Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why so many Trek Bikes out there?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 04:41 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I tested the Trek commuter E bike

that was a good time
Old 02-01-19, 04:42 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by wgscott
Thanks, I'll be here all day.

BTW, where I live, Specialized dominates, but I've bought quite a few Treks over the years, back when they were made in Waterloo, Wisc. They were high-quality bikes at non-insane prices (back then).
Specialized pushes limits. I like it.
Old 02-01-19, 04:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,059 Times in 2,707 Posts
Trek back in the day made excellent bikes and they became so big they could buy out local shops and turn them into Trek only stores where you can really dive deep into variety from Trek to Bontrager back to Trek and everything in between (I kid slightly they also own Electra) Basically they bought out Klein, LeMond and Gary Fisher and killed those brands and also bought out Keith Bontrager but he still works for them. Lance Armstrong came along got really big and well known and rode Treks and people bought a lot because of that and spawned new people buying the stuff because they saw so much of it or their local shop had turned into a Treks Only shop. Also they have done a lot of sponsorship with folks like GCN and the various Pro Teams.

Sad they ruined the 520 because up until this year it was really the only bike of theirs I really actually liked for the longest time and then they went and said screw a good solid steel fork lets move to cheaper aluminum and turn it into our normal crap bucket. Pretty soon they will just lump it into the fx line and make it all out of cheap aluminum and call it day.
Old 02-01-19, 05:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And, I will note that Trek was an established brand well before Lance came along. I had a Trek 660 back in the mid-80s and bought a Trek 9300 (or whatever it was) in the early 90s. The storied Trek 720 touring bike was around since at least as far back as the early 80s. The 520, still produced today, was introduced in, I believe '83.
The 660 was a heck of a race bike. It would be great to see Trek bring it back the way that Bianchi and Fuji have done with some of their steel classics.
Old 02-01-19, 06:12 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy

Specialized pushes limits. I like it.
Specialized sues everyone, and makes boat anchors.
Old 02-01-19, 06:37 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think the entry level Trek bikes are like the old Schwinn before their decline. Those bikes might have been a bit heavy and stodgy, but were of good quality, and supported by a dealer network. There is a "just" in front of "buy a Trek" where people trust that they can go to one store and come out with a decent bike that will receive good service.

Near as I can tell, every Trek steel frame ever made is still in use.

Both Trek and Schwinn seem to command a premium price on CraigsList, compared to bikes of other brands that are objectively similar, suggesting that there's some brand recognition at work.
Old 02-01-19, 08:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Bike shops here in SoCal can only be so close together-- competition is great, but too much competition isn't so good for business. Combine that with very aggressive vendor contracts-- Trek and Spesh will both often refuse to distribute to a vendor selling a competitor brand-- and you have what I see here: ride in one area, and it's Cannondales and Giants everywhere. Ride in an area 20 miles west, and it's messy with Treks. Even with Trek's brutal contract tactics (shops have to pre-purchase a set number of bikes, regardless of what they actually sell,) Specialized seems to be worse-- in recent years, I see Specialized the least of the "Big Three" out on local rides. We have a Cyclery USA in the next town (which is a Trek shop) so we've no shortage of Treks. But my LBS is primarily Cannondale/Giant/Scott, so that's what I see most. Closer to the coast (Newport/Huntington) the Spesh numbers bump up a good bit. I don't think there's a bike shop out there that sells "everything." Shops are very likely contractually prevented from doing so.
Old 02-01-19, 08:55 PM
Igotdibs
Senior Citizen

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR7 Disc, Lemond Poprad, 1980 Colnago Super, '88 Specialized Rockhopper

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 576 Times in 162 Posts
When it's all said and done, if Trek bicycles were crap, they wouldn't sell. You see so many out on the road for a good reason... Good value for the price. How am I wrong?
Old 02-01-19, 09:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
They are like rocks.
And I saw Bob Seger last night.
Old 02-01-19, 09:12 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Igotdibs
When it's all said and done, if Trek bicycles were crap, they wouldn't sell. You see so many out on the road for a good reason... Good value for the price. How am I wrong?
i think you are right on with your thoughts.
Old 02-01-19, 09:38 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by dictionary

Trek

[trek]

verb (used without object), trekked, trek·king.

to travel or migrate, especially slowly or with difficulty.

noun

a journey or trip, especially one involving difficulty or hardship.

