Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-13, 12:27 PM
Miami Biker

Bikes: 2018 Cervelo R5 DA Zipp 404s 2014 Cervelo R5, 2012 Scott Metrix 10 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Hi all. Started biking five years ago after losing my bike for 45 years with last two years on road bike. Been trying to gain speed and averaging 15 for this year. Trying to go faster but coming slowly. Have averaged 16 for 40+ miles a few times with little wind. Wish started sooner so could be faster as never seem to pass anyone on a road bike.

Just passed 4,000 miles for year with average trip 40 miles. Prefer to get out early when cooler in Summer time but also like to be done by noon time. Prefer to ride before eating to force body to get nutrition from current stores. You all are an inspiration as I explore what's possible.

ed
Old 11-07-13, 07:46 PM
eghaley

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 520, Canondale fat tire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I like to ride in the sunshine, summer or winter, so thats why I don't want to do early rides. I guess I'm weird.
You're not alone, Ron. Typically I wait until the schools are open and everyone should be there. That way I won't have to deal with kids driving and using all their electronic social gadgets. Likewise, I'm off the road by 2:30 pm. That gives me a window of about 6 hours during the school week. On weekends and non-school days I can start a couple hours earlier.

At 70, I thought I was beginning to slow down a bit when riding on very warm or hot days. In June, I rode Bicycle Across Kansas (BAK) during days when the temps ranged from 95 to 103F. One day I had to visit the hospital for an IV after a diagnosis of dehydration. That's the first time that happened even after a few RAGBRAI rides of similar heat. You can be sure I upped my water and G2 Gatorade.

But it didn't seem to make a difference when I got home and rode on hot days. After about 30 miles, I started bonking and had to quit. Never happened before. I felt great after 15 miles of warmup and could hammer quite well. But once I reached 25 miles, I began getting short of breath and very tired. So I began to think it was something other than dehydration. Long story short, after trying a few modifications, the problems stopped after I quit taking baby aspirins every other day. I had to be free of aspirin for 4 days or so to have a trouble free ride of 50 miles or so. I guess thinning out your blood isn't conducive to bike riding long distances (my long days are 85 miles).

So up here in the tundra (central NY), when the ice cometh, indoor riding begins. I hope to maintain some semblance of being fit so I can step into the season next March for Bike Florida again (I did BF in March this year). Hope to do more self-contained touring with my BOB trailer before the heat of summer. Been gathering gear for trips slowly. Just bought a Marmot Helium Membrain sleeping bag. Ouch! Big bucks; but a sale at Backcountry saved me 25%.

Hope to see you grey haired ladies and gents on the road. Maybe there's enough of us to plan a weeks tour somewhere in a warm clime for the first ride next year. Any interest? Be glad to organize and/or help.

Love the whirrrrrrr of my front tire. That helps put me to sleep at night - dream on ....... ;-))
Old 11-07-13, 08:22 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by eghaley
Long story short, after trying a few modifications, the problems stopped after I quit taking baby aspirins every other day. I had to be free of aspirin for 4 days or so to have a trouble free ride of 50 miles or so. I guess thinning out your blood isn't conducive to bike riding long distances (my long days are 85 miles).
I'm not sure my cardiologist would like that. My cholesterol is always low (~165) but because I have a bad heart (hereditary problem) he wants me taking an 81 mg aspirin every morning and 40 mg simvastatin every night. Now my cholesterol is ~95. Been doing it for 4 years. I'm getting a new cardiologist since we moved last month. I'll talk with him about my meds.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-08-13, 06:48 AM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In June, I rode Bicycle Across Kansas (BAK) during days when the temps ranged from 95 to 103F. One day I had to visit the hospital for an IV after a diagnosis of dehydration. That's the first time that happened even after a few RAGBRAI rides of similar heat. You can be sure I upped my water and G2 Gatorade.

