Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How far to the grocery store?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How far to the grocery store?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 03:59 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Do you have lights at the crossings?
No.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St...!4d-98.2022633

Coming in from the east on W Tarleton, (crossing 40mph N Harbin just off the top of this view) I go in the back of the Big Lots/Family Dollar lot, and cross the 40mph part of Washington to HEB.
I could get on Washington closer to home, but it's busy and with intermittent shoulder westbound, and mostly no shoulder at all eastbound. It goes to 30mph about a third of the way back to my turnoff, but that's not a lot of help.
Old 05-06-17, 12:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
HEB, Big Lots and Dollar General, 1 mile
WalMart, 2 miles

Bigger location draw of HEB is that it's nearly all a gentle downhill coming home, and all residential streets and university sidewalks except for crossing one moderate feeder and a busy 4-lane, whereas WalMart involves a moderate climb each way and riding at least a quarter mile on a 4 or 5 lane.
Yes, sometimes distance is less important than trqvel conditions. I used to ride 6 miles to a grocery store rather than 1 mile to a comparable store. This was because I reached the more distant store on a beautiful bike trail instead of a nasty car street.

Walmarts (and similar stores) are almost always located on 4-lane or more streets. If I want to go to a Walmart, I will often take the bus instead of the bike.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-06-17, 12:53 AM
RoadRider4321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The nearest Fry's supermarket almost 1 mile from my home. I go grocery shopping for most of my major items once a week.
Old 05-07-17, 09:36 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Yes, sometimes distance is less important than trqvel conditions. I used to ride 6 miles to a grocery store rather than 1 mile to a comparable store. This was because I reached the more distant store on a beautiful bike trail instead of a nasty car street.

Walmarts (and similar stores) are almost always located on 4-lane or more streets. If I want to go to a Walmart, I will often take the bus instead of the bike.
I know of a Walmart with a lovely MUP trail along a 4-lane road with trees and ornamental plants growing in the median between the road and the MUP. The only problem with the MUP is several crossings where you can't really count on right-turning drivers to see you before launching into traffic. For some reason, at the crossing to go into the Walmart, the traffic signal is set up so that drivers have to wait exceptionally long to turn left into Walmart, so when you're crossing by bike you really have to pay attention to traffic that might swoop left if there's an opening. I wish that signal had a red arrow that only turned green at the beginning of the light cycle, so it was easier to cross safely.

Walmart and other one-stop shops are great for LCF, generally, because they allow people to live within walking/biking distance of the store to get everything they need without driving around to multiple stores. Big box stores are basically like mini-malls with grocery shopping and less land-waste because all the stores are combined as departments of the same store, where all the cash registers and other functions of the store are combined and consolidated. Some people hate these big box stores because they want there to be lots of small businesses in separate buildings, but really there's no benefit to using small local businesses to boost the local economy except to pay for everyone to drive around in cars anyway.
Old 05-08-17, 12:24 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by tandempower
I know of a Walmart with a lovely MUP trail along a 4-lane road with trees and ornamental plants growing in the median between the road and the MUP. The only problem with the MUP is several crossings where you can't really count on right-turning drivers to see you before launching into traffic. For some reason, at the crossing to go into the Walmart, the traffic signal is set up so that drivers have to wait exceptionally long to turn left into Walmart, so when you're crossing by bike you really have to pay attention to traffic that might swoop left if there's an opening. I wish that signal had a red arrow that only turned green at the beginning of the light cycle, so it was easier to cross safely.

Walmart and other one-stop shops are great for LCF, generally, because they allow people to live within walking/biking distance of the store to get everything they need without driving around to multiple stores. Big box stores are basically like mini-malls with grocery shopping and less land-waste because all the stores are combined as departments of the same store, where all the cash registers and other functions of the store are combined and consolidated. Some people hate these big box stores because they want there to be lots of small businesses in separate buildings, but really there's no benefit to using small local businesses to boost the local economy except to pay for everyone to drive around in cars anyway.
My problem with Walmart is that around here they make no effort to attract or accommodate carfree shoppers. This is in strong contrast to Meijer's, a chain that provides bus amenities, bike facilities, and safer parking lots for pedestrians.

I generall prefer shopping at smaller stores when possible. At the last place I lived, a butcher shop, produce market, and several other locally owned shops were located along a line between my house and my workplace. It was very convenient to shop by bike along this route. The smaller shops provided better merchandise and much better service than the big box stores.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-08-17, 02:55 PM
tandempower

My problem with Walmart is that around here they make no effort to attract or accommodate carfree shoppers. This is in strong contrast to Meijer's, a chain that provides bus amenities, bike facilities, and safer parking lots for pedestrians.

I generall prefer shopping at smaller stores when possible. At the last place I lived, a butcher shop, produce market, and several other locally owned shops were located along a line between my house and my workplace. It was very convenient to shop by bike along this route. The smaller shops provided better merchandise and much better service than the big box stores.
One-stop shopping attracts me as a car-free shopper, because it saves time riding around to different stores. Most Walmarts I've been to around Florida have bike parking, and Walmart is the only discount store I know that sells bikes and bike parts, besides Target maybe, but it's a bit pricier. Dollar General and Family Dollar are good general stores, but they don't sell anything bike related.
Old 05-09-17, 10:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by tandempower
One-stop shopping attracts me as a car-free shopper, because it saves time riding around to different stores. Most Walmarts I've been to around Florida have bike parking, and Walmart is the only discount store I know that sells bikes and bike parts, besides Target maybe, but it's a bit pricier. Dollar General and Family Dollar are good general stores, but they don't sell anything bike related.
I guess your time is a lot more valuable than mine.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-09-17, 01:48 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Walmart has started a free home delivery service through UPS/FedEx for on-line non refrigerated grocery orders over $35. Pretty convenient for shoppers who choose to not not haul heavier items on their bicycle or back. I use this service for delivery of 8-packs of 20oz bottles of Gatorade, ½ gallon jugs of fruit juice, glass jars of Wheat Germ and whatever else comes to mind when I order, delivery to the door takes two or three days. Prices are equal to or less than that found in the store. Not all grocery items are eligible for this service but plenty are..
Old 05-09-17, 02:29 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Walmart has started a free home delivery service through UPS/FedEx for on-line non refrigerated grocery orders over $35. Pretty convenient for shoppers who choose to not not haul heavier items on their bicycle or back. I use this service for delivery of 8-packs of 20oz bottles of Gatorade, ½ gallon jugs of fruit juice, glass jars of Wheat Germ and whatever else comes to mind when I order, delivery to the door takes two or three days. Prices are equal to or less than that found in the store. Not all grocery items are eligible for this service but plenty are..
Do you have to be home to receive it?
Old 05-09-17, 02:40 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cooker
Do you have to be home to receive it?
No.
Old 05-09-17, 02:42 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Sounds good.
Old 05-09-17, 02:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

As a further note on the on-line Walmart grocery service, my wife was disappointed that her usual supermarket (HyVe) stopped carrying packages of Saffron rice. I checked the Walmart in town ( my wife won't shop there for aesthetic reasons) and it also did not carry this rice. It was available on-line from Walmart so I just added it to the order. Easy peasy.
Old 05-10-17, 11:14 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess your time is a lot more valuable than mine.
It's not just the time, it's the stuff; I don't want to leave panniers full of WalMart purchases outside (or even in the entry area) of Big Lots for 20-30 minutes while I shop there, nor do I want to ride home to unload and then go back to a store I just passed halfway home.
Old 05-10-17, 05:37 PM
tandempower

It's not just the time, it's the stuff; I don't want to leave panniers full of WalMart purchases outside (or even in the entry area) of Big Lots for 20-30 minutes while I shop there, nor do I want to ride home to unload and then go back to a store I just passed halfway home.
That's another reason I like one-stop shopping.
Old 05-13-17, 12:54 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I hope you can find a work-around, if you want to be carfree or carlight.

Have you ever had anything stolen? In many years of carfree shopping, I had one bike stolen while I was in the downtown library. I had one tire taco'd while I was in a bookstore near a big university campus. Otherwise, no theft or vandalism. For me, the monetary value of my losses was small compared to the many advantages of carfree shopping.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-13-17, 06:30 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

My approach to theft has mainly been to ride cheap bikes, bought used for $200 - $250. Ironically, the last bike I had stolen (2005) was new and cost $450, and I was sorry I bought it, so I was both peeved I got robbed, and slightly pleased that they took my least favorite. I have had lights stolen off my bike so I always take anything detachable with me, and one time I'm pretty sure someone flipped the lever on my quick release hub and my wheel could have fallen off, so give your bike a quick look over after its been out for a while. Still, these are rare incidents in 25 years of commuting. In my case I save something like $600 dollars a year on the next least expensive form of commuting - public transit - so I could lose a couple of bikes a year, instead of less than one per decade, and still come out way ahead.
Old 05-14-17, 02:44 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I hope you can find a work-around, if you want to be carfree or carlight.
Meh; I'd still call it car light if I made the car trips into trips the bike isn't practical for and maximized them. For example, stopping at several stores on one loop and buying all the bulky stuff that isn't easy to handle on the bike like 36+ roll packs of toilet paper.

Have you ever had anything stolen?
I've had things disappear that I didn't notice were gone until later. I suppose it's possible some of them fell off the rack or out of bags, but I'm generally pretty good about making sure everything is attached well. The other drawback there is that the most expensive/highest theft risk items are the ones that come from the stores that are farthest out. Of course, that means I could hit them last, but that means hauling everything from the closer stores an extra couple of miles over the bigger hills.
Old 05-14-17, 04:43 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've stopped at walmart roughly weekly for several years and leave my trailer hooked up with a simple velcro cover securing the food I'm bringing home from the farmer's market. I go in and shop for 10-30 minutes and nobody messes with my stuff. I often have lunch at the Subway inside.

The bicycle is locked to a rack in a high traffic zone. Most people just don't want to be discovered stealing stuff with no good place to run but heading thru the parking lot. Walmart has greeters, people gathering carts, one or two security guards on duty, at least one if not more in a line of sight to my stuff. I'm familiar to them also.

If my stuff ever gets ripped off I may re-evaluate. But I can afford to take the risk which is obviously not all that significant. I prefer the convenience I'm afforded by not guarding against the worst case scenario every friggin day of my life. I usually make a third stop at Aldi's on the way home and again leave my bike and trailer secured in a conspicuous area right outside the door. Never a problem.

Of course if you're an a-hole you might not want to depend on the kindness of others (karma and all).

Last edited by Walter S; 05-14-17 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 12:41 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Meh; I'd still call it car light if I made the car trips into trips the bike isn't practical for and maximized them. For example, stopping at several stores on one loop and buying all the bulky stuff that isn't easy to handle on the bike like 36+ roll packs of toilet paper.

I've had things disappear that I didn't notice were gone until later. I suppose it's possible some of them fell off the rack or out of bags, but I'm generally pretty good about making sure everything is attached well. The other drawback there is that the most expensive/highest theft risk items are the ones that come from the stores that are farthest out. Of course, that means I could hit them last, but that means hauling everything from the closer stores an extra couple of miles over the bigger hills.
I think sometimes we have to do things differently if we're carfree.

If I bought a few high price things from Store A I would put them in my backpack and carry them with me while I shopped in Store B.

I might buy smaller packs of toilet paper, even if it meant spending a couple nickels more. I have often hung 6-packs of toilet paper off my handlebars for the ride home. They are bulky but light and soft, so they don't hurt if they bang against your knees a bit.

I did belong to a warehouse store (Sam's Club) for years while I was carfree. I often rode my bike there for smaller items like clothing and vitamins. I also had an arrangement with a friend's family. They drove me to Sam's every couple months. They would shop for what they wanted, then pay for it on my membership. That way, they didn't have to pay the annual membership fee. And I got a free ride so I could pick up the bulky items every so often.

And sometimes you just have to accept that there are places you can't shop because you don't have a car. Unfortunately, we live in a car-addicted society. Some retail chains like to locate in the outer fringes in order to save money on real estate and taxes. These chains often have sweetheart deals with local politicians that border on corruption. In many cases, Walmart in particular has closed a store, then opened a new one a couple miles further out. They save enough money on taxes to cover the expense of building a new store! And we accept it because we have been totally brainwashed into thinking that this endless sprawl type of development is normal.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-15-17, 08:58 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I bought a few high price things from Store A I would put them in my backpack and carry them with me while I shopped in Store B.
When I lived in Dallas, there were a lot of stores that wouldn't allow any sort of backpack inside, and wouldn't put it behind the counter, either.

Some retail chains like to locate in the outer fringes in order to save money on real estate and taxes.
On big ticket items, it can make a major difference; you see a lot of car and heavy equipment dealerships just outside the city limits because in TX, the cities can (and usually do) charge their own 2% sales tax on top of the state's 6.25%. On a $50k purchase, that's a $1,000 tax savings. (And actually, at least picking up heavy equipment from repair is something I've found the bike handy for; ride over, strap it on the loader bucket or telehandler forks and drive back to the site.) Of course, on smaller purchases, convenience outweighs the 2% savings, but some retailers are also avoiding other city issues, like signage ordinances, high-fee permits that are essentially back door taxation, or zoning restrictions.
Old 05-15-17, 06:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
When I lived in Dallas, there were a lot of stores that wouldn't allow any sort of backpack inside, and wouldn't put it behind the counter, either.

Why no backpacks ??..What's all the paranoia about ??....Personally I would refuse to shop at any store which doesn't allow me to come in with my backpack.
Old 05-16-17, 08:40 AM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Why no backpacks ??..What's all the paranoia about ??....Personally I would refuse to shop at any store which doesn't allow me to come in with my backpack.
Theft, they claim. Of course, women with purses the size of a footlocker were allowed to wander the aisles freely.
Old 05-17-17, 06:52 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Most of my shopping is walking distance. On the weekends I load up a hand-truck with a few cases of fruits and veggies at the local produce markets.

Yesterday I rode 17km to a restaurant supply place to get some goodies.
Old 05-17-17, 06:54 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
When someone at a shop asks me to leave my backpack with someone who isn't paying attention, I just give them a very puzzled "are you stupid?" look and ask them: "If you can't stop someone from walking out of here with your merchandise, how can you stop someone from walking out of here with my bag?"
Old 05-28-17, 04:21 AM
5MilesLater

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty lucky - there's a QFC -exactly- 1 mile from my apartment. Sadly, no bike racks, and a good chunk of the road is under construction, so you have to either ride on the sidewalk, or take to the road to get there.
Also, QFC tends to be both smaller selection and pricier than my usual Fred-Meyer.... but Fred Meyer is at least 4 miles away - mostly trail but some roads & stop sign crossings). I think there's a Target that's closer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.