Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Interested in a Spring vintage bike swap in Chicagoland?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Interested in a Spring vintage bike swap in Chicagoland?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 01:43 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
In for a ride up the NS if it's sunny and over 60....
Old 03-24-19, 03:39 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
OK, I have a venue, my backyard and garage. And a date, April 13, a week later than originally planned to improve the weather odds slightly. Let's figure 9:00-ish to whenever. I gave up trying to get people to respond or to park district venues which had more restrictions than I could deal with in a short time frame. The best forecast I can find is for temps in April to be about normal or perhaps a bit higher than normal, and for precipitation chances to be about normal. So figure on temps in the 50s and some chance of April showers (bringing May flowers, of course). I can probably find a space heater to take the chill off the garage. With the winter we are just emerging from, 50s and sprinkles sounds pretty awesome to me.

I have a couple tables and several bike stands. I don't know if I can scrounge up any sort of free-standing canopy/tent by the 13th, but will try. If you can bring anything which might be useful, let me know. I will provide coffee and some donut-shaped objects to help folks wake up. I'll make sure the propane tank on the grill is full as well​ if people want to burn something for lunch​. There are plenty of places nearby to order from as well. Though it's modest in size and equipment, my little basement lair will be available for people wanting to turn ​a ​wrench. And should, mirabile dictu, the weather be totally awesome, an afternoon ride isn't entirely out of the question.

You need to RSVP (email or PM is fine) so I get an idea if I'm going to hang out with three peeps or thirty. I'll respond (off-list) with my address (near downtown Evanston, IL).
sounds like fun, keep us updated on this. rsvp soon.
Old 03-24-19, 03:55 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I'm 99% certain of attending. If it's ok, I'd like to post pictures of what I'll bring to sell.
Old 03-24-19, 04:01 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 762 Posts
I think that's an excellent idea, Michael. Folks might want to post stuff they are looking for as well.
Old 03-30-19, 05:00 PM
smontanaro 

T-2 weeks and counting...

Aside from whatever else I might drag out of the basement, I will have at least these two:
Old 04-06-19, 07:18 AM
smontanaro 

Bump for T-1 week. Current forecast calls for a high of 49 with little chance of rain. Reminder that if you think you might come, let me know. If you decide late in the week to come, you can give me a ring at 847-971-7098.
Old 04-09-19, 08:57 PM
smontanaro 

A couple "wants" in case you're coming Saturday:
  • My ItalVega has some Gus Salmon water slide downtube decals awaiting installation. I wrecked the first set, so would like some help with the second set.
  • This bit is from the "Small World" folder. I started a welding class this evening at the high school. In the introductions I mentioned wanting to learn to braze so I could make a bike frame. Walking out, one of the other peeps says, "I was a bike mechanic for a long time. I worked for Ron Boi at RRB for a few years." Interesting, as I have an RRB. Anyway, the guy lives basically over my back fence and might come Saturday. He's looking for Campy bits for an RRB frame he has. Should you be debating bringing any NR/SR bits from the 70s/80s.
Old 04-11-19, 08:59 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Looking like rain in Kentucky, so I may head towards Evanston Friday night, get a room closer in, come up.
I don't ride in the rain too often, but I'll sell stuff in the cold any day. I go to swaps to get rid of stuff, not make dough.

I'll bring:
1965? Schwinn Speedster, larger than me, probably a 23" or 24" frame, chrome fenders, 3sp,
1992? Early Specialized Epic Carbon, 52cm, 2x7 105 (1055).
Weinmann 610's, Dura Ace 1st gen brakeset (levers w/good hoods, calipers)
Suntour 4700 calipers, Modolo levers/hoods, some headsets, hubs.
Plenty of stuff I bought to build things and then fine-tuned out of the mix.
My prices are low. I want to cover the hotel room....maybe bring some pre-boiled brats.

I'm definitely hitting up Portillo's for stuff to take back to Indiana.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-11-19 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 11:36 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

I'll be attending and bringing a wide range of Campagnolo Record, Super Record and Dura Ace from the 70's and 80's. I'll also bring some more ordinary and modern parts I've accumulated. I will bring a 1972 Schwinn Paramount. It's my "riding" Paramount and It's fully restored and ready for a century.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 04-12-19 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 11:37 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Is anyone up for a 30 mile ride tomorrow?
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 04-12-19, 01:33 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Hi, all!

