Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ever replace a bike due to mileage/use?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ever replace a bike due to mileage/use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-19, 06:19 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 413 Posts
No. My main ride now is a '98 Gios Compact Pro, which I raced in Europe when it was new, and which I have ridden regularly ever since. It has more than 100,000 km on it now, and though it looks a little worse for wear, it is still a great bike to ride. Over the years I have replaced chain rings, chains, brake pads, cables, hub bearings, the rear derailleur, and the brake/shift levers.

The Compact Pro has a steel frame with adjustable dropouts. I crashed in a race 20 years ago and bent the derailleur hanger badly, I bent it back with my bare hands to continue the race, and to this day I haven't bothered to replace it. The paint has numerous scratches, which I have touched up to prevent rust. The bike runs the first generation Mavic Helium wheels, which were high-tech in 1998. I have managed to keep them true, their only weakness is that the bearings last only 20,000 km or so. Luckily, they are easy to replace.

My bike isn't as light as the current carbon fiber bat bikes, but it has razor sharp handling, a comfortable ride, and not having to buy a new bike saves a lot of money, which I can use to buy guitars.