Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Don't Ride in the Middle to Left Side of the Lane

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Don't Ride in the Middle to Left Side of the Lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-12, 04:08 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
That's very selfish of you. Pissed off motorists take their anger out on cyclists on a regular basis and often with deadly consequences. There are a lot more motorists than cyclists and that equates to money and political pull. Don't think for a second that laws can be drafted to severely restrict our use of the roads. When I am a motorist I make an effort to blend harmoniously with other traffic. That doesn't change when I hop on my bike. You militants aren't doing us much good on the advocacy front.
Well, Lets' put it in the context of just ticking off a motorist for a moment. If I am 'taking lane', I am at a red light with traffic behind me, and I do not notice the light turn green, then get honked at. I don't care about having ticked them off, not in the sense of 'taking the lane', but in the sense of not having paid attention to the traffic signal. So I will give them a 'thumbs up' admitting to my momentary mistake.

Now to blending harmoniously with the traffic. That is also one of my objectives.
Old 06-21-12, 04:11 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hagen2456
I feel that you're overlooking one rather important thing here:

Good drivers will take the curve you refer to very alertly. They may not expect cyclists, but they'll know that just about anything may hide behind the curve: a deer, a drunk, a broken down car. Goes for good drivers both from behind and ahead. So, it's not the good drivers that are the problem. It's the bad drivers. They'll take that curve at high speed, not for one moment thinking that anything will get in the way of their car. Those from ahead might even overtake another car!

Now, do you really for one moment think that taking the lane in that curve will protect you from bad drivers? I don't. I'd hug that roadside like a maniac.
Will it "protect" me from bad drivers, no. But on a curve like the one in the picture, I will certainly be noticed sooner.
Old 06-21-12, 04:14 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Which is how that girl got killed a little more than a week ago north of Copenhagen.
Huh? By riding up a hill in TX?
Old 06-21-12, 04:17 PM
hagen2456

Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Will it "protect" me from bad drivers, no. But on a curve like the one in the picture, I will certainly be noticed sooner.
But bad drivers don't notice obstacles untill it's too late. Or never.
Old 06-21-12, 04:20 PM
hagen2456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Huh? By riding up a hill in TX?
Do you really, REALLY think that's what I meant?

She was killed taking the lane uphill. By a driver who overtook another car coming over the hill from the other side. Had she hugged the roadside, she would have lived.

Drivers do that often enough to have me fear it on country roads. You know, I've actually twice been in the back seat of cars doing it. Very unpleasant.
Old 06-21-12, 04:24 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by RobertHurst
I suggest all the time that people should take a tape measure out and check lanes, paths, etc. Almost everybody has a weirdly exaggerated sense of width for things on the ground. .
The metal trailers pulled by most landscaping trucks are 8.5' wide.
A suburban is 6.5' without mirrors, an extra 1' with.

From this it is easy to estimate within a ft. the width of a lane.

For example
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
060410pass40000.jpeg (11.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-21-12, 05:54 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Impossible.

Unless you can reach inside of vehicles and physically turn distracted drivers' heads.
So say you. I do everything I can to grab their attention. If I have to ride the yellow line, I will do it, all in an effort to grab the motorists' attention.
Old 06-21-12, 05:56 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Been telling him that for weeks now... he thinks he has some special power...
Not special power. But if I didn't make an effort to grab their attention, I wouldn't be riding on the road.
Old 06-21-12, 05:58 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But bad drivers don't notice obstacles untill it's too late. Or never.
True, At first. So I aim to be the PITA obstacle that gets noticed. Rather than one that doesn't get noticed.
Old 06-21-12, 05:59 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

So say you. I do everything I can to grab their attention. If I have to ride the yellow line, I will do it, all in an effort to grab the motorists' attention.
You won't get the attention of a driver who passed out at the wheel.
Old 06-21-12, 06:01 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I strive to get noticed as early as possible. But I always verify if there are signs that I have been noticed. If no signs I have to assume I am not noticed. If those signs indicate I am, I still monitor until it is clear the driver is responding to me and only me.
Old 06-21-12, 06:02 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Of course not. But I will constantly be checking to see what they are doing.
Old 06-21-12, 06:03 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I strive to get noticed as early as possible. But I always verify if there are signs that I have been noticed. If no signs I have to assume I am not noticed. If those signs indicate I am, I still monitor until it is clear the driver is responding to me and only me.
+1
Old 06-21-12, 06:09 PM
RobertHurst

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Or one who is brushing sandwich parts off their trousers.
Old 06-21-12, 10:00 PM
ianstew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
or texting.....
or talking on the cel phone...........
or the parent turning around to yell at their kids...........
Old 06-21-12, 10:18 PM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ianstew
or texting.....
or talking on the cel phone...........
or the parent turning around to yell at their kids...........
Don't you guys ever look to see, if the motorist behind you is paying attention, or not. Then once it becomes obvious that they aren't, react accordingly. Otherwise, Why bother even riding on the road, if you don't make the effort to be seen.

Sure there are driver distractions. But since a bike(and for that matter a motor vehicle) cannot blow a horn at the vehicle behind them to grab the attention of the ignorant driver, they have to do something else.

Last edited by Chris516; 06-21-12 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-21-12, 10:53 PM
Digitalfiend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you really, REALLY think that's what I meant?

She was killed taking the lane uphill. By a driver who overtook another car coming over the hill from the other side. Had she hugged the roadside, she would have lived.
She might also have lived had she been ten seconds slower reaching the hill or decided not to ride that day. Would your view still be the same if she had been killed riding a motorcycle instead of a bicycle? I hope you see that it's reckless driving that causes these deaths/accidents and not the cyclist's choice to use the lane?

