Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 09:27 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2937 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,497 Posts
I am not really sure what the serial numbers scheme is.

Unless something is broken there is no need to replace or upgrade anything. I would check the chain for stretch and replace it if needed, a KMC chain would be perfect for this.

If you wanted to go to something a 8,9,10+ speed you can easily do that with this frame but you may need to have the rear triangle spread or coldest to accommodate the wider axle.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-18-15, 09:47 PM
SalumiScience

Bikes: '09 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4; '99 Cannondale F900SX Lefty; '86 Bianchi Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Bianchigirll!

Quality insight as usual!

SS
Old 07-20-15, 12:37 AM
bcrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all. I just picked up a 1987 Mondiale frame that came with a couple of random Campy C-Record X-4 Panto parts.
Serial Number: I.6 / 22850 ...metallic paint...I think that checks out.

...here's the part I don't understand. There is a "T" stamped on the BB right before the "I.6". "T" is also stamped on the steerer tube.
What's up with the "T"?
Old 07-20-15, 01:11 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by bcrider1
Hello all. I just picked up a 1987 Mondiale frame that came with a couple of random Campy C-Record X-4 Panto parts.
Serial Number: I.6 / 22850 ...metallic paint...I think that checks out.

...here's the part I don't understand. There is a "T" stamped on the BB right before the "I.6". "T" is also stamped on the steerer tube.
What's up with the "T"?
Hello bcrider1 welcome to the forums. Do you have any pics?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-20-15, 02:09 PM
bcrider1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, Bianchigirll!

Here are a couple of photos. From the research I've done, I'm 99% sure this is a 1987 Mondiale...It has chrome plated Gipiemme dropouts which were standard and the chrome chainstay on the drive side only. Paint appears to be original Metallic Celeste....lighter teal with a small hint of sparkle I'm just not sure what the "T"s are for...team? Let me know if you need to see additional pics.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3773.jpg (50.2 KB, 601 views)
IMG_3776.JPG (81.1 KB, 349 views)
IMG_3777.jpg (39.9 KB, 344 views)
IMG_3783.jpg (43.5 KB, 344 views)
IMG_3784.JPG (94.7 KB, 342 views)
Old 07-20-15, 03:10 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

That is an '87 alright. Mine was a lot whiter than most. I have no idea what the Ts are for they almost look like some sort of marking to match frame and fork.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-03-15, 01:03 PM
RZALECTA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up what I think to be a 1987 Bianchi. It has the Campione De Mondo sticker on the downtube as well as a bicycle registration sticker for the city of Honolulu that expires in December 1987. I picked it up because it's a 63-64cm size and they are hard to find in my area. After riding it awhile the top tube seems a bit too short for me so I'm trying to find something else. After further examination I'm starting to think this might not be a Bianchi. I have never seen a welded on kick stand bracket for any Bianchi and only a few with the derailer cable mounted welded on top of the chain stay, most I've seen are in the bottom. My other Bianchi has a chain hanger and the little nipple on the head tube for a strap. This seems to have neither, also the serial seems odd and none of the Bianchi catalogs I've seen online have anything that closely resembles this bike. The bike was maybe brought to Hawaii or purchased new there, not sure but I know there's a history considering I just bought it in Florida of craigslist.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bianchi? - Album on Imgur

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='https://imgur.com/a/hZnmE/embed'></iframe>
Old 08-03-15, 01:06 PM
Ross73

Bikes: 1965 Flying Scot, Look 566, Bianchi??, 1983 Mongoose Californian,70's Peugeot Single speed thing, Raleigh flyer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, My first post on the forum is a question, sorry about that but this is driving me crazy lol.
Im hoping somebody can help Identify this. I picked it up as a 90% complete bike (I've put the bars and saddle on it to make it rideable) with a light resto and Eroica Britannia 2016 in mind. But this is my first foray into wonderful world of Bianchi and TBH I have little to no idea what I have! It was advertised as a '70's bike' but after a few days going through this thread and others Im thinking its more low end early to mid 80's Bianchi?

Frame number is 701848 stamped on the head tube and other than Bianchi stamped on the rear drop outs I cant find any other markings. It has Ofmega headset and cranks, Simplex mechs/shifters with drilled Weinmann levers and calipers.