I'm driving out from Ann Arbor, with goodies and hoping to see others.

bikes: 1980 Masi (FS), Mondonico (show n tell, but let's talk if interested.
Frames: Super course, Rudge
tubular rims: Wolber Aspin, wierd Ambrosios
Several Campy Record cranksets, 10 speed
a Sugino AT triple
Some saddles
Pile of tubulars, various states of health.
Handlebars
bags

I'll probably stay in a hotel near Old Orchard, and drive home Sunday morning. If anyone wants to recreate Saturday night, I would be very interested.
Old 04-12-19, 01:36 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I might want a ride, but not 30 miles. Y'all might have to put up with me tuning the saddle on the fly.

I've also heard that Lee Katz has opened a Turin re-boot in Evanston, but not on Davis Street. I want to check it out, also any used HiFi that's around.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-12-19 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-12-19, 01:46 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Looking like rain in Kentucky, so I may head towards Evanston Friday night, get a room closer in, come up.
I don't ride in the rain too often, but I'll sell stuff in the cold any day. I go to swaps to get rid of stuff, not make dough.

I'll bring:
1965? Schwinn Speedster, larger than me, probably a 23" or 24" frame, chrome fenders, 3sp,
1992? Early Specialized Epic Carbon, 52cm, 2x7 105 (1055).
Weinmann 610's, Dura Ace 1st gen brakeset (levers w/good hoods, calipers)
Suntour 4700 calipers, Modolo levers/hoods, some headsets, hubs.
Plenty of stuff I bought to build things and then fine-tuned out of the mix.
My prices are low. I want to cover the hotel room....maybe bring some pre-boiled brats.

I'm definitely hitting up Portillo's for stuff to take back to Indiana.
Ever been to Superdawg? I have to visit them every time I visit Chicago - if not I will introduce you! Also Kaufman's and Lou Malnatti's Bringing home corned beef and pizza are my honey-do's
Old 04-12-19, 03:22 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Dang and sorry to say will not make it. The 20 yr old faithful krautwagon with gunsight on the hood is gasping its last breath and so we're shopping tomorrow for a replacement. If it wasn't so urgent I would've been there, regardless. Cheers~
Old 04-12-19, 03:31 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I like riding more when the temp is above 50. It looks like that's what we'll have tomorrow PM. I've done 3 rides so far this year; the longest was 12 miles. I'd be happy to ride along for half of a 30 mile ride. Of course, when words were being invented, I was observed on my bike. The committee decided 'slow' was the right word to describe my progress.

I'll bring a pair of Avocet hubs, a Silca floor pump, an almost new B17 Imperial, and some odds and ends.
Old 04-12-19, 04:17 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've also heard that Lee Katz has opened a Turin re-boot in Evanston, but not on Davis Street. I want to check it out, also any used HiFi that's around.
Can't help with Hi-Fi, but Turin has been reconstituted in the Ravenswood neighborhood:

Turin Bicycle Chicago
4710 N Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
They are open 10-6 tomorrow.
Old 04-12-19, 05:08 PM
76SLT 

Bikes: Some Schwinns, Raleighs, Centurions, Crescent, Bianchi

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I might want a ride, but not 30 miles. Y'all might have to put up with me tuning the saddle on the fly.

What kind of hi-fi things are you looking for?
Old 04-12-19, 06:00 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

4 hours out.
Staying n Northbrook
Old 04-12-19, 06:02 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Quite possible
Old 04-13-19, 07:17 AM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
please post pictures to see what we missed. maybe make it next year or...
Old 04-13-19, 08:27 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Swap meet you say? Trunk load of spare parts in the T'rusty' 4matic... going away today... after 20 yrs. :"(

Will be a challenge to utilize the trunk space on the Gazelle 2matic ;"/

Have fun all-

Old 04-13-19, 08:48 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Really wish I could be there - it’s right near my apartment - but I’m out of town this weekend. +1 on posting pics afterward!
Old 04-13-19, 04:39 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Let's just say it was a really nice venue, nice people, and market activity was flat.
Worth the drive just to see and meet folks, put faces with names.
Much thanks to @smontanaro for his hospitality and providing the venue.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-13-19 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 05:10 PM
smontanaro 

If we're lucky, @iab or one of the other photo happy types took some pictures, but I'm sorry to say that I didn't. Apologies for the oversight. @samkl some stuff was left behind, so I've got more bits for The Recyclery. I met a couple other BF members for the first time @Road Fan and @76SLT and George from Skokie - not a BF peep) and reconnected with several other people @iab, @RobbieTunes, @Barrettcsv, @63rickert, @Chicago Al, and Dan Michael - who's BF handle I can never remember - we always communicate by email). Apologies if I missed anyone.

