Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 09:13 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pain is manageable at this point.
Old 09-04-14, 10:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
are you smoking a lot of pot for it?
Old 09-04-14, 10:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,484 Times in 1,459 Posts
I thought that was obvious from the photo.
Old 09-04-14, 10:22 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I tried to commandeer the numbing drops but was unsuccessful.
Old 09-04-14, 07:20 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Going to the Dark Side...

Carbon tubulars, Reynolds 46s. My boss has gone 11 speed, and these are ten speed. Now I can be even more of a poseur.

I've got until February (first race next season) to scare up the money for another powermeter...guess the Powertap wheelset is going up for sale. I can get Stages at cost, or find a used SRM. Thankfully there's no rush.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-04-14, 07:24 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Carbon tubulars, Reynolds 46s. My boss has gone 11 speed, and these are ten speed. Now I can be even more of a poseur.

I've got until February (first race next season) to scare up the money for another powermeter...guess the Powertap wheelset is going up for sale. I can get Stages at cost, or find a used SRM. Thankfully there's no rush.
You'll be a podium monster, Chuck!
Old 09-04-14, 08:03 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Reynolds 46s carbon tubes are perfect for Fredistan.
Old 09-04-14, 09:25 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Hermes, did your wheels make it to you today?
Old 09-05-14, 08:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by sarals
Hermes, did your wheels make it to you today?
Yes. They arrived late in the morning in perfect condition. SWA did not have a reason per se but the most probable was they were delayed by TSA in Salt Lake City.
Old 09-05-14, 05:08 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hermes
Yes. They arrived late in the morning in perfect condition. SWA did not have a reason per se but the most probable was they were delayed by TSA in Salt Lake City.
Old 09-05-14, 06:05 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guy that I went to a training camp in Spain with and have done some team rides with just won the 40-45 Nats.

I feel just a little better about how he always made me go cross eyed and blow spit bubbles just to hold his wheel on flat ground now.

Last edited by Herbie53; 09-06-14 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-06-14, 10:04 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

My mother (84 years old) shot a hole in one in one of her golf leagues yesterday. It was her first one since starting to play golf 50 years ago.

The round was a special charity event and my mother's group was the first group off. At the fourth hole (110 yard par 3), they had just set up the tent for participants to pay $5 for a closest to the pin contest AND if you got a hole in one, you got free golf for one year. My mother was the first one to sign up. She was the first one to tee of and hit a nine wood. They saw the ball heading toward the green but that was it. When they got to the green, my mother could not find her ball. After looking around for a couple of minutes, someone checked the hole and found her ball.

My mother golfs in two leagues and has the lowest handicap in both - 9 handicap and typically shoots in the 30s at executive courses. She is an A player and typically beats all the 50 and 60 year old players. Her average puts per 9 hole round is 14. I told her that her neurology is just off the charts. She just does not miss. In addition to the hole in one, she had a chip in off the green and had 13 puts for the hole in one round.

I bet the golf course thought no one would ever get the free golf for a year and this is a very nice course that I played a lot as a kid growing up.
Old 09-06-14, 10:41 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unreal. Good for her. Imagine how good she will be after free golf for a year. Does she know how to wager?
Old 09-07-14, 06:16 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Crazy week. 800+ miles of driving, In-Laws came up while we were/are trying to get the house in order, just avoided punching out a guy who thought that taking 20 flash photos of his food in a high end restaurant was just dandy, slept here and there, unpacked 30 boxes, hooked up 3 TV's, a home theater, a printer, three cable boxes, internet, moved furniture, hung art, entertained in-laws, sold a big table saw, cleaned out our rental, and sort of celebrated 28 years of marriage.

Tomorrow I get up and go for a ride. Work follows.

Oh, and caught up a bit here. A hole-in-one at 80?

I hit one on the hole with the dinosaur at 12.
Old 09-08-14, 06:11 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by shovelhd
Unreal. Good for her. Imagine how good she will be after free golf for a year. Does she know how to wager?
The problem is finding someone to take the other side of the deal. In her 40s into her 60s, she was club champion 20 years in a row and two years ago, she shot 1 under for 18 in a tournament on an executive course. And she counts every stroke when you play with her strictly by the rules and makes everyone hole everything out - no gimmies. If you ask for a mulligan, she thinks you are a wuss.
Old 09-08-14, 06:19 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Poop. No ride today.

On the other hand got a ****load of stuff done.

Last thing was checking out some audio equipment for the shop. Have a Bose system on a Technich receiver. Couldn't get it to work. Base unit lost a channel, figured this out after 30 minutes of messing about. Took the back off and found the board had broken out. McGyver'd it back in and we're ready to rock.
Old 09-08-14, 06:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Modern cars...technology...I got a message that the oil was low in my 2014 Porsche Boxster. I decided to run it up to the dealer and chat with the guy I use for service. First, there is no dip stick in the Porsche so the only way to measure the oil level is electronically via the instrument panel. The service manage calls over a tech to check out the level. The computer now indicates that the oil cannot be measured. WTF. The tech says that there is an interlock with the rear trunk such that if you open the rear trunk and the oil is low, it assumes you added oil and now the car must be driven for 6 miles to reset the logic. I drove off and did some errands. I was able to check the oil and it was low. I returned to the dealership and the tech confirmed my reading. We added a quart of Mobil 1.