But it didn't seem to make a difference when I got home and rode on hot days. After about 30 miles, I started bonking and had to quit. Never happened before. I felt great after 15 miles of warmup and could hammer quite well. But once I reached 25 miles, I began getting short of breath and very tired. So I began to think it was something other than dehydration. Long story short, after trying a few modifications, the problems stopped after I quit taking baby aspirins every other day. I had to be free of aspirin for 4 days or so to have a trouble free ride of 50 miles or so. I guess thinning out your blood isn't conducive to bike riding long distances (my long days are 85 miles).
I had the same problem this summer, and the first thing they said in the hospital was "Get off that Crestor". Apparently it exacerbates any problems due to dehydration, and can really lead to kidney damage. I'm still having issues, but can manage the long rides if I'm prepared to put up with the nights of leg cramps afterwards. Passed my 72nd Birthday last week.
Old 11-08-13, 07:03 AM
eghaley

Bikes: Trek 2.1, Trek 520, Canondale fat tire

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take Tums for leg cramps

Originally Posted by JohnBerry
I had the same problem this summer, and the first thing they said in the hospital was "Get off that Crestor". Apparently it exacerbates any problems due to dehydration, and can really lead to kidney damage. I'm still having issues, but can manage the long rides if I'm prepared to put up with the nights of leg cramps afterwards. Passed my 72nd Birthday last week.
Those leg cramps during and post ride are something else. They're the worst when trying to sleep after a long ride. For me, whenever they creep up on me I take half dozen Tums (I like the fruity flavors) and chew them. Within a few minutes the cramps are gone. Easy relief.
Old 11-12-13, 03:01 PM
GeorgeLeslie

Bikes: EPX 202 Road Bike; Fuji Ace Road Bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, is there a bike shop in the area who honors AARP?

62 year old cyclist here. I am still recovering from total hip replacement and after 2 months can resume spinning again (too dark in the AM for road riding now). Biking is fine, but walking with a limp (especially after sitting for a while).

Remember the day when Orvile and Wilbur made that flying bicycle?
Old 11-12-13, 04:25 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by GeorgeLeslie
So, is there a bike shop in the area who honors AARP?
Never heard of a bike shop giving AARP discounts.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 11-14-13, 03:40 PM
GeorgeLeslie

Bikes: EPX 202 Road Bike; Fuji Ace Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a bike shop offering the $0.95 senior citizen coffee and bagel special?

(It's a joke, silly)
Old 11-18-13, 08:36 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last week while driving to a nearby store I saw a bike sitting on the curb with a "Free" sign on it so I stopped to take a look just-in-case it was worth saving from the scrap heap. It was a like new, Sekai 1000 that it turns out from the MN I.D. # on the bottom of the frame in my handwriting was "My" old bike! I mean, you cannot make this stuff up - life is sure strange sometimes. It was in the same condition it was in when I sold it back in about 1980 and then stepped up to a better bike. I took this one home, cleaned off the 1/4inch of dust from it and was amazed that it didn't look any the worse for wear than when I sold it. I took it to my favorite bike shop for a "go-through" by their good mechanic and to get some new tires and tubes so I can ride it again new spring just for old times sake. I have no idea who had it all those years but whoever did sure didn't ride it nor let it be exposed to the weather. Amazing!! 8-)
Old 11-18-13, 08:55 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky1405
Last week while driving to a nearby store I saw a bike sitting on the curb with a "Free" sign on it so I stopped to take a look just-in-case it was worth saving from the scrap heap. It was a like new, Sekai 1000 that it turns out from the MN I.D. # on the bottom of the frame in my handwriting was "My" old bike! I mean, you cannot make this stuff up - life is sure strange sometimes. It was in the same condition it was in when I sold it back in about 1980 and then stepped up to a better bike. I took this one home, cleaned off the 1/4inch of dust from it and was amazed that it didn't look any the worse for wear than when I sold it. I took it to my favorite bike shop for a "go-through" by their good mechanic and to get some new tires and tubes so I can ride it again new spring just for old times sake. I have no idea who had it all those years but whoever did sure didn't ride it nor let it be exposed to the weather. Amazing!! 8-)
Cool Story: Post some pics where the bike was found and of the bike Please.

