Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 10:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I like it...

Built a new toy myself... should be good for those commutes that tale me off the beaten and paved path and am sure we'll play in the snow a little too.

Switched the SS drive for an 8 speed this evening...

Old 09-21-10, 10:40 PM
Mandelbrot
crunchy phascist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks hikelite , yes i did paint it... spray can. lot of degreasing, lots of sanding, primer, then paint...
it is definitely my new favourite color!
if i could do it over, I would have given it a few more coats... thats about 2-3.

awesome bikes on this page, loving that paint boro... and I might have to look for some glow in the dark grips too thanks to cody!
Old 09-22-10, 05:20 AM
whitey818

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is mine loaded for a ride out in the forest and how it looks every morning for the ride to work:

and how it looks after a bath:
Old 09-22-10, 11:13 AM
MnM78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey
hope i can post my pic soon still have got to change and add something

Last edited by MnM78; 09-22-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-22-10, 12:40 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boro
Thanks. Aside from the fact that I think the paint will chip off if you look at it the wrong way, most of my concerns revolve around my part selection. For instance, my brake arms have quite a bit of play compared to the old frame... I don't know if the bosses are just a different size than usual, or if my old avid brakes are a weird size. The rear dropout spacing allows for MTB hubs to fit pretty easily, but I needed to track down some axle adjustment screws, otherwise (with the 9-spd cassette) my chain would rub on the seat stay - again, I just didn't know ahead of time. There are other minor little things I have to find solutions too, but otherwise it seems like a good frame. I've never ridden a light steel frame, but this one doesn't seem too heavy. In the end I think I'm happy with it, especially because it was way cheaper than other new frames out there.

If I had to do it over again, and I had a good used frame resource, I would have repainted an older cheap/free frame. Since I didn't know of any good resources in my old city, and I was afraid of buying (and probably overpaying for) some old frame off craigslist, I just went with the Pake. I've gotten a few compliments on the frame, especially about the colour. I've also gotten a few looks while riding it at school, too, but I think they were bad looks, and I think they were directed at me.
That looks really nice and I am sure you will be able to work out your issues. Whatever poor looks you perceived were probably jealousy or as my friend always says they were just constipated.
Old 09-22-10, 01:03 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Figured I would add a few gears to the Beast and commute through the river valley today... t'was awesome.

Old 09-22-10, 03:47 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What frame is that? You tempt me with all kinds of project ideas. =)

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Figured I would add a few gears to the Beast and commute through the river valley today... t'was awesome.

Old 09-22-10, 05:44 PM
jsal0503
Jesse Salgado

Bikes: 1986 Bianchi Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
That bike looks beautiful... and aren't you glad you didn't paint it another colour ?
Thanks, i have sort of been thinking about it still but the more i do the more i like the red ha.
Old 09-22-10, 06:34 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by monsterpile
What frame is that? You tempt me with all kinds of project ideas. =)
It is a "there's one and I have it" frame.

It is a '96-ish Jim Moulden custom (local builder), filet brazed with Reynold's 853 / Prestige tubes.

Friend gave it to me after using it as his winter beater...
Old 09-22-10, 09:22 PM
ilynne
Free and Self-Reliant

Bikes: Retrovelo Paula, 3 Speed Brompton, Rivendell Cheviot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My commuter/errand bike, updated. Put the stock handlebars back on, added fenders, rack and Wald folding baskets. The bike came with the giant front basket.

Old 09-22-10, 09:28 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How many bonus points do I get for buying one of these after seeing the pic? =)