I like it, It rides lovely I would just like to know a little more about it. Thank you and sorry about the first post

Attached Images
DSC_8539.jpg (96.1 KB, 348 views)
DSC_8532.jpg (100.7 KB, 350 views)
DSC_8546.jpg (80.6 KB, 347 views)
Old 08-04-15, 02:02 PM
Baston80053

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just picked up Bianchi road bike. Im no bike guru by any means, but free is the best!!! Im looking for help Identifying it. It has Shimano 600 components and Shimano 105 hubs. Its light greenish/blue in color, with a 24 inch frame c-t-t. It has a serial number stamped. A589P 59

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

https://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Br...ibrary/Bianchi

Last edited by Baston80053; 08-08-15 at 05:41 PM. Reason: pictures
Old 08-08-15, 06:26 AM
SwampMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ross,

I am in exactly the same position as you with exactly the same frame, albeit with an earlier frame number and not in as good condition yet.
I've searched through hundreds of pictures and threads trying to match up that notching in the headlugs and yours is the first i have found in nearly a month.
Mine has been bastardised with many replacement parts over the years before i got it and i'm not sure if anything is correct at all.
Yours is nearer to how i want mine to finish up than how it is now.
When i got it it had steel handlebars, steel wheels and steel seatpost and i'm not sure if that is how it was originally or if someone has just fitted what they had laying around,
I've swapped out a few bits with their lighter aluminium counterparts to get some idea of how its going to ride when its done and i really do like the way it rides.

To be honest i think the key to k=finding out what model we have is that lugwork

Originally Posted by Ross73
Hi, My first post on the forum is a question, sorry about that but this is driving me crazy lol.
Im hoping somebody can help Identify this. I picked it up as a 90% complete bike (I've put the bars and saddle on it to make it rideable) with a light resto and Eroica Britannia 2016 in mind. But this is my first foray into wonderful world of Bianchi and TBH I have little to no idea what I have! It was advertised as a '70's bike' but after a few days going through this thread and others Im thinking its more low end early to mid 80's Bianchi?

Frame number is 701848 stamped on the head tube and other than Bianchi stamped on the rear drop outs I cant find any other markings. It has Ofmega headset and cranks, Simplex mechs/shifters with drilled [COLOR=#141823]Weinmann levers and calipers.

I like it, It rides lovely I would just like to know a little more about it. Thank you and sorry about the first post

Old 08-08-15, 07:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by Baston80053
I just picked up Bianchi road bike. Im no bike guru by any means, but free is the best!!! Im looking for help Identifying it. It has Shimano 600 components and Shimano 105 rims. Its light greenish/blue in color, with a 24 inch frame c-t-t. It has a serial number stamped. A589P 59
Pics can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1020262...19/BianchiBike
Your page can't be found. I have never heard of 105 rims who makes them?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-08-15, 08:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Frame number is 701848 stamped on the head tube and other than Bianchi stamped on the rear drop outs I cant find any other markings. It has Ofmega headset and cranks, Simplex mechs/shifters with drilled Weinmann levers and calipers.

I don't think your decals match the year of the bike. can you post some more information and pics? What are some of the components? an you post some closeups of the dropouts, seatlug and bottom bracket (BB) area? Any idea of the BB threading?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-08-15, 08:06 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by RZALECTA
I just picked up what I think to be a 1987 Bianchi. It has the Campione De Mondo sticker on the downtube as well as a bicycle registration sticker for the city of Honolulu that expires in December 1987. I picked it up because it's a 63-64cm size and they are hard to find in my area. After riding it awhile the top tube seems a bit too short for me so I'm trying to find something else. After further examination I'm starting to think this might not be a Bianchi. I have never seen a welded on kick stand bracket for any Bianchi and only a few with the derailer cable mounted welded on top of the chain stay, most I've seen are in the bottom. My other Bianchi has a chain hanger and the little nipple on the head tube for a strap. This seems to have neither, also the serial seems odd and none of the Bianchi catalogs I've seen online have anything that closely resembles this bike. The bike was maybe brought to Hawaii or purchased new there, not sure but I know there's a history considering I just bought it in Florida of craigslist.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Bianchi? - Album on Imgur

<iframe class='imgur-album' width='100%' height='550' frameborder='0' src='https://imgur.com/a/hZnmE/embed'></iframe>
It is a '87 Strada LX and while a kickstand plate is unusual on a Bianchi this is a very lowend model so it as well as the over the Bb cable routing make sense. Why would someone go to all the trouble to put fake engravings on a frame and put lowend shipmano and no name components on it rather than Campagnolo?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-08-15, 01:59 PM
RZALECTA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking it was a low end model Bianchigirl. I also agree with you as to the reason you give of why would someone fake one without going full campy etc..

But I don't think it's a Strada LX. I've check 3 catalogs from 87-88 and none show the upper shifter cable holder on the chain stay, all are on the bottom. As well as the lack of kickstand plate. And they have unicrown forks without the Bianchi engraving. If you have a link to a pic of one like mine I would be greatly appreciative.
Old 08-08-15, 03:23 PM
noobikedood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bianchi vespa piaggo ID help

hi all, see this has been going strong, can anyone help me figure out what year the Piaggio-Vespa-Biancho Astrale is? I picked up a frame and am trying to get the parts all in. also wondering what kind of headset I could use on it.

