Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Diverge owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 02:49 AM
masterchief

Bikes: 2016 All City Macho Man, 2017 Trek 520, 1997 GT Karakoram

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
They have dropped SCS from the Crux, not sure about the Tarmac. Diverge is still SCS, as explicitly stated in the wheel specs- though maybe that will change next year.
Well done Specialized, now we have this odd hub standard that lasted for what, two or three years? How did you not see that coming when you realeased this niche standard that no other brand uses.

I know you can get a deraileur hanger that will work with standard 135mm hubs, I just hate when brands do stupid **** like this, it adds even more complexity to the maze of standards out there.
Old 08-08-16, 11:07 AM
mateophx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

[IMG]<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/ucEKc"><a href="//imgur.com/ucEKc"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/IMG]

here's mine.

---can someone please help explain how to easily post pictures too. ---

Last edited by mateophx; 08-08-16 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 08:11 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Nice looking ride.
Old 08-25-16, 02:27 PM
RdRider

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is an all-around bike worth it?

Looking for feedback from Diverge owners. I've been riding an '05 Roubaix for over a decade and looking to treat myself to an upgrade. I was thinking about just getting a newer Roubaix and maybe get a little crazy with electronic shifters! I use to be more of a runner but have been shifting towards riding as I become more injury prone. I've been doing shorter distance stuff...50mi or less. I'd like to do a century next year, some longer distance tours, bike camping, and maybe start participating in some local bike races (mostly fun, but a little competitively).

I like that the Diverge can be equipped with bigger tires, and racks if need be. But I don't know if that's enough to make it a decent touring bike, or how off-road capable it really is. I'm trying to decide if my money would be better spent on sticking with something more road specific with better components since that's what will get the most use day to day...or if that option on tires and the disc breaks really opens up more options on where I can ride.
Old 08-25-16, 05:24 PM
GeneO 

Originally Posted by Jofu
Hey GeneO, good stuff!

By the way, I ended up replacing my tires with Specialized Trigger Pro 33mm, because I got 3 flats within 1 week of ownership :/

I was nervous about them affecting the ride, but so far I haven't noticed a difference and, more importantly, no more flats in 700+ miles

Geoff

Well, after about 800 miles I got three rear flats in 3 commutes. The first I couldn't investigate as I was on my way home in mosquito infested area. The second happened on my way to work. I checked the rim, tape and tire but couldn't find any debris or anything causing the flat, so re[placed the tube and got to work a little late. The third just went flat in my office, so I could investigate. Turns out there was a very small hole in the flat, no tread, middle of the casing made by a sharp stone or something. A tiny lip from the hole protruded inward. This rubbed a hole in the inner tube. So I patched the tire and tube. The casing is very thin there, so I guess I will be replacing these soon enough. Too bad,, they ride pretty good at least for commuting on limestone/gravel mixed with pavement. I may look at the triggers.
Old 08-28-16, 08:24 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Well, after about 800 miles I got three rear flats in 3 commutes.
I may look at the triggers.
Yeah, the original tires are quite light, but too flat prone Let me know how you like the triggers! I'm sure other brands make equally capable tires, so it may also be worth looking into.

Oh, and by the way I noticed the Expert X1 is back on Specialized website! Nothing seems to have changed, so it's unclear to me if it's still the 2016 or a new 2017...

Best,

Geoff
Old 08-28-16, 08:31 PM
Jofu

Bikes: 2015 Spec Roubaix Expert, 2016 Spec Diverge Expert X1, 2018 Allez Sprint eTap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RdRider
Looking for feedback from Diverge owners. I've been riding an '05 Roubaix for over a decade and looking to treat myself to an upgrade. I was thinking about just getting a newer Roubaix and maybe get a little crazy with electronic shifters! I use to be more of a runner but have been shifting towards riding as I become more injury prone. I've been doing shorter distance stuff...50mi or less. I'd like to do a century next year, some longer distance tours, bike camping, and maybe start participating in some local bike races (mostly fun, but a little competitively).

