Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Retro roadies- old frames with STI's or Ergos

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 06:13 AM
danejules

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rgver
My latest. An 89 Fuji Roubiax frame with 8 speed 600 tricolor group.
Love it! Colors are just right. Well done!
Old 04-25-15, 04:05 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Would anyone be so kind as to recommend a Campy ergo groupset for a vintage steel build?

Things I'm looking for:
Alloy parts
A positive mechanical feel to the shifting. I've used ergo levers that either had plastic levers or just otherwise felt imprecise, flimsy and "smooshy"
Lightweight
Good looking

Athena 11 seemed like a contender, and the Ribble price is right, but a review pointed out the dreaded "plasticky" feeling downshifting.

Any fan favorites out there that meet these criteria?
Old 04-25-15, 04:18 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
First-gen 10-sp Centaur.
First-gen 10-sp Chorus.
First-gen 10-sp Athena.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 04-27-15 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 04:55 PM
R3tired

Bikes: '79 CIOCC, '80 Cinelli, '86 DeRosa, '93 Bianchi EL-OS, '13 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by delicious
Athena 11 seemed like a contender, and the Ribble price is right, but a review pointed out the dreaded "plasticky" feeling downshifting.
that is a 5 year old review which also has a PRO comment of Fast, accurate shifts.

you might want to try it before you accept some fancy reviewers comment of plastic feel. i have 2014 Athena 11 and 2014 Record 11 and the down shift buttons/levers feel the same to me. i.e., fast and accurate.
Old 04-25-15, 05:40 PM
ecsjr

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I have an 11 speed Athena group and like it a lot. Took some time to get use to it because the group I had prior to that was a 10 speed Centar. The 10 speed had much more "feel" to each shift. The 11 speed seems lighter and smoother shifting. I choose the Athena roup because it came in silver finish.

I am sure if i went back to the 10 speed, it would feel clunky now.
Old 04-25-15, 06:42 PM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
1988 Schwinn Circuit

Thanks to Iowegian for passing along this frame.

My first attempt at a modern build on 'vintage' frame.

A bit of a parts bin mixture. Came with original Sante headset. Responded to a local CL add for the period correct wheelset (Dura-Ace hubset with Mavic rims), and the seller also happened to have a Sante Breakset, go figure. The rest of the drive train is 8-spd triple, Shimano 2300 (I know, everyone else on here has 105+, but it's what I had). I think the stem/handlebars are from my '91 Schwinn LeTour.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1.jpg (98.6 KB, 359 views)
image2.jpg (98.1 KB, 423 views)
image3.jpg (98.9 KB, 361 views)
Old 04-26-15, 12:31 PM
bikebakman

Bikes: Pinarello & Concorde & Cannondale Road, Vitus Adventure, see sig.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Very nice dpicare26!

I have been reading this thread for some while now. Very nice info! I'm in the middle of collecting more modern materials for my vintage bike.

I've got almost all the hardware in house to build up my late 80's Pinarello frame. I'll use it this summer for commuting 40km a day. Just bought a complete Ultegra 6600 groupset. All I have to do is find a nice wheelset. I have been looking for some shiny, brushed, silver alluminium but it's hard to find. Most of the sets today are black.

Today I found a set of 'Fir Mast' rims with Dura Ace hubs online, in good condition. But my question is, will this fit? The Ultegra 6600 groupset is 10 speed, while these wheels are for 9 speed. I understand that "old" 9 speeds are wider than "new" 10 speeds? Will this hub work with work? Maybe with a spacer?
Also, the space between both drop outs in the rear triangle is about 123 mm. Is that enough for a 10 speed setup?
Old 04-26-15, 09:52 PM
delicious

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Thanks for your input everyone. After a bit more thinking I've decided to go 10 speed.

I'd like an alloy Record/Chorus mixed group. Let me know if anyone is trying to get rid of something like that.

This will be for a late '80s Pinarello Montello I'm restoring to use as my "serious group ride" bike. Will definitely post build pictures here.
Old 04-28-15, 05:24 AM
bikebakman

Bikes: Pinarello & Concorde & Cannondale Road, Vitus Adventure, see sig.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I initially was going to do the same, Campa Record/Chorus all the way, but I found it was hard to find a) reasonable priced hardware, b) any used, good condition hardware at all!

I bought a very nice pare of Chorus alloy brake calipers (Skeletons) but I don't have the patience to wait for the other hardware, I decided to go for Dura Ace/Ultegra instead. So I bought the groupset of Ultegra 6600. Alloy silver colored. Yesterday I got the set of wheels for a bargain, DA 7800 shiny, alloy hubs with Fir Mast rims.
I must admit that I like the looks of the Campa Chorus calipers more than the Shimano ones. I might use them on my Pinarello.

