Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 07:13 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Very nice pics @DQRider, always look forwatd to your ride posts.

Bill
Thanks, Bill. It's nice to be appreciated, though I think I've reached a saturation point on this particular thread. The trouble is, I don't have time to travel very far to seek out new scenery and new subjects. Work takes up too much of my time, and vacation is just a dream at this point.

So I end up shooting the same places from different angles, at different times of the day, with different bikes. Even that can get old after awhile.

At least I'm not in Houston...

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-01-17, 09:07 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Thanks, Bill. It's nice to be appreciated, though I think I've reached a saturation point on this particular thread. The trouble is, I don't have time to travel very far to seek out new scenery and new subjects. Work takes up too much of my time, and vacation is just a dream at this point.

So I end up shooting the same places from different angles, at different times of the day, with different bikes. Even that can get old after awhile.

At least I'm not in Houston...
Nah, the different spots and angles may be familiar to you, but not to most of us. Always neat to catch your builds as well. Great stuff, keep up with the pics!
---
Earlier this week:

Wound up with some BBQ.

Old 09-02-17, 02:10 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
@DQRider, I doubt anyone is tired of your posts, especially those pictures you are providing. Sir Name said it quite well in his post above, and he is another with good visuals. We all have things keeping us from all of the riding time we would prefer to be getting, That pesky work just keeps getting in the way for everyone. Or, we could be dealing with worse things, like East Texas and Louisiana are for the forseeable future.

I am looking at an early retirement in a few weeks- maybe a couple of months since the construction company we are part owners in has decided to close up that side and change directions. Looking for some volunteer work at either the local USO or maybe one of the hospitals. At least we are prepared for this, not too many places for a 60 yo engineer with PD to work it seems. No problem with it, I could be in Houston

Bill
Old 09-02-17, 05:20 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,049 Times in 406 Posts
[QUOTE=HamboneSlim;19833728]
Around town on the PR10.

Nicely done. It looks like home. errr, gee it is home. Lovely countryside. I need to come darken your door sometime this autum.
Old 09-02-17, 10:34 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by Sir_Name
Nah, the different spots and angles may be familiar to you, but not to most of us. Always neat to catch your builds as well. Great stuff, keep up with the pics!
---
Earlier this week:

Wound up with some BBQ.
This shot is absolutely stunning!

And this International of yours has become the template for my ideal touring bike. The 650b conversion takes an already sublime bicycle to the next level.

qcpmsame wrote:

@DQRider, I doubt anyone is tired of your posts, especially those pictures you are providing. Sir Name said it quite well in his post above, and he is another with good visuals. We all have things keeping us from all of the riding time we would prefer to be getting, That pesky work just keeps getting in the way for everyone. Or, we could be dealing with worse things, like East Texas and Louisiana are for the forseeable future.

I get it, guys, and thanks. Shame on me for not appreciating all the little things we usually take for granted. Houston really puts things in perspective; this striving for a certain level of perfection in our lives makes us fail to appreciate the Good Enough until it is all ripped away from us by some catastrophic event.

Today I resolve to just ride my bike and be Happy.

Old 09-02-17, 12:48 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I get it, guys, and thanks.
Indeed!

To DQR, S_N, q-3pio (Bill, that's you), DD, and all the rest of you, GREAT STUFF!

This thread is all about sharing your rides with the rest of us. After all, bikes are about riding.

You can share the experience different ways. You can share it visually by posting pics, you can share it literarily by writing prose or poetry, or you can take the techie route and list miles and speeds and time (as is done in another BF forum so often). The techie approach doesn't interest me much, though I confess I've been known to brag about ride distance occasionally. Pics are something any of us can relate to and appreciate. Each pic is worth a thousand words, so I've heard. So keep 'em coming!

Now back to your regularly-scheduled threading...
Old 09-02-17, 02:32 PM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 115 Posts
Great pics as usual! I'm back on the bike after my first stint with back problems...getting old sucks.

Scream like no one is listening

Jersey Shore road kill (Osprey catch)
Old 09-02-17, 02:51 PM
jotog
Ride simple.

Bikes: vitus 979, g fisher, specialized, trek, bridgestone rb1, Trek SS, Hiawatha SS, 54' Schwinn SS, Trek SS CX conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ That's not really what I was expecting. At all!
Old 09-02-17, 04:26 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Great post @Vonruden

My first time riding up to Stevens Pass yesterday.

