Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Folders in the wild - post your photos

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Folders in the wild - post your photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 07:11 PM
GTA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
OK,...custom mods? And definitely not a Jetstream P8 available where I live,... HOTT BIKE!!!
Just some parts have been replaced with decent ones. It is basically still a Jetstream P8.
It is really a interesting bike, and not like the Birdy, you can easily find compatible parts from the market to upgrade your Jetstream.
The retails price is also much more reasonable.
Perhaps you can contact DAHON if you are inerested, I am sure their is a way to get one. :-)
Old 05-02-18, 12:14 AM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by GTA
DAHON in the wild
Can you review the Jetsteam a bit?

How does it ride on trails and roads?

Can it handle larger stony terrain?

Is suspension losses a problem when riding fast on roads? and can the suspension be locked out (and how easy is that?)?

What about luggage carrying capability/options?
Old 05-02-18, 12:43 AM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam

Is suspension losses a problem when riding fast on roads? and can the suspension be locked out (and how easy is that?)?

Hi there, in general, it can work pretty well on both trails and roads, but better with some modifications.
The front "TopGun" fork cannot be locked. ( I am seeking a "German A-Kilo" fork, which has a lockable air suspention, to replace it)
The rear supension of my Jetstream is alrealy upgraded, so you can tune it to be firmer or softer easily.
For trail use, normally I put on wider tires to get more grip. Schwalbe Black Jack is a good choice. Obviously, the Kojak tires are more for roads.
The only issue is the weight. I am already using some lightweighted parts but it weighs still 11.5 kg now.
I would like to get more carbon and titanium parts to hit 10 kg, but only when I have the budget... :-)

I am not considering to put any rack on it, because for long distance touring I prefer a hard tail and lighter bike.
Old 05-02-18, 01:20 AM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by GTA
Hi there, in general, it can work pretty well on both trails and roads, but better with some modifications.
The front "TopGun" fork cannot be locked. ( I am seeking a "German A-Kilo" fork, which has a lockable air suspention, to replace it)
The rear supension of my Jetstream is alrealy upgraded, so you can tune it to be firmer or softer easily.
For trail use, normally I put on wider tires to get more grip. Schwalbe Black Jack is a good choice. Obviously, the Kojak tires are more for roads.
The only issue is the weight. I am already using some lightweighted parts but it weighs still 11.5 kg now.
I would like to get more carbon and titanium parts to hit 10 kg, but only when I have the budget... :-)

I am not considering to put any rack on it, because for long distance touring I prefer a hard tail and lighter bike.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Old 05-03-18, 09:38 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Took a trip to Vancouver from Toronto and brought my Brompton. First time using the B & W hard shell case. The photo is at the Olympic flame that was lit during the winter Olympics in 2010. Did lots of riding around Stanley Park and surrounding area.

Old 05-11-18, 04:30 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 594 Posts
Dahon Speed P8 resting in the urban jungle,...
Old 05-12-18, 07:15 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Airnimal Joey in Big Bend National Park, Texas

And in the motel room

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-12-18 at 07:21 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 05-12-18, 06:55 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Airnimal Joey in Big Bend National Park, Texas

And in the motel room

wheels are ISO520?

besides the pressure differences, i can feel rotational.differences between 406 and 451. 406 accelerates quicker than but does not retain momentum as well as 451. i wonder how 520, a bigger difference between 451 than between 451 and 406, and closer to 559, rides...
Old 05-13-18, 03:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
wheels are ISO520?

besides the pressure differences, i can feel rotational.differences between 406 and 451. 406 accelerates quicker than but does not retain momentum as well as 451. i wonder how 520, a bigger difference between 451 than between 451 and 406, and closer to 559, rides...
That model takes 507 or 520, I have 507. I am not sure the full history of that model, mine is the older version that can't use a front derailleur (thus, I have the Sram Dual Drive) and the older version chainstays have minimal clearance for a wider tire. I tried a 1.75 tire once, the chainstays did not provide adequate clearance, thus 1.5 width is all I can run. The bike as shown has Schwalbe Marathon 24 X 1.5 (559X40), but that tire no longer is available in that width. Since that tire size is quite rare, I have several tires in storage and when I go somewhere like that Texas trip, I brought two spare tubes and a spare tire. I think that they changed the chainstay design when they added a fitting for a front derailleur to allow a wider tire. My older model also uses rim brakes, that model currently is fitted with disc.

Handling. The handling is quite good. Compared to my 26 inch (559) bikes, the steering is lighter, but that might be from a different amount of trail or it might be from less rotational inertia. As far as momentum accelerating or decelerating, that bike is lighter than my 26 inch bikes, so I am not sure how much of the difference in handling is from rotational mass or how much from bike weight.

When I bought that bike frame and built it up, that model with 24 inch wheels was advertised as being a folder that handled as good as a full size regular bike. I like the handling of it, I do not find that the smaller wheel size makes the ride rougher. On that trip in Texas, many of the paved roads were quite rough, you can see in the photo how rough the pavement is. On the first day I had front tire pressure in the high 50s (psi) and the ride was rather rough on my hands but the second day I dropped my front tire pressure to the low 40s and that rode much better.

The tall seat post and seatpost extension means that there is a lot of fore and aft flex that you do not feel on a normal road bike. That bothered me a lot when I first built up the bike, but after riding it for a while I no longer notice it. It now feels like a normal full size road bike to me.

