Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 11:00 PM
momod
Powerlifting cyclist..

Bikes: Merlin/Spectrum Ti, specialized hardrock, Indy fabs SSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'0 at 207.. im a bodybuilder, pretty lean fat wise but too heavy. Im trying to lose some muscle slowly and get to a better riding weight. I really enjoy riding for the mental side and I just did my first century at El tour de Tucson. It was a blast but pretty agonizing towards the end in honesty.. cant wait to do it again..
Old 11-22-07, 03:30 AM
Erik B

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll bite. 5'10" 242 Got back on a bike in July at 265. 200lb goal weight should hit it on or around April 15th 2008. At that time I'll get to start riding an Eriksen that fits me properly. Bikes designed for people with 30 inch inseams generally don't fit 5'10" people particulalry well. Currently logging miles on a Tacx vr trainer to keep the boredom from killing me. Snow in the ground here means I don't play outside on the bikes.

Me and Son

Thats me at 250 and thats a gift of a 3XL Hincapie jersey. It wasn't supposed to be a"goal" jersey but it ended up that way. I dunlop over at bit less these days but not lots. YET

Bike

Last edited by Erik B; 11-22-07 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-26-07, 04:35 PM
superclyde

Bikes: Hardrock Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm new to this forum as well. I'm 6'8" and 350lbs. Keep working! We'll get there.
Old 11-26-07, 05:11 PM
chainzawz
~! LIVESTRONG !~

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, I just noticed this thread (I know!)

Ok so then off I go...

My Name is Grayson I currenrtly weight 220 LBS. I am 16 (yes I know I am overweight) anyways. Two years ago I broke my ankle and I was held up for a long time, couldn't go to school (long story short the doc wanted me to get a tutor so I did). So that held me up for a long time. Then last year I did some damage to my knee and this caused a lot of issues since it was the same leg. So I didn't do much for two whole years and gained a lot of weight in the process. Now I am 16 and I am finally able to get back into biking, earlier this year I got a new road bike a LeMond Etape 2006 version. It's a great bike and I have put probably 400 miles on it I am guess (I have no cyclocomputer). So I have been enjoying that then my back wheel died on me (it cracked big time and I broke about 3 spokes) and I was 45 miles from home so I had to explain to my mom where I was and how she could get there....that was back around July. So I haven't been on the bike since. The LBS won't fix my wheels and I can't get them to send them back to LeMond....and I have had no luck with LeMond...

Next month I am finally getting new wheels and a bunch of new bike stuff...(been saving up for it!)

SO on that note (I hope you are all awake after this boring intro of mine).

I can't wait to get back onto the bike!

My goal weight is 185 for right now, once I hit that I will see whats up!

Yep thats me!

pic of my bike (not my pic)

Old 12-01-07, 11:20 PM
Panama_Red
Kickin' it old school...

Location: I live in Scottsdale, AZ but am currently working in Des Moines/Ames Iowa for a few more weeks.

Bikes: I have a 1982 or '83 Schwinn LeTour Luxe and a mid-'70s Schwinn Super Sport that is going to be needing a lot of work :)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys; I didn't realize this was a catagory! I started riding in April of '07 because of a D.U.I. and at the time weighed between 255-260 (depending on the number of beers the night before) and rode a pawn shop mountain bike 30 miles a day, 6 days a week commuting to work until it was stolen 2 months ago. I'm now down to 190ish (I'm 5' 10", by the way) and now have an older Schwinn LeTour and can't believe how much farther and faster I can ride! If you're in this to get in shape, just stick with it. I went to my folks' place for Thanksgiving and they couldn't believe how much more fit I was.

