Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How was the commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How was the commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-04, 10:58 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride in this morning as I had to bring equipment for work that just would not fit on the bike. Makes me wish I had a tailer for such days.

The ride home last night was warm, dry and windy. Temp. around 64F with 24MPH head/cross winds gusting over 30MPH. Was nice to be warm and dry!
Proud member of Colorado's Best Cycling Club - Club Hypoxia
Old 05-27-04, 11:08 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Absolutly beautiful ride in this morning. The clouds were minimal sky blue and temp was cool. Now the impending doom lurks as the clockwork 5PM Thunder Boomer approaches.
Old 05-27-04, 01:45 PM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looked like it may rain...but the clouds were breaking up a bit. I started at 7am and got to work at around 7:45am (start at 8am) mileage to work is 9.5 miles. The ride in places was wet because of last two days of rain. I am a Rain Wimp...slowly working up to riding in the Rain. I have only done a few "sprinkle rides" so far. The temp was cool in the mid 60s. I made most of my lights without having to stop. Traffic wasn't too bad due to the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. I really enjoyed the ride and am glad to find a very busy Bike Forum like this to share thoughts and info. Been commuting to work (mainly a fair weather biker) since 10/03. Donated my Geo Metro that same time period...and haven't looked back! We are a one car family now! ('03 Saturn Ion)

Blessings!
Old 05-27-04, 07:17 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I drove today due to several meetings. We had rain all day with several heavy periods which occurred right during my regular commute times. Right before I left for the day, there was a downpour of Biblical proportions. On the way home I heard there had been a tornado near Tenino, just South of here. Fortunately nobody was injured, just damaged a dairy barn & some trees.
Old 05-27-04, 07:27 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Commute home at 6:30 am was geat. Summer coming on.All I needed was arm warmers...No fog.. Sunny all the way home. Little cool to start..High 50's..Made me feel great. Slept well afterwards...Even motorists were respectful, unlike route in.
Old 05-27-04, 09:37 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Finally starting to cool off a little now, 12 C this morning. Not really cold, but this is Queensland! Apart from that it was all pretty uneventful, apart from the usual Halley's Comet sightings at the red lights around here.

That is all.
Old 05-28-04, 07:33 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Today is a day that was made for commuting. Sunny skies, temps in the 60's F, and a slight breeze. I was late to work and almost took the car, but couldn't pass up a day like today
Old 05-28-04, 07:43 AM
streetdog

Bikes: Gunnar Streetdog, Independent Fabrications Deluxe & Steelman EuroCross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
45F with 20-25 knot NE winds (headwind in the direction). That will chill you. At least it is finally dry and that NE wind will be a tailwind this afternoon.
Old 05-28-04, 09:14 AM
WonkerJaw
Tar is not a toy.

Bikes: Marin Verona - C'dale F5 CAD2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chased by a dog last night… almost flatten by an SUV this morning… I'm not in good enough shape to commute 5 days a week… But I'm at my 3rd day for a total of 55 miles for the week.
76F and partly cloudy this morning... Everyone have a fun and safe holiday.
Cheers
Old 05-28-04, 09:33 AM
mjw16

Bikes: IRO Model 19, Surly Crosscheck, 1989 Arnie Nashbar, Cannondale CAADX, Niner Air 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my second consecutive "all ride week" and I don't feel the usual fatigue-my slightly slower avg speeds must be helping. I rode in at a leisurely 15 mph and took time to enjoy the scenery. We had more rain last night so the path and streets were freshly cleaned. I took time to do a slow lap around the Mall, down to the Capitol, then to work. I wanted to see the preparations for the WWII ceremonies. There were few cars and the temps were cool. It was a neat feeling to be cruising the streets of DC without competing with the usual rush hour traffic.
Old 05-28-04, 09:48 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Streets were damp and clean after a late night shower. It's Friday and a casual day so that's how I rode in. Very casually.
Old 05-28-04, 01:24 PM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a gorgeous ride in this morning. It was about 50F/10C and as I rode past one of the lakes I got that distinctive summer smell. Summer's just around the corner.

