Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New or Used Touring Gear

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New or Used Touring Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 03:09 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
interesting, the ones you would see around here tend to be a two blue colour that were a few years before mine, mine I think is a 91 and was probably the last of them sold--a solid kinda green/blue colour, so maybe yours was a bit before. Who knows. Seems to have all the same basic little details, the small " K " embossed on the top of the seatstay (in pink) , the two spare spokes attached to the chainstay, even the seatpost stuff where the actual seat attaches is same looking. Mine has a sticker near the chainrings on the frame tube that says stuff about the frame tubes, quad butted something or other, details about the metal used.
Mine, like other bikes of that time, had those slightly oval shaped chainrings, Biopace, not sure if yours have them. I didnt like them and got rid of them after one year.
Also, it looks like someone changed the shifters to bar ends, all Caravans Ive seen have downtube shifters. Unless your bike is a different model of bike that may have been an expedition bike that they sold in the late 80s, can't recall name.
The derailleurs are diff than the deore LX stuff that was on my era bike. But no matter if it all works.
Cant tell what crankset you have on it

given its age, its worth regreasing all the bearing points. Dont know if you've ever done this before, but the wheel hubs probably need it, but can only be determined by someone who knows by feel how a hub feels turning it with their own fingers. Same with the bb bottom bracket, if its the original ball bearing one. Headset too for that matter.
Doing all this yourself will save you 100-150 bucks.
Old 04-21-20, 03:28 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
oh, and on both front and back canti brakes, there are those extra brace hoop things that you saw on mountain bikes from this era. So who knows, maybe all that was put on as extras by the owner.
Is this bike 700c wheels or 26in wheels? I can't tell from the photo. I doubt mountain bike models had those two extra spokes stuck on the part of the frame, but who knows.
and what is the crankset teeth numbers of the rings? I can't tell from the photos either.