Good luck everybody!
Old 12-02-07, 11:24 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Welcome to Clyde's, Panama! Sorry to hear HOW you came to cycling, but it seems to have worked out well.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-02-07, 03:34 PM
Ventana Rider
Ironic Stompin'

Bikes: 1996 Ventana Marlble Peak FS, 2010 Veloforma Corsa, 2014 Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'3" currently 240# (but it's dropping, already down 15#)

This is my favorite ride...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Marble Peak 1.jpg (66.9 KB, 49 views)
Old 12-02-07, 09:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Welcome to all the new members. We are a pretty informal bunch so jump it when you feel like it.

Old 12-09-07, 08:40 PM
Gatorgs

Bikes: $30 garage sale huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I participated in my first team triathlon, and held down the biker leg for our team. I was standing there feeling very embarrassed with my $30 dollar garage sale bike, wearing sweat pants, and pants tucked into my socks. I intentionally moved to the very end so that I wouldn't interfere with anyone. When it was all done, not only did I finish, but I landed up in the middle. This was a fun fling, but to me it meant the world.

Although I haven't posted before, I can't tell you all how much this 5'10” 235lb (down from 260lb) guy from Eagle River, Alaska appreciates you all! Your words of encouragement and the kindness you show members is really changing peoples lives. From the bottom of my heart, my wife and 3 kids, we all THANK YOU!
Old 12-09-07, 08:42 PM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
You're very welcome - that's what this is all about! Come in and say hi more often

It's the year of the enema!
Old 12-10-07, 01:48 PM
Ventana Rider
Ironic Stompin'

Bikes: 1996 Ventana Marlble Peak FS, 2010 Veloforma Corsa, 2014 Kona Dew Plus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats. There's lots of good riding in and around Eagle River. I logged quite a few miles one summer between Eagle River and Anchorage.

Keep it up.
Old 12-13-07, 06:28 AM
asrubins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5ft 8 and 200lbs .... trying to get unfat... so riding recreationally to get fitter and trim

my cycling buddies are all between 150 and 175lbs and seem to pick very hilly rides every week - funny that (NOT)

My Trek 2000 Double rides nicely except for the damn wheels ... Bontrager Race (should be called Bontrager Flex)

Wobble on guys ...
Tony

(from Manchester, England)
Old 12-17-07, 09:30 PM
Steve Thompson

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Thought I should join in on these forums and introduce myself after many weeks of digging around this site!
I would like to think that I have ‘DENSE bones’, but really I am an 218lb, 5ft 2in, 48 year old Clydesdale needing a lot of work.......that’s what my Athena wife just told me, while we sit on the couch!
Sorry, but she does not feel like me, in sharing her thoughts on this forum and read the above line.

Like most, I rode a bike when at school and then stopped …….( did dig out my old bike and rode the London to Brighton charity ride in my early twenties, just over 50 miles) , really enjoyed that day and now wonder why I stopped riding.

So now I know it is time for me to get back into shape after adding approx. 65lbs of good American eating and portion size, since coming to the USA back in 1989.
Jumped in and bought myself a Giant OCR1 ( on sale) and also a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, couple pair of padded shorts and cycling shoes.
I have ridden this combo for only 30 minutes at a time and heart rate around 140-155, looking to ride every other day and steadily build my fitness and time.
Snowing, cold and dark here in Michigan right now, so I am indoors for a while.
Want to ride a few charity rides, maybe a time trial next year and look foreword to meeting some good people thru cycling!
Well enough rambling for now, going to England for Christmas to see ‘my old mum’ in a couple of days and will be back in two weeks……all the best for your Christmas and talk in the new year.
Any comments welcome
Regards Steve

Old 12-18-07, 12:20 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Welcome to Clyde's, Steve!

If you are interested in a great ride, see my sig!

Old 12-18-07, 11:54 AM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am an HVAC (heating and cooling) instructor. I now commute 10 miles each way four days a week. I have ridden to work off and on for the last 2.5 years, but this fall started commuting all the time. I keep adding clothing and accessories (nokian studded tires) as needed. Dressing for single digit temps is tricky!

