Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

BOB trailer vs. Panniers?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

BOB trailer vs. Panniers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 10:06 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
2 wheel trailers are Better for The Utility trips , I brought home a $10 CRT TV from the charity shop in Mine ..
Perhaps, but I have owned and ridden with an original Cannondale Bugger trailer and a Kool Stop, both two-wheeled, and I did not like the feel of them behind me so got rid of them. I found a Schwinn trailer at the curb last year and donated it to the same co-op where I found the B.O.B. In addition, the ones I've seen would have been more trouble than the B.O.B. to store in my already overcrowded facility but if I made a practice of hauling big stuff I could see the advantage of using one. In the meantime, I have a minivan for drayage.
Old 08-08-16, 10:26 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4817 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,566 Posts
I haven't bought a trailer yet, but there is one thing it could do nicely that would be near impossible (feasibly) without - biking with a guitar amplifier. I lived a car free life into my early 30s. I've played blues harmonica for the past 45 years. Had I owned an amplifier back in my car free days, it would have had to travel by bike. Since bike trailers basically didn't exist then, I never considered it.

Now I own a small car, 3 amps and travel about 10 miles for a weekly gig. The amp I am using is an old school 50 pounder I would NEVER ride with. (A modern copy of a classic 1960s tube amp.) But my first amp, a small 30 pound Peavey, would be a great candidate for bike rides. (It would survive a crash. It has already survived being backed into by a car. There's good reason you see so many bands with Peavey equipment. It's not the sound. It's the fact that stage crews cannot kill it.)

The idea of riding towing a BOB with that Peavey strapped on - now that sounds like fun!

Ben
Old 08-08-16, 11:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,675 Times in 7,369 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
The idea of riding towing a BOB with that Peavey strapped on - now that sounds like fun!

Ben

Many moons ago, Adventure Cycling's magazine featured a cross country cyclist who had one of those old, upright push mowers strapped to his BOB. He helped finance his trip my moving lawns along the way. He had legs like steel girders.
Old 08-09-16, 08:29 AM
wished

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never considered a BOB, thought a trailer on a bike was just a lame idea. However, we did buy our daughter & family a trailer as a Christmas gift so the grandchildren could go on bike rides with them. I doubt they ever use it from the layer of dust on it in their shed. I was visiting recently (they live 6 hours away) without my bike, and we needed some stuff from the store about a mile away. I needed a break so I told them I would take my son-in-laws (almost) unused bike, after airing up the tires, getting dirt of seat, etc. I decided to use the trailer since we needed some heavy stuff like milk and beer. I probably loaded up 50 pounds in that cheap sucker and was really surprised how well it handled, even behind that crappy poorly-maintained bike.

I still don't think I want one, happy with my panniers, but my respect for them certainly changed!