On that trip in Texas, that was a van supported bike trip for a week. The van hauled our camping gear for us and all the cooking gear. There were a dozen riders, I had the only folding bike. The other bikes were a mix of road, cyclocross, gravel and touring bikes. All had drop bars, no mountain bikes in the group. I think my folder handled as well as the other bikes, speed wise it was probably as fast as I would have been on a full size 559 bike with the same tire width of 1.5 (40mm).

I have owned that bike for years, but have not ridden it very much. I wanted to try it for an extended trip to see how it worked out. It exceeded my expectations. I am not sure if I will put racks and panniers on it for a camping trip or not, but I would not rule that out if I could keep my load relatively light. But I have full size touring bikes, so if I was to use that on a camping trip there would have to be a reason to use that particular bike over the others.

As folders go, that is a large bike. To pack that into a case that does not exceed airline luggage size criteria takes a lot of work. To fit it in my S&S case (26 X 26 X 10 inches), I have to pull the fork out of it, crank arms off, etc. It takes about as much work to pack for airline travel as my S&S coupled bike.
Old 05-15-18, 01:58 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Originally Posted by pinholecam

Hey Pinholecam, my SG pusher reports there's a lonesome Jetstream EX with German Kilo A fork sitting in an industrial park looking for a home. You intetested?
Old 05-15-18, 02:11 AM
pinholecam

Hey Pinholecam, my SG pusher reports there's a lonesome Jetstream EX with German Kilo A fork sitting in an industrial park looking for a home. You intetested?
Thanks, but I got too many bikes in the house at the moment.

Its certainly a bike that perks my interest being in the 20" foldable package, being able to take a wide range of narrow and wide tires as well as a suspension if I decide to do rougher MTB type trails overseas.
But as you know, houses in SGP are not big and I already have a few bikes.
Old 05-16-18, 03:14 PM
anrque

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by splithub
..also on my Spin in 49-406. They were a lucky shot, there was no alternative available in weight, volume, price. The other good things about came unexpected.
Splithub, can you provide any details about the front fork and stem/riser on your Spin?
Old 05-16-18, 09:42 PM
splithub

Bikes: FSIR Spin 2.0/Spin 5.1 Noahhk iF10

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by anrque
Splithub, can you provide any details about the front fork and stem/riser on your Spin?
...it is the cheap stuff you can find dozens on aliexpress. i dont recommend! the paint finish is great, the headset cone seat and outer axle nut seats i had to mill over to make it work. compared to the bombproof full carbon fork of my Java Air it appears like a joke, absurdly lightweight and fragile, but i ran down 15m stairs with it accidentally (4:30am half sleeping on my way to work, thinking i am on my 29 MTB) on it with my 90+ kilos and it didnt break.
Old 05-19-18, 12:56 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can a minivelo intrude?

Tyrell CSI at the Imperial Palace, Tokyo.

Old 05-19-18, 03:07 PM
kayakindude

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR600/BioPace, 1991 Cannondale Road Tandem,1994 Giant Iguana MB, 2009 Airnimal Chameleon, 2016 Dahon Vybe C7A

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
My 2nd trip with the Airnimal was to Houston. Great bike paths this was in front of the Houston zoo.
Old 05-19-18, 06:29 PM
Abu Mahendra

Originally Posted by kidshibuya
Can a minivelo intrude?

look nice, Kid. How much coin did you drop on that?
Old 05-19-18, 09:21 PM
kidshibuya

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
look nice, Kid. How much coin did you drop on that?
Thanks. I had it built to my exact specs, every single part is the absolute best I could find to combine performance/weight/style from the titanium QRs to the carbon Ergon bar ends. Total cost was somewhere over $5000 usd.

My excuse for spending so much is that its like my car, I will use it to go everywhere. The trouble with that is that I am afraid to park it at the train station while at work, you cant lock your bike properly in Japan and the bike racks damage your wheels. So now I am thinking ill just keep riding my dahon ;( ;(
Old 05-21-18, 06:47 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Amsterdam
Old 05-21-18, 11:47 PM
pinholecam

Originally Posted by kidshibuya
Can a minivelo intrude?

Wow! Beautiful bike.

Despite the low crime rate, I did suffer the lost of my cousin's market bike in Tokyo, even though its supposed to be a rare occurrence.
So I don't think locking it outside is a good idea.
I have see decent looking road bikes locked on the fence outside the Asakusa area though.
Old 05-29-18, 08:15 PM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Origami Crane on the Farmington River (CT) at dusk.
Old 05-29-18, 08:16 PM
unionmanbirch

Bikes: Origami Crane 8, 1985 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Origami Crane on the Farmington River (CT) at dusk.
Old 06-01-18, 02:45 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 61 Posts
Pre-weekend beer run... stiff aluminum frame a huge plus when towing a trailer full of beer!

Old 06-02-18, 01:38 AM
Hauman666
Boognishrising

Bikes: BCA folder circa 1988

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BCA folder owner

Hi, I ran across a BCA Folder for sale a couple years ago and it caught my eye and I purchased it at what I feel was a fair price. I've searched all over the web looking for more of the BCA Folders and have had almost zero luck getting any information at all about it. In all my searching I only found one single picture of this bike , it was for sale on eBay but had sold by the time I found it so no information about the bike from the seller was available. So maybe you can help me a little. I just have a couple questions so here goes. As far as quality goes , how would rate the bike? Is it really as rare as it appears to be? Does it have any value or did I waste my money? Thanks, I'll try to figure out how to attach a photo of the bike to this.
Old 06-02-18, 01:39 AM
Hauman666
Boognishrising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BCA folder owner

Trying to get a picture to show you all. Having trouble
Old 06-02-18, 01:42 AM
Hauman666
Boognishrising

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BCA folder owner

How long where the BCA folding bike in production?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.