Old 11-18-13, 12:43 PM
RonH
Life is good

Tried a new sport today -- dragon boat racing. Now my shoulders, chest, and upper arms are sore. Next practice is next Saturday. Can't do the Wednesday practice. I need time to rest up.
https://www.meetup.com/Nature-Coast-Dragon-Boat-Club/

One of the paddlers is a BF member so now I have a group to ride with too.

Old 11-18-13, 04:31 PM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I get the bike home from the shop I will post a photo of it. It looks pretty darn good for a 30 plus year old bike.
Old 11-23-13, 06:39 AM
tsurr

Bikes: Trek Madone, Trek 6700, Gary Fisher Hyb.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Soon To Be 70

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Well, should we make this a "sticky?" A sort of sub-forum of 50+?

Seems like we have about 10 of us 65+'rs responding (or so) - and a whole lot of 65-'rs.
and still riding. I have been riding for 30 plus years and still enjoy it , brings out the boy in me. I ride with a group that are for the most part over 60. I enjoy riding with the kids, fifty and under .Will get close to 6000 miles this year.
Old 11-23-13, 06:48 AM
tsurr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
sounds fun, I am in East Tennessee and we still are getting to ride up until now, rain and cooler weather
Old 11-23-13, 11:17 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tsurr
and still riding. I have been riding for 30 plus years and still enjoy it , brings out the boy in me. I ride with a group that are for the most part over 60. I enjoy riding with the kids, fifty and under .Will get close to 6000 miles this year.
Welcome tsurr - nice to have some younger folks in the 65-85+ forum
Old 11-23-13, 09:21 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Those leg cramps during and post ride are something else. They're the worst when trying to sleep after a long ride. For me, whenever they creep up on me I take half dozen Tums (I like the fruity flavors) and chew them. Within a few minutes the cramps are gone. Easy relief.
I'd classify myself as a believer. I put Nuun tables in my Gatorade and have tried Endurolytes, but it's very hard to do a controlled experiment. On my recent ride-your-age ride I happened to throw a role of tums into my fanny pack. At the top of the big climb I started to get those harbinger-of-cramp twinges. I took two heavy duty tums and was able to ride the final 24 miles in relative comfort; it didn't hurt that I didn't have too much climbing to do during the descent, but I think I would have been in trouble w/o the tums.
Old 11-24-13, 10:32 AM
tsurr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks!

Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Welcome tsurr - nice to have some younger folks in the 65-85+ forum
thanks for the note, too cold to ride today , in the 20's, us southern boys just do not like the cold
Old 11-24-13, 01:12 PM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
I'd classify myself as a believer. I put Nuun tables in my Gatorade and have tried Endurolytes, but it's very hard to do a controlled experiment. On my recent ride-your-age ride I happened to throw a role of tums into my fanny pack. At the top of the big climb I started to get those harbinger-of-cramp twinges. I took two heavy duty tums and was able to ride the final 24 miles in relative comfort; it didn't hurt that I didn't have too much climbing to do during the descent, but I think I would have been in trouble w/o the tums.
Thanks, guys: I had tried Gatorade, Nuun, Powerade, Magnesium supplements, etc., without any luck in controlling leg cramps. I get something at Whole Foods called "Electrolyte Stamina" (comes in a distinctive dark blue bottle), and that works pretty well, at a price. In France this summer, after my collapse, I found that keeping well hydrated with plain water helped a lot - rather than using Gatorade or anything else sweet. But French weather is not Texas weather! I'll take a serious run at the Tums - I had thought Potassium was what I lacked, but perhaps it's Magnesium.

No riding in Austin, TX, over the Thanksgiving Holiday - we're down around 36 degrees, windy and raining, and it's going to stay that way or get worse (ice storm?). We will run the Turkey Trot, though.
Old 11-24-13, 03:15 PM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got my "found" bike home from the shop today. When I first brought it in there I told the mechanic about the chain-of-events and history of the bike and how I'd been the original owner and had just found it sitting alongside the road in a nearby neighborhood with a "FREE" sign on it. He took extra care in the re-build and it turned out beautifully. It looks pretty good for a bike that I'd originally bought back in the 1970's. The serial # of it is: Y1N1659. I'm gonna see if I can learn when it was built.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (103.0 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-24-13, 04:47 PM
snapshot46

