Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Planning a city bike build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Planning a city bike build

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 10:10 AM
Syscrush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A link is 12.7mm, not 10mm!
Thanks for the clarification. Looks like it should still be possible to tension the chain properly without resorting to a half-link, unless I get fussy about where I want the dropouts for some reason.
Old 02-15-12, 10:14 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
You are correct. They're wrong.
Old 02-15-12, 10:57 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The better analogy is that your grocery getter is a formula one car with no trunk space.
If we're gonna carry the analogy that far, I'll point out that you can't wear a backpack in an F1 car, but on a bike for short trips I much prefer carrying a backpack to having stuff stuck to the bike.

For longer trips, I've got a rack that fastens to the seatpost only, and a set of Knog panniers.
Old 02-15-12, 11:00 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. Can't wait to see the finished build!
Old 02-15-12, 11:07 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Syscrush
If we're gonna carry the analogy that far, I'll point out that you can't wear a backpack in an F1 car, but on a bike for short trips I much prefer carrying a backpack to having stuff stuck to the bike.

For longer trips, I've got a rack that fastens to the seatpost only, and a set of Knog panniers.
It's your bike and you've clearly made up your mind...enjoy
Old 02-15-12, 11:29 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I'm also building up what I'd call a city bike (my definition is a little different from yours) for my wife from the frame up. It's nice because when it's done it'll be customized exactly how I want it to be with a cool looking vintage lugged steel frame as the base, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably just save myself several hundred dollars and just get one of these (and deal with the not quite as beautiful welds).

Old 02-15-12, 11:43 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by himespau
I'm also building up what I'd call a city bike (my definition is a little different from yours) for my wife from the frame up. It's nice because when it's done it'll be customized exactly how I want it to be with a cool looking vintage lugged steel frame as the base, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably just save myself several hundred dollars and just get one of these (and deal with the not quite as beautiful welds).
Funny, I'm kind of going the other direction. My old road bike was a Windsor Wellington 3.0 from BD. I have no complaints about it and would recommend BD as good value for money, provided the buyer has some basic mechanical proficiency and is willing to swap some parts to get a good fit. After riding it for a year (including a 720k tour), I gave it to my brother, and he's happy with it. If I end up doing any long rides again this year, I may borrow it back, but I suspect/hope that the new bike should meet my needs just fine.

Bit more info about my BD experience here.

This time I wanted something closer to my heart's desire, which is why I'm going the custom route.

On the subject of welds, the ones on my Welly looked better than on my wife's Trek 1.2, although not as good as on my Sputnik. Of course, they all lack the charm and style of a classic lugged frame IMO.

Last edited by Syscrush; 02-23-12 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-15-12, 11:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
On the subject of welds, the ones on my Welly looked better than on my wife's Trek 1.2, although not as good as on my Sputnik. Of course, they all lack the charm and style of a classic lugged frame IMO.
Yeah, that was sort of what I was implying. The beautiful outlined lugs on the 30+ year old mixte frame I'm dealing with are one of the major benefits above a modern frame (though for some reason I decided to go derailleur rather than the IGH I'd originally planned.

Old 02-15-12, 01:26 PM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by bradtx
Syscrush, Keep us updated on this build, I like it. I think when time and money allows a set of 1/4" steel or 3/8" aluminum horizontal dropouts can be manufactured with a little more adjustment range (perhaps including more tire and fender clearance?). It would also clean up the rear a bit without the RD hanger (which, IMHO, shouldn't be sawn off).
Thanks very much for the suggestion.

After sending the builder some detail photos of the axle and lock washers in the dropouts, we've decided to go this route. Vertical dropouts can be made to work, but they should be deeper than these. Still haven't decided whether to stick with the adjustable vertical dropout, or fixed horizontal dropout. I'll post some pics once the new parts are fabbed up.
Old 02-16-12, 06:20 PM
Syscrush

Got a package today...

I never had the Tektro calipers from my other bikes off the bike and in my hand, so I don't have a good frame of reference, but I was shocked at how light these calipers are.

Funny, they're less than twice the price of Tektro's, while Campy levers are ~7x the price of the similar Tektros... Campy calipers & Tektro levers it is!!!
Old 02-16-12, 09:23 PM
Syscrush

Looked up some specs, seems the Tektro R540's are very similar in weight, maybe a bit lighter (not clear if the Tektro measurement includes the mounting nut & bolt or not), and the Tektro's have a quick release, which the Campy's lack. Still, I'm pleased with my find and I'm looking forward to seeing these guys on the bike!
Old 02-16-12, 09:26 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
And there are other methods for mounting full fenders on tight bicycles. I've read about many of them in the Mechanics section of bike forums.

