Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 01:09 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3361 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Interesting. Since the 17th, I had done nothing but Zwifting, and while I am okay with that, I realized yesterday that it's only on the road that I feel in love with the bike. A couple real world miles on the newly-recabled Bianchi and I was thinking, "Yeah, THIS is why I have this bike!", whereas on the trainer, it's just a tool. I don't feel any real connection. It could be anything. So I, too, start idly noodling on the idea of updating it to 11 speeds, when I'm on the trainer. On the road, it just feels right.
I haven't ridden my SLT outside since late December. I've got it in my head that the overall condition of the chrome makes it too precious to ride outside when there's a bunch of salt all over the roads - and when things just sit idly I can't help wanting to tinker with them.
Old 02-01-21, 01:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Imagine anything else posted in this thread being scrutinized as much as what I said about Everesting. SMH.
Silly mouse, that should tell you something. Your flippancy landed in the meaty part of the scrutiny bell curve. More obvious or more silly wouldn't have raised (m)any eyebrows.
Old 02-01-21, 01:15 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I can try. I only have "throttle body" cleaner that is close enough?
Does it have a paper air filter? Have you tried with the filter off? I have a lawnmower that would run for a bit, stop and not restart. Turns out the filter got wet in the rain and clogged.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 02-01-21, 01:16 PM
WhyFi

Since I lost all that weight, I tend to weigh myself semi-obsessively. Generally at least once on days I ride, often a before and after. And I've been in the 205-208 range for about two months now. So imagine my surprise when the scale said 212 yesterday before my ride! Two Hundred Twelve? How'd I get to THAT from 208 on Friday evening? I didn't eat enough to gain FOUR POUNDS in two days!

Post ride, it was 209. This morning, 208 again, and this was after eating and drinking a pretty normal amount. I'm starting to think there was something off about that one reading.
You'll get those occasionally. Eating ramen seems to inflate my weight for a couple days. I would assume that it's related to water retention, but it always goes back down, so I've never been overly concerned.

FWIW, I only weigh myself in the mornings, post-poop, pre-ride. Seems to be the most consistent.
Old 02-01-21, 01:23 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts

Put this on craigslist this morning. Tried selling the bass last year didn’t have any bites hopefully with the Amp to somebody will be interested.

Bought both around the same time 8 years ago or so. Have probably played both for less than 10 hours.

Last edited by bampilot06; 02-01-21 at 01:43 PM.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-01-21, 01:23 PM
WhyFi

I used to be able to ride in the mornings. Now it takes too long for me to go through all the things I need to do to hit the road before it's already too late in the morning.
If I'm riding early in the morning, I take care of as much as I can before going to bed the night before.

In general, I like to get out before 9am or so, if it's to be anything more than a piddly 20-30 miles. Once it gets to 11am or so, it's not likely that I'll get out for a ride at all, unless it's an evening group ride.
Old 02-01-21, 01:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You'll get those occasionally. Eating ramen seems to inflate my weight for a couple days. I would assume that it's related to water retention, but it always goes back down, so I've never been overly concerned.
Maybe the lunches with a lot of dry salami and pickles were to blame. But we were all out of peanut butter and bread!

FWIW, I only weigh myself in the mornings, post-poop, pre-ride. Seems to be the most consistent.
Me too. Also handy because it's one of the few times during the day when I don't have a stitch of clothing on. I also weigh post-ride a lot to get a handle on how much I'm perspiring. Even drinking about a pint of water, the average 60-90 minute Zwift session has me down 1-2 lbs. I suppose I could just weigh the towels I put over the bike.....

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-01-21, 01:25 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Not LPLO but I can't get to the last 2 pages of the thread. Weird.
Old 02-01-21, 01:32 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Originally Posted by bampilot06
Put this on craigslist this morning. Tried selling the bass last year didn’t have any bites hopefully with the Amp to somebody will be interested.
Nice. Two brands I've always wanted to try out.

I've been procrastinating with listing my bass cabinet on CL. Just need to do some minor soldering but I just can't find the motivation to do it.
Old 02-01-21, 01:35 PM
WhyFi

I'm cleaning out the office in prep for moving out of our current bedroom. I've already got a small pile of things that need to be listed on CL: photo printer, wheels (after trainer season), a couple watches, a NIB sauce pan, an axle for wheel-on trainers, etc.
Old 02-01-21, 01:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by WhyFi
If I'm riding early in the morning, I take care of as much as I can before going to bed the night before.
Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I'm what you might call a Regular Guy, but it depends on coffee.

In general, I like to get out before 9am or so, if it's to be anything more than a piddly 20-30 miles. Once it gets to 11am or so, it's not likely that I'll get out for a ride at all, unless it's an evening group ride.
If I can't hit the road by 8, it's too late. Before COVID, it was 7:30, because if I left the house AFTER 7:30, I'd have to fight my way through all the Volvos, minivans, and SUVs dropping kids off at schools. I live right by the Alamada de las Pulgas (Avenue of the Fleas), but it really should be Alameda de las Escuelas e Iglesias (Avenue of the Schools and Churches).

Old 02-01-21, 01:39 PM
WhyFi

Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I'm what you might call a Regular Guy, but it depends on coffee.
Ah - that!

Yeah, my really early rides are <20 miles and I'll take care of coffee and bowel business afterwards. For longer rides, yeah, I'll need a half hour to take care of that stuff before rollout.
Old 02-01-21, 01:41 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Since I lost all that weight, I tend to weigh myself semi-obsessively..
Why? I don't even have a scale. A fun game is to guess how much I weigh when I go to the witch doctor.
Originally Posted by abshipp
Today is warm (32°F)
wut
I can try. I only have "throttle body" cleaner that is close enough?
In the time you've spent messing with the machine you could have shoveled everything and gotten exercise.
Old 02-01-21, 01:42 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Does it have a paper air filter? Have you tried with the filter off? I have a lawnmower that would run for a bit, stop and not restart. Turns out the filter got wet in the rain and clogged.
No air filter that I can see.
Old 02-01-21, 01:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

In the time you've spent messing with the machine you could have shoveled everything and gotten exercise.
Bite me, mousie-boy. I have arthritis in my wrists and a 55 year old back. Heavy snow shoveling is best left to the young-uns.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-01-21, 01:48 PM
bampilot06

On another fun note, I think my heat just passed away.

Currently 64 in the house, and the heat won’t turn on. I recycled the breaker. It came on for about 6 mins and 43 seconds give or take a second or 2 and it shut off again. My knowledge of Hvac systems is about the same as my knowledge of bikes. Non existent.

We have home warranty so made the call. Expect to hear within 24 hours from the contractor. Of course this is totally unacceptable from my wife’s POV, somebody should be here now.

It’s a Gas system (90 percent sure, don’t judge me). Any of you gents want to drop some knowledge?
Old 02-01-21, 01:50 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Why? I don't even have a scale. A fun game is to guess how much I weigh when I go to the witch doctor.
Because when I see my weight under 210, it makes me feel good about myself, and if I see it starting to creep up I know I've been slacking off. Plus the knowledge that I can easily balloon back up to 235 if I don't pay attention.

Old 02-01-21, 01:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
Bite me, mousie-boy. I have arthritis in my wrists and a 55 year old back. Heavy snow shoveling is best left to the young-uns.
Yep. That's why I finally bought mine. I have a gal on one side, some oldsters on the other, so their walks get done too. I'm getting to be an oldster too, so I figured it's time.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 02-01-21, 01:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Currently 64 in the house, and the heat won’t turn on. I recycled the breaker. It came on for about 6 mins and 43 seconds give or take a second or 2 and it shut off again. My knowledge of Hvac systems is about the same as my knowledge of bikes. Non existent.

We have home warranty so made the call. Expect to hear within 24 hours from the contractor. Of course this is totally unacceptable from my wife’s POV, somebody should be here now.

It’s a Gas system (90 percent sure, don’t judge me). Any of you gents want to drop some knowledge?
We are starting our 4th month without heat, since our furnace failed to fire up back at the beginning of November. Of course, our here it's not life threatening. We now have a furnace, and we have ducting, and we have holes in all of our ceilings where the new registers will go. So we're CLOSE!!!! But the guys aren't coming today. They're coming tomorrow.

To be fair, the contractor told us he'd have to squeeze us into gaps in his other work, but Mrs. GeneJockey likes him and he seems more honest than the guy who was super nice and informative right up till he got our deposit check and then couldn't be bothered to answer calls or emails.

Old 02-01-21, 01:56 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. That's why I finally bought mine. I have a gal on one side, some oldsters on the other, so their walks get done too. I'm getting to be an oldster too, so I figured it's time.
My Dad bought a snowblower when I, the youngest of his 6 children, went off to college. That's also when he bought a lawn tractor with an attachment for sweeping up leaves, too.

Old 02-01-21, 01:56 PM
abshipp 

wut
Given that this coming Saturday has a forecast high temperature of 4°F, I'm calling this a warm day.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-01-21, 01:58 PM
bampilot06

We are starting our 4th month without heat, since our furnace failed to fire up back at the beginning of November. Of course, our here it's not life threatening. We now have a furnace, and we have ducting, and we have holes in all of our ceilings where the new registers will go. So we're CLOSE!!!! But the guys aren't coming today. They're coming tomorrow.

To be fair, the contractor told us he'd have to squeeze us into gaps in his other work, but Mrs. GeneJockey likes him and he seems more honest than the guy who was super nice and informative right up till he got our deposit check and then couldn't be bothered to answer calls or emails.
We have a space heater and a gas fire place. I might have to go buy another space heater for up stairs cause it’s suppose to be colder tomorrow.
Old 02-01-21, 02:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

We have a space heater and a gas fire place. I might have to go buy another space heater for up stairs cause it’s suppose to be colder tomorrow.
We've been using a pair of those oil-filled radiator-type space heaters. I put a Dyson fan behind each one, because otherwise they do a great job of heating part of the room. I basically re-invented forced air heating.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-01-21, 02:01 PM
WhyFi

There goes the N+1 bike budget.
Old 02-01-21, 02:01 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Whoa, anger management time.
Because when I see my weight under 210, it makes me feel good about myself, and if I see it starting to creep up I know I've been slacking off. Plus the knowledge that I can easily balloon back up to 235 if I don't pay attention.
Day to day weight is just random noise. Once a week is plenty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.