Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clydesdales unite!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clydesdales unite!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-05, 02:34 PM
dhclark76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that someone needs to work up a Clydesdale chart, kinda like the BMI chart. It should definitely be a sliding scale, but at the same time there should at least be a minimum height. For instance, consider that a Clydesdale is taller than the average horse. Take me for an example, I'm 5'9" 220-230 pounds. Weight-wise, I'm definitely a Clyde, but height-wise, not so much. So I'm really more like a really fat quarter-arab mix (a great endurance/strength combination with surefootedness, good in the mountains) at least that's how I like to see myself (and luckily my weight is distributed so that I don't look obese, just stocky) but I digress...

Consequently, since the main portion of the bell curve really would place most guys from 5'8"-5'11" in the average height range, people who are in this range can't really be full clydes, and perhaps should really be designated "Mini-Clydes" (those shorter than 5'8" begin to fall into the "Toy Clydes" category. <> Also, there has to be a minimum weight at these heights. I think the BMI chart is a good place to start; but since we all know that it is largely wack, weight-wise Clydes should be all those who fall under the category of obese (rather than merely overweight) on the BMI.

Now, before any short people find themselves getting up in arms about the whole "Toy Clydes" comment, remember that I'm just poking fun. Besides I'm probably only about 15 years away from losing an inch and ending up dangerously close to that category myself. So I'm proposing five distinct categories to consider:
"Super Clydes" (you know, the all-around really big guys)
"Skinny Clydes" (for those who are too tall to not be considered a Clyde, but really aren't overweight for their height)
"Clydes" (your average combination of big and/or tall)
"Compact Clydes" (of superior build, though average height)
"Mini (or Toy) Clydes" (these are the mini-me's of the "Clydes" world)

So what do ya all think.

By the way, I'm a Clyde who has been away from cycling for a while, and got back into it because I became a "Clyde" (compact). Just bought a new LeMond frame that I'm building up, and I'm excited to start pouding the pavement again. My goal is actually to get myself out of the Clyde territory. Although, in my heart (and probably my rear) I'll always be a Clyde (compact).

Doug
Old 09-05-05, 03:10 PM
heffalump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the world of cycling. I have been pushing around my old mountain bike on slicks for a few weeks now and have decided to purchase a road bike. I am 6'1" and 240lb (185cm/109kg).
My question is as follows: What kind of bike should I buy that will safely support my weight? Is this a silly question given that most riders seem to be an easy 25% lighter then me? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-05, 03:58 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornbread
Seriously, what the hel^ are you wearing?
It's my hot ****zy pepper suit!
Old 09-05-05, 05:19 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterSezFaster
At the end of last years season i was at 315. I am now down to 289 and working my way back to racing weight at around 240.

Unfortunatly I do not have any recent photos of me on my bike except in full dh gear and you can not tell how big I realy am because if that. So instead i am posting 2 pics not cycling related. The first was when we bought our most recent horse (actually 4 years ago) and I was 265lbs at the time. The second is a pic my wife snaped while up at Lake Arrowhead wake boarding. I was 285 in that pic.

Here I am on Belle Starr. First time anyone was ever on her back.

And this is the one from Arrowhead.

you look like you wanna beat the crap out of the boat pulling you. You must instill fear when on your dh bike following some sport class little man..hahaha
Old 09-05-05, 05:26 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by heffalump
I am new to the world of cycling. I have been pushing around my old mountain bike on slicks for a few weeks now and have decided to purchase a road bike. I am 6'1" and 240lb (185cm/109kg).
My question is as follows: What kind of bike should I buy that will safely support my weight? Is this a silly question given that most riders seem to be an easy 25% lighter then me? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,
you are right to be concerned. It's not a big deal, but a fair amount of stuff has a weight limit. Ok, there are different kinds of road riding. There is loaded touring, which is camping with a bicycle. There is touring lite, where you travel around, but stay in hotels or motels. I like that. There is commuting, distance events (centuries and beyond), fast group rides (usully 15mph average or 20 mph) and racing.

There are a number of bikes that kinda blur the categories.So you can say yes to any category you want to. But before we go any farther.... what sort of riding did you have in mind. And what is the budget for the bike?
Old 09-05-05, 07:37 PM
Dewbert
Mettle to the Pedals

Bikes: Giant Cypress hyrbrid, Giant OCR2, Giant OCRc2, Giant Suede (wife's)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6'2" and 225# (down almost 100# from a year and a half ago)
Old 09-05-05, 08:49 PM
heffalump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Late

Thank you for your reply. I would like to get into racing.

