Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dynamo Hub: do you have one?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dynamo Hub: do you have one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-15, 09:23 PM
yankeefan

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input from those who responded to my prior post. I just have a few more questions...

Can I power both a headlight and a taillight with just a front hub. or will I need a rear hub as well? I remember reading somewhere that people use it to charge their cellphones, is that true?
Old 03-05-15, 09:34 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by yankeefan
Can I power both a headlight and a taillight with just a front hub. or will I need a rear hub as well? I remember reading somewhere that people use it to charge their cellphones, is that true?
A single modern dyno hub is enough to run any dyno compatible headlight, and tail light combination available.
My Busch & Muller Luxos U has a USB charger that will maintain power up to 100ma for devices with the lights on, charge devices over 100ma with the lights off, and power a device for around 4 minutes while stationary with the lithium cache.
They don't put out enough for something like a laptop, but its good for phones, GPS, cameras, ipods, and USB rechargeable lights.

Last edited by kickstart; 03-05-15 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-05-15, 10:21 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Some good info on dyno lighting: Lighting systems

With most of the the rear light connects to the front light that sort of acts as a voltage regulator.
Old 03-05-15, 10:58 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yankeefan
With modern LED head and tail lights you can easily power a pair of headlights and at least one tail light - I'm running (and have for almost 4 years) two B&M IQ Fly headlights and a B&M Seculite tail powered with a single Shimano 3N71 dynohub on the front wheel. I don't feel the difference when riding when switching between one and two headlights. (I don't even feel a difference when riding with the lights off or the lights on)
I did try adding a second halogen headlight alongside a LED headlight and I really could feel the drag when riding.
Old 03-05-15, 11:06 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
My opinion- they're great in the right conditions. I have a Son 20/ Edelux, etc. Light is fairly uniform, but not super bright. Out on a dark lonely road, it's great. If you get in with a bunch of car headlights or bright streetlights, it kind of gets lost in the other lights.

Good point: Light is always there, you never forget to charge it or have batteries run out.

One negative: On lights with a "shaped" beam, you have to have them oriented right to work right. I've seen a couple of people with lights pointed too low, which gave them a bright little rectangle right in front of their bike that was pretty useless (and both of those people used OTHER lights in conjunction with that light, no surprise). Adjust it right, and it's not as bright on the ground but lights up from about 8' in front of you on out.
Old 03-05-15, 11:57 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving Hawaii

Personally I just run a European battery light. Ixon IQ Premium that I found new online for $100 shipped. Great light, comes off the bike easily. 5hr battery life. Just remember to plug it into the charger when you get home.
Charging the light is the problem i am loking to solve. As a more ocassional user, having lights charged is hard.
Old 03-06-15, 04:38 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I have been using a Philips hub for about a year. I was not totally sold on the idea but the daytime driving lights a (sort of) brake light and the fact that I could put my toe in the water for a $47 hub made me try it. The Philips hub only produces 2 watts more drag than the Schmidt hubs so I am pleased. I think it's good for full time use on commuters. I had Peter White build up the wheel for about $200 total shipped to Michigan.

Marc
Old 03-06-15, 10:48 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Yes, mine, too, and the standlight stays on much longer than the standlight on my headlight. Of course, it's because power consumption is much lower in a tail light.
Also the capacitor pack is in the tail light on the B&M models that ive seen. If you cut out the headlamp (turn off), technically the tail lamp is hard wired with no switch & would stay on even if you removed it off the bike....

- Andy
Old 03-06-15, 10:50 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
The standard layout that i've seen is the front hub wired to the headlamp with leads going back to the tail light which houses the capacitor. The capacitor keeps the lights on when you're stopped after it gets a minute of charge from the hub.

- Andy
Old 03-07-15, 01:20 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Here's some of the major manufacturers with lots of information.

Spanninga Bicycle Lights | Safe and Innovative
Home*-*axa-stenman
Busch & Müller: Home

Here's a reliable, economical source.

Bicycle Lights
Old 03-07-15, 02:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
My wife picked out her commuter with two non negotiable features, an internal gear hub and generator lights.

When I built her a second lightweight city bike, it got generator lights as well.
Old 03-07-15, 10:35 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
The only place you might realize there is drag, is if you coast downhill next to another cyclist. Forget about it.
When I ride with people, I almost always out-coast them with my dyno lights on. Drag really is a non-issue
Old 03-07-15, 03:27 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I have been using a Philips hub for about a year. I was not totally sold on the idea but the daytime driving lights a (sort of) brake light and the fact that I could put my toe in the water for a $47 hub made me try it. The Philips hub only produces 2 watts more drag than the Schmidt hubs so I am pleased. I think it's good for full time use on commuters. I had Peter White build up the wheel for about $200 total shipped to Michigan.

Marc
link to the philips? I can find lights, but not hubs/wheels. $47 is tempting though!
Old 03-07-15, 03:47 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
link to the philips? I can find lights, but not hubs/wheels. $47 is tempting though!
Calhoun cycle has complete wheels with a Sanyo hub for as little as $135.
Custom Dynamo Front Wheel
Old 03-07-15, 04:52 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto
I was absolutely wrong, it was the same Sanyo hub others are talking about. I don't know how I crossed up the Philips brand, my mistake entirely, but here is the link Sanyo 6 volt bicycle Generators ,and I like it a lot. The price tag was what pushed me to try it, I would have stuck with tire driven dynos if not for a chance to try it at a lower price.