I am interested in how your bike ends up.

Last edited by bikebakman; 04-28-15 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-28-15, 09:27 PM
jaseyjase

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 16 Posts
Been my goto bike since the build 9 months ago, both for commuting and weekend loops, Di2 is too much fun

Old 04-29-15, 08:04 AM
reycer

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet ride.. I had a chance to ride Dura Ace Di on a Pinarelllo Dogma (one of those crazy opportunities)... At first skeptical but then very impressed... Must put a smile on your face when you go through the gears. I bet when you pound on the pedals...your gone!
Old 05-01-15, 07:35 AM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
^^ Cannondale means business!!

My fair-weather ride hasn't been out in anger since getting back from Mallorca last October, but I've gone back to gum walls for the new season and looking forward to a few Summer miles.

Old 05-01-15, 08:57 AM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
That's a beauty. How do you like the Clement Stradas? I've been thinking of picking up a pair.

Originally Posted by PhilPub
^^ Cannondale means business!!

My fair-weather ride hasn't been out in anger since getting back from Mallorca last October, but I've gone back to gum walls for the new season and looking forward to a few Summer miles.

Old 05-01-15, 09:21 AM
PhilPub

Bikes: Ron Cooper Columbus SL 1987, Planet X London Road

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
That's a beauty. How do you like the Clement Stradas? I've been thinking of picking up a pair.
Thanks! They're fresh on so I'll have to get back to you after a test ride. From personal reviews I've read they seem to be a good combination of a few things I'm interested in, particularly balancing puncture resistance with a good ride (and, unashamedly, good looks). So maybe not quite as supple and racy as something like Veloflex or Vittoria Open Corsa but a bit more sturdy. Also, I've always used 23c since back in the day, but now switched to 25c, hopefully making a comfortable ride even more comfortable.
Old 05-01-15, 01:21 PM
Bimdapogs

Bikes: 97 Merlin XLight, 99 Merlin XLM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It had a Mavic SSC group, now Campy Record 9 Ti.

Attached Images
Treviso.jpg (54.6 KB, 318 views)
Treviso.jpg (94.2 KB, 335 views)
Old 05-01-15, 01:34 PM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dpicare26
. The rest of the drive train is 8-spd triple, Shimano 2300 (I know, everyone else on here has 105+, but it's what I had). I
Here you go it is 2x8 (png10 1984)
Old 05-01-15, 01:37 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Originally Posted by Bimdapogs
It had a Mavic SSC group, now Campy Record 9 Ti.

I see you also replaced those quick release Pinarello decals.
Old 05-01-15, 01:58 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
I see you also replaced those quick release Pinarello decals.
Indeed! TBH, I rushed a bit in the process. On the ST, there are still shadows of the old decals if you look closely (there's a coat of pearl after the OG decals were applied - hard to remove the very thin outline). But it's not too bad so..
Old 05-01-15, 02:05 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

I think that Pin's also crying out for a Campy aero seatpost to match that sweet Record group, too.

Old 05-01-15, 02:20 PM
Bimdapogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are absolutely right and I've been thinking about that! There's this chorus aero post in the local classifieds.. Decisions..
Old 05-02-15, 04:45 PM
imjuslazy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhilPub
^ One thing I like about compact drops is that the area of bar immediately behind the hoods is also horizontal, with the hoods in the "correct" position, and I think it is this which you can't achieve with classic drops. Obviously it's personal preference as to whether you want that or not but I find when I'm resting on the hoods, this flat area is more comfortable for the fat paddy bottom of the palm that's just in front of the wrist, compared to the slight downward slope of the classic bars as shown above, e.g.:

(I've since angled the bars back by a degree or two, so the top of the hoods is ever so slightly closer to horizontal.)
What degree is that nitto dynamic? 72? I'm looking to purchase the same one. If anyone can PM the answer I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-02-15, 05:02 PM
Jaredn

Bikes: 2021 Rock Lobster Steel "All-Road" // 1989 Eddy Merckx Century TSX "Team Motorola" // 1995 Eddy Merckx Arcobaleno

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is mine, I just finished building it. I've been riding a 2010 spec secteur elite compact with a 105 group since Jan (when i started). i can't believe how much more i love riding this bike.