Bikes: 13 Giant Excape RX-O Mongoose XR-Pro 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, a great story to go along with a great looking bike!
Old 11-25-13, 09:27 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I am truly amazed to have it back in such like-new condition. due to my living here on the MN "Tundra" I have to put it into my storage shed instead of being able to ride it now that the weather is so cold but I am looking forward to getting it out to ride next spring. I've got the cold weather gear to ride but with ice on the trails I don't wanna risk a fall at my age. If I went down hard I'd probably break up like a soda *******. 8-)
Old 11-25-13, 09:22 PM
Penh_Pal
Penh_Pal

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Jamis Dragon, Raleigh MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Table Salt

Originally Posted by JohnBerry
Thanks, guys: I had tried Gatorade, Nuun, Powerade, Magnesium supplements, etc., without any luck in controlling leg cramps. I get something at Whole Foods called "Electrolyte Stamina" (comes in a distinctive dark blue bottle), and that works pretty well, at a price. In France this summer, after my collapse, I found that keeping well hydrated with plain water helped a lot - rather than using Gatorade or anything else sweet. But French weather is not Texas weather! I'll take a serious run at the Tums - I had thought Potassium was what I lacked, but perhaps it's Magnesium.

No riding in Austin, TX, over the Thanksgiving Holiday - we're down around 36 degrees, windy and raining, and it's going to stay that way or get worse (ice storm?). We will run the Turkey Trot, though.
I'm a 67-year old cyclist who also USED TO suffer from leg cramps (and food, and chin, etc). The solution for me was to lap down a palm full of table salt - or take a couple of salt tablets if you can get them. Quick relief. You can also pop a pill or two of potassium gluconate with the table salt to maintain the necessary sodium/potassium balance. I'll be doing a 100K this Saturday and Angkor Wat (Cambodia) and will predictably need a jolt of table salt at about kilometer-90 to avoid laying on the roadside trying - unsuccessfully - to massage away the cramps.
Old 11-25-13, 09:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocky1405
I got my "found" bike home from the shop today. When I first brought it in there I told the mechanic about the chain-of-events and history of the bike and how I'd been the original owner and had just found it sitting alongside the road in a nearby neighborhood with a "FREE" sign on it. He took extra care in the re-build and it turned out beautifully. It looks pretty good for a bike that I'd originally bought back in the 1970's. The serial # of it is: Y1N1659. I'm gonna see if I can learn when it was built.
Nice bike..thanks for pic.

Old 11-25-13, 09:32 PM
Penh_Pal
Penh_Pal

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Jamis Dragon, Raleigh MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toe Clips for Old Guys

I'm a 67-year old cyclist...my son convinced me to try toe clips instead of the old-fashioned 'rat trap' pedals I like. So...how many falls does it take an Old Guy to get used to toe clips? The answer is 4 !! Wah, you really get one of those "Oh, ****." moments when you've forgotten to disengage, and know what's coming next...

But the Zen feeling of 'being one with the bike' is worth it. I now have the clips set on their loosest setting - they are easy to disengage, and I've not had them accidentally disengage at an inopportune moment, e.g. over a bump or up a hill.
Old 11-25-13, 09:49 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Penh_Pal
I'm a 67-year old cyclist...my son convinced me to try toe clips instead of the old-fashioned 'rat trap' pedals I like. So...how many falls does it take an Old Guy to get used to toe clips? The answer is 4 !! Wah, you really get one of those "Oh, ****." moments when you've forgotten to disengage, and know what's coming next...

But the Zen feeling of 'being one with the bike' is worth it. I now have the clips set on their loosest setting - they are easy to disengage, and I've not had them accidentally disengage at an inopportune moment, e.g. over a bump or up a hill.
Started riding when I was 58yo on a mtn bike. When I got my road bike, I started with "clipless" (which I think you are referencing when you say "toe clips") right off, and have loved them ever since. I have fallen twice - during the first month - and never since then - at least as a result of the clipless pedals. I am 74 now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.