Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 04:35 PM
VintageSteelEU

Bikes: Motobecane C41, Matsu$hita Nashonaru

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 254 Posts
Sprockets on the freewheel I was working on are still soaking the penetrating oil and I didn't have much time to get back to cleaning it. But I got another Suntour Cyclone FD. Good condition, overall, and cleaned up nicely. Not even that much grime on it. The only issue was flaking chrome on the inside of the cage plates. I didn't feel I like the idea of the chain transporting flakes of chrome plating all over the drivetrain, so I gently removed the flaky bits with a grinding bit on a rotary tool. All moving parts got some oil and it's now ready to go on the Superator to finish the build.

Likes For VintageSteelEU:
Old 04-25-24, 12:39 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 1,893 Times in 851 Posts
Earlier today, I had high expectations as I saddled up my big ol' chrome cruiser for the ride down to the co-op. Alas, less than a mile in, I was assailed by horrible crunching cracking noises from the bottom bracket. Abort and back to base.

After a crazy shift at the co-op involving odd chains, adult tricycles, and even a near-brawl, and then taking out the trash, recycle, kitty poop, and bunny byproducts, I decided to diagnose the problem while fresh in my memory. So I herniated hoisted the bike onto the stand and started wrenching under an appropriately full moon.

Turned out it was a seriously loose fixed cup in a removable adapter, compounded by munged threads in the bottom bracket spindle. After disassembly, tapping and di, er, thread chasing, mentally calculating the right amount of Loctite to balance semi-permanent security vs. eventual maintenance, and reassembly, it seems the clunky cracking has been banished and the bike is back in heavy-haul action. So maybe I'll ride it to the co-op next week.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-25-24, 10:45 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 2,550 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Earlier today, I had high expectations as I saddled up my big ol' chrome cruiser for the ride down to the co-op. Alas, less than a mile in, I was assailed by horrible crunching cracking noises from the bottom bracket. Abort and back to base.

After a crazy shift at the co-op involving odd chains, adult tricycles, and even a near-brawl, and then taking out the trash, recycle, kitty poop, and bunny byproducts, I decided to diagnose the problem while fresh in my memory. So I herniated hoisted the bike onto the stand and started wrenching under an appropriately full moon.

Turned out it was a seriously loose fixed cup in a removable adapter, compounded by munged threads in the bottom bracket spindle. After disassembly, tapping and di, er, thread chasing, mentally calculating the right amount of Loctite to balance semi-permanent security vs. eventual maintenance, and reassembly, it seems the clunky cracking has been banished and the bike is back in heavy-haul action. So maybe I'll ride it to the co-op next week.
How could you hear the crunching bottom bracket over that saddle. those handlebars, the spokes, the pump, etc.?
Old 04-25-24, 11:23 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
How could you hear the crunching bottom bracket over that saddle. those handlebars, the spokes, the pump, etc.?
Wisdom is achieved when one can be both loud and silent at the same time.

And I figure it's my bike and I'm spending my time on it, so I don't want it to be all that boring or mundane. It makes me happy, in spite of the unavoidable "quality workout" it provides. And if other riders are quite happy with black matte graphics on black matte frames with black matte wheels and black matte tires, that's OK too.

But this bike is never truly silent, in that Wald baskets are notorious for singing the song of their tribe, fortunately not all that loudly unless I'm hauling loose metal parts in them. And there was a big difference between that level of sound and what I was hearing - and feeling - from the bottom bracket yesterday. All fixed now.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-25-24, 11:33 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Wisdom is achieved when one can be both loud and silent at the same time.

And I figure it's my bike and I'm spending my time on it, so I don't want it to be all that boring or mundane. It makes me happy, in spite of the unavoidable "quality workout" it provides. And if other riders are quite happy with black matte graphics on black matte frames with black matte wheels and black matte tires, that's OK too.

But this bike is never truly silent, in that Wald baskets are notorious for singing the song of their tribe, fortunately not all that loudly unless I'm hauling loose metal parts in them. And there was a big difference between that level of sound and what I was hearing - and feeling - from the bottom bracket yesterday. All fixed now.
I was just funnin' with ya. "It makes me happy." That's all the justification needed, regardless of what I or anyone else might think.

