Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter base layer

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter base layer

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-19, 02:10 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
I got a merino wool mesh baselayer this morning, and wore it on a rode this afternoon.

this one: https://us-nordiclife.glopalstore.co...irt-with-inlay

I am happy to report that it works as advertised.
Super Thermo is not merino, but you’re right: it is awesome!

I use the variation with short sleeves (in combination with removable arm warmers) for commuting purposes. Long sleeves too warm for me.
Old 10-29-19, 10:57 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikewolf
Super Thermo is not merino, but you’re right: it is awesome!

I use the variation with short sleeves (in combination with removable arm warmers) for commuting purposes. Long sleeves too warm for me.
You're right I linked tot he wrong page. This is the one I have https://us.nordiclife.co.uk/collecti...l-thermo-shirt

I am thinking of getting the synthetic one too, however. It might be even better. Not sure. Price is a bit more attractive compared to the wool. Would probably be more durable too.

While I have not had a durability issue with the wool one so far, I treat it gently. Hand wash in the sink. Roll up in a towel method to get most of the water out, then air dry. When taking it on and off you'll want to be careful not to stretch it unduly. After quite a few uses at this point (probably a good 20-25 or so), I am really happy with it. It seems like it increases the comfort range of whatever I have on over top of it.
Old 10-29-19, 01:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Yes, I notice merino provides comfort in a wider temperature range than other stuff!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-29-19, 03:09 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, I notice merino provides comfort in a wider temperature range than other stuff!
I have several solid fabric (not mesh) merino base layers too. The course mesh weave itself seems to offer this property of 'range extension', beyond what merino can do along these lines by itself.

It's not night and day, but it IS noticeable to me. I think the mesh helps keep your skin a little drier, and if the next layer beyond the mesh gets a bit damp, it's not in direct contact with your skin, limiting the heat conduction problem of a wet baselayer. The overall problem of sweat and freeze cycle of those of us riding in mountainous terrain is lessened.

Last edited by Steamer; 10-29-19 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 03:33 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Interesting points, @Steamer. Thank you. Next time I need something, I'll consider that mesh thing. And a mixture of wool and synthetic is good; it adds strength.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-19-19, 08:20 AM
H.Franco

Bikes: Charlescen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My daughter usually wear maidenform baselayer leggings so I thaught its great if another good baselayer for her kindly suggest me