I'm not one to ride in the middle of the road and I probably put myself at risk more than I should but I won't fault a cyclist that wants to take the lane, even if it "inconveniences" me as a motorist. Unlike some motorists though, I refuse to endanger myself, the cyclist(s) or other motorists just to save a few seconds.

Unless a cyclist swerves infront of a car unexpectedly there is zero excuse for a motorist hitting one (given clear conditions/visibility, etc.) There is also no reason to make an illegal pass either. I believe that stupid motorists will do stupid things regardless of the obstacle infront of them. Replace the cyclist with a tractor or frightened elderly motorist doing 20-under and you'll still get angry motorists making dangerous passes. But for some reason cyclists incite more ire, likely because they are more vulnerable to being treated poorly than an 8000lbs+ tractor.
Old 06-21-12, 11:43 PM
hagen2456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digitalfiend
She might also have lived had she been ten seconds slower reaching the hill or decided not to ride that day. Would your view still be the same if she had been killed riding a motorcycle instead of a bicycle? I hope you see that it's reckless driving that causes these deaths/accidents and not the cyclist's choice to use the lane?
As cyclist we've got the privilege to be able to stay close to the roadside. So that we can be out of the way of reckless, drugged and distracted drivers.
Old 06-22-12, 05:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Don't you guys ever look to see, if the motorist behind you is paying attention, or not. Then once it becomes obvious that they aren't, react accordingly. Otherwise, Why bother even riding on the road, if you don't make the effort to be seen.

Sure there are driver distractions. But since a bike(and for that matter a motor vehicle) cannot blow a horn at the vehicle behind them to grab the attention of the ignorant driver, they have to do something else.
Do you have a mirror that gives you the kind of detail where you can tell whether Betty is paying more attention to a phone than the road? And that with Betty closing in on you at 40MPH. Do you linger in the middle of the lane while you are gathering this information? I do what you are talking about when I am motoring at close to the same speed as the people behind me, but I can't do it in my cage if the people behind me are closing at a 10 MPH differential or greater. Every now and then I'll get some information in a snapshot rearview glance that concerns me, but I certainly don't have the luxury of studying my 6 to see if someone is paying attention...whatever that looks like.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 06-22-12 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 05:21 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you have a mirror that gives you the kind of detail where you can tell whether Betty is paying more attention to a phone than the road? And that with Betty closing in on you at 40MPH. Do you linger in the middle of the lane while you are gathering this information? I do what you are talking about when I am motoring at close to the same speed as the people behind me, but I can't do it in my cage if the people behind me are closing at a 10 MPH differential or greater. Every now and then I'll get some information in a snapshot rearview glance that concerns me, but I certainly don't have the luxury of studying my 6 to see if someone is paying attention...whatever that looks like.
I don't use a mirror at all. I don't 'linger' in the middle of the lane, I 'take the lane'. When I glance back, I quickly note their head position along with the position and speed of the car.

A couple days ago, I went straight through a green light. But a driver making a left turn almost broadsided me. Because they weren't paying attention to the road. The were lucky that they didn't broadsided by another vehicle as a result of their own stupidity.

Last edited by Chris516; 06-22-12 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 06:04 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

I don't use a mirror at all. I don't 'linger' in the middle of the lane, I 'take the lane'. When I glance back, I quickly note their head position along with the position and speed of the car.

A couple days ago, I went straight through a green light. But a driver making a left turn almost broadsided me. Because they weren't paying attention to the road. The were lucky that they didn't broadsided by another vehicle as a result of their own stupidity.

Ah, the dreaded left turner. Left turners are the collisions that kill the most motorcyclists. They don't scare me as badly on the bicycle because of my slower speed, but they demand attention nonetheless.
Old 06-22-12, 06:38 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ah, the dreaded left turner. Left turners are the collisions that kill the most motorcyclists. They don't scare me as badly on the bicycle because of my slower speed, but they demand attention nonetheless.
As he was making his left turn, I saw him coming. But he never took his foot off the gas. I kept thinking that I was going to get hit in the back tire again but that this jerk was not going to damage my bike, but total it. He noticed me at almost the last minute then applied his brakes. I stared at the guy with a DEATH STARE, shaking my head and verbally beratimg him and then continued towards my destination.
Old 06-22-12, 07:03 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

As he was making his left turn, I saw him coming. But he never took his foot off the gas. I kept thinking that I was going to get hit in the back tire again but that this jerk was not going to damage my bike, but total it. He noticed me at almost the last minute then applied his brakes. I stared at the guy with a DEATH STARE, shaking my head and verbally beratimg him and then continued towards my destination.
Those are the bad ones. If they slow at all, it's imperceptible, they aren't turning from a dedicated turning lane and they don't give a turn signal. It's also a common cause of car on car collisions. I approach all intersections on high alert and at often reduced speed.

Last edited by Paul Barnard; 06-22-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-22-12, 07:12 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I don't assume I am visible. I make sure I am visible.
You just contradicted yourself. Without confirmation, the only way you can be sure you are visible is via super-duper spidey senses. So the point is, always assume you are not visible unless you have confirmation from a specific party in question that they see you.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-22-12, 07:19 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
Chip, the laws of your state, and Florida, and Georgia - and many others - explicitly include some mention of the 'reasonableness' standard in their instructions to bicyclists.

the reasonable man standard is clearly expressed in Georgia law. it is clearly expressed in Ohio's instructions to bicyclists.
You can keep sputtering this nonsense all day, but you are still incorrect. The law does not define what is reasonable...no matter how many times you click your heels and wish you were a lawyer back in Kansas.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.