I bought one of these tonight on Craiglist. Well its a Schwinn Prelude, but it looks the same just from Target instead of Walmart. The guy said he road it once and it looks that way. It still has all the stickers even the clearance pricetag. LOL He put one of those Nashbar Air seats on it. In my ride around the neighborhood it seems really comfy so that might be a minor upgrade. I post some pictures tomorrow, but I think I will commute on it for a while and see what I think of having a road bike as commuter. Overall for what I paid its pretty good. I just had to adjust things so it fit, wipe the dust off from it being in a garage and its ready to go.
Her eis an update, I rode the Prelude to work and around a bit and I didn't really like it all that well. I was going to switch stems, but realized I didn't have what I needed. I did like the seat alot so I put it on my faithful Trek commuter. Its like a pillow. Not sure it would be great for long rides, but I like it alot on my short commute so far. One thing it seems like people have mentioned about the Prelude/Varsity is the spongy brakes. I suspect its because to get them adjusted right I had to move the almost all the way down to the end of the brake caliper. Honestly if I was trying to get the most out of this bike I would put an old 27 inch wheelset on it and it would be better braking from the brakes on the bike. It wouldn't be hard to find a lighter wheelset in my basement than what is on there. The wheels are almost anchors. I am not ripping on the bike, but just some thoughts. I am offering for sale at work and I already have a bite.
Old 09-22-10, 09:44 PM
sethhochberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Her eis an update, I rode the Prelude to work and around a bit and I didn't really like it all that well. I was going to switch stems, but realized I didn't have what I needed. I did like the seat alot so I put it on my faithful Trek commuter. Its like a pillow. Not sure it would be great for long rides, but I like it alot on my short commute so far. One thing it seems like people have mentioned about the Prelude/Varsity is the spongy brakes. I suspect its because to get them adjusted right I had to move the almost all the way down to the end of the brake caliper. Honestly if I was trying to get the most out of this bike I would put an old 27 inch wheelset on it and it would be better braking from the brakes on the bike. It wouldn't be hard to find a lighter wheelset in my basement than what is on there. The wheels are almost anchors. I am not ripping on the bike, but just some thoughts. I am offering for sale at work and I already have a bite.
A big complaint of mine is the brakes, for sure - they work well enough, though, and it works well enough for my needs. I also grabbed mine originally off Craigslist, I've probably only got $300 total into it including the cost of the bike, initial tuneup, and some Conti Gatorskins/pumps/tools/etc. I'm coming up on mile 800 and I think its been worth it so far.
Old 09-23-10, 07:27 AM
SillyRabbit
Mayor of Bonk Town.

Bikes: ''98 Cannondale R600, '85 Specialized Allez

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's my CX bike with its commuter outfit on.
Schwinn Crosscut with homemade redwood crate.

Old 09-23-10, 08:45 AM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sethhochberg
A big complaint of mine is the brakes, for sure - they work well enough, though, and it works well enough for my needs. I also grabbed mine originally off Craigslist, I've probably only got $300 total into it including the cost of the bike, initial tuneup, and some Conti Gatorskins/pumps/tools/etc. I'm coming up on mile 800 and I think its been worth it so far.
That sounds like you have gotten your money's worth already. Its a decent base to build from really. Some people might rip on something like that, but despite everything a bike is a bike and if you ride it thats what matters.

I was just thinking last night if you wanted to improve the brakes for little investment and a bit of time you could get some nicer brake shoes that also have longer studs and maybe fashion a insert out of some type of thick metal (maybe someting as simple as an eletrical box plate) to stiffen up those calipers so they don't flex as much. On the Prelude I got them so they are more than acceptable after fiddling with them for a few minutes. I actually got a compliment from someone Monday night about how nice it looked from someone that actually rides alot. Target Schwinn Pride!!!...soon for some lucky college student I think. =)

For me I am going back to my Trek mountain bike commuter. Its amazing how much stronger and quicker a newer chain makes it feel. I waited way to long to do that. I know I have at least 500 miles on it, but based on my very small investment on the bike and to outfit it for commuting with. I think its been more than worthwhile. I started out riding to work to save money on gas, get excercise and maybe save the planet a bit, but now I would actually rather just ride to work possibly even without other those benfits. =)
Old 09-23-10, 01:46 PM
hikelite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out riding to work to save money on gas, get excercise and maybe save the planet a bit, but now I would actually rather just ride to work possibly even without other those benfits. =)
I suspects that what happened to most of us. It did for me at least
Are you to the point yet where you don't like to drive? hehe
Old 09-23-10, 01:58 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started out riding to work to save money on gas, get excercise and maybe save the planet a bit, but now I would actually rather just ride to work possibly even without other those benfits. =)
Ditto. To me, the greatest aspect of cycling is how it is both a functional means of transportation, and wicked fun at the same time. I used to try to have fun in my car, but the cops and my insurance provider put the kybosh on that pretty quick. Driving is drudgery, cycling is enjoyment.
Old 09-23-10, 06:32 PM
evangelinegale