Serial No on BB is 1(C or 0?)311499

some measurements- BB ID 34mm

headtube ID 27mm
BB shell width 70 mm

japanese or italian you think?

Thanks

Last edited by noobikedood; 08-08-15 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-08-15, 04:44 PM
Baston80053

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bumping. Fixed pictures hopefully...
Old 08-08-15, 04:46 PM
Baston80053

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Updated link. Should work now...
Old 08-09-15, 07:11 AM
Ross73

Bikes: 1965 Flying Scot, Look 566, Bianchi??, 1983 Mongoose Californian,70's Peugeot Single speed thing, Raleigh flyer.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I don't think your decals match the year of the bike. can you post some more information and pics? What are some of the components? an you post some closeups of the dropouts, seatlug and bottom bracket (BB) area? Any idea of the BB threading?
Hi Bianchigirl,
I have my suspicions on the decals as well! after a very close inspection this morning I think its been painted (badly) and re-decaled. Component wise it came to me with Ofmega headset, Ofmega chainset 53-42, Simplex mechs and shifters (band on) I have put the bars and saddle on it out of my spares bin. weinmann brakes, unsure on the block but its 6 speed and pretty much scrap!

Seat lug has '72' stamped on it (couldn't see it at first. perhaps I need new glasses lol) and is 26.46mm, the dropouts have Bianchi stamped on them. Ive dropped the BB out and its Italian threaded!

Attached Images
IMG_3217_2.jpg (81.7 KB, 339 views)
IMG_3215_2.jpg (82.1 KB, 338 views)
IMG_3218.jpg (88.8 KB, 339 views)
IMG_3219.jpg (85.7 KB, 337 views)

Last edited by Ross73; 08-09-15 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-09-15, 07:21 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by RZALECTA
I was thinking it was a low end model Bianchigirl. I also agree with you as to the reason you give of why would someone fake one without going full campy etc..

But I don't think it's a Strada LX. I've check 3 catalogs from 87-88 and none show the upper shifter cable holder on the chain stay, all are on the bottom. As well as the lack of kickstand plate. And they have unicrown forks without the Bianchi engraving. If you have a link to a pic of one like mine I would be greatly appreciative.
You can actually tell whether a pic of a bike in a catalog has a kickstand plate? This must be a forgery then.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-09-15, 07:24 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Hi Bianchigirl,
I have my suspicions on the decals as well! after a very close inspection this morning I think its been painted (badly) and re-decaled. Component wise it came to me with Ofmega headset, Ofmega chainset 53-42, Simplex mechs and shifters (band on) I have put the bars and saddle on it out of my spares bin. weinmann brakes, unsure on the block but its 6 speed and pretty much scrap!

Seat lug has '72' stamped on it (couldn't see it at first. perhaps I need new glasses lol) and is 26.46mm, the dropouts have Bianchi stamped on them. Ive dropped the BB out and its Italian threaded!

What country is this in? I am not sold on the repaint but I do think it is a midlevel early '80s bike that someone put a decal on that was more common in the mid '80s.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-09-15, 07:39 AM
Ross73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
What country is this in? I am not sold on the repaint but I do think it is a midlevel early '80s bike that someone put a decal on that was more common in the mid '80s.
Im in the UK. The guy I bought it from knew nothing about it and was going to make a fixie from it, so I kinda rescued it lol.
Old 08-09-15, 12:39 PM
SwampMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are a couple more pics of the model both Ross and I share

Old 08-09-15, 01:09 PM
Ross73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwampMonkey
Here are a couple more pics of the model both Ross and I share
Yep by the looks of it we have pretty identical frames! What are your plans with yours? Im thinking of having mine resprayed nicely and upgrading to Campag components Ive pretty much got a period groupo Ive been itching to put on something lol, Im just short on wheels.
Old 08-09-15, 01:26 PM
SwampMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just took the bull by the horns and scraped off the paint (it's getting painted anyhow) and there seems to be another mark after the two, stamped into the frame.
To me, it appears to be 72 degees. A 72 degree frame it seems

Another clue Scooby Doo!

Old 08-09-15, 01:31 PM
SwampMonkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep by the looks of it we have pretty identical frames! What are your plans with yours? Im thinking of having mine resprayed nicely and upgrading to Campag components Ive pretty much got a period groupo Ive been itching to put on something lol, Im just short on wheels.
lol, we have the same taste then too...as i was planning on the same, Campag bits from roughly the same era (apart from nice, engraved Bianchi handlebars and a nice enamel paint job ( or maybe the nearest colour possible in a candy, pearlescent powder coat)
First though, is to get it media blasted and a replacement brake guide ring brazed on.

I do have to say that yours, actually, looks a fair bit nicer than mine conditionwise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.