Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to a Category 1 in one season. How hard is it to go pro?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Upgrading to a Category 1 in one season. How hard is it to go pro?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-13, 02:46 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another taker, hahahaha
How is fat Phil feeling?
Old 05-21-13, 02:51 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rkwaki
Another taker, hahahaha
How is fat Phil feeling?
Probably not so good.

Really nice guy, though.
Old 05-21-13, 02:53 PM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
Not me. LOL!

Two of guys I know and have ridden with with that kind of talent have just competed in the TOC so they don't need this.

A third rides for UnitedHealthCare. Is your gig an upgrade?

The fourth is talented, but maybe too old (29). He would love to have a pro contract, but he just started his PhD.
I think he might chuck it for a pro contract, though.
is he getting a PhD in stupidity?
Old 05-21-13, 02:55 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably not so good.

Really nice guy, though.
Had I been riding I was planning on coming down your way last winter so you could cook me dinner and I could beat up on fat Phil on the flats
Old 05-21-13, 02:57 PM
Boss McCross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you very much for your feedback. I have had some of the results you posted about. And beaten legit pros. I would really be interested in having a private conversation. Maybe you could provide me some background and what teams are looking in a private message?
Old 05-21-13, 03:10 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss McCross
Thank you very much for your feedback. I have had some of the results you posted about. And beaten legit pros. I would really be interested in having a private conversation. Maybe you could provide me some background and what teams are looking in a private message?
BTW I was joking. Rosters are set for the year.
One thing to remember a pro in a local event (i.e. p/1/2/3 race) and the same pro in a pro race is a completely different rider. They often ride them for training or to keep from getting bored or to make a little cash but when surrounded by their peers they are very very different.
Old 05-21-13, 03:22 PM
botto 

BTW I was joking. Rosters are set for the year.
One thing to remember a pro in a local event (i.e. p/1/2/3 race) and the same pro in a pro race is a completely different rider. They often ride them for training or to keep from getting bored or to make a little cash but when surrounded by their peers they are very very different.
too true.
Old 05-21-13, 03:24 PM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
too true.
I have spent a bunch of time with a UHC guy (grolby knows who I am talking about) and his persona during long training rides/local races is very different than at big races. He and I laughed last year after I got into an argument with two riders (they said I was being sketchy, I told them to get out of my way so I wouldn't have to go around them in a corner) - we laughed about the fact that that is how you do it in the bigs...
Old 05-21-13, 05:50 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

is he getting a PhD in stupidity?
You can get a PhD anytime.

A pro contract is harder to get.
Old 05-21-13, 05:53 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Had I been riding I was planning on coming down your way last winter so you could cook me dinner and I could beat up on fat Phil on the flats
I have passed him many times on personal training rides. He is REALLY disciplined in his training.

I would be happy to cook you dinner. Just stay away from my wife.
Old 05-21-13, 06:04 PM
botto 

You can get a PhD anytime.

A pro contract is harder to get.
true, but a domestic contract pays what? about what a burger flipper at micket d's makes?
Old 05-21-13, 06:18 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
true, but a domestic contract pays what? about what a burger flipper at micket d's makes?
Probably better than what I make while working on a PhD.
Old 05-21-13, 06:54 PM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
Probably better than what I make while working on a PhD.
I actually doubt that if you manage to be a TA or research assistant or something. Now, in terms of after the PhD. I think the domestic pro has a PhD recipient beat. Especially if the PhD is in Early Spanish Colonial Cave Painting.
Old 05-21-13, 07:16 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
I actually doubt that if you manage to be a TA or research assistant or something. Now, in terms of after the PhD. I think the domestic pro has a PhD recipient beat. Especially if the PhD is in Early Spanish Colonial Cave Painting.
I get a research stipend. They pay my health insurance. It's literally just enough to get by.
Old 05-21-13, 08:10 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
I get a research stipend. They pay my health insurance. It's literally just enough to get by.
next up: try living on a stipend in NYC. in that context, cycling is truly an luxury. I avoided the MTA for four years in order not to pay fares and commuted to most places on my bike. Thank goodness there was a trader joe's where i could get the cheapest grocery in the city, and often times i ended up having 20lbs of stuff on my bike rack and another 30lbs on my shoulders. When i stood up to pedal my bike actually felt unstable b/c of the heavy weight on the back. Hooray for the life of a Ph D student.

and the best part? I was paying $1k for a single room whereas i pay $1200 now for a large studio. My grocery bill, even after the scrimping, was $400/month in NYC, and i sure ate a lot of stuff i wouldn't buy now (e.g. poultry laden with antibiotics). i didn't actually realize that 6oz-heavy chicken breast was unnatural...

