Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-18, 05:49 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
@gsteinb I'm reading the book "The Brave Athlete - Calm the F*** Down and Rise to the Occasion" and I happen to be on the chapter dealing with the mental side of injuries. It's a pretty interesting book and suggest it for anyone interested in the head side of training (a big interest of mine right now) and what they recommend for what you are currently going through is to challenge the catastrophic thoughts (I might never race again) with factual evidence to the contrary even though you might know if it's feasible or not yet and preferably in your control (it's too early to tell how my hand will respond but I will start training when my injury allows). The goal is to create counter statements that focus on the positive to balance the negative emotions of the unknown.

Hang in there.
I don’t quite know how to say this without coming across dismissively. So sorry. It’s appreciated and not my intent. But I don’t have catastrophic thoughts about this. I may not race again is not a catastrophic thought. What I’m doing is being transparent about a process. Which is part of all this stuff too. No one races forever. There’s time when folks stop. Sometimes it’s when you suck, or have a baby, or get married. Promotion. Races dry up. Some guys age out. Sometimes maybe it’s when you’ve had too many surgeries to find pallateable. Dunno. Already said I don’t know. Task 1 is getting my hand to work. Then if I’m inclined towards going back to my normally scheduled program of Crits and RRs that’ll be how it goes.

Last edited by gsteinb; 05-15-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-15-18, 06:15 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb

I don’t quite know how to say this without coming across dismissively. So sorry. It’s appreciated and not my intent.

It's all good. Good luck
Old 05-15-18, 09:29 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Gary is the chillest mother- ****er on this forum. He don't need no book! (considering he's a cool dude who shipped me a bunch of books that I'm still reading, this doesn't really apply, buttt ya catch my drift)

Got out for one of my favorite mtb rides here. Climb ~2000Feet of single track, turn around and descend back down. Took like 5 minutes off my best time from last year. I'm in much better shape and the trails were good, but I'm pretty sure most of that just comes from not hauling nearly 40# of bike up the hill this time. My descent was a bit slower though, but that's probably due to the absurd amount of hikers that were out today.
Old 05-16-18, 09:29 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
it's been all sweet spot all the time for me the past week with trainerroad, today was 5x12 averaging 91%
Old 05-16-18, 12:25 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
AOMM on Monday for 103mi and 11k feet. Flatted in the main 24+ mph group after 30 miles. Had to pretty much solo to Marion. A 30min recovery spin on the Cyclops stationary yesterday. A good hard workout at lunch today. "Getting while the getting is good" comes to mind.

I found an awesome new workout on some coach's blog somewhere. Probably been around forever, just new to me is all. 2min at some decent % above 20min ftp, reduce to 20min power or 1hr ftp for another 6 to 8 min. Repeat as desired/able. Great little lunch hour workout.

Basically got in almost 20min either right at 20min power on avg or at 95% in a 30min lunch break.

I've read somewhere that if you're not a guy with time for a huge aerobic base, you can try to extract some gains out of your prep for and doing a big fondo like AOMM. Seems to be true so far. Utilize that fatigue for some short/hard workouts.

I'm proud I finished mid-pack in it too. I'm not a guy who has time to go ride a metric or more every week or spend on 4-5 hour rides. A couple guys were surprised I could do it decently on just mostly HIIT and maybe 3 endurance rides in the weeks before the ride. I pretty much went 50mi, 70mi, 40mi in the 3 weeks prior for my longest rides. But, I'm a little skinny. I'm not tiny, but I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs plus or minus.
Old 05-16-18, 01:14 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I crushed the Worlds ride on mediocre watts; was probably about 20 watts less across the whole power spectrum than I expected. Apparently that doesn't really matter @ 146 lbs. I fell off the lead group at top of the first hill but 5 of us worked together and caught the shattered remains of it at the end. That's the first time I've finished in the 'front' in 5 years. To be fair, a lot of it had to do with positioning as well (i.e. not being at the tail end on the first hill).

At the end of the day, this just puts me up to where I should have been. Its nothing special or impressive and there is still a lot of work to do.

I need to focus on getting my FTP back up, the lungs just don't feel like they're 100%. CTL is at 70.
Old 05-16-18, 01:16 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

I'm proud I finished mid-pack in it too. I'm not a guy who has time to go ride a metric or more every week or spend on 4-5 hour rides. A couple guys were surprised I could do it decently on just mostly HIIT and maybe 3 endurance rides in the weeks before the ride. I pretty much went 50mi, 70mi, 40mi in the 3 weeks prior for my longest rides. But, I'm a little skinny. I'm not tiny, but I'm 5' 10" and 150 lbs plus or minus.
Yeah, the trainerroad guys say on podcasts and other things that it really isn't necessary to ride the target duration/distance as a prerequisite to doing an event, as long as the fitness is there and one is fueled. Not that this is a good example (I did horribly compared to others in results after a bad climb and nearly getting crashed by someone), I raced 65 miles for almost 3.5 hrs (IF of .86) and not having done really any rides over 2hrs and mainly indoors.I would think there are benefits in longer ride (enjoyment, practicing nutritional strategies, etc). I'm thinking of doing a 150mile gravel event later in the summer, and a 100 mile fondo in europe with 2 HC climbs, so I may need to think about the volume/nutrition training at some point, though lol
Old 05-16-18, 01:55 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Yeah, the trainerroad guys say on podcasts and other things that it really isn't necessary to ride the target duration/distance as a prerequisite to doing an event, as long as the fitness is there and one is fueled.
Your arms, neck, and back might get cranky even if your legs are fine.
Old 05-16-18, 07:18 PM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitness Peak