I was cleaning up/changing in the bathroom when the überboss came into the bathroom too. I run into him in the showers/locker room at the health club all of the time so it wasn't that weird of an encounter. He just commented that it didn't look like I took the bus in this morning (I was in full riding gear).
Old 05-28-04, 02:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by prabbit
I was cleaning up/changing in the bathroom when the überboss came into the bathroom too. I run into him in the showers/locker room at the health club all of the time so it wasn't that weird of an encounter. He just commented that it didn't look like I took the bus in this morning (I was in full riding gear).
A good opportunity to proselytize!
Old 05-31-04, 05:48 PM
Baz
pedalphile

Bikes: For dirt: Brodie Climbmax. For touring: IF Independance. For Commuting: Reflecto-Fixie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet and fast with a tailwind!
Thanks for asking!
Old 06-01-04, 08:34 AM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Low 40's and bright sun! Supposed to be a dry weather pattern this week! Glad to see it too. I am way behind in my training for my first century due to weather and being sick. I hope to catch up this week.
Old 06-01-04, 09:01 AM
Stubacca

Bikes: '03 Fuji Roubaix Pro; '03 KleinGi Attitude; '06 Soma Rush; '04 Surly Cross-Check; '06 Soma Rush; '07 Scott CR1 / Chorus

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High 40s, sunshine, and very little wind. A nice change from the last two days of cool weather and high winds.

I rode down on the roadie this morning, and was 8 minutes faster for my 12 mile commute than I usually am on either the hybrid or mtb with slicks. I knew it was faster, but didn't realize by that much!
Old 06-01-04, 10:18 AM
jszymczak

Bikes: '03 Lemond Poprad - '03 Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commute is only 14mi round trip, so I try to take it slow. I still averaged 17mph. I think I was concerned with being late today. Also I lost my computer... Went back to look for it... someone grabbed it. bummer! At least it was a cheapo $30 one...
Old 06-01-04, 10:29 AM
Ed Holland
8speed DinoSORAs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a rainy commute today, plus I had to arrive at work earlier than usual, so took the shorter, less exciting route. On arrival to our site, I discover that a huge rubber speed hump has been installed in the driveway in the interests of "safety". Well, this bl**dy thing is a liability for cyclists - our ease of access has certainly not been considered here. Worse, since it is made of rubber it is slippery when wet (to quote Bon Jovi). I have lodged a complaint, as has a motorcyclist colleague. I'm quite prepared to remove the offending article if nothing is done to ease the problems it causes.

Cheers,

Ed
Old 06-01-04, 06:00 PM
Zin
On your what?!?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now this is more like it! Finally a nice day! temp in the mid 60s. Mostly sunny. Light winds to 15MPH or so. Added a 2.25 miles onto the ride home since it was so nice. I now wish I would have done more!

One thing I noticed is that my knees feel much better when the temperature is warmer. I was born with deformed cartilage in both knees and when its cold and damp they ache.

No commutes the rest of this week as I am taking the rest of the week off to crank some miles for my training rides for the Century on June 12. I'll be on my easy week with next week commutes.
Old 06-01-04, 10:33 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
I didn't ride at all over the long weekend. It was dedicated to cleaning my garage & taking all the "good stuff" leftover from my homebuilding project down to Habitat for Humanity but I took today off to recover & managed to combine my need for a haircut with a ride downtown. Just about perfect cycling weather & lots of other riders out.
Old 06-02-04, 07:34 AM
prabbit

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to send my panniers back (third time!) because of different problems. Trek's redesigned panniers are not impressing me even if I like the slick easy on/easy off feature. Anyway, I had to drive today.

As I pulled up to the stop sign at the end of my block a biker blew through the stop sign. At that point I had two thoughts:

1. That was really stupid!
2. Just on the other side of the street there is a dedicated off street bike path. The bike path is in addition to the sidewalk. Maybe you should consider using it so you don't have to not stop at the stop sign.

Grrr.
Old 06-02-04, 08:11 AM
erraticrider

Bikes: Cannondale, trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost too cool for this time of year -- 57F; but beautiful riding when its cool.
Old 06-02-04, 08:18 AM
WonkerJaw
Tar is not a toy.

Bikes: Marin Verona - C'dale F5 CAD2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
79F and a bit muggy… still, it was a great ride. I was on fire! I shaved 15 minutes off my time. I did catch a few green lights. Later Peeps
Old 06-02-04, 09:30 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
It was cool in these parts today, about 54 this morning. I like a nice chill that you warm up too after a few miles.
Old 06-02-04, 09:34 AM
caloso

This morning I was pleasantly surprised to be the 4th bike in line at a stop light: Guy on a older steel Bianchi with panniers, gal on hardtail mtb, older woman on a Bianchi Milano, and me on my REI roadie. Now that's a traffic jam I don't mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.