Forget about going to bars or restaurants if you want to save a bit or have a hobby. Many people i know resorted to tutoring to make ends meet.
Old 05-21-13, 08:58 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
I've got a friend who got his first ride at 36...
It happens but it is rare...
I knew a guy back in the day that started racing as a master, upgraded to a 2 quickly and went over to Austria with a teammate and they got 1-2 at Masters Worlds road race.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 05-21-13, 11:37 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I knew a guy back in the day that started racing as a master, upgraded to a 2 quickly and went over to Austria with a teammate and they got 1-2 at Masters Worlds road race.
Started racing at 45. Went from 5-2 in a season. I got my 1 at 47. Had offers to ride with several 1/2 teams. Figured those slots might be better filled with kids who might turn into something other than old.

Bobby J. lived out of his car for a year.

When I did the pro Moto GP thing I lived hand to mouth for a lot of years. Never got the factory ride, never made the "big Show" in Europe. Could have spent that time getting a degree, instead all I have is a diploma from a lousy high school.

Never regretted it for a second.

I learned more doing that than I ever did in the 6 months I went to JC. Money's just an opportunity tool, it's not a life.

You're talking like a responsible parent (shudder).

Is...this...the...end...of....

Botto?

Last edited by Racer Ex; 05-21-13 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 06:45 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
^ Age is a significant consideration. At 23, and in your first year, your run way is shortening to hit the bigs. UCI Continental teams have to have the majority of their riders under 28 years of age. Thus the closer you're getting to 28, the less value you have to a Continental team.

23 isn't too old, but if you have a chance to really go somewhere with this, you need to get on it now.
A friend signed with Kelly this year at 24. He was mainly recruited for cross, though. 24 in UCI cross is a whole different deal than 24 in UCI Continental, much less Pro Tour.

OP, if you're for real, good luck and race safe. If you're a sock, go **** yourself.
Old 05-22-13, 07:30 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
A friend signed with Kelly this year at 24. He was mainly recruited for cross, though. 24 in UCI cross is a whole different deal than 24 in UCI Continental, much less Pro Tour.

OP, if you're for real, good luck and race safe. If you're a sock, go **** yourself.
i thought we agreed that he was for real?
Old 05-22-13, 07:34 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Master and I can't keep up. Go **** yourself.

Old 05-22-13, 07:35 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Kwakerson retort in there somewhere.
Old 05-22-13, 07:48 AM
botto 

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Started racing at 45. Went from 5-2 in a season. I got my 1 at 47. Had offers to ride with several 1/2 teams. Figured those slots might be better filled with kids who might turn into something other than old.

Bobby J. lived out of his car for a year.

When I did the pro Moto GP thing I lived hand to mouth for a lot of years. Never got the factory ride, never made the "big Show" in Europe. Could have spent that time getting a degree, instead all I have is a diploma from a lousy high school.

Never regretted it for a second.

I learned more doing that than I ever did in the 6 months I went to JC. Money's just an opportunity tool, it's not a life.

You're talking like a responsible parent (shudder).

Is...this...the...end...of....

Botto?

Yes, because I chose such a practical profession.
Old 05-22-13, 01:39 PM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your math doesn't work out. If you're new to racing, you started as a 5. You must complete 10 races to upgrade to Cat 4. You need 25 points to upgrade to Cat 3, wich could be done in 4 races if you won every race. You would then need 30 points, I think, to upgrade to Cat 2, which could be done in 5 races if you won every race (maybe less if you did stage races).

So, if you won every single race you entered, we're talking at least 19 races here.

Anyway, to answer your question, there are a few racers around here who went from 5>1 in a season, one of whom is now riding for a domestic pro team. He just raced with them a lot, and was consistently up there for the finish. I think he just asked them, or they asked him. Race a lot, with the teams you want to ride with, get results, and see if something pans out by September.
Old 05-22-13, 01:56 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Interesting thread. It's pretty cool to see people who can just enter the sport and dominate.

and fwiw, despite the rules, 10 races are NOT necessary to become a cat 4
Old 05-22-13, 02:17 PM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HMF
Your math doesn't work out. If you're new to racing, you started as a 5. You must complete 10 (or maybe just 7, given any applicable training/upgrade clinics) races to upgrade to Cat 4. You need 20 points to upgrade to Cat 3, wich could be done in 2 races if you won every race. You would then need 30 points, I think, to upgrade to Cat 2, which could be done in 3 races if you won every race (maybe less if you did stage races).

So, if you won every single race you entered, we're talking at least 12 races here.
Fixed the math for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.