Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 04:49 AM
J.P.W.
Petrolhead Cyclist

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday was the first snow since I started commuting by bike. I chickened out and took the car. So it took me 2 hrs instead of 30 minutes and every few minutes someone whizzed by me on a bike.

Big mistake - today I was back on the bike. The snow had turned to slush, my toes turned to icicles and I had a great ride in. The most interesting part was the first half mile from my house where the snow was mainly undisturbed - my road tyres cut through it pretty nicely and I was really impressed with how much grip I had - even under braking.
Old 02-03-09, 05:40 AM
MIKEnDC
Seeing things

Bikes: '73 Bertin, '04 LeMond Poprad, Miyata 1000, and counting...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by J.P.W.
...Big mistake - today I was back on the bike...
There are lots of times when I struggle with the, "I don't feel like it" syndrome. Rarely have I regretted riding anyway.

Just above freezing this AM, with light, sleety snow showers. As I walked my bike down the steps to the street, I was prepared to do an about-face and slap on the studs if I hit ice. I am happy to report that the pavement stayed wet, and the rubber stayed down.
Old 02-03-09, 06:05 AM
J.P.W.
Petrolhead Cyclist

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know it wasn't even that. I just assumed it'd be dangerous and my slick tyres wouldn't grip. But the guys riding past me proved me wrong!
Old 02-03-09, 06:21 AM
Big_e
Strong with the Fred

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dark as usual. Kinda cool about 40 degrees. I stayed up all nite and couldn't sleep for some reason so I was jumpy with every little sound I heard. Today is gonna be interesting.
I stopped at my donut store to get breakfast and got to work in record time. I plan to take advantage of this good weather and ride in everyday I can.
Ernest
Old 02-03-09, 06:48 AM
LouiseTopp
All women are unique

Bikes: Daws Sonaron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't cycle today as the UK has come to it's knees over a snowflake. All transport has been disabled, and all Wiccan's have been advised to use flying broomsticks.
Old 02-03-09, 08:27 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by buzzman
My commute today was glorious- it was above 40〫F for the first time in about 2 months! Only weird thing was for the last part of my ride home I kept thinking I'd ridden through dog crap and then I realized that now that the weather was above freezing 2 months of frozen dog crap was thawing out at once and it was pervasive. yecccch.
This reminds me of a story I read here on BF. Several years ago the weather for the Tour de Flanders (spelling?) was predicted to be very dry, so the farmers along the route went ahead and fertilized their fields. The weather for the race turned out extremely wet, which meant all that manure drained off the fields and into the roads where the cyclists did the rides. Nearly every guy in the race had gastroenteritis as a result. Blech!

Ride today was chilly. I was worried about ice since a rainstorm came through the area overnight, but the roads were just wet.

Finally, got some good news. Another commuter from my company, with whom I used to ride back when I was in another building, just moved to this building too. He and I will be able to ride together again.
Old 02-03-09, 08:52 AM
Foofy
Ha ha HA! Me likey bikey!

Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't so much commute this morning, as I did go to Meijers to pick up a couple things. It was 12 miles round trip. 3 degrees F when I left, and now it's 4 degrees F. Lots of ice all over the place, but I did fine, even with slicks. You just gotta be more careful. It was fun.
Old 02-03-09, 08:53 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nebuchenezzar
Thanks for the encouragement. Yes its 265 lbs, and yes I am hoping to loose some. I'm excited about getting into the "groove" so to speak but need to fight the mental battle to not give up. I'm riding an old Bertoni road bike and although I'm sure its not a perfect fit, its getting me out there which was step one.
well, it's a mental battle for sure but one that is easily won by just sticking to it. I really mean it when I say you'll get to a certain point (probably sooner than you think) when you'll wonder not only why you hadn't always gotten to work this way but why everyone else doesn't do it too.

Hang in there and keep us up to date with your rides!
Old 02-03-09, 08:59 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yesterday, the weatherman said that it'd be about 10*, with slight snow and a few gentle gusts...

I looked out my window this morning, and that's what I saw, but having no TV or internet at my house, didn't realize what I was in for... I got about halfway, and was hit with a 20 mph headwind and a blizzard. It was so bad that I actually got ice "cubes" in teh corners of my eyes and would have to stop and pull them out every once in a while. I forgot my scarf, so my face was freezing, and I think i did about 6 mph the entire way.

However, that 20 mph headwind will be a 20 mph tailwind going home...I just hope the roads stay decent enough to take advantage of it!
Old 02-03-09, 09:28 AM
T-Hussy
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Epic Carbon 92', Old-school fully-rigid specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My legs are already tired and its only tuesday.
Old 02-03-09, 09:55 AM
nebuchenezzar

Bikes: Bertoni Road Bike, Trek 8000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did my first morning commute today! Left the house at 7:30 in the morning, it was 36f. I have fingerless gloves and a breathable jacket that I wore knowing that I would be a bit cold at first but would be more comfortable on the way home wearing the same gear. Im really glad I wore that instead of the windless shell I wore yesterday (and totally overheated in on my way home), although a few minutes into the ride I was thinking it was a mistake, and that I was going to freeze. By about mile 3 I was nice and comfortable, my legs felt great and I was on my way. There was nobody else on the MUP this morning so I felt extra committed I thought that my legs were going to be more tired this morning as this was my first consecutive day ride, but in reality they felt stronger then they ever have.

