Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Article on Bicycling.com: Perhaps we are taking this strava thing too far

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Article on Bicycling.com: Perhaps we are taking this strava thing too far

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 12:11 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
Strava for bikes doesn't strike us as ludicrous immediately because we think of bikes as far less dangerous than cars.
How so? The vast majority of people seem to think that riding a bike on a road with a car is extremely dangerous, but they don't think of driving that way.

Good thing I don't do Strava. Every day as I commute, I break the speed limit by at least 10mph including in the dark and the wet. On a good day, that differential can exceed 20mph. If I received idiotic emails from Strava, it might provoke me into riding faster than I should. No telling what it would do for other non Strava users who like to bomb down hills.
Old 10-21-13, 12:14 PM
DaveWC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
I am pretty sure the former does not imply the latter. Your use of "breakneck" as an adjective undermines your otherwise high minded argument. What you have is a bunch of disconnected items you support attempting to be tied together by using an analogy you state up front is not applicable. This is a politician's argument. Try again.

Also, I don't think we have determined whether a "Strava for cars" would be legal or not. It doesn't exist, never has, so we don't really get to assume this as a point of fact, no?
Speaking of political arguments, I love how you parse words instead of discussing concepts. I don't believe I've discussed the legality of a Strava for Cars, I've asked whether it would be acceptable to the public at large. You're right, we have not determined whether it would be acceptable to members on this site as those that support Strava won't discuss whether they would support a Strava for Cars. Instead they do as you do and parse words and nibble at the edges trying to explain why a Strava for Cars isn't comparable. It's funny to answer the question "Would a Strava for Cars be acceptable?" with "It doesn't exist". It's a form of bloviating, speaking of political methods of arguing.

As far as word parsing goes, I figured breakneck was a reasonable term given the outcome of the two cyclists discussed in the article being discussed. I can live with the idea that you think it undermines my argument. Your earlier reference to The Amazing Race made me think I was arguing with my teen. The idea that Strava for Cars could be comparable to a highly produced/directed tv show where multitudes of cameras are following one or two dozen people through a city that has has no doubt been warned that filming will occur, permits have been approved & attained etc. is pretty funny. You do realize that these reality "stars" don't race through town with a GoPro attached to their heads right? Great analogy though... it really stands up.
Old 10-21-13, 12:18 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 283 Posts
Sure, but the analogy is only as strong as it's weakest fit. And we most certainly enact safety laws with regard to various vehicles. Trucks are given many more restrictions (i.e. lane use and highway speed being two of the better know). Motorcycles are afforded more freedoms (no seatbelts, no crush zones, the ability to lane split in several states). Bicycles are generally afforded even more freedoms.

So, sure, I can see the similarities. But if you are arguing that "if in this case, then in the other", the argument is only as strong as its weakest comparison. I am telling you how the comparison is weak. To convince me of your argument, you'll have to turn me on the relevance of these weaknesses, not the relevance of the strengths.
And from the land of Oblama, Illinois DOES NOT require a motorcyclist to wear a helmet, but FINES any passenger in a car or truck for not wearing a seat belt!

Anyhow, back to comparisons: So a ski resort builds a half pipe ENCOURAGING radical launches. One's unlucky day results in a broken neck. Who's at fault?
Old 10-21-13, 12:22 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
Speaking of political arguments, I love how you parse words instead of discussing concepts. ...
Deflection much?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-21-13, 12:24 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I assumed none of us assumed we could convince each other to change our opinions. Did you think you could change mine?
I doubt you'll change your mind. Fortunately, I don't really care, since the court decision is in favor of my opinion.
Old 10-21-13, 12:26 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

Anyhow, back to comparisons: So a ski resort builds a half pipe ENCOURAGING radical launches. One's unlucky day results in a broken neck. Who's at fault?
Usually a release is signed. If the half pipe is in keeping with normal half pipes, guy-who-breaks neck is at fault. If the half pipe were not in keeping with normal half pipe construction, then maybe the the ski resort.

In any case, Strava publishes and rank orders words on the internet (and, yes, sends, some words out to people via email). How does this compare with building and maintaining a half pipe?
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 10-21-13, 12:27 PM
DaveWC

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Deflection much?
Pot, meet kettle. The majority of what you post is deflection. The quote you gave was an example of a discussion of your deflection so your response is pure gold.
Old 10-21-13, 12:30 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Usually a release is signed. If the half pipe is in keeping with normal half pipes, guy-who-breaks neck is at fault. If the half pipe were not in keeping with normal half pipe construction, then maybe the the ski resort.

