Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do I do -- almost lost my life

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 07:41 AM
rrg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Post removed.

Last edited by rrg; 03-17-15 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-25-12, 07:47 AM
SkippyX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy Mackerel.

Time for a concealed carry permit.
Old 08-25-12, 07:50 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Close calls were much more common several years ago here in Indy. Now we have several more bike lanes and drivers are more aware. But...I think there are still some things we can do ourselves. We I start getting buzzed more often it is usually be cause I am too for to the right in the lane. If you stay on the far right tire rut people dont think you "want" to share the lane with them. If you give them almost enogh room to get by they try to. And get awful close sometimes. I also have altered my route several times to avoid extremely dangerous intersections. OF course, people getting out of their car and beating you is a bit over the top. It sounds like we probably should discuss this further.
Old 08-25-12, 08:02 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
i would move. honestly.
Old 08-25-12, 08:08 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wow... sure you can't take an alternate route? Maybe change the time you're riding? Are you hitting peak rush hour? My sympathies... getting knocked unconscious is no fun.
Old 08-25-12, 08:10 AM
making
Super Moderator

Yea, I have been knocked out a couple of times, I was normal before that. But I do think we might be able to help rrg out some. Have you considered reworking your route? Can you tell us more?
Originally Posted by Ozonation
Wow... sure you can't take an alternate route? Maybe change the time you're riding? Are you hitting peak rush hour? My sympathies... getting knocked unconscious is no fun.
Old 08-25-12, 08:14 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
i would move. honestly.
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000
Old 08-25-12, 08:20 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I second the concealed carry permit, just make sure if you go that route you get some quality training as well.

Police are generally worthless when it comes to helping cyclists, drivers are not aggressive here but bike theft is horrible. I know people who found their bike locked inside a fenced in yard, called the police and they just told them they are not coming.

I would also look for an additional route, even if it is longer but you may have already tried that. People in the south generally do not handle cyclists well and get pissy whenever someone challenges their car based lifestyle, it is part of why I moved out of TN and that was not even the deep south like you are in.

I have seen some commuters mount a go-pro camera on their bike for video evidence when people run them off the road, etc.

Either way good luck to you.
Old 08-25-12, 08:29 AM
acidfast7
Banned

i still think moving is a viable option. cycling in the southern US is hard compared to the northeast (ME/NH/MA/VT), in my experience.

you'll be fighting an uphill battle the whole way, which you may/may not want to do.

what's keeping where you are anyway?
Old 08-25-12, 08:37 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
I second the concealed carry permit, just make sure if you go that route you get some quality training as well.

Police are generally worthless when it comes to helping cyclists, drivers are not aggressive here but bike theft is horrible. I know people who found their bike locked inside a fenced in yard, called the police and they just told them they are not coming.

I would also look for an additional route, even if it is longer but you may have already tried that. People in the south generally do not handle cyclists well and get pissy whenever someone challenges their car based lifestyle, it is part of why I moved out of TN and that was not even the deep south like you are in.

I have seen some commuters mount a go-pro camera on their bike for video evidence when people run them off the road, etc.

Either way good luck to you.
How does concealed carry keep people from buzzing or harassing you? The only time it helps is when things have already gotten waaaaaay beyond what I would consider tolerable. Can't imagine it would make the OPs commute any more enjoyable.

I've never been much for cameras, but in the OP's situation it might help. That I agree with.
Old 08-25-12, 08:38 AM
SweetLou

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why the recommendation for a concealed carry permit? Wouldn't open carry be more of a deterrent?
Old 08-25-12, 08:41 AM
making
Super Moderator

I think a 12ga pump slung over your back would give a motorist about to buzz you pause, but to avoid getting this thread sent to P&R or trollheim maybe we should work on other resolutions. Do we have any other commuters in his area? Are they dealing with the same sorts of porblems?
Originally Posted by SweetLou
Why the recommendation for a concealed carry permit? Wouldn't open carry be more of a deterrent?
Old 08-25-12, 08:52 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Fit a video camera to your helmet and start filing assault charges.
If someone beats you up and "nothing can be done" then you need to talk to some cops who will listen, do you have cycle patrol cops. Challenge the professionalism of the cops for not acting, they hate that.

If someone starts following you, double back and you force him to stop if he wants some action. Go slow enough so you are not running away. You have siezed the initiative and he is now reacting. Then force him to walk a distance from his vehicle, maybe 50m before he can address you. You have eliminated a "self defence" as a reason to beat on you
Then keep a shackle lock handy on the top of your rack. I was taught to strike the lower leg from knee to ankle in a low passing strike. Aim high as a diversion but duck and hit low. Use the bike as a fence if you want to be more defensive, this has worked for me once.

Open carry may bring out the southern gentleman in passing motorists.

Last edited by MichaelW; 08-25-12 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-25-12, 09:06 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by MichaelW
Fit a video camera to your helmet and start filing assault charges.
Talk to cycle cops rather than desk jockeys.

Wear the right colours on your jersey, NRA, Marine Corps, local football team, even a POLITE notice.
These are some really good ideas.

In the OP's case a GoPro cam is not a bad idea. If the Police prove ineffective again, which sounds like it may happen based on the OP's report, mailing the video the local/state news agencies will get a lot of attention (both good and bad).

Maybe you need a combined "We Support Our Troops" / NRA cycling jersey.
Old 08-25-12, 09:16 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
How does concealed carry keep people from buzzing or harassing you? The only time it helps is when things have already gotten waaaaaay beyond what I would consider tolerable. Can't imagine it would make the OPs commute any more enjoyable.

I've never been much for cameras, but in the OP's situation it might help. That I agree with.
It won't stop people from buzzing him. For that he needs an alternate route - and all that will do is reduce the number of people buzzing him.

I was referring to the lunatic that beat the OP unconscious and the nut that chased him through city traffic.

If people want to shout obscenities at me that's just fine. It means nothing to me. "So's your mother" is a fine response. I can think of a bunch of others - and I use them on the "tour de **** ***".

The OP was talking about people attempting to cause him serious bodily harm and one guy who actually did kick the living stuffing out of him. I have a right to live my life w/out fear of such things. If someone decides that he's going to attack me, I have a right to take any and all means available to me to protect life and limb.

If the OP had simply shot the guy that chased him down and beat him senseless he'd have done society a favor. If the police in his area were even remotely interested in taking care of situations like this it would be a different story. However, since those put in place by society to protect society seem disinterested in doing their jobs, it's up to us to protect ourselves.

I would feel bad for the families and friends of someone who got shot under such circumstances, but I'd have no pity whatsoever for the guy shot under these circumstances.
Old 08-25-12, 09:19 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrg
I am at a loss -- I'm almost hit every day I commute. I've yelled at drivers, have a loud horn on my bike, but the last time I yelled at a driver he chased me for 10 min. in full traffic -- people were stopping to stare. He threw things at me, tried to hit me, and kept yelling he was going to kill you "you MFer!"

So what do you when a driver almost pushes you off the road? Or buzzes you at 50 miles an hour?

This week an angry driver caught me, got out of his car, and assaulted me. Police were called because he left me unconcious in the road. Nothing could be done, police said.

I got on my bike again the next day, and sure enough almost hit again on way home. I'm a safe rider, not aggressive, wait at stop lights, even at stop signs. I do take the lane on 4-lane roads but not on 2-lane, and I have about 1 miles of those.

I've been hit by a car, called police, and the response, "What did you do to make them mad?" So calling the police is a waste of time, to me.

Just looking for help. Thanks to all.

Move away from the south. Seriously.
Old 08-25-12, 09:21 AM
ricardoespsanto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learn a martial art. Besides allowing you to defend yourself better it will teach you self control so you will remain calm when everything around you is in flames
Old 08-25-12, 09:23 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Move away from the south. Seriously.
+1
Old 08-25-12, 09:29 AM
SkippyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricardoespsanto
Learn a martial art. Besides allowing you to defend yourself better it will teach you self control so you will remain calm when everything around you is in flames
That will help. My brother studied the martial arts for years and was certainly proficient. I would not have wanted to become involved in an altercation w/ him. He could have kicked my head back so far I would have looked like a Pez dispenser.

But, you have to admit that becoming proficient takes time.

You tube vid: Shaolin vs. Gangsta (WARNING - language inappropriate for the youngsters)

The OP shouldn't have to wait several years to feel safe while riding around his town.
Old 08-25-12, 10:12 AM
Ubik

Bikes: ~1984 Nishiki Road Master, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow OP, that's some insane drivers. Last week I was purposely cut off in a curve by a sport Mercedes, the driver wanted me to crash into his door, very scary and totally unprovoked from any sane point of view. I felt very intimidated but flipped him off and quickly went the other way, like you say the police don't care and this driver obviously wanted to make a scene on my behalf.

I have also considered buying a bike camera (Contour HD or GoPro), it seems like the only way to prove what happened when a bicyclist meet disbelief and blame after accidents, and I'd sure like to send a video of some of my city's taxi drivers to their employers. Also a good way of catching car registration plates. If only I could afford one.
Old 08-25-12, 10:16 AM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you get some reporter interested? If he/she rides with you, this may get some publicity and that might help. A TV reporter would be better than a newspaper reporter, I think.
Old 08-25-12, 10:16 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg

I've been hit by a car, called police, and the response, "What did you do to make them mad?" So calling the police is a waste of time, to me.

Just looking for help. Thanks to all.

Sad to hear that type of response from a dispatcher, especially when it involved a collision. As long as you're a resident of the area, I'd still call law enforcement regardless of what response that you might receive, at least your incident is recorded. Add one or two video cams to your bicycle accessory list, get a cam or cams with the best resolution that you can afford, since the more info that you can gather and report to law enforcement, the greater the chance that you might have in resolving/recording your current dilemma.

With video cams on board, motorists still tend to cause the same issues while they are at speed, but at signal lights and stop signs, motorists seem to be a little more savvy at spotting a lens pointing back at them, since incidents at these locations have dropped tremendously after I installed them.
Old 08-25-12, 11:28 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rrg
The man who knocked me unconscious went wild when I followed him to his house after he almost collided with me on a right turn -- within just inches.
Following an individual motorist to his house to give him a piece of your mind is always a BIG mistake and is likely to provoke or escalate a bad situation as the OP has sadly learned. This new information provided by the OP is presumably the answer to the police dispatcher's question "What did you do to make them mad?", at least in this specific case.
Old 08-25-12, 12:03 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Following an individual motorist to his house to give him a piece of your mind is always a BIG mistake and is likely to provoke or escalate a bad situation as the OP has sadly learned. This new information provided by the OP is presumably the answer to the police dispatcher's question "What did you do to make them mad?", at least in this specific case.
gotta agree.

this is either total naïvety or not the full story.

for one, how does someone follow a motorist to their house? either the incident happens extremely close to the motorist's house, the OP lives in the middle of nowhere (i.e. in the countryside where like 3 people live on a dirt road), or the speed limit is 20 mph all the way between the incident and the motorist's house.
Old 08-25-12, 12:40 PM
PaleoFloridian

Bikes: Madsen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lot of South hatin going on in this thread. You'd think Robert E. Lee had risen from the grave and attacked this cyclist to hear some of the responses.

NRA, marine corps tshirts? Really? OP probably would do better with a TuPac tshirt and a Rasta tam.

rrg needs to change his route, his rig, and strap a baseball bat to the handle bars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.