Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-15, 04:43 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Have they taken the edge off the drought?

Demain, on roule!
Old 10-12-15, 04:56 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Have they taken the edge off the drought?
Not really, we need a good snow pack in Big Bear / Arrowhead to really make a positive effect. Snow is really what makes a big difference, and the rain (at least here) just goes out to the ocean.
Old 10-12-15, 05:30 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
recovery day. commute+riding around finding the place where i'm taking the GRE on thursday.
Old 10-12-15, 07:03 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
good luck with the test
Old 10-12-15, 09:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
1.5 hours after work, almost-tempo pace.

Trying to keep rpms around 95. I don't really know why but I was.

my race videos
Old 10-13-15, 04:17 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
woke up and ate my pre-ride breakfast only to realize there's some rain rolling in. dammit. hopefully i'll get a ride in this evening after work.

edit: ended up driving to work because i didn't feel like riding in the rain. legs are really sore from the weekend still. probably won't ride today at all.

Originally Posted by echappist
good luck with the test
thanks! really just want it to be over at this point. life's basically been a revolving door of ride, work, study, repeat for the past few months.

Last edited by mike868y; 10-13-15 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 11:38 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
ZCI's. Managed to hit the average wattage target on all of them, but on the 5th and 6th one the graph looks like a rollercoaster.
Old 10-13-15, 11:43 AM
scheibo
once a runner

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another "VO2sday", this time something a little different with 3x 8x(40s "on", 20s "off") w/ the "on" supposed to be 130-140%. Did it going up a hill so my 20s "off" was really 20s at "minimum power required to stay upright" which in some cases was close ~80% = I was closer to 120-130% range power wise on the "on" portion. I purposely lowballed the volume because I had never done this workout type before and didn't know what to expect - I think I could have probably done another set of 8 (or done 3x10). That would have been more in line with my past VO2 work because I seem like I'm only good for about 20 minutes of work right now (hopefully next season I'll be good for 25-30 minutes).
Old 10-13-15, 11:53 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
save yourself 2 years and find a place to do your work on the flats. it'll translate to hills, while work on hills does not always translate well.
Old 10-13-15, 12:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
1.5hrs straight chillin
Old 10-13-15, 12:40 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
find a place to do your work on the flats.
Does not compute.
Old 10-13-15, 12:42 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
save yourself 2 years and find a place to do your work on the flats. it'll translate to hills, while work on hills does not always translate well.
Why would I work on things that I'm bad at when I can instead work on things I'm already good at???

There are a couple loops near work which are flat (that Markelz uses - Garcia/Shoreline), but there's not really much variety. I like that I can find 5-8 different 4-6" hills that are within a 35" radius. It seems like in the only flat places around here are full of stoplights and cars. The Alpine/Portola loop is OK, but its really more false up/down than flat, which makes isopower really difficult (but maybe thats also something I should work on - hitting high power on a false downhill?).

I'm not *super* opposed to flat work (my first year cycling was through pancake-flat farmland), its just that I'm not in love with the options for workout locations (nor do I love the fact that my power magically dips 10%+ ). I'll do VO2s on the flat loop near work next week, but I can't see doing them on the flats every week.
Old 10-13-15, 12:43 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Went for a spin with the wife, intending to do 45 minutes of tempo afterwards. 5 minutes in, she got a blowout, something very sharp punctured the tire. Just before the ride she removed the spare tube from her seat bag because she doesn't carry a pump and I told her there's no point having a tube without a pump. I rode home and got a tube. Booted the tire, changed the tube, used a CO2, but the tube didn't hold air, because I had put the old tube right back in. Put in the new tube. Used another CO2, but the tube didn't hold air, because the spare also had a hole in it. Walked a short distance to the rail trail cafe, which is closed for the season, but our friend who runs it happened to be there cleaning things up. She had a tube and a floor pump. Changed the tube again. Resumed the ride. At the precise spot where the first tire blew, she got another blowout, almost certainly running over the same sharp whatever it was. Shuffled around in the leaves for a while trying to find this evil sharp thing, no luck. I gave her my bike and rode her stupid bike home at about 2 mph on the rear rim, feeling like a total ass in full kit, shaved legs, bike shoes on a beat up 40 lb hybrid with toe clips and a flat rear tire. Then it started to rain.
Old 10-13-15, 01:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by globecanvas
Went for a spin with the wife, intending to do 45 minutes of tempo afterwards. 5 minutes in, she got a blowout, something very sharp punctured the tire. Just before the ride she removed the spare tube from her seat bag because she doesn't carry a pump and I told her there's no point having a tube without a pump. I rode home and got a tube. Booted the tire, changed the tube, used a CO2, but the tube didn't hold air, because I had put the old tube right back in. Put in the new tube. Used another CO2, but the tube didn't hold air, because the spare also had a hole in it. Walked a short distance to the rail trail cafe, which is closed for the season, but our friend who runs it happened to be there cleaning things up. She had a tube and a floor pump. Changed the tube again. Resumed the ride. At the precise spot where the first tire blew, she got another blowout, almost certainly running over the same sharp whatever it was. Shuffled around in the leaves for a while trying to find this evil sharp thing, no luck. I gave her my bike and rode her stupid bike home at about 2 mph on the rear rim, feeling like a total ass in full kit, shaved legs, bike shoes on a beat up 40 lb hybrid with toe clips and a flat rear tire. Then it started to rain.
I'm sorry, I actually laughed out loud when I got to the final sentence. I laugh because I have been there.
Old 10-13-15, 02:05 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Go tell that to the experts on the training forum lol https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...ain-flats.html
Old 10-13-15, 02:09 PM
hubcyclist