In any case, Strava publishes and rank orders words on the internet (and, yes, sends, some words out to people via email). How does this compare with building and maintaining a half pipe?
NO RELEASE is signed. Let's look at another scenario. Go to Jackson Hole and jump into the marked and defined run where Corbet's Couloir is a stoopido badge of honor for many. Pick any day and the volume of those DARING a peer is overheard over and over and over. Look at the y-tube vids as evidence and bodies coming out of there busted up.

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-21-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:32 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You're trying to add intent that wasn't in my post. ...
But these are your words, yes?

Here is the full quote:
Analogies work the other way. They are useful because of their similarities, not their differences. The similarity (bikes and cars can kill others when operated dangerously) is sufficient to make the comparison. We can all see the differences, but that single similarity is critical. We enact safety laws to reduce that danger, regardless of vehicle type. We see the folly of a Strava for cars, and given the similar potential for harm, we can see a reasonable ground for viewing Strava for bikes in a similar light.
You are arguing the analogy is relevant because [if] "we enact safety laws... regardless of vehicle type..." (we don't, as I have illustrated) "...[w]e see the folly of a Strava for cars..." (the analogy) "...and given the similar potential for harm..." [then] "...we can see a reasonable ground for viewing Strava for bikes in a similar light." (presumably banning or severely restricting the service).

What am I missing here regarding "intent" of your statement?

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 10-21-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:33 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveWC
Pot, meet kettle. The majority of what you post is deflection. The quote you gave was an example of a discussion of your deflection so your response is pure gold.
Good, we are talking about pot and kettles now.
Old 10-21-13, 12:34 PM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
How so? The vast majority of people seem to think that riding a bike on a road with a car is extremely dangerous, but they don't think of driving that way.
Dangerous to others. The cars are dangerous to others (like bicyclists).
Old 10-21-13, 12:35 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
NO RELEASE is signed. Let's look at another scenario. Go to Jackson Hole and jump into the marked and defined run where Corbet's Couloir is a stoopido badge of honor for many.
I have no clue what these things are...
Old 10-21-13, 12:37 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But these are your words, yes?

Here is the full quote:

You are arguing the analogy is relevant because [if] "we enact safety laws... regardless of vehicle type" (we don't, as I have illustrated). "We see the folly of a Strava for cars..." (the analogy) "...and given the similar potential for harm..." [then] "...we can see a reasonable ground for viewing Strava for bikes in a similar light." (presumably banning or severely restricting the service).

What am I missing here regarding "intent" of your statement?
You're adding intent that simple isn't there. I'm not advocating banning or restricting Strava. How many times do I have to say that?

Read my words. Trust that they are all I am saying and no more. I have no hidden agenda.

When I say "We enact safety laws to reduce that danger, regardless of vehicle type" I don't mean we enact identical safety laws. If I had meant that I would have said it. The laws are clearly different for different vehicle types, but we enact laws anyway.
Old 10-21-13, 12:40 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You're adding intent that simple isn't there. I'm not advocating banning or restricting Strava. How many times do I have to say that? ...
So what is the point of arguing that "Strava for cars" is equivalent to Strava? Presumably "Strava for cars" is a bad thing in your world, right? Are you for, I dunno, shaming Strava? Defining Strava as morally bad? Presumably if Strava is morally bad, there aughta be something that can be dun bout that, am I right?
Old 10-21-13, 12:45 PM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So what is the point of arguing that "Strava for cars" is equivalent to Strava?
You should ask someone who made that argument, I suppose. I never did. I've gone out of my way to make that clear multiple times now.

Presumably "Strava for cars" is a bad thing in your world, right? Are you for, I dunno, shaming Strava? Defining Strava as morally bad? Presumably if Strava is morally bad, there aughta be something that can be dun bout that, am I right?
I don't think Strava for cars would be tolerated. It would be interesting to find out. I haven't tried to shame Strava, or define Stava as "bad". You can re-read my posts see what I've actually said. Go ahead, it will be fun for you.
Old 10-21-13, 12:47 PM
crank_addict
Banned

I have no clue what these things are...
No release form signed to play in a half pipe. The other is just a higher challenge marked ski run where hundreds every year are injured. A legendary attraction at the Jackson Hole ski resort. LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corbet%27s_Couloir

Last edited by crank_addict; 10-21-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:49 PM
Smokehouse

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what is the point of arguing that "Strava for cars" is equivalent to Strava? Presumably "Strava for cars" is a bad thing in your world, right? Are you for, I dunno, shaming Strava? Defining Strava as morally bad? Presumably if Strava is morally bad, there aughta be something that can be dun bout that, am I right?
Personally, I think that encouraging downhill speed runs is wrong. It's the issue that many of these runs are in areas with speed limits. Throw technical skill out the window...if that were an issue, than any speed run be it flat or even a hill "could" be wrong...hell, a ride could go into cardiac arrest attempting an uphill grind that he isn't fit enough to do.