Marc
Old 03-08-15, 09:45 AM
jade408

Headed to the bike shop today to get the ball rolling. Hopefully they can get the lights i want!
Old 03-08-15, 09:52 AM
jade408

My blog post should answer most of your questions. As the post says, cost was $160. I've been so pleased with the system that my only regret is not building it sooner. The light system is one of the reasons I choose this bike from among my too many other bikes. I have 100% confidence that the lights will work whenever I ride. I even leave the lights on in the day because I can't feel the drag, and I figure it can't hurt, and it could help me be seen.

The system I describe in my post, cited above, cost $160, but that doesn't count the labor to build the wheel. I build my own wheels, and it's something I enjoy doing. Since I wrote that post, I found that you can get pre-built wheels at great prices. There is one with the Sanyo hub for only around $100. Paying extra for a Shimano hub might be worth it. The Shimano hub has less drag, especially when not delivering electrical power. I went cheap, and I don't regret it, but I don't blame anyone for paying more for something better.

The European-spec lights work great for me. The actual power output is low, and they compensate for that by designing the optics very painstakingly. The light is clear and commanding. By commanding, I mean it is so well focused that I get a lot of respect from pedestrians that I didn't get with less serious-looking lights. Because German law is strict about beam shape, there is a sharp cutoff at the top of the beam. This reduces the likelihood of shining into people's eyes, and it also directs more light where you actually need it.

I don't lock my bike up in public for long periods, but I do lock it up occasionally. I was once the target of vandalism. The vandal tried to remove my headlight, but he didn't have any tools. All he did was bend the mount and remove the lens. I've been living without the lens. I was able to bend the mount back into shape, so my loss was negligible. So one unexpected benefit of dynamo-powered lights is that the lights are bolted onto the bike rather than clamped on. Thieves could steal them, but in general, bike thieves don't. It's not rational of them to leave stuff like this, because for just a little effort, they could get themselves some nice lights. But we can't use rationality to predict their behavior. Rather, we just have to observe how they operate. Interestingly, I notice they don't cut cheap cables if the payoff is just one wheel. I often lock my frame and rear wheel with a U-lock, and I lock my front wheel to my frame with a cheap cable lock. I have never lost a wheel that way. It would be easy for a thief, and thieves do carry cable cutters, whereas they often don't seem to carry wrenches.
Thank you for the link. Great info. The plan for me is to rebuild my existing wheel. Mine has a paint-matched rim (to the frame) and I'd like to keep the look. After calling a few bike shops, the closest one also felt the most knowledgeable in the process and mentioned reusing my wheel was best. I might luck out and the wheel rebuild might not be necessary at all. This swayed me. So i'll puck out a hub and some lights and have them install. The SHUTTER precision hub seems to be getting excellent reviews as well. So i might go in that direction.
Old 04-07-15, 03:49 PM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just purchased all this stuff and its waiting for me at home. Ill update when I have it installed and ridden!
Old 04-07-15, 04:16 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
I just purchased all this stuff and its waiting for me at home. Ill update when I have it installed and ridden!
Looking forward to it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-07-15, 07:51 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been toying with the idea of getting a 2nd (more lightweight) wheelset for my touring bike with a closer spaced cassette and a dynamo hub. The end goal being to make the bike a little faster for brevets. Sadly that plan is probably going to be put on hold for the time being. I do think dynamo hubs are quite practical for riding long hours in less than ideal lighting conditions. Probably not necessary for commuting, but still nice to have.
Old 04-07-15, 08:40 PM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to it.
You and me both. Vacation was never such a burden before until I knew I had a brand new wheel, son 28 iso disc, luxos u and toplight line plus breaktech pulse just WAITING....

Attached Images
Old 04-07-15, 08:43 PM
bonner1040

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And a full set of pit locks. Fork, wheels, light mount, and seat (keyed alike)

Last edited by bonner1040; 04-07-15 at 08:56 PM. Reason: content / comma
Old 04-28-15, 09:49 PM
bonner1040

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So have had the SON/Luxos U/TopLight Brake Pulse combo installed for about two weeks now and I have to say I really like it. The dynamo resistance is unnoticeable to me while riding.

The amount of light that that the Luxos U throws is just obscene. I mean really it might be TOO bright. The tail light comparatively is modest in brightness and works as advertised although I cant seem to figure how to activate the standlight even though I am sure it is wired correctly.

Overall it was a great upgrade and one I will make to any non-superlight racer bike I own in the future.

I will put some photos and maybe a video together this week.
Old 04-28-15, 10:18 PM
kickstart

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bonner1040
So have had the SON/Luxos U/TopLight Brake Pulse combo installed for about two weeks now and I have to say I really like it. The dynamo resistance is unnoticeable to me while riding.

The amount of light that that the Luxos U throws is just obscene. I mean really it might be TOO bright. The tail light comparatively is modest in brightness and works as advertised although I cant seem to figure how to activate the standlight even though I am sure it is wired correctly.

Overall it was a great upgrade and one I will make to any non-superlight racer bike I own in the future.

I will put some photos and maybe a video together this week.
Did you turn the standlight on with the little switch on the bottom of the tail light? the standlight should always function if the switch is on, just keep in mind once turned on you need to ride a minute or so to charge the capacitor for it to function. If its on double check the wiring, the wire with the white trace must always connect to the pole with the "pitchfork" icon.
Old 04-29-15, 05:11 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I have several dynamo hubs, including 6v Sturmey Archer ones going back to the 50's and a 12v Sturmey Archer one from the 30's, as well as various modern Sanyo and Shimano ones. I like them. I've got some of them for free or with old bikes that were nearly free; other hubs cost $35 and up.

I haven't decided whether you get a significantly better hub by spending significantly more money. I've had a couple cheap Shimano ones fail spontaneously, but the others are pretty great. Theft is not an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.