Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help needed on a wheel build.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Help needed on a wheel build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-24, 01:53 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Thank you for clearly, though possibly unintentionally, showing the issue with ERD data.

In your linked post are images showing ERD for a single wall and 2 double wall rims. They're inconsistent because the first has ERD to the nipple seat, and the other two to the nipple top.

Both are "correct" depending on how you define ERD, but I suggest you settle on one and synchronize the graphics accordingly.
And neither (referring to the picture 1 and picture 3) is 100% correct if you pay attention to where the ERD is marked on either.
The consistent procedure is explained in the text, while those images are intended to be as clear (and simple) as possible to folks who have no idea what ERD is.
Iteration.

Relja
Old 04-02-24, 03:49 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5892 Post(s)
Liked 2,755 Times in 1,538 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Gremlin
And neither (referring to the picture 1 and picture 3) is 100% correct if you pay attention to where the ERD is marked on either.
The consistent procedure is explained in the text, while those images are intended to be as clear (and simple) as possible to folks who have no idea what ERD is.

Relja
No problem, and I wasn't seeking explanation or justification.

My point was simply that there are two versions of ERD, a rim dimensional spec. and an input for spoke calculators.

Knowing that, and double checking helps prevent the all too common 4mm error the OP made.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-03-24, 07:31 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
Way too long for a 2x unfortunately. Not to worry. I'll learn from the mistake and it'll give me more practice.
Twist them together until they're the right length. Yes I have done this, no I wasn't proud of the result but it did work: how long they would have lasted I don't know, because the skinny 26" tyres I built the wheels for rode badly so I slung them in the corner and forgot about them.
Old 04-03-24, 07:52 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikerepairing
But I have a question: what on earth made you decide to build your own wheels? I can only think of the fact that you like the process and want to do all this work just for the experience?
When wheels are such an important part of bikes, why would you not want to acquire the skill to make and fix them? So when for example you get a wheel with a bad hub, you can swap it out for the cost of nothing but your time, rather than buying a new wheel. Or when you want a certain rim with a particular hub you can just buy the bits and build a new pair of wheels to your exact requirements.
Old 04-03-24, 12:19 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 347 Posts
It's worth calculating the lengths of the spokes for the rear wheel (using a measured ERD) to see if the 'too short' front spokes are long enough for the drive side.
May not be, as the difference is only about 1 or 2 mm on the wheels I've built, it depends on the dish and what hubs you're using.
Otherwise keep them for another day.

Building wheels is time well spent, lots of exciting vintage hubs and rims out there on Ebay.
Old 04-03-24, 03:12 PM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
It's worth calculating the lengths of the spokes for the rear wheel (using a measured ERD) to see if the 'too short' front spokes are long enough for the drive side.
May not be, as the difference is only about 1 or 2 mm on the wheels I've built, it depends on the dish and what hubs you're using.
Otherwise keep them for another day.

Building wheels is time well spent, lots of exciting vintage hubs and rims out there on Ebay.
One step ahead of you. Already confirmed that I can in fact us the spokes for my drive side.
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 04-03-24, 03:51 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Joe
One step ahead of you. Already confirmed that I can in fact us the spokes for my drive side.
Well, that's good to hear.

You want the rear DS set of spokes to be very close to the perfect length. The calculated end should be between the 'slot' and top of the head, or a little beyond after it 'stretches'. With modern hubs, the dishing is quite severe and the DS spokes will be very high tension. This is needed to still have the NDS tension at a reasonable level.