Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-15, 09:07 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
They might not know the severity of their injury, TBI is funny that way.

But no matter, if a doctor tells them that the hemet mitigated their injury, you'll complain that the doctor is not an engineer. And if the doctor is also an engineer, you'll demand that they repeat the crash without a helmet. And in the unlikely case where they unethically repeat the crash, you'll complain that there is too much uncertainly in the original conditions.

Bottom line: One never knows, do one?

Observation - while you never fail to pipe in with your vacuous statements whenever someone says a helmet helped me, you are usually mute when someone says helmets are worthless.

-mr. bill
TBI ain't funny...

A doctor certainly might not know either. Or they might. And no, I wouldn't go so far as you describe. Never have, don't, never will.

No, one never knows. But those coming on here saying a helmet saved their life sure seem to...

Your observation isn't very observant. If you go back, you'll find that I never say helmets are worthless and often chime in when absolutists claim such, that they very well may provide some protection in nearly any kind of crash which includes impact with a helmet. The lesser the potential injury, the more a helmet may provide injury mitigation, but even at severe levels of injury, helmets are shown to provide protection and injury mitigation in some situations. To paraphrase what I've repeated here often enough that an observant person might have noticed: if all a helmet does is provide some level of protection against minor injuries like laceration and abrasion, that's still reason enough for me to wear one.
Old 12-31-15, 05:43 AM
skye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wearing a bicycle helmet increases your risk of fracturing a bone in your neck. Don't wear helmets.

Ann Emerg Med. 2016 Jan;67(1):145-6. doi: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2015.09.012.
[h=1]The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture.[/h]van Dongen MJ[SUP]1[/SUP], Falger-Veeken SN[SUP]1[/SUP].
Old 12-31-15, 06:03 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by skye
Wearing a bicycle helmet increases your risk of fracturing a bone in your neck. Don't wear helmets.

[h=1]The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture.[/h]van Dongen MJ[SUP]1[/SUP], Falger-Veeken SN[SUP]1[/SUP].
I don't think that the article says what you think/hope it says.

Here's the article link:

https://www.annemergmed.com/article/S...300-1/abstract

Here's the abstract:

Hyoid bone fracture is rare, composing 0.002% of all fractures, because of the bone’s flexibility and surrounding structures (mandible and cervical spine). It is usually associated with fractures of the mandible or the thyroid and cricoid cartilages. Hyoid bone fracture is known to be caused by high-impact blunt trauma to the neck. To our knowledge, there is no previous report of a hyoid bone fracture in a bicycle accident because of the strap of a bicycle helmet.
Old 12-31-15, 09:56 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
When it's hot and humid I don't like wearing a helmet because the sweat gets in my eyes anf burns.

However i often wear a helmet. That's because #1 . it's where I mount my mirror, #2a . it's bright and makes me more visible and #2b . it distinguishes a b icyclist from a pedestrian; #3 . It offers some protection.

Out on the open road in summer when ity's really humid I forgo the helmet for comfort and safety because the sweat dripping into my eyes is a hazard.

After reading up on the standards and the tests helmets pass I was amazed at just how little protection those standards actually give. BUT, the one time I wiped out and my head slammed onto the pavement (hit hard enough to actually bounce) I was glad i had my helmet on. I had no scrapes or cuts on my head and was able to continue my ride.

Sometimes a helmet will lessen the severity of an injury and sometimes under certain conditions a helmet will worsen an injury. Read up on rotational head injuries.

Cheers
Old 12-31-15, 10:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
When it's hot and humid I don't like wearing a helmet because the sweat gets in my eyes anf burns.

However i often wear a helmet. That's because #1 . it's where I mount my mirror, #2a . it's bright and makes me more visible and #2b . it distinguishes a b icyclist from a pedestrian; #3 . It offers some protection.

Out on the open road in summer when ity's really humid I forgo the helmet for comfort and safety because the sweat dripping into my eyes is a hazard.

After reading up on the standards and the tests helmets pass I was amazed at just how little protection those standards actually give. BUT, the one time I wiped out and my head slammed onto the pavement (hit hard enough to actually bounce) I was glad i had my helmet on. I had no scrapes or cuts on my head and was able to continue my ride.

Sometimes a helmet will lessen the severity of an injury and sometimes under certain conditions a helmet will worsen an injury. Read up on rotational head injuries.

Cheers
Too much common sense and balanced thinking for this thread, you must have hit your head harder than you thought.

Have a Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-15, 10:21 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2490 Post(s)
Liked 2,961 Times in 1,682 Posts
When it's hot and humid I don't like wearing a helmet because the sweat gets in my eyes and burns.
I used to have the same problem, but I forced myself to get in the habit of drinking water more regularly on rides, which seems to have done the trick.
Old 12-31-15, 10:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Cheers
That reminds me I need to wash the pads out since I had to take it off for that reason the last time it rained hard. Thanks. This thread hasn't been that useful for some time.

