Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Had a wreck

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Had a wreck

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 05:06 AM
Wildrat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! I had this wreck this past Saturday. My bruise continues to grow, it's just above my knee now.
The bruise is no big deal what I am wondering about is the swelling around my hip/waist area. I have never had an injury like this before and am wondering is it somewhat normal for the area to still have swelling? The area has little pain. Just curious about the swelling. So if anyone has had this type of injury and can report on swelling it would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-16, 02:18 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had this wreck on the 24th of September. The bruise grew from a cantaloupe size bruise on my left thigh to a bruise stretching from my waist to about 3-4 inches below the bend in my knee. Today a week and few days after the wreck the majority of the bruise is fading out. My left buttock is still purple and let me tell ya I have been riding like this but yesterday was the first day I felt any real pain. I rode 38 miles and my left buttock hurt for the entire time. It's weird to me that I would have pain this long after the wreck but I am no doctor. The swelling is slowly going down on my left thigh.If I did not know better I would think something crawled up and attached itself to my thigh because it just feels and looks alien. LOL The area of my ribs that got hurt still aches a bit but I can sneeze/cough now without it feeling like someone is hitting me in the achy spot.
As for the equipment. I am still undecided on a helmet. I will likely get the same helmet that I normally ride with which is the Giro Air Attack. They have newer version out with a shield but Since I wear sunglasses with a reading lens, I think the shield would be pointless, unless someone can tell me otherwise. My carbon pedal will stay scuffed as it is cosmetic. My ISM seat also gut scuffed a bit, it will stay also. The plastic covers on the front of the shifters got ground down pretty good but I found replacements and they look much better. My old Garmin Oregon 450T computer has a few lines of LCD's that act up now but seem to start working when it has been on for awhile.
Anyway, I look forward to someone telling me the purpose of the shield on the Giro Air Attack, whether it's for aerodynamics, looking cool, especially since the pro cyclist I have seen wearing them seem to wear glasses underneath the shield. I just don't know.
Old 10-04-16, 03:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildrat
Hey all! I had this wreck this past Saturday. My bruise continues to grow, it's just above my knee now.
The bruise is no big deal what I am wondering about is the swelling around my hip/waist area. I have never had an injury like this before and am wondering is it somewhat normal for the area to still have swelling? The area has little pain. Just curious about the swelling. So if anyone has had this type of injury and can report on swelling it would be appreciated.
Yes, I've had a hip bruise like that.

It swelled up like a grapefruit within 36 hours. It wasn't extremely painful, but I was unable to sleep on that side for about 3 weeks because it felt like I was trying to sleep on a baseball.

Once it was less tender, and I slept on that side, the swelling dropped significantly overnight.
Old 10-04-16, 03:07 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Anyway, I look forward to someone telling me the purpose of the shield on the Giro Air Attack, whether it's for aerodynamics, looking cool, especially since the pro cyclist I have seen wearing them seem to wear glasses underneath the shield. I just don't know.
It is for improved aerodynamics.

Generally on a time trial bike with a skin suit, shaved arms and legs, and aero shoes or shoe covers.

Hey it's wind tunnel tested. How can you go wrong with that?
Old 10-04-16, 03:20 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
It is for improved aerodynamics.

Generally on a time trial bike with a skin suit, shaved arms and legs, and aero shoes or shoe covers.

Hey it's wind tunnel tested. How can you go wrong with that?
Thanks man,I figured as much. Seeing as I am not aerodynamic I don't need a shield. LOL

Here is my hip/leg bruise pic. It eventually filled in all the white areas including the entire cheek, but like I said it is fading quite well now. I also had problems sleeping on that side for any significant time. I can sleep on the side fairly well now. I think the memory foam mattress helps quite a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0929161458.jpg (93.0 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-14-16, 08:27 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New helmet will be here Monday. I purchased a Bell Star Pro to replace my Giro Air Attack. It is in Hi-Viz.
Did you know Bell and Giro are owned by the same parent company?
Old 10-14-16, 08:40 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yes, for many years now.

How's the swelling now?
Old 10-14-16, 10:03 AM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Yes, for many years now.

How's the swelling now?
I didn't know about the companies until I started looking at helmets.

The bruising is nearly gone on both legs. I did not realize I had bruising on right leg till it started turning yellow.
The swelling on my Left thigh has gone down some. I believe it is here for the long haul and will have to be reabsorbed over the coming weeks/months. There is no pain, but I do know the alien growth is there, mainly when I put my cell phone in my pocket.
It has not affected my riding but the group I have been riding with has so no more social interaction, back to riding by myself. They switch days every other week to accommodate one person, and they like to stop. I like to ride.
Anyway I'm just complaining now, back to making bread. Real bread not money. LOL
Old 10-14-16, 12:11 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New helmet will be here Monday. I purchased a Bell Star Pro to replace my Giro Air Attack. It is in Hi-Viz.
Looked on Nashbar today and the helmet I purchased is 25% off. I called Nashbar and they refunded 30 bucks back to my account. Pretty good deal on a decent helmet!
Old 10-14-16, 01:29 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
People tell me you start with ice to slow blood flow which slows the swelling (swelling is due to all the dead cell membranes clogging the capillaries, which then kills more cells which clog more capillaries, which is why it continues to swell for a while.) Hitting ti with ice for 12 hours after can ease that a lot. The start with heat which helps break down the dead cells membranes and stimulates blood flow to move all the dead junk out of there and brings in repair materials.

Or ... as I often do ... just leave it be and show off your bad-ass bruise.
Old 10-14-16, 01:56 PM
Wildrat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
People tell me you start with ice to slow blood flow which slows the swelling (swelling is due to all the dead cell membranes clogging the capillaries, which then kills more cells which clog more capillaries, which is why it continues to swell for a while.) Hitting ti with ice for 12 hours after can ease that a lot. The start with heat which helps break down the dead cells membranes and stimulates blood flow to move all the dead junk out of there and brings in repair materials.

Or ... as I often do ... just leave it be and show off your bad-ass bruise.
I did the ice. I don't know if I am in a heat stage or not. The injury will be 3 weeks old tomorrow. Like I said, I think I am in the "let the body reabsorb it's mess stage". LOL