I personally would not go the "explosion in a paint factory" route, nor would I go the black-on-black route. But if forced to choose one or the other, I'd take your color palette in a heartbeat.

Tailwinds, and keep the rubber side down.
Old 04-26-24, 01:55 AM
PromptCritical 

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Building up a bike for my daughter with parts I’ve collected and an eBay frame. I was going to put on a Shimano drivetrain, but after all the trouble I’ve had with our tandem and its Shimano system, I decided to use a SRAM Eagle 12-speed combo (900 hub, XDR Driver, 10-30 cassette and trigger shifter).

I’m incredibly impressed with the engineering attention to detail, the nice touches, how easily it went together and how well it works. The engineers that designed this setup must also work on bikes!

Ran into a snag with the front disc brake, so it’s not rideable yet (I’m now a convert to Centerlock discs), but I love ❤️ Ho it shifts on the stand. Reminds me of paddle shifters on my jalopy!
Old 04-26-24, 09:46 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked 2,621 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
I was just funnin' with ya. "It makes me happy." That's all the justification needed, regardless of what I or anyone else might think.

I personally would not go the "explosion in a paint factory" route, nor would I go the black-on-black route. But if forced to choose one or the other, I'd take your color palette in a heartbeat.

Tailwinds, and keep the rubber side down.
That would fit in nicely in your hometown. A couple of ladies bring by their burning man bikes to get the fur out of the axles, lol.
Old 04-26-24, 12:15 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

[QUOTE=curbtender;23224264]That would fit in nicely in your hometown. A couple of ladies bring by their burning man bikes to get the fur out of the axles, lol.[/QUOTE]
Nah. Too hum-drum.
Old 04-26-24, 01:06 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1146 Post(s)
Liked 1,766 Times in 971 Posts
The Rock Hopper gets a redux for the Mrs. 66.
Old 04-26-24, 01:15 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
The Crescent 318 brazing guinea pig.

And that yellow package behind the vise, that's a pair of plastic gloves from a Chinese restaurant. When they gave them to everyone at my MIL'S 93rd birthday dinner, I couldn't believe they were handing out condoms, and said so, just to amuse myself. Sure as **** nobody else laughed. 😜 😜 😜

Last edited by BTinNYC; 04-26-24 at 02:45 PM.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-26-24, 02:41 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 1,599 Times in 742 Posts
Shifter bosses
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-26-24, 02:52 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 113 Posts
Been putting together a 1970s Claud Butler 531 frame using parts taken from my stash. Front wheel has a SON dynamo and rear has a wide range Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel. Bar cons, Mafac Racer brakes with C Record levers (which work very nicely together), Specialites TA triple with a 26-38-42 combination, Vélo Orange fenders. The bike will be my vélotaf/wet weather ride.

i set it up at first with the brake cables running along the bars, but the rear brake cable stops were clearly designed for cables running out the top of the levers. So I'll find a hole punch and open up the top of the hoods to reroute the brake cables. (Edit to say I found the punch, and the cables have been rerouted. Much better!)

Last edited by Aubergine; 04-26-24 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-26-24, 08:32 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,037 Times in 1,790 Posts
Spent too much time today swapping parts between an old C4 Air One vintage C.F. bike and the new to me Sancineto. Made a stupid mistake in the process and decided to just do a rare for me bike tear down. So stripped the Air One completely except for the headset and binder bolt and listed it locally for sale. I was going to move it along anyone, just not like this.

And while it's not really wrenching I did drop off the old C.F. fork for my Colnago CT1 to a local guy for some minor repair.
Old 04-26-24, 08:59 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 53 Posts
Gettin' my tweed ride randonneuring on! Fired up the sewing machine and roughed up a front bag. Will tidy it all up tomorrow.

Old 04-26-24, 10:44 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

I'd received a pair of lowrider front racks that I thought might be perfect for my Bike Friday. This being Friday, I test-fitted them only to find they were just a bit mismatched for the 20" fork. So I reinstalled the older Blackburn lowriders with my blacksmithed center support, and then remembered that I'd been planning to see if some 20" fenders that I'd purchased for the bike years ago might fit. No better time than a cooler-than-usual Friday, and after fabricating a few unique brackets (and finding out one set of stays were missing), they were finally in place and looking decent.