We had a nice crowd, though attendance was a bit seller heavy, to put it mildly. I think I might have bought more stuff than anybody else, including a Zeus/Mavic tubular wheel set from George, most of a Dura-Ace 7400 group from @Barrettcsv (I just happened to mention that I was kinda looking for some 7400 stuff, and Michael whips out a crank, then a bottom bracket, brake calipers, 7sp downtube shifters and front/rear derailleurs - how could I say no?), and (I'm not entirely sure what transpired) I showed some NOS Araya tubular rims to @RobbieTunes thinking he might want them, but somehow wound up with his helium-filled Hi-E hubs (and retained my Arayas), though no cash changed hands. Ken left a bunch of tubular tires which I will pick over for spares. He also threw down a gauntlet. One of the tires is new, but he claims he was never able to mount it on a rim. I think we just need to stretch it a bit...
@63rickert got the prize for riding the most bikes to the event. He arrived multiple times (three, I think), each time showing up on a different bike. Fortunately, he only lives a few blocks from me, so didn't need to exert himself too much. Not much elevation gain between our places. I'm not sure if @Road Fan or @RobbieTunes gets the prize for the longest distance. Robbie lives a bit farther than Ken, but Ken drove in this morning while Robbie stayed overnight in the Chicago area last night. Both traveled over 250 miles.

The most unusual transaction (I think) involved a bike I had (an old Schwinn Breeze) and a Specialized Epic Allez (which Robbie brought intending to sell). I had listed the Breeze on CL for $50 and got a nibble a couple days ago from someone named Maureen. I said, "I warn you, it's a beater." I told her about our little shindig and said there would be plenty of experts here to offer their opinions on the bike. Maureen shows up with her mom, Trish, in tow. I explain again about the rusty steel rims, no wet braking, weighs a ton, yadda, yadda, yadda, but Maureen is not to be deterred, so I get a wrench to adjust the saddle. That done, Maureen takes off around the block. Meanwhile, her mom has wandered into the garage and is eyeing the NFS bikes I have hanging there, particularly the Motobecane mixte we occasionally loan out to some AirBnB guests from the UK. "Sorry, Trish, none of those are for sale without Ellen's approval," (who wasn't around). So then she casts an eye on the bikes on display in the backyard and spies Robbie's pretty blue Specialized. It is the only bike which could even remotely be considered her size. Trish is like, "If Maureen's buying a bike, I should get one, too." Okay... I think I can sort of wrap my brain around that logic. (OTOH, we needed more buyers like Trish.) Robbie's like, "I am *not* taking this bike home. Let's make a deal." They chat about the Epic. Meanwhile Maureen returns, and I show her my Schwinn Speedster with the 650A rims and plush Col de la Vie tires. I opine that Wilmette Bike Shop (they live in Wilmette) can probably do a similar swap for her. We return to where Robbie and Trish are talking. Robbie has sold her his Specialized for something like $40 (!!!), so I can't be a jerk and sell my Breeze to Maureen for $50, and let it go for $25. Maybe the Hi-E hubs were compensation for the price drop on the Schwinn.

Oh, and @RobbieTunes, am I now obligated to buy a bike to match that pink and white jersey you left hanging in the garage???

At any rate, a good time was had by all (at least they were good sports if they weren't). Coffee was consumed, and donuts and pizza were added to our waistlines. We should do this again, maybe throw in a ride next time...

Last edited by smontanaro; 04-13-19 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-19, 07:58 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Oh, and @RobbieTunes, am I now obligated to buy a bike to match that pink and white jersey you left hanging in the garage???
May I suggest a Miami Vice Ironman?

Oh, and wait until you find the stuff we hid.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.