Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction L8

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction L8

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-16, 02:11 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Damnit, @BillyD beat me to it.

Top three threads on the 41 at this moment:

1. A bikesdirect thread
2. Taint pain thread
3. Addiction

Order has been restored.
Old 05-06-16, 02:11 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
You've learned nothing from that potbelly thread. Once you filter out all the noise, it's clear the problem is diet, not the amount of exercise you do or don't do. The problem is EATING, you have to change your eating habits. Not saying to stop exercising, but the the greatest changes are going to be made by changing diet.

If people don't learn to eat selectively, and to push away from the table, they're just kidding themselves. @datlas is not 6'2 & 140 because he rides his bike, he's that way because he's disciplined about what he eats.
I actually don't agree with this. The Biggest Loser contestants who participated in the study discussed in the NYT seem to suffer a fate common to many people who successfully lose weight- they have a decrease in the resting metabolic rate which eventually makes it nearly impossible to lose weight by calorie restriction alone. Not just people who lose weight too rapidly, not just people who lose tremendous amounts of weight, but a significant number of people.

In animal husbandry, you'd refer to animals with this body type as "easy keepers," meaning that they are very easy to maintain on not that much feed. It would make complete sense that humans would have evolved to slow their metabolism in times of famine (the historical reason that weight loss would have occurred). Not everyone is like this but possibly the majority of people are.

So for awhile these people can lose weight purely by restricting calories. But eventually that catches up with them, their metabolism slows and they double down and try to eat even less. They think they can beat it with willpower. But doubling down slows their metabolism further, they are hungry all the time and eventually they regain the weight.

The key to long-term success for people with this physiology IMO is exercise. But not the BS "30 minutes of walking per day" version of exercise. Real, hard work exercise that is more analagous to a full day's worth of farm work. By the time the easy keepers have lost enough weight to get to the point of significant slowing of resting metabolic rate, they need to be fit enough for real exercise. They need to build muscle and ideally take advantage of the afterburn effect of increased oxygen utilization that occurs for a day or so after very intense exercise. And they need to eat, because excessive hunger will doom them to failure. One way or the other, I think if easy-keeper types don't start creating a calorie deficit with exercise eventually, they'll regain the weight. The eye-opener for me is how much it takes to create a calorie deficit with exercise- its either going to require huge volumes or big intensity- way more than most people have any idea of, because no one will tell them this. Really helps if you can develop the ability to exercise fasted.

I do think there are some non-exercise strategies that might be equally successful- for example, a vegan or vegetarian diet. Mostly because you can eat such big volumes of food if you do healthy vegetarian (as opposed to Taco Bell vegetarian) and this will help manage hunger.

I haven't been back to the pot belly thread in awhile, I can dive in and see what kind of proof has been presented there that exercise doesn't work. But most of the studies that I'm familiar with claiming exercise is not of benefit are looking at way less volume or intensity of exercise than I'm talking about. The trouble is that most people have no interest in exercise to that extent. So the way better thing would be to change infrastructure to simulate this- more walking, more lifting, more stairs, more mobility in general, more chores. Even keeping building colder might help a little, make people burn some calories just to stay warm. Those ideas are going to go over like a lead balloon though. Sigh.
Old 05-06-16, 02:12 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
And we can't forget: "Yeah, I'd like a Big Mac, large french fries, an apple pie, and a DIET coke." That'll work.
Old 05-06-16, 02:13 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Damnit, @BillyD beat me to it.

Top three threads on the 41 at this moment:

1. A bikesdirect thread
2. Taint pain thread
3. Addiction

Order has been restored.
I'm just liking the 'Latex" thread juxtaposed with the "anus & scrotum" thread.
Old 05-06-16, 02:17 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
I actually don't agree with this. The Biggest Loser contestants who participated in the study discussed in the NYT seem to suffer a fate common to many people who successfully lose weight- they have a decrease in the resting metabolic rate which eventually makes it nearly impossible to lose weight by calorie restriction alone. Not just people who lose weight too rapidly, not just people who lose tremendous amounts of weight, but a significant number of people.

In animal husbandry, you'd refer to animals with this body type as "easy keepers," meaning that they are very easy to maintain on not that much feed. It would make complete sense that humans would have evolved to slow their metabolism in times of famine (the historical reason that weight loss would have occurred). Not everyone is like this but possibly the majority of people are.