This bike was totally not designed for fenders, and in fact can't even take tires larger than 700x23. But I managed to fit standard full-coverage SKS fenders:

Old 02-16-12, 09:27 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Just ther opposite is true. With vertical dropouts, no adjustment of chain tension is needed when removing and installing the wheel.
What happens as the chain wears?
Old 02-17-12, 06:44 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by southpawboston
This bike was totally not designed for fenders, and in fact can't even take tires larger than 700x23. But I managed to fit standard full-coverage SKS fenders:
Wow, that looks great. I really like the black rims and gumwall tires, too.

How did you fit those fenders? Looks like there's barely any clearance - it must have been a very fussy job. I would assume that changing the rear wheel requires some playing with the fender, also.
Old 02-17-12, 06:45 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by southpawboston
What happens as the chain wears?
That would require adjustment of the dropouts. But a wheel re&re for any reason other than worn chain would not require adjustment of the dropouts.
Old 02-17-12, 07:11 AM
Barchettaman

Bikes: Focus trash find commuter, Eddy Merckx Corsa, BP Stealth TT bike, Leader 720 TT bike, Boardman Comp Hybrid drop bar conversion, Quantec CX budget cyclocross build, SerottaNOS frameset ready to build up!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 69 Posts
South Paw Boston is too modest to post his ´How to´on fitting road bike fenders, so I´ll do it for him. :-)

https://bostonretrowheelmen.blogspot....-bike-not.html
Old 02-17-12, 09:01 AM
Syscrush

Originally Posted by Barchettaman
South Paw Boston is too modest to post his ´How to´on fitting road bike fenders, so I´ll do it for him. :-)

https://bostonretrowheelmen.blogspot....-bike-not.html
Thanks for the link, and thanks SPB for the detailed writeup. Even though it makes me think maybe I do need to get this bike painted...
Old 02-17-12, 02:55 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I like where you're going with this build, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as a "city bike".
Depends on what city. Here in Chicago the hipsters would love it -especially the Deep-V's!
Old 02-21-12, 09:25 PM
Syscrush

Another package today, hopefully the rest (pedals, hubbub adapter, cable guides) will arrive soon, but the big question mark is the Deep-V's. Special ordered a week ago, the shop guys say it usually takes 2 weeks.

Non-exciting seatpost that I think will look appropriate for the bike, especially once the Origin8 logos are polished out:

Old 02-21-12, 09:31 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
subscribing
Old 02-21-12, 10:38 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Maybe you can save the $50+ that the Hubbub costs by using this setup courtesy Sheldon Brown:

He mounted a cut-down MTB bar end on the quill of the stem, then mounted the twist shifter on it.
Old 02-22-12, 07:20 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
Maybe you can save the $50+ that the Hubbub costs by using this setup courtesy Sheldon Brown:

He mounted a cut-down MTB bar end on the quill of the stem, then mounted the twist shifter on it.
That kludge and the Hubub were necessary when you could only get crappy plastic twist shifters for the new SA hubs, but it's no longer the case.
Old 02-22-12, 08:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,827 Times in 1,063 Posts
That kludge and the Hubub were necessary when you could only get crappy plastic twist shifters for the new SA hubs, but it's no longer the case.
When was the Classic Trigger Shifter out of production?
Old 02-22-12, 08:15 AM
Syscrush

True, but I'm stuck with the hubbub because the new SA hubs - the (W) wide-range versions - are effectively not available. As noted earlier in the thread, I'm using the older version with a 225% range instead of the new (W) version with 256% range, and the older hubs have a different shifter pull than the new ones. So I'm stuck with the crappy plastic twist shifter.

I'm using the hubbub instead of the approach shown above because I think that it's marginally less ugly, and significantly handier.

What I've been daydreaming about is having my own travel agent type of adapter made that will adjust the pull to allow me to use a brifter to shift either this hub, or the (W) version once I'm able to get my mitts on one.

Apparently you can also do a DIY hubbub by cutting down a discarded quill: the end that would normally go into the steerer goes into your bar end, and the shifter mounts onto the extension as with a hubbub.
Old 02-22-12, 08:24 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
True, but I'm stuck with the hubbub because the new SA hubs - the (W) wide-range versions - are effectively not available.
I'm not sure who told you that. Your LBS could order one today as well as either the 5(w) thumb or bar end shifter.

I recently built a wheel for my mom's bike with the X-RF5 and also ordered the SA thumb shifter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.