Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Masters Misc Race Report Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-16, 12:09 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@globecanvas, 6 hours is really pushing the boundaries, I'd say. It's almost Carmichaelesque in its time-crunchedness. Speaking as a much older old rider, I'd doubt my ability to balance volume and intensity on so few hours.

(Disclaimer: I did Carmichael's 6-hour program once in an effort to get fit quick. It burned me out, I had to back off after about 10 weeks and revert to more of an 80:20 polarised regimen.)
Old 03-20-16, 01:47 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Based on these two data points, I think I am undertrained, but not outrageously so. I don't think I can increase intensity any more without increasing hours, but I'm hopeful that squeezing another training hour into the week can get me where I need to be.
GB, 6 hours is right at what I would consider "minimum" for race fitness if you were doing shorter TT's or crits. Doubling up like that, especially if the race is hard is where I'd expect to see some struggles. If you were doing long road races or stage races, that's a really big ask.
Old 03-20-16, 01:59 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Beat The Clock TT- 24:12. 6th in Open Men's
TTT 23:03. 1st.

Rolling ten mile out and back with some sustained climbing. Winner went 23:10. Pretty stout field with a WC RR champ and several Nats podium folks. Guys in front of me were all younger 1/2's. Piled it on this week so legs were a bit stale, and a lack of warm up (my fault) didn't help much. Can't complain too much, it was a decent ride.

Ygduf and I did a 2 man TTT about 20 minutes later, went 23:03 which was fast time on course that day. Riding strong till a mile or so to go then the legs started to go soft. Sat on, took one more pull on the uphill finish. Crawled across the line.

2 months to Nats, things are on track for the most part. Some life stuff is dangling out there, hopefully it continues to swing in the breeze.
Old 03-20-16, 02:18 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Nicely done, @Racer Ex. Now I feel guilty about riding with a hangover such that you had to pull pretty much the whole time.

In retrospect, we should have busted out the TT bikes so that you could show me how to do the TTT thing. Doh. It seems there's never enough time for all the cycling that needs doing.
Old 03-20-16, 05:13 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Nicely done, @Racer Ex. Now I feel guilty about riding with a hangover such that you had to pull pretty much the whole time.

In retrospect, we should have busted out the TT bikes so that you could show me how to do the TTT thing. Doh. It seems there's never enough time for all the cycling that needs doing.
VERY nice, Ex!!! Missed you today...
Old 03-20-16, 05:47 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Tempus Fugit ITT, Cull Canyon Park, Castro Valley, CA. MW 55+ 12 of 13

This was a 10 mile out and back ITT. Uphill out, downhill back. It's a tough course, with the average grade 4% with rollers featuring steeper pitches. The field was large, because this was the second event in the 2016 Masters Women 55+ Series, and there were 13 riders in all. MEA was there, as was the District Champ Cami De Luca, and several other very good time trialers.

I was determined to focus, stay in the efforts, and do a good ride. My previous best on this course was a 36:23. Of course conditions are paramount, and today the conditions were good. The air was a bit heavy, humid, but there was no wind. My time? 37:12. I was 6 seconds behind a team mate, and 17 seconds ahead of a woman I had never beaten before. Another, younger, teammate was 1:13 faster, and the bulk of the field was 2:30 or so faster than me. The really fast, elite riders had me by 6 to 7 minutes, but I'm fine with that.

Because there was no wind, I opted for my 80MM front wheel. I did a 38 minute trainer warmup following protocol, and arrived at the start house 2 minutes prior to my start. I'm getting good at that! I went off just a little too hard, adrenaline, which surprised me a little because I felt quite relaxed before the start. I settled into a rhythm, as much as can be done on this course with the rollers. I had to go to the small ring more often than I planned to, and I know I lost time there. I had a good turn around, but when I accelerated off the turn for the descent my right foot cramped and I had to back down on effort for a moment until it unlocked. I had a good descent, however I felt I was going faster than I actually was. I held power most all the way down. Even so, my time on the descent was better last year, and I lost some seconds there this time around. I stayed in it hard all the way to the line, and except for the turn around, I never, never, went to the horns, even in the sharper turns.