Thanks Buzzman for the encouragement.
Old 02-03-09, 10:00 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
EXCELLENT! Congrats. The fingerless gloves were good too? I'm surprised.
Old 02-03-09, 10:30 AM
nebuchenezzar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
EXCELLENT! Congrats. The fingerless gloves were good too? I'm surprised.
My fingers were by far the most uncomfortable part of my ride, but by half way through they were good as gold. I figure there always has to be something for your mind to say "this is unbearable", and I figure I would rather have it be the ends of my fingers then my mind telling my my legs are going to give out....
Old 02-03-09, 10:33 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

How many miles?
Old 02-03-09, 10:55 AM
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
However, that 20 mph headwind will be a 20 mph tailwind going home...I just hope the roads stay decent enough to take advantage of it!
Somehow my morning headwinds seem to always reverse direction by the time I'm heading home. funny how that works.
Old 02-03-09, 11:09 AM
nebuchenezzar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

How many miles?
Old 02-03-09, 11:12 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was a real struggle, legs were weak, sore, and stiff, I was moving really slowly. Temps were comfortable at 34F but the headwind was a real pain. The storm that was predicted largely missed DC, we had a little rain and some snowflakes, but nothing accumulated. I guess I have to, once again, find the time to fit in some stretching routines, my legs really need it.
Old 02-03-09, 12:26 PM
thruspa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Something funny happened today. When I was returning home, two cyclists passed me, and the second turned and asked: "Hey man, you are the guy who goes the other way at 7 AM?" I answered, "Yeah". And he, "Whoa, I see you every day. You got a pair". I laughed.

Since I learned to stop worrying and love the commute here, I think I got my pair from all you. I'm rather proud to get a little recognition from the local sports cyclists.
Old 02-03-09, 12:34 PM
rumrunn6

Old 02-03-09, 01:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by LouiseTopp
Didn't cycle today as the UK has come to it's knees over a snowflake. All transport has been disabled, and all Wiccan's have been advised to use flying broomsticks.
Apparently, a foot of snow managed to do what the Luftwaffe couldn't: shut down the British transport system.

As for my commute, it was glorious. 43F and calm. Eerie beautiful mists rising out of the American River.
Old 02-03-09, 01:58 PM
morganw
benter

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur w/ GMAC, Bacchetta Giro 20, Specialized AWOL, Breezer Downtown EX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Night riding is starting to bug me

I'm getting faster despite the heavier tires I put on, so I made it home with an average including stops of 10 MPH and not including stops of 11.7 MPH

but my inability to tell cars apart at night in my mirror is beginning to bug me. I ought to clean my glasses before the trip home, but this corner is (Bollinger to Williams, heading East) has me at the point where I'm thinking of crossing on foot & walking to the corner where Williams branches away from Moorpark. The traffic in & out of the shopping center there is *murder* at night.

I can't even imagine what riding with raindrops on my glasses would be like at night. No mudguards & I'm thinking I'll just drive on the rainy days of which there aren't many in this area.
Old 02-03-09, 02:13 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by caloso
Apparently, a foot of snow managed to do what the Luftwaffe couldn't: shut down the British transport system.
That's not all that the snow shut down. Record London snowstorm defeats the surveillance state. Has a lovely picture of a CCTV camera defeated by snow and ice.

The commute was cold, not too windy. There was a thin layer of slush, but nothing terrible. The 16" Michelin knobbies work very well, particularly considering that they're kid's tires. Little Red is drying out in the bathtub.

My bands:
Old 02-03-09, 02:45 PM
mikemac

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Specialized Vado 5Rivendell Hunqapillar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Commute today!

I've been bike commuting for about 7 months now, lost over 75lbs and all is good in the process. I 'm in the East Bay t[in Nor Cal. (Danville -Pleasant Hill ride) it's about 30 miles round trip. Today was very cool I left alittle later 8:15 I'm Riding up danville Blvd and across the road come a large Red Fox He trotts across the road stops about 10 yards from me, hears me finaly and scampers dow to the creek. It put a smile on my face. Something I would have never seen in the car.
Mike Mac
Old 02-03-09, 07:40 PM
noteon 
Drops small screws

Bikes: Soma Grand Randonneur, modified Xootr Swift, Trek 1000SL with broken brifter from running it into a hotel porte-cochère

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Headwinds + snow in the face + 20" wheels + unplowed greenway = 2 hours to get home.

2 hours on a bike! It's a good day.
RIDE: Short fiction about bicycles • RUSA #5538
Old 02-03-09, 07:48 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Getting hit in the face by razor sharp ice crystals that hurt the faster you went sucks. However, today's snow/sleet/slop was perfect for testing out my new Showerspass Elite 2.0 jacket. It worked. Looking down at iced over and snow covered handlebars while commuting is cool.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.