Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Shoes that recede and turn into sneakers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Shoes that recede and turn into sneakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 04:34 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I was talking about lighter weight hiking shoes, not heavy weight boots. Like my Tevas, Azolo, and Solomons.

Hiking boots for heavy loads or off trail hiking are not what the OP is looking for or what would fill the niche of sneakers..Or what I want to ride in.
I agree with what you've said and will just add that most hikers are getting away from heavy hiking boots and are transitioning to light weight trail running shoes. Unless you're hiking in the winter, they may get wet, but they also dry out quickly due to their mostly mesh uppers.
Old 05-05-21, 02:00 PM
EthanBixby

Bikes: Paketa V2R tandem, Granite Tandem Design TI travel tandem, Lynskey R265, Specialized Diverge, and of course a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have some Bontrager cycling shoes that I'd like to find again! They are set up for 2 bolt SPD cleats, and recessed for walking. They have the BOA system laces, with one velcro strap. Super stiff, like a typical road shoe, but with the recessed SPDs they are great for walking about when touring. I have two pairs of mountain bike type lugged spd shoes, but they are more flexible and a bit harder to clip in on. Can't fine the Bontragers any more, any suggestions?
Old 05-07-21, 08:29 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I just picked up a pair of Giro Rumble VR shoes for my upcoming European tour. Super comfortable right out of the box, and off the bike they feel exactly like lightweight hiking shoes.

Giro Rumble VR
Old 05-07-21, 01:22 PM
Motorazr

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Diverge Elite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I just picked up a pair of Giro Rumble VR shoes for my upcoming European tour. Super comfortable right out of the box, and off the bike they feel exactly like lightweight hiking shoes.
Giro Rumble VR
Just for reference;
  • The Giro Rumble VR shoes weigh in at 850g for the pair
  • My Merrell Alverstone Hiking Shoes weigh 764g
  • The Scott MTB Comp Boa shoes I picked after trying lots of different MTB and XC shoes is 740g
  • The very light Shimano RX8 Gravel shoe weighs in at just 530g
Unless one is racing, then comfort probably takes priority over grams. Still, "comfort" depends in part of what type of pedal is used in combination with the stiffness of the shoe. For example, Shimano's current MTB shoes - the MT3, MT5, and MT7 - only have a stiffness index of "4" on Shimano's own 0-12 scale. Shimano recommends wide, caged SPD pedals for that stiffness level. You have to get up to a Shimano shoe stiffness index of "6" before they recommend use with a bare SPD pedal like the PD-M520, M540, or M8100.
Likes For Motorazr:
Old 05-07-21, 03:05 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
But lord do I hate toeclips. Can't get in them, can't get out of them. I'm not even sure they really work.
Failure to master a technology does not mean it does not work. Toe clips and straps were part of the professional peloton for many, many years until the clipless introduction and are still used in Keirin racing in Japan. I used toe clips and straps for 40 years, both with slotted cleats and with flat cycling shoes as well as sneakers, and hiking shoes for casual riding, longer rides, and short hops. Toe clips come is sizes and depths. Proper selection of clip length and depth for your foot and shoe design, and strap tightness (depending on need) determines the ease of use.

But to the OP, my SPD mountain bike shoes were very walkable for any walking I would do during a bike ride or a bike meander. The recessed SPD cleats never clicked on any smooth tiled floors. The heel lugs made walking easy. I would not choose them for a 5 mile walk, but for walking during a ride for a break or meal was natural. Some of the other models like the Bontrager would probably be even more sneaker-like, but stiff for riding and clipping in.

I moved away from the SPD pedals, and back to toeclips and straps using flat, stiff, lace-up mountain bike shoes designed for pinned platform pedals. I did this so a quick hop in sneakers or hiking shoes was possible without putting on SPD or other dedicated cycling shoes. I avoided pinned platform pedals to avoid tearing up my legs. These flat bike shoes look like sneakers. 5-10 and Shimano make them as do others in many colors. Additionally, it felt more natural to me after so many years in TC&S.
Old 05-08-21, 05:51 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
... I avoided pinned platform pedals to avoid tearing up my legs....
Wow, you can't pedal a bicycle without "tearing up" your legs? Failed to "master the technology" of flat pedals? Damn.

(That "passive aggressive" BS works both ways.)
Old 05-09-21, 10:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
An alternate suggestion is go with flats with a big platform. That eliminates the need for stiffness under the ball of the foot.
This is the way I’ve been riding the last five years or so. I use big platform pedals and typically wear knit running shoes until it gets below 40 degrees F. Below that I use low cut hiking shoes. It’s working great. I will say that my feet do get a workout, but I’ve had absolutely no comfort issues over that time.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 05-09-21, 10:59 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I avoided pinned platform pedals to avoid tearing up my legs.
I’ve preferred the cheap plastic pedals with molded nubs instead of metal pins. They are probably a bit less scratchy. It definitely hasn’t been an issue.

Otto
Old 05-09-21, 11:20 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
For the average cyclists studies have shown virtually no advantage to clipped in pedals. Very few cyclists actually pull on the upstroke.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-09-21, 12:23 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
For the average cyclists studies have shown virtually no advantage to clipped in pedals. Very few cyclists actually pull on the upstroke.
For steady-state, moderate-effort cycling, as tested in most of the studies, that's accurate. For sprinting and high-effort hill climbing, less so. On the rare occasions that I ride using toe clips and cleatless shoes, I have to remind myself to keep my foot on the pedal or else I repeatedly pull my foot out of the toe clip, especially when standing and climbing or accelerating. I'm not even aware that I pull back and up with my clipless pedals until I ride a bike without them.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 05-09-21, 01:16 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
My understanding is that it is biomechanically impossible to exert maximal force down with one leg and up with the other while in the sitting position you're in on a bike.

I'm not sure if it's completely impossible, or if it's just less efficient to do. Winningvracers unweight the pedal on the upside but don't pull up any more than that.

Edit: here's an article on it:
https://www.cyclefit.co.uk/journal/correct-pedalling-technique

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-09-21 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 01:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
For steady-state, moderate-effort cycling, as tested in most of the studies, that's accurate. For sprinting and high-effort hill climbing, less so. On the rare occasions that I ride using toe clips and cleatless shoes, I have to remind myself to keep my foot on the pedal or else I repeatedly pull my foot out of the toe clip, especially when standing and climbing or accelerating. I'm not even aware that I pull back and up with my clipless pedals until I ride a bike without them.
Usually when I'm trying to get quickly moving from a low speed, instaforce + clipless = rear wheel lifts.
Old 05-09-21, 02:14 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 200 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Adidas VeloSamba, if you can find them. Nicer than most of my regular shoes.

Thanks! I signed up on the Adidas website to be notified when these are in stock again. The introduced these a few month ago and they’re sold out already. A few reslers asking 2x the retail price.
Likes For momoman: