Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Super Sport resto-mod 3-speed

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Schwinn Super Sport resto-mod 3-speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 10:07 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
Really?

Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
On Post (#9) of 09-09-20 , 08:54 AM, Doug Fattic wrote, "IN THE 10 SPEED GROUP IN THE 60's and 70's, THE SUPER SPORTS WERE THE NEXT STEP DOWN FROM THE TOP OF THE LINE PARAMOUNTS."

---------------------THIS IS FACTUALLY INCORRECT as by 1971 the SPORTS TOURER was next in line to the PARAMOUNT.---------------------------------------
As the Sports Tourer sported the same frame as the Super Sport, (except for the BB and forks), in spirit the original SSS was still second in line, and in fact the fillet brazed Schwinn was yet runner up to the Paramount.

You wrote

"Doug Fattic is not correct when he says that the SUPER SPORT was next under the PARAMOUNT!!
The Super Sport was the most "low-rent" of the hand constructed Schwinns. THE SPORTS TOURER WAS NEXT UNDER THE PARAMOUNT.
The Super Sport was Below the Sports Tourer!"

That statement is "factually incorrect" when considering the lineup of the 60's and early 70's.

The argument certainly can be made the "World Voyager" was second, if not paramount to Schwinn's lineup in 1974, so for that year the Sports Tourer was at least third.

So there. You're "factually incorrect." Do we want to play in the late '70s, or are we done here, Mr. VintageSchwinn?

Last edited by machinist42; 09-09-20 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 10:10 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

I would be so happy to go wreck a century on this bike, I do have a possibly unhealthy love of 3 speeds though....

Also, for anyone looking at building similar bikes, it is fairly easy to build an old 40 hole sturmey hub into a modern 32 hole rim. I do have a modern Sturmey in a bike and it is great, but made in England sturmey's will always hold a special place in my heart, half of the centuries I have ever ridden have actually been on sturmey equipped bikes...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-hole-rim.html
Old 09-09-20, 10:12 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by arty dave
I just looked at the photos of the green bike resto - how did you fix the paint so well? It looks great!
I spent a bunch of money. I had a few extra bucks from being a volunteer lab rat and She Who Is In Charge Of Money allowed me to spend it on Black Magic: Black Magic Paint

I like my wife. She facilitates my bicycling habit.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 09-09-20, 10:22 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by bikemig
Nice job. I've thought about picking up a schwinn supersport to build a townie with if I can find one at a non-crazy price. The nicer Chicago built Schwinns tend to command a premium in the used bike market though.

Did you build this with 700c wheels or did you stay with 27 inch? What sort of tires are you running? I'd like be able to run 700 x 35 tires if I build a townie like this.
These are 700C Sun CR-18 rims. The brake pads drop on the stock centerpull brakes far enough that the change was painless.

I have 700 x 35C Sierra Flak Jacket tires on this right now. Bike Tires Direct was practically begging people to take them away so I got a set. They hold air...
The rear tire has to be squeezed at the chainstays in order to mount the wheel. Not much, but it might make on-the-road repairs a chore. I'll probably swap them for 700 x 32C tires when I mount the fenders.

Old 09-09-20, 10:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills;21686661Maybe an alloy chainguard like this Velo Orange item?
[url
https://velo-orange.com/collections/city-accessories/products/vo-alloy-chainguard[/url]
I'd look around for anything that, when installed, would be nearly butted up against the seatstay. Then, instead of using that chainstay-scraping clamp, I'd use a P-clip to the seatstay, Raleigh style. Less of a chance for the guard and clamp to slip from getting kicked by one's heel.

-Kurt

Old 09-09-20, 10:26 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 452 Posts
Bikes Are Good

Originally Posted by jackbombay
The Continental ain't half bad though, I rode my first 180k on one :-P

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...umber-5-a.html
By no means do I disparage the Continental or the Varsity. My first "real" bike was a 60's Varsity, though I wanted a Sport Super Sport or a Paramount. I rode it to school every single day, and then my younger brother got a Continental, which I rode whenever I could. But now, riding an SSS or a Paramount, and having friends who have Varsities or Continentals, the difference is pronounced, and it's not the weight alone.