I am 5' 11" and started at 236 lbs this fall (I put some on last summer...). I am now at 224, and hope to be at 190-195 by next spring. That is about my ideal weight. I'm not really dieting, just being careful about what I eat. I do let go a little once in awhile (holidays).

I spend alot of time in the commuting section, but pop in here too.

I hope to get back into racing next summer. Have not raced since 1988 .
Old 12-19-07, 09:20 PM
the_driver

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
6' 2" 250 lbs. Down from 300 thanks to the bicycles.

Electra Cruiser 7
Trek FX7.5
Novara Fusion

Although I stand 6' 2" I only have a 30" inseam. I'm all torso thanks to an extra vertebra, ( I never can keep my shirts tucked in ) This presents a problem with stock bikes as I can't ride a large frame because of the standover height but end up being crunched into the bars by the short top tube that comes with the small standover.

Old 12-20-07, 01:10 AM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow

Originally Posted by Steve Thompson
Thought I should join in on these forums and introduce myself after many weeks of digging around this site!
I would like to think that I have ‘DENSE bones’, but really I am an 218lb, 5ft 2in, 48 year old Clydesdale needing a lot of work.......that’s what my Athena wife just told me, while we sit on the couch!
Sorry, but she does not feel like me, in sharing her thoughts on this forum and read the above line.

Like most, I rode a bike when at school and then stopped …….( did dig out my old bike and rode the London to Brighton charity ride in my early twenties, just over 50 miles) , really enjoyed that day and now wonder why I stopped riding.

So now I know it is time for me to get back into shape after adding approx. 65lbs of good American eating and portion size, since coming to the USA back in 1989.
Jumped in and bought myself a Giant OCR1 ( on sale) and also a Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer, couple pair of padded shorts and cycling shoes.
I have ridden this combo for only 30 minutes at a time and heart rate around 140-155, looking to ride every other day and steadily build my fitness and time.
Snowing, cold and dark here in Michigan right now, so I am indoors for a while.
Want to ride a few charity rides, maybe a time trial next year and look foreword to meeting some good people thru cycling!
Well enough rambling for now, going to England for Christmas to see ‘my old mum’ in a couple of days and will be back in two weeks……all the best for your Christmas and talk in the new year.
Any comments welcome
Regards Steve

Steve you should try riding with a lower heart rate for longer periods to burn fat. Try to keep your heart rate around 125-135 or so. Get a good training book or a coach or physician with a sports medicine background and get your heart rate in the proper zone to burn fat. I made this same mistake for about a year and found I was burning carbs on 45 minute rides and finally decided to slow down the intensity and do it more often and for longer times. The "talk test" is a good measure........if you can carry on a conversation while riding without stopping to take a deep breath every other word or two then you are riding in the right zone. Its kind of like a good paced walk rather than a sprint or a jog.
Weight lifting will also help you lose weight faster since growing muscle burns fat while you are at a rest, even when sleeping. good luck I'm doing the same thing trying to get back to a lean mean love machine!
Old 12-21-07, 08:43 AM
Elwoodab
BTV 75 Seahorse

Bikes: Giant Iguana Mtn.Bike, Cannondale H700 Hybrid, Scott Speedster S10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All, I'm 6'0 and usually between 200 and 205, but due to my condition called holiday on-going glutony, better known has HOG I have been between 205 and 210. I'm really hoping to get down around 190 this summer if possible. I have a Giant Iguana Mtn. Bike since around 95, and a Cannondale H700 hybrid since 97. I am in the market for a road bike and hope to have one next week sometime. I sort of got out of biking for about 5 years and just started back last August. I have met some roadies who have taken me in, and I have enjoyed it very much. Hoping to do my first century this year. I have ridden many 50 milers but have never done more. When I get this road bike I will be interested to see how I feel after 50 miles. I will post pics later.
Tom, thanks for your efforts, and everyone, have a Very Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-07, 09:27 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome aboard! Glad to see we got that little issue worked out

Old 12-28-07, 12:54 AM
ChuckD6421 

Bikes: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2; 1986 Cannondale R800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
So it's come to this.