The old Pass Road is virtually car free. A real sweet alternative to busy Hwy2…
It's hot and shade is appreciated by NBend, on Flickr

It was as hot and muggy as this photo suggests
Warm and muggy photo of Bob by NBend, on Flickr

We follow the creek by NBend, on Flickr

I found some Tonka toys to play on while waiting for everyone to regroup
We amuse ourselves by NBend, on Flickr

The old road dumps you out just below the ski area
Bruce and Mark arrive by NBend, on Flickr

Here’s a link to the rest of the photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2dKVYh
Old 09-02-17, 07:00 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,789 Times in 639 Posts
Made it to the top of the hill.

I basically made it to the top Platte river drive SS no walking a 600ft or so gravel climb over about 2 miles 12,000+at the top.

Old 09-03-17, 04:22 AM
Vonruden

Bikes: Looking for a Baylis or Wizard in 59-62cm range

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 115 Posts
@northbend and @zukahn1 I'm always amazed at the elevation and climbs in your rides...I have trouble on some of the hills of Jersey.
Old 09-03-17, 08:26 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
I rode my Fuji Royale 3-speed roadster conversion down along the Mississippi tonight,
I too look forward to your postings, as you seem to always come up with some interesting well composed shots.
I don't remember reading about your Fuji build, but did you lace a hub for the rear wheel, and what hub is it?
Do you have a build thread on it?
Thanks in advance for info on what I consider a gorgeous well set up bike.
To all the other posters, your shots are very good too, please keep them coming.
Old 09-03-17, 11:10 AM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Just a nice, simple, 25 mile ride out west of the Richmond, VA area, out to West Creek Pkwy business development (Capital One, VA Farm Bureau, etc...), turned around and rode back home the same way, along River Rd.

Here's a shot from River Rd by St. Catherine's School

Here's a shot from the twin ponds in West Creek Pkwy business complex, looking at the huge VA Farm Bureau building in the background.
Old 09-03-17, 11:30 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Last weeks adventure. Drove over to Missouri to Confluence Point State Park, where the Missouri and Mississippi rivers meet.

Took a little detour.

[IMG]IMG_1027 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some one thought we were off route.

[IMG]IMG_1028 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

We made it after a bit. I'm not much on GPS as you can tell.

[IMG]IMG_1029 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1031 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_1034 by lebagman, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old 09-03-17, 11:37 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
I too look forward to your postings, as you seem to always come up with some interesting well composed shots.
I don't remember reading about your Fuji build, but did you lace a hub for the rear wheel, and what hub is it?
Do you have a build thread on it?
Thanks in advance for info on what I consider a gorgeous well set up bike.
To all the other posters, your shots are very good too, please keep them coming.
Thank you, @Ballenxj - it's nice to be appreciated. I really like the way the bar has been raised on this thread - we now see some of the best ride report images on the whole BF right here, IMHO.

So you want me to tell you about the bike I call "Toshi-Baiku" (Japanese for city bike)? Well, if you're gonna twist my arm...

I bought my 1981 Fuji Royale off our local CL for $150 about a year and a half ago. Here's one of the ad photos:

The original plan was to build it into one of my lightweight "path racers", like the turquoise Peugeot Versailles I've shown here before. But then I visited a local charity operation called "Mr. Michael Re-Cycles Bicycles" and found the 1978 Sturmey Archer AW hub laced into a 700c x 15mm Mavic rim for $15, and the moment I held that wheel in my hands, this bike literally assembled itself in my mind:

Toshi-san in her first configuration.

Now understand I was obsessed with old British 3-speeds at the time, having fallen-in with an eclectic group who call themselves the "Gentleman Cyclists". They are the folks who put on the Lake Pepin 3-Speed Tour every year. And I had begun to daydream about what the ultimate 3-speed roadster would look like if each country built one. You may have seen my English/Irish/Mexican hybrid (The Raysport Light Roadster) on here a few times. So this is my Japanese version.

Once I changed the `bar and grips to give a sportier riding position, this bike really came alive. It actually wore a large bamboo basket on the handlebar for a little while. But once I found canvas bags to hang fore and aft, this bike was finally complete.

The saddlebag is from "Zimbale"; their 3-liter barrel bag. FWIW I do not recommend it. The chintzy little velcro closures don't work if you put any kind of load in the bag. I had to augment that with a larger velcro panel before this thing would stay closed.

That handlebar bag, however, I would highly recommend. It's from a company called "Tourbon Safari Store", Chinese no-doubt but with a French-sounding name. Very nice quality and perfect for the application.

Long post, sorry But you asked for it...

Old 09-03-17, 12:00 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Hey @DQRider

That is a beautiful Fuji! Amazing find on CL, like how I stumbled upon my '85 Fuji Del Rey (also from CL)!
Old 09-03-17, 12:54 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,826 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
My first time riding up to Stevens Pass yesterday.