(the "oversize nail clippers" leaning against the workstand were needed to trim the fender stays.)
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-27-24, 03:50 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 982 Times in 652 Posts
Eying carefully on ebay future MTB spare parts to be purchased , then in june get the gary fisher and then the trek fuel100 assembled. After that from July 2024 until mid 2025 assembly of all road bikes
Old 04-27-24, 08:30 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2331 Post(s)
Liked 5,037 Times in 1,790 Posts
This afternoon was a disassembly of the old Dura Ace headset on the Holdsworth. The grease reminded me more of green peanut butter than grease. Once I got everything all cleaned up I got rid of the caged bearings and rebuilt it with a bunch of loose bearings with fresh grease. It feels so much better now. This was done in anticipation of converting this back to a proper drop bar road bike setup.
Old 04-28-24, 01:36 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 125 Posts
The 90 year old Craftsman 918 lathe had some work done on it over the past week. Sometime in its past, the counter shaft drive pulley was replaced. Because the correct pulley probably wasn't available, or a previous owner made do with what they had(How I was raised), mods were made. Those mods consisted of going without the grease seals and retainers on the left side of the counter shaft. I learned this after pumping grease into the shaft, kicking on the power, and instantly having grease goblins on the white wall behind the lathe, on my shirt, and in my face. Missed my mouth. Just.

The heavy felt grease seals are available as re-pops. The retainers...nope. I hit on the "Hey, I have a lathe. I can make those" thing. After a little thought and Outhouse Engineering's' motto of 'measure once and hope for the best', I hit on modifying engine freeze plugs to work as retainers. It looked good on paper.

First issue was that the new hires at the local NAPA are useless. They can't look up anything without a make/model/year/# of cylinders/with or without AC. I went to the local Auto Zone instead and the old guy behind the counter just asked "what size and how many". I grabbed four at 1 5/8" because I screw up often.
The first two attempts ended up on the 'Experience Pile'. I did not take into account that the backside of the plugs were convex. That made them too thick and messed up the belt alignment. The third attempt worked out and I was able to do the job using a single freeze plug. First I faced the back flat. That gave me a pilot hole that I could bore to the correct ID. Then I used a cut off tool and cut the ring off the back of the plug back. Success.

Both seal retainers on either side of the bearing race. The thing with the bolt in it.

The bolt on the pulley keeps the ring with the felt seal in place on the left side. The Hi-Low range selector/knob/whatzit/thingamajig covers the right side seal when in High range.

I ran the lathe at high speed for a couple of minutes and no more grease goblins flying around.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-28-24, 07:32 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Rode 26 miles this morning with the club, had a nice nap, and now getting back to tube patching. Already patched over a dozen, and tested a bunch more.

Only 10 more bins to go through...
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 04-28-24, 08:33 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by bikamper
First issue was that the new hires at the local NAPA are useless. They can't look up anything without a make/model/year/# of cylinders/with or without AC. I went to the local Auto Zone instead and the old guy behind the counter just asked "what size and how many". I grabbed four at 1 5/8" because I screw up often.
I ran into that when I needed an alternator for an old tractor. It had been converted to 12 volts by mounting a junkyard alternator to it. There are several different alternators that are popular for this mod because they have the diodes and voltage regulator built in, so there is only one wire to connect to the battery. The tractor came to me that way, so I had no idea what car the alternator came from. Just saying "I need one of these" and handing them the part wasn't good enough. The counter person passed me off to someone with more mechanical experience. First, he scrolled through a lot of microfiche to find one that looked like mine so he could figure out how to hook it to the test machine. The alternator only has one output terminal, how hard can it be? After he confirmed it was junk, I asked how much for a new one and his reply was "What make and model?" Didn't we already cover this? So I said what about the one on the microfiche. It was only $45, so I said to ring it up. The mounting ears were slightly different, but I just needed to move a couple washers to line up the pulley to the drive belt and I was in business.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-29-24, 02:46 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked 3,174 Times in 2,001 Posts
Not bike related. Making a throne/reading bench for my princess “niece” (daughter of a work wife). Her name is Lily which the legs spell as a secret if you look at the entire thing from the left of center.