# 1 on my list (because I switched mirrors to glasses for that reason) is that I hang my mp3 player and earbuds on it. It's important to protect our hearing you know, so I consider them to be safety features what with high decibel traffic noises. But I just got some new fangled BT headphones (sorry for OT) which will make it slightly less likely for me to wear a helmet now.
Old 12-31-15, 12:04 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I used to have the same problem, but I forced myself to get in the habit of drinking water more regularly on rides, which seems to have done the trick.
Some of us just have really salty sweat, including me. I wear a variety of hats on the bike depending on the weather and ride and they all do a far better job of keeping sweat out of my eyes then any helmet ever has. They also put a thin extra layer between my head and the pavement thus offering head protection of roughly the same magnitude of an actual helmet based on manufacturer claims
Old 12-31-15, 07:31 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
I don't think that the article says what you think/hope it says.

Here's the article link:

https://www.annemergmed.com/article/S...300-1/abstract

Here's the abstract:

Hyoid bone fracture is rare, composing 0.002% of all fractures, because of the bone’s flexibility and surrounding structures (mandible and cervical spine). It is usually associated with fractures of the mandible or the thyroid and cricoid cartilages. Hyoid bone fracture is known to be caused by high-impact blunt trauma to the neck. To our knowledge, there is no previous report of a hyoid bone fracture in a bicycle accident because of the strap of a bicycle helmet.
How dare you check on the truthiness of that post!

FWIW, here is the full letter.

It absolutely does not say what was "reported" here.

-mr. bill
Old 01-02-16, 05:35 PM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How dare you check on the truthiness of that post!

It absolutely does not say what was "reported" here.

-mr. bill
Actually, it does. A single reported event, in an injury so rare, indicates that the mechanism of injury is important, and worthy of further investigation.

Also, read the full text.
Old 01-04-16, 05:55 PM
mr_bill

Actually, it does. A single reported event, in an injury so rare, indicates that the mechanism of injury is important, and worthy of further investigation.

That is moose drool and you know that it is too. The letter absolutely does *not* say what you say it says, and it doesn't support your non-sequitor "recommendation."

You got caught - again.

Also, I read the full text.

-mr. bill
Old 01-04-16, 09:17 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts

The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture.

van Dongen MJ[SUP]1[/SUP], Falger-Veeken SN[SUP]1[/SUP].
You should be embarrassed.

You are bull****ting.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-04-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 04:42 AM
Gothic Sunshine

Bikes: 1987 Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
Massive difference between bike helmets and seat belts, both in functionality and regarding how proven the concept is in use. I don't know enough about motorcycle helmets to comment but I imagine they are somewhere in between bike helmets and seat belts, but very likely skewed heavily towards the former.
Originally Posted by mconlonx
I have no qualms about riding my bicycle without a helmet... even though I usually wear one... but I would not go out on a motorcycle without one...
I'm not really an expert in motorcycle helmets, but I sure do use them. I usually don't wear a helmet on a bicycle because I'm a lower speed urban rider (though I do wear a helmet when I go mountain biking or riding at particularly high speeds). I see bicycle helmets as something useful for specific types of ride that are more hazardous, but unnecessary for a basic low speed ride. The individual cyclist should decide if and when they are needed. Motorcycles are a totally different beast. If you want to risk your own head, you go on ahead and ride without one, but I do not want to skid across the street at 30 MPH without a helmet after wiping out. Even moreso if it happens on the freeway (If I'm planning on using 101 or 280, I'll even put body armor on. Flying off a bike at 70 MPH? I want that extra little chance of not dying or being crippled.). It's a whole other world of danger from riding my bicycle around at running speeds.

Last edited by Gothic Sunshine; 01-05-16 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 05:54 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Hmm, new to the forum, but this reminds me soooo much of helmet threads in a vintage MC forum I help moderate. All I can contribute to the discussion is that I paid attention (most of the time) in my high school physics classes. ;o)
Old 01-05-16, 06:02 AM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
You should be embarrassed.

You are bull****ting.

I know it's hard for you to read that much, but give it a try! Sometimes moving your lips helps.
Old 01-05-16, 07:09 AM
njkayaker

I know it's hard for you to read that much, but give it a try! Sometimes moving your lips helps.

Where you are bull****ting people is your "conclusion" from those words. A letter about a single case is not a sufficient basis for such a conclusion.

Your conclusion is either dishonest or incompetent.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-05-16 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 08:08 AM
mr_bill

"Increases your risk" is rubbish too. But he knows that.