The old Pass Road is virtually car free. A real sweet alternative to busy Hwy2…

Here’s a link to the rest of the photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2dKVYh
Niiiiice! I have to add that to my bucket list; I've driven both "halves" as recently as mid-August when mom was in town but have yet to ride it. I bet the iffy surface kept you guys on your toes on the return leg

DD
Old 09-03-17, 03:22 PM
cashewman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bay Area Golden Gate quick speed loop. Through the beautiful park to the water and back. Love that one.
Old 09-03-17, 03:48 PM
Ballenxj

<---- snip ---->
I bought my 1981 Fuji Royale off our local CL for $150 about a year and a half ago. Here's one of the ad photos:
<---- snip ---->
The original plan was to build it into one of my lightweight "path racers", like the turquoise Peugeot Versailles I've shown here before. But then I visited a local charity operation called "Mr. Michael Re-Cycles Bicycles" and found the 1978 Sturmey Archer AW hub laced into a 700c x 15mm Mavic rim for $15, and the moment I held that wheel in my hands, this bike literally assembled itself in my mind:
<--- snip --->
Long post, sorry But you asked for it...
Thank You, and yes, I did ask for it. The bag review was icing on the cake.
I and a friend went to one of the larger Bike Shops in Boise to look at the Linus brand bicycles that had an eight speed internal hub, and fell in love with that idea. I would love to find one of those with a 700c schrader valved wheel complete with the twist grip shifter mechanism, to build a bike with, but it seems the price on those isn't coming down to soon.
Old 09-03-17, 04:14 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Massive rainstorm yesterday left us with sunny skies, crisp, cool air. Rolled out after a bit of wrenching for the daily romp around town. Hit part of the greenway as usual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1688.jpg (98.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-03-17, 04:57 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Thank You, and yes, I did ask for it. The bag review was icing on the cake.
I and a friend went to one of the larger Bike Shops in Boise to look at the Linus brand bicycles that had an eight speed internal hub, and fell in love with that idea. I would love to find one of those with a 700c schrader valved wheel complete with the twist grip shifter mechanism, to build a bike with, but it seems the price on those isn't coming down to soon.
That is a nice idea. As a matter of fact, I built one of those too:

This bike has appeared in this thread before, a few pages back, but this was one of the photos that didn't make the cut. I'm posting it now because it gives a decent view of the 8-speed Nexus wheel. I found it needed the Surly Hurdy Gurdy chain tensioner because proper adjustment is critical with these hubs.

Is there any reason you prefer the Schrader-drilled wheel over Presta? A quick Google search yielded this: https://www.amazon.com/Alloy-Hybrid-.../dp/B01LWS5W3T

Yikes, we're wandering pretty far afield here. Better start working on today's ride report...

Old 09-03-17, 05:56 PM
Ballenxj

That is a nice idea. As a matter of fact, I built one of those too:
<---- snip ---->
Is there any reason you prefer the Schrader-drilled wheel over Presta? A quick Google search yielded this: https://www.amazon.com/Alloy-Hybrid-.../dp/B01LWS5W3T
Just prefer Schrader as there is no need for special pumps or adapters, can be filled at any gas station, etc.
Thanks for the link, and my apologies to all for the thread drift.
Old 09-04-17, 01:08 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Out for a Labor Day ride with Mrs. GMG.

Went to Waconia on the Luce Line and stopped by Lake Calhoun for lunch at the Tin Fish.

Really great walleye sandwiches.

Untitled by gomango1849, on Flickr

Untitled by gomango1849, on FlickrUntitled by gomango1849, on Flickr

Untitled by gomango1849, on Flickr

Untitled by gomango1849, on FlickrUntitled by gomango1849, on Flickr

and yesterday I was out in the kayak fishing for Muskies with a fly rod. Caught two of those toothy critters.

My Jackson Kraken. Great fly fishing platform. by gomango1849, on Flickr

Last edited by gomango; 09-04-17 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 01:22 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
How's that kayak cart coming along?
Old 09-04-17, 01:24 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Lots of good rides around the Twin Cities today.

Your rides are still looking good GMG (even the kayak). Fly fishing for muskies must be sort of like tossing cat toys with hooks in them though.

My ride took me south to Red Wing with a bunch of younger riders on their carbon bikes. Still managed to lead the way up a few of the Wisconsin 35 hills. Here's the view from Veteran's park looking north up the Mississippi valley over town. Nuke plant steaming off in the distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3698.jpg (97.4 KB, 215 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.