No Thanks!
Old 02-01-19, 09:47 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
because Trek is the Toyota or Honda of bikes, and everyone follows the sameness crowd.
Old 02-02-19, 06:04 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I guess you get all the chicks when you ride a Trek
Old 02-02-19, 07:56 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Easy to hate the big dogs. Not saying that how they got to be the big dogs is always fair or equitable but this is how things turned out.

And I grew up in Brookfield (would move back there without a second thought) so Trek was a big deal home brewed company to us.
Old 02-02-19, 08:38 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I put Trek stickers on my custom bike to prevent it from getting stolen.

Love it. Theft insurance for my Colnagos.

But to answer the OP’s question: love him or hate him, Lance sold millions of Treks.
Old 02-02-19, 08:49 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1748 Post(s)
Liked 1,377 Times in 722 Posts
Anyone that claims Treks are crap is simply talking trash as they know it is not true. Their bikes are made in the same factories as the other brands out there. So if Trek is crap so are the rest of them.
Disclaimer: I do not own a Trek, but have in the past.
Old 02-02-19, 08:56 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
When you see a lot of bikes, all one brand, that usually means there is a shop selling them near by. Probably the closest one to where you are.
Old 02-02-19, 09:40 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Anyone that claims Treks are crap is simply talking trash as they know it is not true. Their bikes are made in the same factories as the other brands out there. So if Trek is crap so are the rest of them.
Disclaimer: I do not own a Trek, but have in the past.
Treks are not crap. I owned a steel Trek way back in the day, it was my first quality bike. My wife owns a Trek Madone WSD and it is a good bike.

I have just moved on to my one true cycling passion: Italian bikes.
Old 02-02-19, 11:03 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Treks are not crap. I owned a steel Trek way back in the day, it was my first quality bike. My wife owns a Trek Madone WSD and it is a good bike.

I have just moved on to my one true cycling passion: Italian bikes.
I had Italian bikes, never saw anything more magical in them than I saw in a Japanese or an American bike. I think there is a power of perception going on, people think something is magical so they believe it. Years ago I had a Paramount, wish I kept it, but that bike was more than equal to any Italian steel bike I've rode.
Old 02-02-19, 11:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by greatscott
I had Italian bikes, never saw anything more magical in them than I saw in a Japanese or an American bike. I think there is a power of perception going on, people think something is magical so they believe it. Years ago I had a Paramount, wish I kept it, but that bike was more than equal to any Italian steel bike I've rode.
Good for you.
Old 02-03-19, 05:46 AM
02Giant 

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Sheep effect.
Old 02-03-19, 08:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,711 Times in 7,386 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The 660 was a heck of a race bike. It would be great to see Trek bring it back the way that Bianchi and Fuji have done with some of their steel classics.
With Camp Nuovo record and Modolo brakes with aero levers, I thought I was finally a serious cyclist.
Old 02-03-19, 07:47 PM
greatscott

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia

Good for you.
You can roll your eyes all you want, but I guarantee you if I were to blind fold you and put on an identically built and equipped columbus steel (or you pick the italian steel) Italian bike and say a Japanese steel bike you won't be able to tell the difference. Just so you know, some years back they actually did this test, they didn't use blindfolds obviously so the bikes were all painted the same color void of decals and only the custom builder knew which was which, 6 or 8 people rode those two bikes for a month and no one knew which was which. I bet you too that if they had told the people which one was Italian and which one was Japanese, they all would have perceived that the Italian was better.
Old 02-03-19, 08:26 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by greatscott
You can roll your eyes all you want, but I guarantee you if I were to blind fold you and put on an identically built and equipped columbus steel (or you pick the italian steel) Italian bike and say a Japanese steel bike you won't be able to tell the difference. Just so you know, some years back they actually did this test, they didn't use blindfolds obviously so the bikes were all painted the same color void of decals and only the custom builder knew which was which, 6 or 8 people rode those two bikes for a month and no one knew which was which. I bet you too that if they had told the people which one was Italian and which one was Japanese, they all would have perceived that the Italian was better.
You want to pick a fight over something stupid and meaningless.

Well you are gonna have to do it all by your lonesome.

Good luck to you and your Asian bikes.
Old 02-04-19, 12:27 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I like Trek bikes. I have 3 of them.

There's several Trek dealers within a 100 mile radius of my rural location. I don't live in a hipster paradise like Oregon, California or Colorado where all of the "cool" bikes are plentiful and dealt, so Trek is the best option and a very good option, IMO.

Last edited by DomaneS5; 02-04-19 at 12:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.