So for awhile these people can lose weight purely by restricting calories. But eventually that catches up with them, their metabolism slows and they double down and try to eat even less. They think they can beat it with willpower. But doubling down slows their metabolism further, they are hungry all the time and eventually they regain the weight.

The key to long-term success for people with this physiology IMO is exercise. But not the BS "30 minutes of walking per day" version of exercise. Real, hard work exercise that is more analagous to a full day's worth of farm work. By the time the easy keepers have lost enough weight to get to the point of significant slowing of resting metabolic rate, they need to be fit enough for real exercise. They need to build muscle and ideally take advantage of the afterburn effect of increased oxygen utilization that occurs for a day or so after very intense exercise. And they need to eat, because excessive hunger will doom them to failure. One way or the other, I think if easy-keeper types don't start creating a calorie deficit with exercise eventually, they'll regain the weight. The eye-opener for me is how much it takes to create a calorie deficit with exercise- its either going to require huge volumes or big intensity- way more than most people have any idea of, because no one will tell them this. Really helps if you can develop the ability to exercise fasted.

I do think there are some non-exercise strategies that might be equally successful- for example, a vegan or vegetarian diet. Mostly because you can eat such big volumes of food if you do healthy vegetarian (as opposed to Taco Bell vegetarian) and this will help manage hunger.

I haven't been back to the pot belly thread in awhile, I can dive in and see what kind of proof has been presented there that exercise doesn't work. But most of the studies that I'm familiar with claiming exercise is not of benefit are looking at way less volume or intensity of exercise than I'm talking about. The trouble is that most people have no interest in exercise to that extent. So the way better thing would be to change infrastructure to simulate this- more walking, more lifting, more stairs, more mobility in general, more chores. Even keeping building colder might help a little, make people burn some calories just to stay warm. Those ideas are going to go over like a lead balloon though. Sigh.
In regards to the metabolic slowdown for survival, that's probably why it's not a good idea to lose a pound a day like the winner of the show was doing. Probably why they go ahead and recommend that no more than 2 pounds a week thing. Even that sucks. I'm happier on the one pound a week plan, which is what I think you mentioned you usually shoot for.

But yeah, it does work but my diet still sucks. Tonight I actually am going to eat baked chicken and veggies.
Old 05-06-16, 02:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
I looked at that video posted in "ouch" post. Maybe I am too sensitive or old-fashioned, but that's likely a fatal injury to the cyclist and really the equivalent of a snuff film. Reported and I hope it gets deleted or sent to trollheim.
Old 05-06-16, 02:36 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
In regards to the metabolic slowdown for survival, that's probably why it's not a good idea to lose a pound a day like the winner of the show was doing. Probably why they go ahead and recommend that no more than 2 pounds a week thing. Even that sucks. I'm happier on the one pound a week plan, which is what I think you mentioned you usually shoot for.

But yeah, it does work but my diet still sucks. Tonight I actually am going to eat baked chicken and veggies.
It has actually been shown that its not the rate of weight loss that is the cause of the metabolic slow-down. It happens in a lot of people, possibly the majority, with weight loss in general. In fact, although most people who lose weight in modern-day America regain all or most of it, there's a little better success rate amongst the people who lose quickly.

Personally, I think going into it making sustainable changes right from the beginning is the smartest move. But it does not appear that this approach will save you from the decline in resting metabolic weight if you are of the easy keeper type.
Old 05-06-16, 03:06 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Oh I agree with this. The body is going to make adjustments and change the whole picture. You have to do both, change diet and increase activity level for long term wwight loss.

My post is simply, in as few words as possible, trying to convince the many, many people on this forum that they're deluding themselves if they think exercise is the whole picture, or even the primary picture. Sure it would be great if just doing something you love, riding a bike, was the magic formula for weight loss. Yeah, santa claus is a great concept too. It just ain't so.

So many people on this forum have admitted, at one time or another, that they bike to eat, instead of eating to bike. They bike to try and counter their desire to eat without constraints, and that's just not going to work for most of them. You can't take the easy road, just riding your bike. You have to make some significant adjustments at the dinner table, i.e., the hard part. It's only hard in the beginning, then once good habits get established it's pretty darn easy.

And it's not about NOT eating, it's all about eating the right things INSTEAD of the wrong things.
Old 05-06-16, 03:26 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Truth. I forgot to mention it because I generally associate activity with eating stuff that doesn't counter all that activity. Most people I know who are active and over 25 tend to eat decent for the majority of their meals. For me, it's making the physical effort so it's easier psychologically to not wreck myself when off the bike.