90mins on zwift z2, it's on to next season now and hopefully becoming less mediocre!
Old 10-13-15, 03:00 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Go tell that to the experts on the training forum lol https://www.bikeforums.net/training-n...ain-flats.html
let them figure it out the hard way, like I did.

but, think about it. if you can make a theoretical 300w threshold for 1 hour on the flats, you sure as **** can do it easily on a long climb. If your threshold is 300w on a long climb, making that power on the flats will be hard. So, improve your flats to 300+X and when you go to climb, 300+X will feel easy.

That, at least, is my direct experience over the last couple seasons. If someone finds it mentally difficult to maintain power in the face of a long climb, they surely find it difficult to hold power in the face of an indefinitely long flat without the hill to push on.
Old 10-13-15, 03:32 PM
hubcyclist

but, think about it. if you can make a theoretical 300w threshold for 1 hour on the flats, you sure as **** can do it easily on a long climb. If your threshold is 300w on a long climb, making that power on the flats will be hard. So, improve your flats to 300+X and when you go to climb, 300+X will feel easy.

That, at least, is my direct experience over the last couple seasons. If someone finds it mentally difficult to maintain power in the face of a long climb, they surely find it difficult to hold power in the face of an indefinitely long flat without the hill to push on.
I definitely find it easier in my limited experience to do 300 on hills vs 300 on flattish terrain or the trainer, so I'm totally with you there
Old 10-13-15, 03:40 PM
caloso

My experience too.
Old 10-13-15, 03:42 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I still can get nowhere near where I am on the hills on the flats. 20min of 425 or so for hills, 380ish for flats. But, that's about 30w++ on the flats this year, and without climbing an inch of pure climbing, my climbing threshold went up about 20w.
Old 10-13-15, 05:08 PM
scheibo
once a runner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still can get nowhere near where I am on the hills on the flats. 20min of 425 or so for hills, 380ish for flats. But, that's about 30w++ on the flats this year, and without climbing an inch of pure climbing, my climbing threshold went up about 20w.
Hmm, I was ~310 up a mountain for an hour in August and 301 for 25 min at BTC (so say ~280-285 for an hour on the flat). For you it seems to be around 10% difference as well, which is brings up the question of how you set your FTP for the PMC (for individual workouts it would seem to make sense to just target "flat power" on the flats and climbing power up hills, but for tracking TSS/TSB there is a pretty noticeable difference)?

I'm willing to believe flat power translates to climbing more so than climbing power translates to the flat, but right now I justwant to climb hills fast, so I feel the specificity won't hurt . Come February I'll probably be more willing to deal with a boring flat loop.
Old 10-13-15, 05:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

Out here we obsess about climbing a bit too much. I was talking to a teammate about it and our team rides are ineffective to an extent because we all slog at 200w on the flats. Its a group ride but once we hit that categorized climb its a race, so no one wants to burn matches on the flats. At the end of the day though, it just doesn't replicate racing.

For me, I miss the slight nuances of putting out watts in the flats. Adjusting for the slight tailwind or decline can be tricky, and sometimes I'll look at the garmin and I'm down -100w without even noticing. Maybe its just me. Maybe its akin to when Ron Burgundy was blind and he couldn't taste or feel things either.
Old 10-13-15, 05:31 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
The wang is strong with these two.
Old 10-13-15, 05:32 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I reckon that's fairly typical. I recall my rides from twenty years ago going to same way. 5 or 6 hard climbs all out, and the rest kinda social.
Old 10-13-15, 05:56 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
90mins on zwift z2, it's on to next season now and hopefully becoming less mediocre!
Same here, for half the time. I had a two week layoff due to some health issues. I finally got the smart trainer set up and calibrated alongside the power meter. Worked as advertised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.