My fitness (according to my PMC) is peaking yet I've been getting destroyed out on road. I guess I've been racing my way to fitness.
Old 05-16-18, 09:26 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

New road bike showed up today but the headset bolt exploded as i was tightening it down. So one more day on the mtb this week. Set a bunch of PR's on the trails which is pretty sweet!
Old 05-17-18, 10:08 AM
hubcyclist

3x20 sweet spot (88, 92, 90%) over 2hrs, ctl is at 88

signed up for this thing today, I've got my work cut out for me, definitely need to get out for some longer rides:
Old 05-17-18, 10:58 AM
furiousferret

Good luck with that, time to drop some pounds!
Old 05-17-18, 02:10 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by arai_speed
My fitness (according to my PMC) is peaking yet I've been getting destroyed out on road. I guess I've been racing my way to fitness.
If you're talking about a peak in CTL, that's not necessarily the time you'll be the strongest. It's just measuring when you've been doing a log of work - and are probably tired.

You'll be your strongest right after you peak, then rest - rest (after exercise) is when you get stronger, after all.

This is what the "taper" idea is from I believe.

my race videos
Old 05-17-18, 05:30 PM
ntnyln

3x20 sweet spot (88, 92, 90%) over 2hrs, ctl is at 88

signed up for this thing today, I've got my work cut out for me, definitely need to get out for some longer rides:
That looks amazing. How long are you planning on staying? I would need to fly in the day before because I would end up on a port tasting binge before the ride.
Old 05-17-18, 05:45 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by ntnyln
That looks amazing. How long are you planning on staying? I would need to fly in the day before because I would end up on a port tasting binge before the ride.
I'll be there a couple of weeks in July. My parents are actually going this Sunday to get their home there ready and take care of odds and ends, and then they'll come back home a couple of weeks after we do. The whole backstory to this is that I wanted to have my son visit their village with them so he could have this connection to his ancestral land through his grandparents (pretty safe to say that before my parents came to the states our ancestors had spent millenia in northern Portugal). Hopefully I'll be able to do some other riding, this mountain is near their home https://www.strava.com/segments/7815062

I won't be taking in too much wine though lol I will probably eat too many custard tarts though!
Old 05-17-18, 06:08 PM
ntnyln

I'll be there a couple of weeks in July. My parents are actually going this Sunday to get their home there ready and take care of odds and ends, and then they'll come back home a couple of weeks after we do. The whole backstory to this is that I wanted to have my son visit their village with them so he could have this connection to his ancestral land through his grandparents (pretty safe to say that before my parents came to the states our ancestors had spent millenia in northern Portugal). Hopefully I'll be able to do some other riding, this mountain is near their home https://www.strava.com/segments/7815062

I won't be taking in too much wine though lol I will probably eat too many custard tarts though!

There's a whole bunch of win in there. It's so great you want to you son to have that connection.
Old 05-17-18, 09:01 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Got the part I needed to get the new bike all put together. Stripped old bars off and put the enve bars I have on. THen realized running di2 wires through bars is difficult without the little fish tape tool. So I left the bars unwrapped and wires hanging out there and jsut went and rode. No computer, and mainly meant to just start dialling it in. Stopped probably 10 or 15 times to adjust saddle, hoods, bars... New bike day is always fun!
Old 05-18-18, 09:44 AM
arai_speed

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
If you're talking about a peak in CTL, that's not necessarily the time you'll be the strongest. It's just measuring when you've been doing a log of work - and are probably tired.

You'll be your strongest right after you peak, then rest - rest (after exercise) is when you get stronger, after all.

This is what the "taper" idea is from I believe.
Good point! I need to pay attention to my fatigue and rest.
Old 05-18-18, 10:47 AM
hubcyclist

ventured outdoors for a z2 ride today, mainly sticking to the local MUP, 70tss
Old 05-18-18, 07:42 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
After Tuesday morning's crit practice (20" surge every minute for an hour) did a social ride that evening, not high intensity but a nice steady 77 TSS. Beautiful views of SF across the bay from the east bay hills.

Wednesday I did the race ride, legs had very little capacity over threshold after Tuesday morning. Got dropped early, still got 240 TSS and a 2nd best personal time up the main climb. One guy did 470 for 4:30 up the first (non-neutral) climb according to Strava and got the KOM. I broke 6 minutes lol.

Up to 89 CTL. 3 days of rest should get me up to positive TSB in time for Sunday's road race.
Old 05-19-18, 11:25 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Feeling more normalish. 4x30 + 3x40 yesterday. The NP you generate off of that stuff is hilarious.
Old 05-19-18, 02:23 PM
hubcyclist

early training for me today, only had one latte instead of my usual three lol 2hrs with 4x20 sweet spot, around 91% ctl at 89
Old 05-19-18, 06:10 PM
furiousferret

Started riding the TT Bike for SCNCA State Champs, unfortunately when in aero I'm having a pinching sensation on my left leg. Hopefully its just scar tissue or something minor.

I had to Zwift today cus my Garmin kept losing GPS signal. Not sure if that's a legit reason to bail out but I didn't want to ride 4 hours without mileage and speed data....

Read some possible issues on the Garmin forums. Hopefully it works tomorrow,
Old 05-19-18, 06:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Took my son on the B ride this morning. He killed it. I told him not to take any pulls but he never listens to me at home so why would he on the bike?
Old 05-19-18, 09:02 PM
furiousferret

Pretty soon you're going to post 20 times a day with tales of him winning after brake checking the juniors field.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.