I eagerly read, and thoroughly enjoyed your thread when you first posted. I rode my first long distance, something over 70 miles, on my brother's Continental from St. Mary's College to Washington DC way back long ago.

Kudos to you, sir!
Likes For machinist42:
Old 09-09-20, 10:27 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

And another thank-you to #randyjawa for sending me the crank arm dust caps. They complete my wackdoodle setup.

Old 09-09-20, 10:29 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by cudak888
I'd look around for anything that, when installed, would be nearly butted up against the seatstay. Then, instead of using that chainstay-scraping clamp, I'd use a P-clip to the seatstay, Raleigh style. Less of a chance for the guard and clamp to slip from getting kicked by one's heel.

-Kurt
Good point. A trim-to-fit chainguard would be perfect. Now I just have to find one.

Old 09-09-20, 10:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Good point. A trim-to-fit chainguard would be perfect. Now I just have to find one.
The other thing you have to consider is that the VO bottom bracket mount won't work with the recessed Ashtabula bottom bracket conversion rings.

A chrome Raleigh Sports hockey stick chainguard with a downtube clamp mount might do the trick, if it's the right length. What's your center-of-BB-to-seatstay length?

-Kurt

Old 09-09-20, 10:38 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by cudak888
The other thing you have to consider is that the VO bottom bracket mount won't work with the recessed Ashtabula bottom bracket conversion rings.

A chrome Raleigh Sports hockey stick chainguard with a downtube clamp mount might do the trick, if it's the right length. What's your center-of-BB-to-seatstay length?

-Kurt
Dagnabbit, you made me get out of my comfy chair.

17", give or take a millimeter.

Don't you ever sleep?

Old 09-09-20, 10:42 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42
By no means do I disparage the Continental or the Varsity. My first "real" bike was a 60's Varsity, though I wanted a Sport Super Sport or a Paramount. I rode it to school every single day, and then my younger brother got a Continental, which I rode whenever I could. But now, riding an SSS or a Paramount, and having friends who have Varsities or Continentals, the difference is pronounced, and it's not the weight alone.
I don't have any experience on the higher end Schwinns, someday I hope to though! I did build up a 1988 Schwinn Premis (made in Chicago!) earlier this year with a 3 speed coaster brake sturmey, and it is a very special bike that I'll love till I die :-)

Originally Posted by machinist42
I eagerly read, and thoroughly enjoyed your thread when you first posted. I rode my first long distance, something over 70 miles, on my brother's Continental from St. Mary's College to Washington DC way back long ago.

Kudos to you, sir!
We will always remember the first time we stepped out of our comfort zone!

And, thanks, that was a memorable ride that I'll always be stoked on!
Likes For jackbombay:
Old 09-09-20, 11:18 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 67 Posts
Sun CR-18 rims and a generic "track" hub found in the bin at Community Cycling Center. I want to find a nice Maillard hub for the front but so far no luck.

I may have one, let me poke around.

EDIT: it's a rear, not a front. Sorry!

Last edited by RandolphCarter; 09-09-20 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-09-20, 11:29 PM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I spent a bunch of money. I had a few extra bucks from being a volunteer lab rat and She Who Is In Charge Of Money allowed me to spend it on Black Magic: Black Magic Paint

I like my wife. She facilitates my bicycling habit.
Aah! I was hoping for magic paint touch up secrets ...well they did a great job and amazing colour match
Old 09-09-20, 11:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

17", give or take a millimeter.
17" on the Raleigh to the seatstay where it meets the dropout. Definitely worth toying with one.

Not sure it's worth the price and shipping delays of the NOS guards from Greece though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-RAL...gAAOSw4CJbTJu7

Don't you ever sleep?
No, work ensures that I can't rest.

-Kurt