And I was going to mention it, but didn't get to it, that while calorie counting works for me it's mainly because I don't want to eat boiled chicken and raw veggies. I have changed my eating habits, but that's mostly in avoiding empty calories. I am fully aware that if I just worked more fruits and veggies and leans protein in there I would get all I need, feel full, and still have a calorie deficit, but I don't wanna.

EDIT: Also, you could not pay me to read through the pot belly thread.
That and the idea that Gluten makes you fat.
Boiled chicken sucks. Chicken sucks. I eat eggs, beef, and bison. And fruit and veggies and nuts. Costco rotisserie chickens happen once a month or so.

And no, gluten doesn't make you fat. Things that contain gluten (which are starches), certainly will, but so will rice. My mother is vegetarian and gluten-free and insists her way of going about it is healthy, even though she's quite overweight and has been for a long time (because she eats great big piles of rice and soy and rice-bread). Does not respond well to suggestions to try another way, either.
Old 05-06-16, 06:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Boiled chicken sucks.
*unless dumplings are involved!

Also excellent in a number of southeast Asian soups!
Old 05-06-16, 06:33 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
Went to doc today, strep confirmed. I've had it many times before, but I don't remember it being this painful.

They put me on an antibiotic they say only has a 3% chance of causing an allergic reaction (I got a skin test as a kid saying I'm allergic to penicillin). I guess that's pretty good.

Back in my science days and I was writing a proposal to put cameras on the ISS, I toyed with writing in a ride for my self to install it... then I looked at the 2% shuttle failure rate and said "**** that'. There was almost certainly no way that was ever going to happen, but I like to think *I* was the one that did the rejecting there.
Old 05-06-16, 07:16 PM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jtaylor996
Went to doc today, strep confirmed. I've had it many times before, but I don't remember it being this painful.

They put me on an antibiotic they say only has a 3% chance of causing an allergic reaction (I got a skin test as a kid saying I'm allergic to penicillin). I guess that's pretty good.

Back in my science days and I was writing a proposal to put cameras on the ISS, I toyed with writing in a ride for my self to install it... then I looked at the 2% shuttle failure rate and said "**** that'. There was almost certainly no way that was ever going to happen, but I like to think *I* was the one that did the rejecting there.
Sorry to hear that. Get well fast.

When I was in the Navy, there was a period where I considered applying for the astronaut program.
Old 05-06-16, 07:19 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,531 Times in 2,507 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I've said that for ages. For some, it means counting calories, for others, it just means eating different stuff. For me, it meant not having a pack of Hostess Snowballs for breakfast every morning.... That was a start, anyway.
kudos
Old 05-06-16, 07:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Doug28450
I'm too fat for any sport. Although, I do float quite nicely.
Could come in handy, in the event of a water landing.
Old 05-06-16, 07:31 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Hi, what's this thread about?
Fatties
Old 05-06-16, 07:33 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LAJ
JEB

Just Eat Broccoli
You forgot the exclamation point.
Old 05-06-16, 07:35 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
You forgot the exclamation point.
and the cheese sauce!!!
Old 05-06-16, 07:42 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Boiled chicken sucks. Chicken sucks. I eat eggs, beef, and bison. And fruit and veggies and nuts. Costco rotisserie chickens happen once a month or so.

And no, gluten doesn't make you fat. Things that contain gluten (which are starches), certainly will, but so will rice. My mother is vegetarian and gluten-free and insists her way of going about it is healthy, even though she's quite overweight and has been for a long time (because she eats great big piles of rice and soy and rice-bread). Does not respond well to suggestions to try another way, either.
I had chicken for dinner.
Old 05-06-16, 07:43 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
and the cheese sauce!!!
Everything is better with cheese!
Old 05-06-16, 07:44 PM
Doug28450

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I had chicken for dinner.
Boiled?
Old 05-06-16, 07:45 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Boiled?
Fried.
Old 05-06-16, 07:45 PM
Doug28450

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Everything is better with cheese!
Even better with ham and cheese.
Old 05-06-16, 07:50 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Even better with ham and cheese.
Ham and cheese and cheese?
Old 05-06-16, 07:52 PM
Doug28450

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ham and cheese and cheese?
That sounds good.
Old 05-06-16, 07:57 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Fried.
Is there any other kind?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.