Phases 1 and 2 complete. 3 and 4 to come.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super, 1971 Raleigh International, 1998 Corratec Ap & Dun, 1991 Peugeot Slimestone

Old 04-29-24, 06:12 AM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Originally Posted by Pompiere
I ran into that when I needed an alternator for an old tractor. It had been converted to 12 volts by mounting a junkyard alternator to it. There are several different alternators that are popular for this mod because they have the diodes and voltage regulator built in, so there is only one wire to connect to the battery. The tractor came to me that way, so I had no idea what car the alternator came from. Just saying "I need one of these" and handing them the part wasn't good enough. The counter person passed me off to someone with more mechanical experience. First, he scrolled through a lot of microfiche to find one that looked like mine so he could figure out how to hook it to the test machine. The alternator only has one output terminal, how hard can it be? After he confirmed it was junk, I asked how much for a new one and his reply was "What make and model?" Didn't we already cover this? So I said what about the one on the microfiche. It was only $45, so I said to ring it up. The mounting ears were slightly different, but I just needed to move a couple washers to line up the pulley to the drive belt and I was in business.
I had converted a 1952 Ford pickup to 12 volts using the ubiquitous Delco 10SI alternator. Back then it was a still a 3 wire unit. I think I paid $3 at a swap meet. The diode pack went south, so I went to the local NAPA for one. First I heard was that no one rebuilds alternators. Another guy who wanted to be helpful asked for make, year, and model. To humor the guy, I said 1952 Ford F2. So he reached for the vintage book. I just stared until he said there was no listing. Sighed and walked out. I wandered over to Trak Auto(remember them)on a whim and said I needed a diode pack for a 10 SI alternator. He handed me one and told me to make the accountant happy that he needed the make, model, and year, to ring it up and gave me the “yeah, it’s bull” wink. So I said 1968 Buick Electra.

BTW, my 1948 DeSoto has a Delco 10SI alternator in it, converted to 6 volt positive ground. So nice to have bright headlights.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-29-24, 03:08 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
Been putting together a 1970s Claud Butler 531 frame using parts taken from my stash. Front wheel has a SON dynamo and rear has a wide range Suntour Ultra 6 freewheel. Bar cons, Mafac Racer brakes with C Record levers (which work very nicely together), Specialites TA triple with a 26-38-42 combination, Vélo Orange fenders. The bike will be my vélotaf/wet weather ride.

i set it up at first with the brake cables running along the bars, but the rear brake cable stops were clearly designed for cables running out the top of the levers. So I'll find a hole punch and open up the top of the hoods to reroute the brake cables. (Edit to say I found the punch, and the cables have been rerouted. Much better!)
Bike is now almost done. The last fiddly bits - - adjusting the Mafac brake shoes, getting the rear fender set in place, running the dynamo wires - - took more time than the rest of the danged installation. All I need to do now is wrap the bars once I get the tape, and then straighten out the handlebar bag. I'll take a better photo once it is done.

Old 04-29-24, 06:43 PM
bikamper
1991 PBP Anciens

According to my bone doc and my physical therapist, I'm fixing myself much faster and better than expected.

If I behave myself()I can be boot free by the end of the week. To celebrate, I crawled slowly up on the sidecar rig, backed it out of the garage, and rode up and down the street in front of the house just to see if I could shift it. I could. In an act of good judgement, I rode it right back into the garage and shut it down. Good judgement comes from wisdom. Wisdom comes from bad judgement. If I get the okay after my next session, I may try pedaling a bike up and down the driveway.
Likes For bikamper:
Old 04-29-24, 10:55 PM
victorm

Bikes: 91 Ritchey Ultra, 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1990 Klein Rascal, 97 Trek OCLV9700, 90 Minnelli Eclipse, 95 Marin Bear Valley SE, 1991 Breezer Lightning Flash 1991 Diamondback Axis 1992 Stumpjumper Comp 1983 Stumpjumper Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 237 Posts

For it’s 30th birthday the Hot got reunited with an original tire set.
Likes For victorm:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.