I was pleased with my effort, I was pleased with my attitude, and even though I'm down a little on power, I am very happy that I've gotten my mojo, my head, back! There's nothing like a "race of truth" to tell on ya. As Ex told me after my very first TT a few years ago - "TT's happen". If they're done right, they do!
Old 03-20-16, 06:36 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Heathpack

Actually sitting on the front cranking was part of what I need right now, so it worked out perfect. And there's a sick part of me that enjoys doing that.

Next time, or next time I come down we can work on the TTT stuff. It's really fun if you get it right.

@sarals great job! So much of this (especially TT's) is how you screw your head on before you get to the line. I'm betting the gal you beat is scratching her head

Last edited by Racer Ex; 03-20-16 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 08:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Nice, @sarals!
Old 03-20-16, 10:44 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Thanks, folks! It hurt like hell today, like it should. And I looked forward to it!
Old 03-21-16, 08:02 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 11443 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 2,801 Posts
Thumbs up, @sarals! Good you're getting your groove back.

The very same to you, @Racer Ex! Hangin' with @Ygduf and he with you is certainly a pair to draw to.
Old 03-21-16, 08:05 AM
LAJ
So it is

Nice, @globecanvas. That on 6 hours a week is pretty amazing.
Old 03-21-16, 08:25 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex

2 months to Nats,
And it's only 5 1/2 hours from me. Now if I was only in shape

Well done @sarals
Old 03-22-16, 04:45 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice racing, Ex, sarals!
Old 03-28-16, 10:34 AM
LAJ
So it is

Lookout TT. It was postponed from a week ago. and it also snowed Saturday, so it was never a sure thing. Got there and it was cool and wet, and parking in a snow bank seemed to be the only option. Rolled around for a bit, did some efforts to warm up, and lined up. Forgot to start the Garmin, went out too hard, everything I was not supposed to do. 7th out of 14. 21 were registered, if I remember, so the fields were thinned. 55 seconds off the top step, and over a minute ahead of the fellow in 8th, so I take some solace in that. I'm sort of hangin' with the group I should, I just need to make myself race properly.
Old 03-28-16, 10:53 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by LAJ
Lookout TT...I just need to make myself race properly.
As always: getting to the core of things, very succinctly. Because that's basically what it boils down to: racing properly. I'm always amazed at how difficult it is to execute something so seemingly simple as a TT. All kinds of things happen that mess with your groove and get in your head- delays, parking issues, warm-up logistics, Garmin snafus. Just a big fat learning curve aside from all the training/work etc to prepare.

Nicely done- navigating all that stuff and still laying down a good effort. Up a mountain, no less!
Old 03-28-16, 01:44 PM
LAJ
So it is

Thank you. @Heathpack.

There is no reason to make this bike racing thing more difficult than it need be, but some days...... Too old to make these rookie mistakes!
Old 03-28-16, 02:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 2,496 Times in 1,465 Posts
IMO, racing is 99% execution and 1% preparation with 99% of the preparation being determined by genetics and 1% by actual training plan. There is no way that I can be a 400 watt FTP guy even if I could roll back the clock. It is just not possible. I could train and periodize until the cows come home and it is not going to happen for me but I can train to my genetic potential.

However, I can practice racing simulation and skills a lot and achieve excellence at execution, granted, execution is somewhat genetically predetermined as well.

However, putting it all together to get the most out of ones genetics, IMO, has a monster execution component to it. I like dressing up and riding the correct bike with race equipment and simulate racing during training. The more automatic racing becomes the better one will get at racing versus training. This is a little easier to do at the track because of the venue and the ability to ride race wheels and equipment for practice efforts versus riding to and from a venue for a TT workout.