-mr. bill
Old 01-05-16, 09:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Gothic Sunshine
I'm not really an expert in motorcycle helmets, but I sure do use them. I usually don't wear a helmet on a bicycle because I'm a lower speed urban rider (though I do wear a helmet when I go mountain biking or riding at particularly high speeds). I see bicycle helmets as something useful for specific types of ride that are more hazardous, but unnecessary for a basic low speed ride. The individual cyclist should decide if and when they are needed. Motorcycles are a totally different beast. If you want to risk your own head, you go on ahead and ride without one, but I do not want to skid across the street at 30 MPH without a helmet after wiping out. Even moreso if it happens on the freeway (If I'm planning on using 101 or 280, I'll even put body armor on. Flying off a bike at 70 MPH? I want that extra little chance of not dying or being crippled.). It's a whole other world of danger from riding my bicycle around at running speeds.
Good Golly! Two sensible and rational posts about personal decision to wear bicycle helmets in the past month on this thread. That must be some sort of record.
Old 01-05-16, 10:02 AM
njkayaker

"Increases your risk" is rubbish too. But he knows that.

-mr. bill
It could be "increasing the risk" but that doesn't mean it doesn't decrease the risk of things that are more important.

It's an incomplete argument. In the same way that the still-hypothetical "rotational injury" argument is.

A letter about one specific injury can't address whether something "increases the risk" anyway. (Note that a "letter" is a a "low bar" way of publishing things. Not that that is necessarily a problem but it's important to how the information is used.)

If he pulled this crap where he works, he'd be laughed at!

That's part of why what he is doing is bull****ting.

His statements that people don't understand the letter is bull****ting too.
Old 01-07-16, 11:46 AM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I see that nobody has yet read the full text the article I posted. Neat trick, claiming that I MSU when you haven't even read what I've posted. But it's what I've come to expect from this crowd.

While we're at it, here's an oldie but goodie. I'm sure it's been posted before, but given the evidenced mental capacity around here, you have probably all forgotten about it.

Feds will stop hyping effectiveness of bike helmets - Greater Greater Washington
Old 01-07-16, 12:06 PM
mr_bill

I see that nobody has yet read the full text the article I posted. Neat trick, claiming that I MSU when you haven't even read what I've posted....

That is moose drool and you know that it is too. The letter absolutely does *not* say what you say it says, and it doesn't support your non-sequitor "recommendation."

You got caught - again.

Also, I read the full text.

-mr. bill
-mr. bill
Old 01-07-16, 01:02 PM
wphamilton

I see that nobody has yet read the full text the article I posted. Neat trick, claiming that I MSU when you haven't even read what I've posted. But it's what I've come to expect from this crowd.

While we're at it, here's an oldie but goodie. I'm sure it's been posted before, but given the evidenced mental capacity around here, you have probably all forgotten about it.

Feds will stop hyping effectiveness of bike helmets - Greater Greater Washington
That "reduce the risk of a head injury by 85%" does still come up now and again.

About the article, do you mean the "The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture" letter? I thought maybe you'd accidentally pasted the wrong link since there's no greater risk of neck injury there. If anything, the opposite since the writer claims to have the only example in medical literature, that the injury is extremely unlikely from any cause, and the only indication of the helmet at fault in this freak injury is a "strap shaped" bruise at the back of the neck. If that's the case, show the link which you intended and I'm sure some people will read it.
Old 01-07-16, 01:56 PM
mr_bill

Originally Posted by wphamilton
That "reduce the risk of a head injury by 85%" does still come up now and again.

About the article, do you mean the "The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture" letter? I thought maybe you'd accidentally pasted the wrong link since there's no greater risk of neck injury there. If anything, the opposite since the writer claims to have the only example in medical literature, that the injury is extremely unlikely from any cause, and the only indication of the helmet at fault in this freak injury is a "strap shaped" bruise at the back of the neck. If that's the case, show the link which you intended and I'm sure some people will read it.
Front of the neck. "...an ecchymosis became visible in the anterior part of the neck in the shape of the strap of the bicycle helmet".

-mr. bill
Old 01-07-16, 02:10 PM
wphamilton

Front of the neck. "...an ecchymosis became visible in the anterior part of the neck in the shape of the strap of the bicycle helmet".

-mr. bill
That would be less weird than the back of the neck, but still a strange place for a helmet strap. He'd almost need to have loose straps and the helmet pulling from the back of his head.

Regardless it is a very unusual bone to break (.002 of them according to that letter) and an improbable way to injure it. You can't blame the helmet for increasing risk on that basis. Considering how he keeps saying nobody read his article, I really think he may have posted the wrong article.
Old 01-07-16, 06:32 PM
njkayaker

He is misusing or misunderstanding that link too.

If you consider the entire body of research rather than just one study, and look at both head and neck injuries, helmets only reduce the risk of injury by about 15% to 45%
Considering how he keeps saying nobody read his article, I really think he may have posted the wrong article.
Unlikely.

People posted quotes from the letter, which he either didn't read or didn't understand (somewhat ironic given his other comments). He had ample opportunity to link to the right article.

He "summarized" the article fairly specifically. And, it would be unlikely that there would be another current thing about "a neck bone" being fractured by helmets.

The simplest explanation is that he's just bull****ting people.

The Risk of a Bicycle Helmet: Hyoid Bone Fracture.

van Dongen MJ[SUP]1[/SUP], Falger-Veeken SN[SUP]1[/SUP].

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-07-16 at 06:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.