I'm a Clydesdale.
I probably have the most to be ashamed of. In a previous lifetime, around the 1980s anyway, I carried a USCF Category 2 racing license. Then, at 6'1" and 175 lbs. I commuted 25+ miles to work (one-way) everyday, a commute that lost ~1000' elevation going in, and gained it back on the return. I won medals and trophies and primes and hill climbs. I trained and raced with some of the then biggest names in not only American amateur racing, but also rubbed shoulders (and elbows) with some noteworthy international pros.

But I rarely had any money in my pocket (forget a savings acoount!) and finally I came to a point where I knew I wasn't of the "Elite" class, and getting a bit burnt out, and tired of being so damn poor. So I turned a page and decided it was time to go back to school for the degree I'd put off and start building some security (and maybe somewhere down the line, a family).

20+ years later, with a beautiful wife and daughter, a home in the country, still no degree (oh well), but a comfortable career, some bad personal habits (cough) and many false starts on the bike past, I find my weight blossomed to 266.

Yikes!

But that was June of this year during a much overdue physical. It was also on the eve of our relocating back to the countryside I originally trained and raced in. The past 17 years have been spent in a place that proved to be lucrative, but hostile to cyclists (any Long Islanders here?) My goal of returning has been realized.

And so has my dream of returning to the bike. I'm now under 230 lbs. and approaching 225. I live in a very hilly area and ride an 18.58 mile loop (with 1200+ feet of climbing) several times a week. That's actually tapered off somewhat since the weather's gone south, but having trained in these conditions before, venturing out isn't the scary ordeal it may be for novices; I know how to dress for it, anyway. As the weather warms I expect to expand my riding and have even signed on to a Masters team for some possible competition (TT's only, thanks.).

What a great discovery tho to find this forum where I can see that I'm not the only one wondering what these skinny-tired bikes will withstand!

Ride on!

Chuck6421
Old 12-29-07, 08:41 PM
MarkoPolo
I'm your huckleberry...

Bikes: 90's Tommasini Prestige, 2004 Seven Alaris, 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been lurking for a few months and decided it's past time to introduce myself. I'm a South Bay (Saratoga, CA) Clyde who is just getting back into cycling again after about 18 years away from it. Raising kids, work and discovering the decidedly non-aerobic pleasures of golf (not always in that order) were my excuses for getting away from riding. After hitting age 50 this year and realizing I needed to shed these extra 70-80 pounds that snuck on while I wasn't looking, I'm back on the bike and riding my way back into shape.

I started by cleaning up my old Raleigh Technium Mtn. Bike (vintage 1987) and spent a couple of months tooling around the neighborhood - long enough to realize how much I missed riding my old road bike. So I picked up a used 2005 Trek Pilot 2.1 (blue, it has to be blue) in September and have been adding miles weekly ever since. Was at 290 on June 1, now at 263 and shooting for 230 by July 1.

The Clyde/Athenas and the 50+ forums have been great resources and its reassuring to know that there are a lot of us "power-riders" out there.
Old 12-29-07, 08:52 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome aboard, both of ya!

Old 12-30-07, 11:15 AM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, I stumbled across this forum this morning and have dipped in and out all day. The stories on here are really inspiring. I have really dropped out of shape and have next to no fitness. I spent this morning adding guards and a rack to my new mount (Merida T1). I will be restarting the commuting on Wednesday first day back to work. My stats.... 5' 8" and about 120kg. I started commuting in October but work went manic for a month or so and I dropped out of it.... but after reading this thread i am going to get back on the bike and go for it. I have also set up a trainer in the garage so hopefully will be good to go. I will post pictures when i can get some done...

cheers
Rich
Old 12-30-07, 11:17 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome Rich! Glad to have you! Grab a cuppa joe and settle in!

Where are you from, by the way?

Old 12-30-07, 11:24 AM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Leicestershire, UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.