the drawback is that the entire assembly has to replaced when the teeth wear out or if the gearing is not suitable.
Old 01-05-12, 06:02 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by mwork1111
Noob here, new to me Nishiki Altron, sticker on main tube says Altron, all green with 1/2 chrome seat stays. Frame labeled "Tang" fork which is white, not green, is labeled 4130. I can't find info anywhere. I will have the bike tomorrow and will post the serial number and pictures.

Is this an Altron? Altron 7000, Altron NFS or something entirely different?

I'm clueless but excited, the bike looks fast and solid. I almost new condition.
Offhand, I don't remember an Altron with chromed stays. However, it shouldn't be an Altron 7000 because they were aluminum. The NFS bicycles used smaller, 650C wheels, which you probably would have noticed. There was a Altron, circa 1990 with a Tange Prestige frame and Shimano Ultegra components. Then again, it could be a non-USA model or a variant we haven't seen. We'll be anxiouslky awaiting the pics. BTW, welcome to the forums.
Old 01-05-12, 06:04 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Spookeay Bird
The Cuz just brought his over. It's been in the barn for years he said.
I told him I will clean it up for him best I can.

# G0683
Thxs for posting. It's a Sebring, correct?
Old 01-05-12, 06:13 PM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks T-Mar. I'm excited to post the info. I will post the info as soon as I can get it.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-12, 07:52 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thxs for posting. It's a Sebring, correct?
Yes
cleaning it up now... Tnx.
Old 01-06-12, 12:18 AM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nishiki chrome seat stays

I just noticed that the 1974 catalog states that the Road Compe and Professional have chrome lugs and rear stays.

My bike is newer than 1974, I think, and dawns the Altron name. Interesting. I guess I'll learn a lot tomorrow when I get my hands on it.
Old 01-06-12, 12:09 PM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here it is. Is this a strange animal or not?

Fluorescent green/yellow Nishiki Altron, at least it has an Altron sticker on the main tube, All components (Front and rear derailleur, brakes, cranks) are Shimano 600 except the hubs which are Shimano 105.

Here is the hinky part, the frame states Tange Prestige. The fork is white and has a sticker that claims 4130.

I can get better pictures later if needed. Looking at the serial number I'm assuming the bike is 1987+ as the serial number does not jive with 87 and under serial numbers.

Seat stays are chrome from hub to seat and crank.

Serial number AL90056803

What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0278.jpg (99.9 KB, 458 views)
IMAG0279.jpg (101.5 KB, 451 views)
IMAG0280.jpg (103.9 KB, 448 views)
IMAG0287.jpg (105.4 KB, 445 views)
IMAG0289.jpg (91.2 KB, 226 views)
IMAG0288.jpg (90.3 KB, 446 views)

Last edited by mwork1111; 01-06-12 at 05:34 PM.
Likes For mwork1111:
Old 01-06-12, 06:07 PM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My buddy at work said the Shimano components and cranks are Shimano 3-bar? Noted by the blue bars on the group? A little more research leads me to believe the component group is Shimano 600EX Ultegra.

The bike is a little big for me. I'm 6' with short 31" inseam but rides great! It's a big frame. If I have to stop in a hurry I might not need that little procedure my wife and I have been discussing for the past year. I'm hoping there is a chance that I'm still growing at 38 I need about an inch in the legs.

Let me know if you need any more data.
Old 01-06-12, 10:59 PM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Offhand, I don't remember an Altron with chromed stays. However, it shouldn't be an Altron 7000 because they were aluminum. The NFS bicycles used smaller, 650C wheels, which you probably would have noticed. There was a Altron, circa 1990 with a Tange Prestige frame and Shimano Ultegra components. Then again, it could be a non-USA model or a variant we haven't seen. We'll be anxiouslky awaiting the pics. BTW, welcome to the forums.
T-Mar,

After reading your response again and after digging a little deeper I realized that in this post you identified the bike.

Altron, circa 1990 with a Tange Prestige frame and Shimano Ultegra components.

Bright Green/Yellow
Serial Number
AL90056803
Shimano Ultegra componets

If you would like me to post any additional details on the bike just let me know.

So now the big question, since it's too big for me do I sell it to my coworker who has a little longer legs? Maybe this part of the post doesn't belong here. If not sorry.

Thanks for all of your help. Without this forum I would have never been able to get this far.

Cheers,
Old 01-06-12, 11:18 PM
Spookeay Bird
spookeaymarine.info

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Other than some 17" tires,,,, Marvins bike has been cleaned and polished.
Old 01-07-12, 11:03 PM
kc0yef 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Nishiki Olimpiad
KS152143

1973??? original quilted seat seems like only a new derailleur...not original but I have a crane to put back on it...and a sticker
in mY siZE WOO HOO
Old 01-08-12, 08:09 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by kc0yef
Nishiki Olimpiad
KS152143

1973??? original quilted seat seems like only a new derailleur...not original but I have a crane to put back on it...and a sticker
in mY siZE WOO HOO
Based on the model name, it should be 1972. My current understanding is that the Nishiki brand appeared in 1972 using the Japanese model names. The names were anglicized by 1973, with the Oympiad becoming the Olympic.
Old 01-08-12, 08:32 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by mwork1111
My buddy at work said the Shimano components and cranks are Shimano 3-bar? Noted by the blue bars on the group? A little more research leads me to believe the component group is Shimano 600EX Ultegra.

The bike is a little big for me. I'm 6' with short 31" inseam but rides great! It's a big frame. If I have to stop in a hurry I might not need that little procedure my wife and I have been discussing for the past year. I'm hoping there is a chance that I'm still growing at 38 I need about an inch in the legs.

Let me know if you need any more data.
The components are Shimano 600 Ultegra (no EX). They are also called 6400 series, in reference to their number designations. I've never heard the 3-bar nickname, though they are often referred to as tri-color.

That's a nice tubeset and component group, so it's unfortunate the frame is too large. Disproportionally short legs are a problem. Personally, I try to fit cyclists based on proper top tube/stem length and adjust the post accordingly. I find that when you go to a smaller frame and have to increase the stem length too much, the weight distribution and handling is adversely affected. Of course, if you're not competive, a smaller frame may be the perfect solution. Generally, the changes in seat tube length are greater than the change in top tube length, so losing a couple inchs of seat tube length does not scrunch you up as much as you may think, though you may l also lose a couple inchs of handlebar height, relative ot the saddle.

Thxs for the serial number.
Old 01-10-12, 09:46 AM
mwork1111

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks T-Mar.

The bike is awesome however it's just not a fit for me. A buddy at the office took it home to try it out. I'm hoping he doesn't want it simply because it's a nice bike and someone who appreciates the bike for what it is may like it more than he does. He runs marathons and is now getting into triathlons and needs a bike for that. Any idea what one might want to sell a bike like this for?

Thanks for all of your help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.