I think it is important to dress up in practice including TT helmet and skin suit. Everything has a different feel and IMO, affects ones mental state - the bike handles differently. A TT helmet just feels different and sounds different. The goal is to make the race set up feel normal such that there is no adrenaline rush or miscue that causes one to overcook the start. IMO, that is not a rookie mistake but one that is made over and over time after time to racers chagrin with years of experience.

The only fix is practice during training imagining one is racing in a race dress rehearsal until it becomes so ingrained that execution is automatic.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-28-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 03:31 PM
LAJ
So it is

Awesome @Hermes. Thank you.
Old 03-28-16, 04:20 PM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Lookout TT. It was postponed from a week ago. and it also snowed Saturday, so it was never a sure thing. Got there and it was cool and wet, and parking in a snow bank seemed to be the only option. Rolled around for a bit, did some efforts to warm up, and lined up. Forgot to start the Garmin, went out too hard, everything I was not supposed to do. 7th out of 14. 21 were registered, if I remember, so the fields were thinned. 55 seconds off the top step, and over a minute ahead of the fellow in 8th, so I take some solace in that. I'm sort of hangin' with the group I should, I just need to make myself race properly.
LAJ your result was awesome! Your category was fast...compare it with 40/4's and you would have done very well...also, you're no dinky climber-type! Well done!
Old 03-28-16, 04:36 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by rapwithtom
LAJ your result was awesome! Your category was fast...compare it with 40/4's and you would have done very well...also, you're no dinky climber-type! Well done!
LAJ, what everyone else said. Heathie and I were discussing TT's recently, and she pointed out that they're really a Zen-like experience. I'd add "if they're done properly". You were harried, to say the least, and distractions can kill what could be a good race. Still, it's evident you're strong, and not just pack fodder. You did a great job under the circumstances. Absolutely well don!
Old 03-28-16, 05:10 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Good ride LAJ.

FWIW I think it all matters. Training, execution, preparation. Not going to do well missing any of those. Genetics are nice to have but I feared the guys that worked hard vs. the guys who were talented but didn't. The guys who had both covered you get a good seat to watch.

Going out too hard in a TT is VERY rare...

(wiping tears away)

I spent my first couple of years ready to quit the sport five minutes in.

My standard advice on anything but a prologue (if you don't have a PM or have trouble keeping your foot off the gas) is to go out and back off a gear from where you think you can ride for the first couple of minutes. Or two. Settle in for a couple of minutes then start clicking the shifter.

Doesn't hurt to visualize that first few minutes either.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 03-28-16 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-28-16, 05:50 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Nice work LAJ. I think going out a little too hard is actually a good strategy on that course, since it's steepest at the bottom.
Old 03-28-16, 08:18 PM
LAJ
So it is

Thank you @rapwithtom. Svelt would be nice, but that's not me, so I'll take your kind words and run with them.

@sarals, I appreciate that! Such a mind game, sometimes exacerbated by our own mind.

@Racer Ex, thank you for the wise words. When you write, I listen. As always, the GIF is spot on.

@valygrl, thank you. I had the beginning and end covered. Once I start cranking in the middle, watch out.

Thanks again, all. Sleep should come easier tonight.
Old 03-30-16, 03:18 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Nice Racer Ex, LAJ, and sarals.

LAJ, cold and wet TT. I would have loved to have been there.

Trying to figure out how to get into reasonable TT condition on less than 6 hours per week (still traveling to Seattle every-other-week) as I plan to race Districts ITT and TTT (if we can find a 4th) in May.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 03-31-16, 12:11 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Originally Posted by Cleave
Nice Racer Ex, LAJ, and sarals.

LAJ, cold and wet TT. I would have loved to have been there.

Trying to figure out how to get into reasonable TT condition on less than 6 hours per week (still traveling to Seattle every-other-week) as I plan to race Districts ITT and TTT (if we can find a 4th) in May.
Simple. Twelve 20 minute intervals. Who needs a warm up or cool down?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.