Bikes: 96' lemond tourmalet, 11' leader 725tr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i live in portland Oregon and they actually have racks inside to hold bikes.
Old 09-23-10, 06:41 PM
evangelinegale

Bikes: 96' lemond tourmalet, 11' leader 725tr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the coffee cup holder, man after my own heart
Old 09-23-10, 08:52 PM
monsterpile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have started disliking driving especially going to work. In fact the last road trip I was on for Labor Day weekend I let my wife drive alot more than usual. She could have driven the whole trip for all I cared. I generally like driving especially long distances, but various more local trips in the car I dream of what route I would take if I was taking a bike. =) Often I wonder why we drove some places instead of just taking a bike. I am just getting used to my newer car and its more fun that when I first got it, but my bikes are way more fun than my car except when its raining on my way to work. I actually feel this disconcerting feeling and guilty because its been 2 days in a row I have driven to work instead of biking. It just feels more normal or at least as much so to ride a bike than get in the car. I know a couple that over the last couple of years slowly weaned themselves off their car and now totally ride bikes everywhere. I am quite jealous of them. Bike racks inside would be awesome.
Old 09-24-10, 05:07 AM
irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a pic of my son on his new KaZAM run bike!

Old 09-24-10, 10:05 AM
hikelite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irclean
Here's a pic of my son on his new KaZAM run bike!

https://imgur.com/BIzXhl.jpg
He looks so cool with the gloves and the shades
Great pic!
Old 09-25-10, 09:05 PM
runningDoc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts

Gary Fischer Wingra. I really wanted to get a nice cyclocross bike and splurge but living in NYC everything can get stolen. So the entry level gary fisher city bike/commuter it was. Brooklyn has so many bike lanes now it is really changing the culture down here - drivers know what to expect for the most part. Manhattan's getting better too.

I ended up just asking my LBS to install the cheapest rack they had and i'm actually happy i ended up with a topeak. the propriety bags work with a system that really is secure and tight.

now i'll just add some black reflective tape and rear/front lights and it will be complete...

the only thing i totally hate is having to lug a huge kryptonite lock (of course the NYC model) and then the steel rope for the wheels/ect.. its like over 10lbs of extra weight.
Old 09-25-10, 10:06 PM
GriddleCakes
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by runningDoc
Gary Fischer Wingra.
That's a nice looking bike. Not too flashy; simple, and purposeful. You might want to consider fenders, if you plan on riding in the wet.

the only thing i totally hate is having to lug a huge kryptonite lock (of course the NYC model) and then the steel rope for the wheels/ect.. its like over 10lbs of extra weight.
Heavy load = strong rider. It's good for you, and you'll get used to it. The only time that I notice my 9 pound lock and chain is when I pick up someone else's bike. Plus, it's certainly better than having no bike at all.
Old 09-25-10, 10:28 PM
runningDoc

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
thats what caught my eye... nice monochrome black inconspicuous and not flashy. yup i'll put some fenders on too. keep em black as well. its going to be a 5 mile commute for me through brooklyn. i'm lucky that 90% has a bike lane (but its right next to parked cars and traffic), but as i said before the culture is changing down here and drivers are a lot nicer to bikes in the lane.

Originally Posted by GriddleCakes
That's a nice looking bike. Not too flashy; simple, and purposeful. You might want to consider fenders, if you plan on riding in the wet.

Heavy load = strong rider. It's good for you, and you'll get used to it. The only time that I notice my 9 pound lock and chain is when I pick up someone else's bike. Plus, it's certainly better than having no bike at all.
Old 09-25-10, 11:16 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I rode the Varsity to work for the first time this year. I used to ride it once in a while when my commute was 7 miles, but now it's 17 miles. Riding this bike took 20 minutes longer than my usual ride. This pic is after work, just before the Critical Mass ride. Full details about that on my blog.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.