...the downhill runs are an individual beast, unlike the others. It's not often that some large hill in a populated are has a speed limit of 50+ mph.

Bla, bla, bla...I guess I could on and on...

Either way, Strava sets the stage for these runs. To say the have zero part in these accidents is false.
Old 10-21-13, 12:53 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No release form signed to play in a half pipe. The other is just a higher challenge marked ski run where hundreds every year are injured. A legendary attraction at the Jackson Hole ski resort. LOL
okay.
Old 10-21-13, 12:56 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just checked some of the segments in my area and on some of the city streets the KOM are 30mph. How can you do that in the city with cars and on flat ground? Unless it's done in a paceline in the middle of the night, I call bull****. Or people are just insane and blowing through lights and drafting off of cars.
Old 10-21-13, 12:57 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4275 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 951 Posts
There is no release required for the use of terrain parks and half-pipes (not always). There is, though, large signs warning of the danger. The resort isn't encouraging competion or ranking people's runs.

Building and maintaining a half-pipe is nearly the same thing as building and maintaining a road.

Except
the resort has (presumably) taken effort to make sure the condition of the facility is appropriate and to warn people of the dangers they assume in using it. (The road-builders, who are not Strava, have also (presumably) taken effort to make sure the condition of the facility is appropriate and to warn people of the dangers (via speed limit signs/etc).)

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-21-13 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:58 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
There is no release required for the use of terrain parks and half-pipes (not always). There is, though, large signs warning of the danger.
okay.
Old 10-21-13, 12:59 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You should ask someone who made that argument, I suppose. I never did. I've gone out of my way to make that clear multiple times now.
the lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 10-21-13 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-21-13, 01:15 PM
zvez

Bikes: 2014 Cervelo R5 Dura Ace,2014 Specialized S-Works Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well only by degree is it untrue, speeding on a bicycle maybe, MAYBE 5 mph over the speed limit. Everyone in a car or on an mc goes over that. Sorry but with few exceptions, bicycles just are not that fast. (obviously steep descents are a source of the highest speeds). I'll reword in that bicycles rarely exceed the speed limit MEANINGFULLY. If by some chance they do go 35 mph in a 20mph zone than they should be ticketed as laws are already on the books for this.

Originally Posted by Rowan
This is untrue. There are speed zones around schools, shopping precincts, and what happens when a school bus stops?
Old 10-21-13, 01:21 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Not that I am really in this argument, but my personal beliefs are:

Strava has no culpability, be it legal or moral, in morons being morons. And I have never even implied that they did.

Both of the people in the article acted recklessly, based upon their own choices.

I gave the car examples because, in my mind, the hyper mileage hypothetical would demonstrate the same thing: information (a website) that someone uses to perform a stupid action is not culpable for the stupid action.

However, Brian, I do believe you argue inconsistently:

The car speeding website can't be compared, because everyone could speed on every segment, so it is universally not safe.

The car mileage website can't be compared, because it is only hypothetical. But wait, the car speeding was hypothetical too, but not dismissed on the grounds it was hypothetical.

Last I checked, hypothetical analogies were a common logic tool to evaluate premises. The benefit of them is that they are, in fact, non-existent, and hypothetical.
Old 10-21-13, 01:21 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Building and maintaining a half-pipe is nearly the same thing as building and maintaining a road. The fact that either exists is not really any encouragement that people use them recklessly/dangerously.
The whole point of half pipes and terrain parks is to do crazy stuff which is both informally and formally encouraged (though warnings are issued). Likewise, some of the drops in ski areas are tricky when snow conditions are good and outright undoable (i.e. you'd just plummet onto rocks) when they're bad.

You don't have to watch long at all to see people trying to do things that are clearly outside their skill level and you'll see plenty of bad crashes -- particularly younger people who have more balls than brains.

On the signed release thing, I thought the normal deal was that they have signage indicating that purchasing a ticket constituted acceptance of terms. I know a lawyer who actually did try to sue on behalf of someone who was seriously injured (it didn't work).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.