Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Comical Encounter

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Comical Encounter

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 07:59 PM
gwuwu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol so competitive.
Old 10-16-20, 08:46 PM
Cacti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I do a lot of hiking and it's amazing the shape some older people are in. My hero was an 80-something guy I once shared a ski lift ride with when I was in my 30s. I thought man if I could still be skiing when I'm 80 instead of sitting in some rocking chair, I'll be so happy..
Old 10-16-20, 11:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2630 Post(s)
Liked 5,763 Times in 2,968 Posts
Originally Posted by friday1970
How many times have I been on rides thinking "I'll take it easy today", then someone passes me and then I think "It's on!".
I'm only 49, but I hope to God that when I turn 70, I can still do this. I fear getting older. I really do. But I read stories like this and I hope and pray I turn out nearly the same.
Too funny. Two days ago I was headed out on an easy day and saving myself for a hard ride the next day. So 8 miles in I see two guys just heading out for a ride from a local parking lot. I am cruzing at 20 and approaching a slight downhill on a right turn where I know I can easily hit 25 and blast by them. So they are just at the bottom of the turn when I smoke them. Guess they were going 18. In not more than 1 minute, one of the guys blasts by me going 23-24 on the flats. Of course I give chase (because I am an overly competitive dumb $h!t) and this guy goes at the same clip for the next 2-3 miles as I keep pace at a distance. He is not slowing so he gets the last laugh as I start to fry and drop down to 18-19 and he quickly disappears into the distance. Never saw the guy he started with. Since I worked so hard to see if he would blow up, I decided WTF and went and did my local half mile 6-8% gradient climb.

I abandoned my hard ride the next day half way through because the legs were still fried and took a shortcut back. Paid the stoopid tax.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-16-20 at 11:23 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-17-20, 06:29 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so you're break away was successful, and you need a mirror
Old 10-19-20, 10:08 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 1,649 Times in 830 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
so you're break away was successful, and you need a mirror
Even with a mirror, I'd still do over the shoulder glances. It sends a message to those behind me that I am looking. I hear quite frequently from motorists complaining about cyclists "hogging the lane" that the cyclist never even knew the motorist was behind them. I feel confident that motorists and some cyclists don't recognize when a rider has a mirror.