I like that the Diverge can be equipped with bigger tires, and racks if need be. But I don't know if that's enough to make it a decent touring bike, or how off-road capable it really is. I'm trying to decide if my money would be better spent on sticking with something more road specific with better components since that's what will get the most use day to day...or if that option on tires and the disc breaks really opens up more options on where I can ride.
Hello there!

For me, if I had to keep just one bike, it would have to be my Roubaix, because I enjoy riding on the road mostly, but if/when I plan to ride slightly offroad and on gravel, I'm quite happy to switch to the Diverge with its bigger tires.

I personally haven't gone touring with it, but I have done at least one century with it, and 65+miles just Saturday (7200ft climbing), so I would think you can do it all with that Diverge, if you so choose

Geoff
Old 08-28-16, 08:35 PM
GeneO 

Yeah, the original tires are quite light, but too flat prone Let me know how you like the triggers! I'm sure other brands make equally capable tires, so it may also be worth looking into.

Oh, and by the way I noticed the Expert X1 is back on Specialized website! Nothing seems to have changed, so it's unclear to me if it's still the 2016 or a new 2017...

Best,

Geoff
Awesome. I noticed the alloy Axis SCS TA wheels are also there, but under Roval road
Old 08-31-16, 11:07 PM
_pj_

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I just recently purchased a Specialized Diverge Elite DSW two weeks ago. I'm new to cycling, and I'm not familiar with how the bike should fit. Is bike fitting necessary and worth it? Also I'm thinking of replacing the plastic pedals that was installed in the bike, any suggestion on the pedals? Thanks!
Old 09-01-16, 11:49 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You may get different answers of course, and I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't worry about a bike fit until at least a few months of riding. I would instead mostly pay attention to your body, and the various pain point you might get after riding longer distances like 50-100 mile rides.

After some months of that (maybe 1000-2000 miles?) then you can go for a fit and have a conversation with the fitter as to what your experience has been so far, etc.

I actually haven't had a bike fit yet, after 8000+ miles, I should probably get one

Geoff
Old 09-05-16, 08:13 AM
Nki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got a diverge elite dsw this weekend. It matched about 90% of what I was looking for in terms of being a pretty solid bike for long road rides and some trail riding as well.
It's a 54, and I am 5'9". Compared to my motobecane fantom cx, I can stand higher over the top tube, which I like. It also feels more compact in length, which I like overall because I feel more in control of the slightly smaller bike. The frame is solid and responsive and I like the disc brakes quite a bit. Derailleurs seem fine to me - they came solidly dialed in, but at my level a few minutes of tuning does a lot more than buying more expensive mech. I am probably going to put a longer stem on it that's sitting in the garage.
I put 25mm tires on it and did a 55mile ride that included a short section of washed out greenways. It sounds like I should try out the 30s it came with for a long ride too though. The contact area on them is very small on straight flat roads.
My one complaint is the axis 3.0 wheels - they aren't terrible, and my average speeds are basically the same, but I have vuelta corsa lites on my other bike and these don't roll the way the vueltas do. For a pretty cheap wheel, vueltas just sing. I had been figuring on getting a new pair of wheels but am realizing that the odd length qr in back and thru axle up front are going to complicate things. Anyone have any more advice on wheel upgrades for this bike?
Old 09-07-16, 06:51 PM
cseaman

Bikes: 2016 Crux, 2018 Allez Sprint

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any feedback from Diverge Sport or Elite DSW owners? I am looking for a bike to sit next to my Venge Pro and literally do everything the Venge can't, outside of MTB..which I don't care for. So, gravel riding, errands around town (hopping curbs and ****), etc. I don't really want to spend more than the Sport is listed at; $1150. However, seriously looking at specs, it seems the Elite is probably worth the jump up to $1400.

I live in Kansas and gravel riding is huge here; I don't really see myself getting into it, but there are a lot of hiking and outdoors areas accessible by a combo of gravel and paved road, thus my interest in this bike.

A friend at the LBS recommended a Crux, but I think that's more $$ and more CX focused than I am (I'm not.) He also only knows me as an aggressive group ride guy with a Venge on sram red & 60mm deep HEDs, lol, so I think he may just think I want more performance out of this addition to the stable than I want or need.

Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by cseaman; 09-08-16 at 11:35 AM. Reason: more research on elite dsw
Old 09-08-16, 02:56 PM
MacAttack

Bikes: Kona Dew Drop

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cseaman
Any feedback from Diverge Sport or Elite DSW owners? I am looking for a bike to sit next to my Venge Pro and literally do everything the Venge can't, outside of MTB..which I don't care for. So, gravel riding, errands around town (hopping curbs and ****), etc. I don't really want to spend more than the Sport is listed at; $1150. However, seriously looking at specs, it seems the Elite is probably worth the jump up to $1400.

I live in Kansas and gravel riding is huge here; I don't really see myself getting into it, but there are a lot of hiking and outdoors areas accessible by a combo of gravel and paved road, thus my interest in this bike.

A friend at the LBS recommended a Crux, but I think that's more $$ and more CX focused than I am (I'm not.) He also only knows me as an aggressive group ride guy with a Venge on sram red & 60mm deep HEDs, lol, so I think he may just think I want more performance out of this addition to the stable than I want or need.

Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling.
I would wait for a sale. I almost got one last week, but it didn't quite meet every spec I desired. It's marked down to $1,310 here & they had an additional 10% off, so $1,179.

I prefer the specs on the Felt V85 which is also on sale, but I haven't test ridden one yet. It takes wider tires with & without fenders (up to 38), & has a lower gear (Shimano 105) to help my weak climbing ability. Also has a longer wheelbase & chainstay. I hit my heels a couple times on the Diverge Elite's chainstays. Not sure if that's because I was wearing tennis shoes or what the deal was.
Old 09-08-16, 06:39 PM
cseaman

Bikes: 2016 Crux, 2018 Allez Sprint

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MacAttack
I would wait for a sale. I almost got one last week, but it didn't quite meet every spec I desired. It's marked down to $1,310 here & they had an additional 10% off, so $1,179.

I prefer the specs on the Felt V85 which is also on sale, but I haven't test ridden one yet. It takes wider tires with & without fenders (up to 38), & has a lower gear (Shimano 105) to help my weak climbing ability. Also has a longer wheelbase & chainstay. I hit my heels a couple times on the Diverge Elite's chainstays. Not sure if that's because I was wearing tennis shoes or what the deal was.
Was this a 2017 or a 2016? I don't wanna mess with a 2016 because of the SCS wheel shenanigans. I'd jump '17 at $1179 like nobody's business.
Old 09-09-16, 12:32 PM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was this a 2017 or a 2016? I don't wanna mess with a 2016 because of the SCS wheel shenanigans. I'd jump '17 at $1179 like nobody's business.
2017 model. They're still on sale at 2 stores around here for $1,310. No more 10% off as that's only allowed by Specialized twice per year. The store that did that will probably do it again in March.

I just realized today I made a mistake when I calculated the lowest gear for the Diverge. I thought it was 33 before, but if I did the calculator right today it's actually 27. I probably would've bought it for $1,179 if I hadn't made that mistake. I'm a weak hill-climber. The Felt bike didn't fit me, & the larger size is unavailable, so the Diverge is my top pick at the moment. I think I'll go test ride it again.
Old 09-09-16, 12:47 PM
MacAttack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Diverge Elite can take 32mm tires with fenders?
I'm pretty sure it can, but I wanted to make sure.
Old 09-09-16, 06:01 PM
GeneO 

I believe only the Carbon Fiber models had SCS frame/wheels. They still do in 2017.

Last edited by GeneO; 09-09-16 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 03:18 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I have 2016 Diverge A1 (Claris model Black/Gray, 8 speed). Before that I had 2015 Diverge Sport A1 (Sora model Dark gray/hyper green, 9 speed). I do gravel mainly, about 95%. I live in Missouri so we have some nice small pebble trails. I enjoy riding on them, and my rides are around 20-30 miles. I do this about every other day. First of all, there is small if any difference between these two models. Claris to Sora, they shifted exactly the same. It gets the job done. Now, I'm not sure how new Sora r3000 does. So this could change. Mine is 54cm and is about 25lbs with clip in pedals. I have a small seat bag for cellphone, 2 big bottles of water and all, I'm sure its around 27-28lbs. Its not the lightest, but still pretty quick. When I started biking this summer i was 20 lbs heavier, couple months later I lost around 20lbs and my speed increased significantly. I build some leg muscles on this 8 speed bike, and on the strava segments I ride, I am always in top 3 among other riders. I used to cry that I needed more gears, and it would be nice, im sure, but 8 will do for now. Im used to it. This bike is great for beginner riders. Its good on the road as well as on trail and it looks more like a road bike. I like the look of road bike more. 30mm tires are a perfect balance of grip and speed. I really haven't had any major issues with the bike. Quality is good. Disc Brakes squeak sometime, and occasional rub on front derailleur under load in certain gear or two. This could be due to lower quality crankset (claris). This model and sora one does not have SCS. Overall im very happy with the bike, it is a little expensive if you ask me, but you are paying for that name. When I decide to upgrade maybe this or next year, I will get 105 model or X1.

Last edited by bh85; 09-13-16 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-14-16, 11:26 AM
elemcee84

Bikes: Yes Please

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on the carbon vs the smartweld vs the A1 frame, aside from the price point and weight savings? Have heard good things about the DSW as far as feel/stiffness but have never ridden one. From '15 to '16 I notice they switched the "comp" model to carbon from DSW along with a higher price point and then pushed the "elite" from A1 to DSW and kept the price point basically the same, and really the price difference between the '16 DSW and A1 models is pretty negligible. Does anyone have enough experience with both to speak to the performance difference between the DSW and the A1 frames - is there a noticeable difference or is it a marketing gimmick? Cause it seems like the difference in price on the lower end (non-carbon) models is entirely fueled by the components. Thoughts?
Old 09-24-16, 06:13 PM
Jofu

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Random post, but I noticed yesterday that Specialized has lowered the cost of the Diverge Expert and Diverge Expert X1. The former went from $3800 down to $3400, and the latter went from $3900 down to $3300.

This leads me to believe they're probably discontinuing them both, or at least replacing them with better 2017 models. Either way, maybe someone is interested to take advantage of the new price! The X1 in particular wasn't covered by the most recent sale they had last April (which is when I bought mine hehe).

Geoff
Old 09-24-16, 06:17 PM
GeneO 

Last of the SCS.
Old 09-29-16, 09:43 PM
bh85

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Random post, but I noticed yesterday that Specialized has lowered the cost of the Diverge Expert and Diverge Expert X1. The former went from $3800 down to $3400, and the latter went from $3900 down to $3300.

This leads me to believe they're probably discontinuing them both, or at least replacing them with better 2017 models. Either way, maybe someone is interested to take advantage of the new price! The X1 in particular wasn't covered by the most recent sale they had last April (which is when I bought mine hehe).

Geoff
Yea they haven't done much as far as changing colors or anything on Diverges. They just replaced cranksets and wheels. Colors are the same. Im not sure whats going on, or is this it for 2017 models?
Old 10-18-16, 11:55 PM
mcchalkley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On order! Hope it fits me. 61cm.

Just ordered my diverge elite DSW. I'm 6foot 3.5 inches tall. (192cm) 34inch leg. According to specialized size chart I fit smack in the middle of the 61cm size. I ride a 61cm Tarmac SL4 race bike and it fits like a glove. Ide love to here from other 61cm diverge owners!? Cheers
Old 11-27-16, 12:20 AM
spsteevoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked up my '17 DSW from the LBS this morning, and I'm loving it! Well, everything but the brakes which may take some time to bed in....hopefully....

Replaced my Rockhopper as the commuter.

Looking forward to finding some more great riding in paradise!

Last edited by spsteevoe; 11-27-16 at 12:23 AM.
Likes For spsteevoe:
Old 11-27-16, 12:27 AM
spsteevoe

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
]Picked up my '17 DSW from the LBS this morning, and I'm loving it! Well, everything but the brakes which may take some time to bed in....hopefully....

Replaced my Rockhopper as the commuter.

Looking forward to finding some more great riding in paradise!

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/FcwKyua.jpg[/IMG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.