However, the computer shows that the level is 1/2 way so one could assume that it was down 2 quarts. The tech told me that it only needs one quart and if you put in two it overfills the reservoir and then oil is sucked into the engine and ruins the catalytic converter which he claims many have done.

I knew how to check oil in a car until today and maybe interpret the findings. With the level of sophistication of the new models and especially Porsche, it now seems like a good idea to check on everything with the mechanic. Good grief. $10.19 for a quart of Mobil 1 and two hours...problem solved.
Old 09-08-14, 06:39 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You got ripped on the oil. A 5 gallon jug is $21.
Old 09-09-14, 09:02 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Wow Herme's
The only no dipstick cars I ever worked on only went 1/4 mile then made a turn and picked up the time slip.
Old 09-09-14, 10:16 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by shovelhd
You got ripped on the oil. A 5 gallon jug is $21.
The guys at the Porsche dealership provide great service. I drove in without and appointment and the manager pulls a tech off working on another car to look at mine. Yeah, the oil is overpriced but I felt somewhat compelled to buy it and felt like I got a lot of value in aggregate.

Also, I learned that we are not driving the car hard enough. It has the PDK transmission with the electronic select package. That means that I can set the transmission shift point and suspension from the instrument panel. The default setting provides a great ride and gas mileage but according to the tech does not rev the engine enough to break it in - hence the oil use. He said to run the transmission in the sport mode for a couple of thousand miles. There is also a sport + mode that moves the shift points to 7500 rpm. That will yield a 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds. And this transmission beats its manual counterpart in acceleration due to the continuous flow of power between shifts due to its dual clutch system.

Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
Wow Herme's
The only no dipstick cars I ever worked on only went 1/4 mile then made a turn and picked up the time slip.
It is pretty weird not to have a manual visual oil check which is why I took it to the dealer. Any time one has electronic measurement of pressure, level or flow, one has to be concerned with calibration. Of course, one would assume that it is correctly calibrated when it leaves the factory and Porsche has run testing on the reliability of measurement over time.
Old 09-09-14, 11:29 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
The guys at the Porsche dealership provide great service. I drove in without and appointment and the manager pulls a tech off working on another car to look at mine. Yeah, the oil is overpriced but I felt somewhat compelled to buy it and felt like I got a lot of value in aggregate.

Also, I learned that we are not driving the car hard enough. It has the PDK transmission with the electronic select package. That means that I can set the transmission shift point and suspension from the instrument panel. The default setting provides a great ride and gas mileage but according to the tech does not rev the engine enough to break it in - hence the oil use. He said to run the transmission in the sport mode for a couple of thousand miles. There is also a sport + mode that moves the shift points to 7500 rpm. That will yield a 0 to 60 in 4.1 seconds. And this transmission beats its manual counterpart in acceleration due to the continuous flow of power between shifts due to its dual clutch system.
Drive it like you stole it... sweet!

It is pretty weird not to have a manual visual oil check which is why I took it to the dealer. Any time one has electronic measurement of pressure, level or flow, one has to be concerned with calibration. Of course, one would assume that it is correctly calibrated when it leaves the factory and Porsche has run testing on the reliability of measurement over time.
Reminds me of a quote my pop told me when I was young that involved wheels and 'stuff'. I can't post it since it would probably be a TOS violation.
Old 09-09-14, 01:50 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hermes I was just pulling your chain. My VW has a DSG option which is faster 0-60 than my stick shift but I just prefer the manual except when in bumper to bumper traffic. Then it sucks.
Old 09-09-14, 01:51 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally back to a normal life after Master's Track Nats then the vacation that went from great to FUBAR in a heartbeat. After driving across the country with my wife and visiting a few National Parks I competed at the Nats in a very pedestrian manner. My sister and her husband then then flew out Seattle and met up with us for a few days of driving/vacation on the Olympic Peninsula then set off on a 7 day cruise to Alaska. After the cruise my wife and I planned to spend another 8 days driving back to Ohio with extended stops in Washington State, Yellowstone and the Badlands. On the third night of the cruise my brother in law suffered a fatal heart attack and passed away in his sleep. John was 60, healthy and with no medical issues. He had even rode on a recumbent exercise bike on the ship the day before while I rode the upright. I had to complete several very hard to do phone calls for my sister as well as to my family members. We couldn't leave the ship for two days until we reached Juneau where there is an airport, during that time my wife and I comforted my sister as well as possible. From that point we flew back to Seattle and raced across the continent in our car to make it to the viewing and funeral for my B-I-L.

Life happens...

Well, after a few attempts I'm feeling back to normal on the bike again although my thoughts don't stay focused on riding very long. Being back at work also helps focus on other things.

I'm back on BF and still hate riding up hills or doing TT's, but may ponder change while doing my reassessments every time I'm on a bike.
Old 09-09-14, 01:54 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My condolences to your family AJ.
Old 09-09-14, 02:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

A'Jet. My condolences to you and your family. That is awful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.