My budget is limited to US$1500 for the bike, shoes and pedals can additional.

I have to keep in mind the fact that this will be my first bike and that I should not go overboard. The transition from Mountain bike to Road bike will no doubt be incredible.

Thanks for your help
Old 09-05-05, 10:11 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dewbert
6'2" and 225# (down almost 100# from a year and a half ago)
major kudos!!!!
Old 09-05-05, 11:16 PM
tinrobot
Spit out the back

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
6'3" 250, down from 270 at the start of the summer and on my way further down to probably around 220-230.

Because I'm so large, I chose a steel bike and fitted it with 32 spoke wheels and 28c tires. It totally rocks. The 20 spokers that originally came with the bike felt way too flimsy and I also kept getting flats on the 23c tires, probably because of weight.
Old 09-06-05, 06:28 AM
khackney
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neutrino
Riding the Dragon? Kick Ass!!!
Cherohala Skyway ... but close to The Dragon. A few less knee draggers on this side.
Old 09-06-05, 06:52 AM
khackney
Bicycle Luge Racer

Bikes: Modern, old, fixed, mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of bike should I buy that will safely support my weight?
Most aluminum frames at your price point will be fine. Steel frames would be fine too. The weakest link will be wheels. As long as you don't go for some low spoke count racing wheels you should do OK. I weighed a little more than you a couple of years ago when I got back into serious riding. I started out with a budget priced Aluminum Fuji with Alex 32 spoke wheels. It worked fine. As your conditioning improves you'll start to put more pressure on the drivetrain. But, you'll probably be down in weight so it all works out. If you look at any component that boasts about being super light, it's probably rider weight limited. That goes for seats, pedals, carbon fiber bits, wheels and even some frames. The hard reality is that at our weight the grams of the components don't matter that much anyway.

For 1500 you should be able to get a solid bike with Ultegra drivetrain. I would look to stay with 32 spoke wheels. Pick a maker with a good frame warranty and ride. Cannondale for instance, has a lifetime warranty
on their Aluminum frames. A lot of others are 5 years.
Old 09-06-05, 07:24 AM
4SEVEN3

Bikes: Trek 4300 converted into SS, Mongoose Cannan Elite, GT Pro Carbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khackney
Cherohala Skyway ... but close to The Dragon. A few less knee draggers on this side.
I was thinkin that the Dragon would be a bit on the risky side the way some people ride/drive that thing!

Good pic none the less!
Old 09-06-05, 07:34 AM
Ant

Bikes: Trek 1200 : Trek 3700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it should be a sliding scale thing. Mostly because if the cutoff is 200 lbs. I won't really qualify anymore.
Old 09-06-05, 09:16 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12196 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Hi Late

Thank you for your reply. I would like to get into racing.

My budget is limited to US$1500 for the bike, shoes and pedals can additional.

I have to keep in mind the fact that this will be my first bike and that I should not go overboard. The transition from Mountain bike to Road bike will no doubt be incredible.

Thanks for your help
Hi,
you won't know which kind of racing is going to grab you until you try it.
Not much point in getting a crit bike if you wind up doing cross. There are going to be lots of good bikes, quite a few of them on sale this time of year.
Try a few steel bikes to start. Try a Jamis Quest. https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_quest.html
And a Specialized Allez Steel
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=9360
If you get the chance, just for the heck of it try a Gunnar Roadie.
Unless you find it on sale, it's too much money. But try it
and tell me what you think.
Old 09-06-05, 09:35 AM
ZappCatt
Back to being a Clyde....

Bikes: Giant OCR1(specialized carbon seatpost,Terry Fly sadle, Syntace C2): Leader TT frame, Easton EC70fork, Aerolite bars, nashbar bullhorn, Titan Wheels: Fuji Track Pro(2003)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another option would be to go used for your first(road) bike. I bought a bike at the top of my price range, and after a year of riding, now know that I want something different.

I went with a triple and ultegra..whereas I should have gone double, and could have gotten by with 105...

I find it hard to just toss this bike and buy a new one...whereas if I had gone used, it would be a lot easier.
Old 09-06-05, 09:50 AM
neutrino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized is no longer making steel framed Allez for '06.