Full list: Late 80's early 90's Merckx Corsa Extra (57cm top tube), early-mid 2000's Campagnolo Record Titanium Carbon (compact "ct" crankset and FD, RD, shifters/brake levers), Campy Chorus 10sp cassette, Campy Record headset, Campy Record Titanium brakes, older Campy Aero seatpost, new Cineli 1A stem, new Cineli Giro D'Italia bars, Mavic cosmic elite wheelset, Fizik Ardea saddle, Fizik soft touch bar tape, Michelin Krylion Carbon tires, Jagwire cables, Wipperman chain, Look KEO cardon pedals

Old 05-02-15, 07:25 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 610 Posts
Nicely done!

Originally Posted by Jaredn
Here is mine, I just finished building it. i can't believe how much more i love riding this bike.

Old 05-02-15, 08:20 PM
D1andonlyDman

Bikes: mid 1980s De Rosa SL, 1985 Tommasini Super Prestige all Campy SR, 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1998 Trek Y-foil, 2006 Schwinn Super Sport GS, 2006 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My Newest Build: 1992 Paramount PDG Series 7 with 9x3 drivetrain, featuring a tripleized Campy Record crankset, DuraAce 9-speed indexed downtube shifters, and Randonneur bars.

This came about when a local craigslist seller put this frame, in exactly my size, up for sale at a screaming bargain price, because he had had foot surgery and would be a long time away from riding. The frame is a beautiful steel frame made for Schwinn by Panasonic out of Tange Oversize Prestige tubing. I decided to build this up as a wide range 9x3 because I could get both tight spacing and some nice hill gears, which are definitely desirable in northern San Diego, I debated whether to go with brifters, or downtube index shifters, and went the downtube route for a few main reasons: 1st, I have found that on long rides, my hands tend to get numb with brifters because I hardly ever change hand positions, and 2nd, I wanted to go with friction shifting on the front triple, and finally, I couldn't find a nice set of Shimano brifters at a reasonable cost above Sora grade that supported a front triple, and ChainReaction cycles had a good price on the Shimano 7700 9-speed Index downtube levers.

The wheels were just some that I had lying around, and I might change the front wheel to a lighter, lower spoke count aero wheel. I finished the build on Thursday night, and took it out for some short shakedown rides to get the brakes and gearing adjusted yesterday morning. I then took it out for about 15 miles later yesterday, and another 25 mile ride today. In short, I LOVE this bike, especially the gearing set-up, which is a real Frankenbike combo of a Campy Record crank using Willow tripleized 51-39-29 chainrings, an SRAM 12-26 cassette (I may change to a Shimano 12-27 that I have on another wheel), an SRAM 8-speed chain which, experience had told me worked really well on a Shimano 9-speed setup, Ultegra 6703 front triple derailleur and a new Sora 9-speed rear derailleur, which was basically a throw-in on a ChainReaction Cycles order to get it above $99 for free shipping. I was originally going to put a used Ultegra 6700 rear derailleur that I had in my spare parts bin on this build, but when the Sora derailleur arrived, visual examination revealed it to clearly be functionally identical to the Ultegra 5700, and I mounted the new Sora RD instead of the Ultegra, because it looks sharp in black, whereas my used Ultegra 6700 is cosmetically not as nice. And BTW, the Sora RD shifts perfectly with the DuraAce downtube shifters.

The SR Randonneur bars and quill stem are a set I had sitting in a parts bin for 25 years that I had taken off of an older bike that I used to ride across the U.S. 35 years ago.

After a couple of rides with around 40 miles on this bike, I flat out love it. The frame is at least as responsive as my Tommasini SLX frame, and it's a hair lighter as well. And the franken-drivetrain is just fantastic.
Attached Images
ParamountPDG.jpg (106.0 KB, 840 views)
ParPDG-randbar.jpg (99.6 KB, 813 views)
ParPDG-CampyTr.jpg (104.2 KB, 813 views)

Last edited by D1andonlyDman; 05-02-15 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-03-15, 09:16 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've upgraded my Miele Latina "road issue" to suit my riding style a bit more than the old tri-color crank I was running. I originally built it up with NOS 6400 hubs laced to mavic open pros and NOS 9 speed ultegra shifters, with the idea of upgrading to a triple and 6500 shifters place nicely with the triple. The front derailleur is IRD alpina and the crank is a sugino xd-600 so I still have tall enough gears I can push on downhills or when I have tailwinds. I also did a stem swap and put a Nitto Technomic Deluxe in place of the longer/shorter Italian stem that was on there and my hands don't hurt anymore so I'm pretty pleased with all the changes I've made to this bike. It's served me well so far this season, I've done 2 200K brevets on it and a couple metric centuries as well. I'm probably gonna use it for a 300km next week. I also put my magnesium bmx pedals on this bike since I can't handle the clipless thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.