Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

USA touring suggestions wanted

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

USA touring suggestions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-20, 08:26 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Greg, interesting comments on Medicare. Here too it is not that old, began after I was born, so mid to late 60s.

as you say though, the virus issue is very much more the pressing concern. We have friends who were planning to bike in South Korea, Taiwan, and certainly have serious decisions to take with travelling there. I would certainly be very hesitant.

all the best with your decisions.
and yes, the Canadian dollar is very close to the Aussie dollar. Does make a difference....
Likes For djb:
Old 03-02-20, 11:18 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by gregmacc
The agent assured me that we would be fully covered for all hospitalisation costs incurred in the event of such things as crash trauma and Coronavirus infection.
What was a worry though was the fact that since January 20th they will not be covering flight cancellations due to Coronavirus issues. Consequently we have been paying close attention to developments with the global Coronavirus situation and it just keeps getting worse. We have put our plans on hold. ....
In USA, the govt health care system is also called medicare, so there might be confusion at times if you or someone else is talking about medicare without identifying which medicare.

My health care when I am outside of USA only covers emergencies. My trip to Canada last summer (a bit over five weeks), about half way through the trip I had a minor problem that fortunately did not get worse very fast, so I waited until I got home to see a physician. Not being an emergency, I did not want to pay out of pocket for it. I have bought trip insurance when I traveled outside of USA for some additional coverage, but that additional coverage was really oriented towards emergencies, not full coverage.

They are saying that the coronavirus might get less strong as weather warms up, apparently some viruses survive better in cooler drier conditions. So, I am not sure yet if I want to leave the country for a trip, but I am thinking for now that maybe it is best to put things off a year and stay in my home country. But if news on the virus gets better, I might travel after all.

This is a good data source on the virus, but it is data only, no commentary. Near the bottom on that page it also lists a mobile version link that would work better on a phone or small tablet.
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

For example, I just clicked on Australia, I got 29 cases, a map of cities where they are and a short summery of recovery data, etc. clicking on a dot on the map gives more data.

One thing I am realizing from this is that you want to have as few airport connections in different countries as possible.

Good luck with your plans.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 03-02-20, 03:55 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
You're unlikely to be able to get Coronavirus cover from any travel insurance company now. RAA are agents for Tokio Marine, their travel insurance brand is World2Cover which doesn't cover anything to do with Coronavirus: https://world2cover.com.au/travel-al...or-coronavirus

Incidentally, if you are travelling for more than a few weeks and less than 60 days total in any one trip, Annual Multi Trip policies are usually much cheaper and if you play your cards right you may be able to squeeze two holidays on one policy. Assuming we get to go to Japan, we'll be doing a 7 week trip and a 5 week trip within one year, for less than the cost of a 5 week normal policy. And we'd be covered for the medical cost of Coronavirus, since we already have insurance. The weird thing is we don't get anything if we cancel, so they'll cover us if we travel to a bad area, but not if we don't go because it is bad (no way do I wan't to be in a Japanese hospital for a few days. Even ordering dinner would be a mission, let alone talking to a doctor, even worse if you were really sick because of the language barrier)

Oh yeah, prices in Canada are on a par with Australia, ie expensive!

Last edited by Trevtassie; 03-02-20 at 03:59 PM.
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 03-02-20, 07:31 PM
djb

The financial costs of this virus already are something. The Chinese f1 race is cancelled, as are the first two MotoGP races, Quatar and Thailand. The issue with travelers who have been in Italy being required to do the 14 day quarentine the main reason, and then the whole large crowd thing.

Certainly not inconsequential all these money losses.
Likes For djb:
Old 03-02-20, 09:46 PM
gregmacc

Bikes: ... too many ...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Realistically guys this Coronavirus situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better ... Considering near-future overseas/international travel for Aussies and New Zealanders right now is really difficult. We need to cover long distances and sometimes a convoluted series of flights and transfers to get to specific destinations in say North America or Europe. When you factor in the increasing potential for Coronavirus associated delays, restrictions and cancellations and the plummeting value of our respective currencies against the U.S. Dollar it's starting to look like a bad idea. Of course if you have flight tickets already booked and pre-arranged travel insurance that covers issues associated with Coronavirus, there are less choices to be made ... nevertheless, contingency plans might be worth thinking through.
Our plan B is to stay local and use my wife's locked-in leave to head north of here for a month or so into the Flinders Ranges. It's looking more likely as every day goes by.
Old 03-03-20, 07:40 AM
djb

Realistically guys this Coronavirus situation is going to get a lot worse before it gets better ... Considering near-future overseas/international travel for Aussies and New Zealanders right now is really difficult. We need to cover long distances and sometimes a convoluted series of flights and transfers to get to specific destinations in say North America or Europe. When you factor in the increasing potential for Coronavirus associated delays, restrictions and cancellations and the plummeting value of our respective currencies against the U.S. Dollar it's starting to look like a bad idea. Of course if you have flight tickets already booked and pre-arranged travel insurance that covers issues associated with Coronavirus, there are less choices to be made ... nevertheless, contingency plans might be worth thinking through.
Our plan B is to stay local and use my wife's locked-in leave to head north of here for a month or so into the Flinders Ranges. It's looking more likely as every day goes by.
that pretty much sums it up Greg. It is unrealistic to think that this will peter out quickly. I even wonder how things will be if and when I come to decide what to do this summer.
We have some Kiwi friends here in Montreal and are very aware of the costs and time involved for them to fly home for visits.
Listen, its been nice chatting sporadically about your trip ideas, and to mention again, its nice that you have been active and responding to peoples suggestions. Feel free to pop back in other topics if you are into web forum banter, but especially all the best with figuring out what you two will be doing and even more importantly, have fun doing whatever you do together.
Likes For djb:
Old 03-03-20, 06:24 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
May see you there, it's on our option list, Murray River ride then across to the Mawson Trail... Already done the Munda Biddi so that's out...
Likes For Trevtassie: