Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 03:02 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Cleaned and stripped part of the Gazelle Lausanne mixte today. Looking a lot better after a good wash.

Also gave me a better look at some of the details on there.

The Shimano STX RC derailleur and shifters needed a bit of adjustment and some WD40 but I think I'll just take them off and replace them with something modern with a bit more range.
I was thinking of building a new set of silver coloured wheels with a dynohub but just outright buying them prebuilt online is cheaper and saves me some time. 36 spokes with Mavic A319 rims should be fine for now.

The end result should look something like this:
Turn it into a 1x9 bike with trigger shifters, add dynamo lights and cream tyres and we will have the basis for a very nice looking commuter bike.

(Don't mind the saddle. It's adjusted to my height right now. )
Old 04-26-19, 03:49 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
@52telecaster, tell us about that crank.

Lots of interesting stuff going on here.

I've been using this Raleigh International as a commuter bike for about three years. It was time to clean it and replace some cables, so I took it very much apart and am putting it back together. I am finally installing fenders on it. I'm not sure if I'll keep the front rack, and if not, what I'll use for luggage.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-26-19, 04:17 PM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts

!!!

Love the chrome on the crown
spent some time this past week cleaning up this 1984 pro tour. As found, the fork wouldn’t turn, tires were crumbling, and it was covered in dust and dirt. Figured I’d have to take everything apart and clean and regrease the bottom bracket and hubs too. Figured it would be a ton of work to get it going.

after getting the headset done, I moved on to the bottom bracket... lock rings on both sides. Looks like a cartridge bearing system, and it’s turning smooth so nothing there. Hubs... same thing. Nice.

so what I thought would be a project turned into a wipe down, headset clean, and a stem and saddle change. Not bad for a free bike.
Old 04-27-19, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Swap meet scores ..tried a <C> Rally cage on <C> Record 1020/A derailleur, nope ..
wont handle my triple, so will stick with the full 3450 Rally I bought new in the 70's ..

Did get an improvement with another find TRP long arm V brakes replacing the stock tektro ..

because TRP is not reliant on the frame post bushing .. it adds a bushing within itself
so my front rack mount wont cause the brake to bind , as the bolt is tightened..

Old 04-27-19, 06:32 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Serviced the lawn mower and got in the first cut. Then brought the 310 out for a cleanup.
Old 04-27-19, 07:54 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
Nice , very clean . Love those seat stay ends .
Old 04-28-19, 06:40 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
1973 Ladies Schwinn Breeze 3 speed

I just got a nice little used Schwinn so I could try to get my wife to go for neighborhood rides with me. I was younger and dumber 35 years ago and got her an old 10 speed. That didn't work out at all as she is NOT mechanically inclined at all, nor particularly athletic. (nor am I actually) Fast forward to present day and a recent purchase for me was an old Huffy Sportsman (Raleigh Sports) The 3 speed is a nice casual neighborhood rider.

I hope that perhaps I can get her to ride this one. We go on nice walks, but one can go further and see much more even at a casual pace on a bicycle. First thing will be gearing. My English built bike was geared tall, and switching out the 18 tooth rear cog to a 20 was perfect for this 60 year old guy for casual rides. I have a 19T and 22T laying around from the bike co-op, so I thought I would try the 22 on the SA hub on the Breeze first. As it is, low gear is about right for casual riding and it would be better if the middle gear was.
Old 04-28-19, 01:52 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
I spotted this one on a local Craigslist and nearly posted it here! That is a great looking bike and very reasonable price.

Originally Posted by Kdogbikes
Serviced the lawn mower and got in the first cut. Then brought the 310 out for a cleanup.
Old 04-28-19, 06:54 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Thanks MK! In negotiations with the mrs about purchasing a brand new bike so, a few bikes have to go.
Old 04-28-19, 11:42 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Is this one of these Gazelle Lausanne Hybride Lite Special Edition? Nice bike! What is that Champion Mondial sticker doing there?

Originally Posted by JaccoW
Cleaned and stripped part of the Gazelle Lausanne mixte today. Looking a lot better after a good wash.

Also gave me a better look at some of the details on there.

The Shimano STX RC derailleur and shifters needed a bit of adjustment and some WD40 but I think I'll just take them off and replace them with something modern with a bit more range.
I was thinking of building a new set of silver coloured wheels with a dynohub but just outright buying them prebuilt online is cheaper and saves me some time. 36 spokes with Mavic A319 rims should be fine for now.

The end result should look something like this:
Turn it into a 1x9 bike with trigger shifters, add dynamo lights and cream tyres and we will have the basis for a very nice looking commuter bike.

(Don't mind the saddle. It's adjusted to my height right now. )
Old 04-29-19, 01:25 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Originally Posted by alexnagui
Is this one of these Gazelle Lausanne Hybride Lite Special Edition? Nice bike! What is that Champion Mondial sticker doing there?
That's the one. At least as far as I can tell going by the colours of this one.

I'm not sure about the sticker to be honest. There is not a lot of information on these bikes online. They were built at the end of the era that Gazelle still made steel frames by hand in their own factory. A few years later they made these (using the same name) out of aluminium.

The champion mondial name is still highly recognizable around here so my guess is they wanted to show it had some of its "DNA" in this bike. Remember, they always made a Champion Mondial semi-race model which was like a lightweight city/commuting bike.
This is probably its successor after they stopped making the Champion Mondial racing and touring bikes.

I'm ordering a lot of parts right now. I think I'll try digging up some more info and maybe start a thread.
Old 04-29-19, 12:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I started out doing a light tune-up on my main commuter bike, my 1974 Raleigh International. It's ending up being a major job, but that's a good thing. I've cleaned everything but the wheels so far. I've installed fenders, finally (not pictured). I need to find the mounting hardware for the taillight to go on the rear fender. Getting the front rack off and on is tricky, so it's off for now. I'm changing most cables and putting on a new chain. I think it was the unexpectedly grimy chain that prompted me to do a major tuneup.

I find that changing cables is one of my most disliked bike repair job. I'm not sure why.

My hand-applied paint (by brush) is chipping quite a bit, but the good news is (1) I don't care, and (2) the primer is holding up extremely well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-29-19, 12:41 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I just got a nice little used Schwinn so I could try to get my wife to go for neighborhood rides with me. I was younger and dumber 35 years ago and got her an old 10 speed. That didn't work out at all as she is NOT mechanically inclined at all, nor particularly athletic. (nor am I actually) Fast forward to present day and a recent purchase for me was an old Huffy Sportsman (Raleigh Sports) The 3 speed is a nice casual neighborhood rider.

I hope that perhaps I can get her to ride this one. We go on nice walks, but one can go further and see much more even at a casual pace on a bicycle. First thing will be gearing. My English built bike was geared tall, and switching out the 18 tooth rear cog to a 20 was perfect for this 60 year old guy for casual rides. I have a 19T and 22T laying around from the bike co-op, so I thought I would try the 22 on the SA hub on the Breeze first. As it is, low gear is about right for casual riding and it would be better if the middle gear was.
When I rebuilt a bike for my then wife I put a basket on it and it was the only thing she noticed about the bike, not sure why but ladies love a nice wicker basket. Very practical for market rides. Riding somewhere she likes to go that is close is also a good place to start. Good Luck Sir!
Old 04-30-19, 12:34 AM
alexnagui

Originally Posted by noglider
I started out doing a light tune-up on my main commuter bike, my 1974 Raleigh International. It's ending up being a major job, but that's a good thing. I've cleaned everything but the wheels so far. I've installed fenders, finally (not pictured). I need to find the mounting hardware for the taillight to go on the rear fender. Getting the front rack off and on is tricky, so it's off for now. I'm changing most cables and putting on a new chain. I think it was the unexpectedly grimy chain that prompted me to do a major tuneup.

I find that changing cables is one of my most disliked bike repair job. I'm not sure why.

My hand-applied paint (by brush) is chipping quite a bit, but the good news is (1) I don't care, and (2) the primer is holding up extremely well.

I can't see your attachment for some reason
Old 05-01-19, 10:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by alexnagui
I can't see your attachment for some reason
Darn, this stuff goes in and out. OK, here is the bike, now with the fenders. I'm embarrassed at how much effort I put into cleaning the front wheel, but it was really dirty.

Old 05-01-19, 11:19 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Darn, this stuff goes in and out. OK, here is the bike, now with the fenders. I'm embarrassed at how much effort I put into cleaning the front wheel, but it was really dirty.

Love that bike.
Old 05-04-19, 07:55 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Continued work on this 1990 Rockhopper Comp this morning. Polished and waxed frame and Future Shock front sus. Rebuilt the BX23 wheels which were in great condition under all the dirt.

IMG_7913 by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_7890 by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_7915 by 2cam16, on Flickr

IMG_7917 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 05-04-19, 11:39 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 150 Posts
I've also been working on a MTB frame. Stripped the Sakae of parts.
I have a nice idea for a paint job but just experimenting with giving it a brushed look. It looks good and tried polishing to but it's hard work and don't even want to think about polishing the whole frame especially around the BB and top of the seat stays. It would need clear coat too as the raw alloy is proving difficult to maintain.
I'll see how much further I can tolerate going with the sanding or it's going to be pearl white on the main tubes and light grey on the lugs. There's a decal set to go on too.
Another idea is a brushed look for the main tubes then metallic silver for the lugs and clear coating the lot. Decitions decisions, opinions welcome

Old 05-05-19, 09:16 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Took a crack at adjusting center pull brakes today. Closed the gap on rear and eliminated squeal on front. They actually stop the bike now.

Pics of the new ride later today...
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 05-06-19, 01:59 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Big Bike Sale

Last Saturday the Silicon Valley Bicycle Exchange had our semi annual bike and misc. sale

I has quite a few bikes that I personally restored, some with a repaint and some with just a deep clean and wax.

I was excited to show off my work and the customers really appreciated everything I did. I sold the Yellow Ital vega and a Univega 6400 Aluminum racer with all Dura ace hardware as well as the tough as nails looking Peugeot mixte with fenders and heavy duty rack sporting front and rear generator lights.

All in all we sold 30 bikes and a good amount of misc. equipment so it was a success.

One bike which didn't sell was a 58 cm Vitus 979 all aluminum race bike that is one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. This one is has pale blue anodised main tubes and natural forks and stays and is in fabulous condition. I did have one guy that was interested in it but at over 300 lbs was not at all right for it. The big frames have a reputation for being flexible and auto shifting if you mash the pedals.

Anyone close enough to the SF bay area to get over to our shop should stop by. I make a point of snagging all the best vintage bikes that are donated and giving them a 15-20 hour clean, refurb, update, and sometimes repaint and the shop insists on giving them away at ridiculously low prices.

Currently I am working on an ItalVega Nuovo Record that I just painted metallic bronze. This one will be a real show stopper when it is finished. For you classic mountain bike guys I have an extra large Miyata that I recently did complete with triple butted frame and great equipment. If you are about 6'2-6'5" and are looking for a super bike that is like new we are asking $250 for it and believe me it is worth it. Truely, if it doesn't sell I am tempted to buy it myself.
Old 05-06-19, 02:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

We're having trouble with our tandem. It has been dropping the chain between the big and middle chainrings when shifting down. This may be caused by the new chain and cassette. I replaced 7-speed equipment with 11-speed equipment. The chainrings seem too far from each other. I'm not sure what to do with that. Any advice? I'd rather not change cranksets. I thought of grinding down the outer surface of the crank spider to bring the big chainring closer in, but I don't know if I can be precise enough at that. Or maybe I could screw on some machine screws to the inside of the big chainring to knock the chain down to the middle ring, but I don't know how.

While I was at it, I decided to try a bigger big chainring that I got to get a higher top gear. I know I'm complicating things by making this change, but the problem isn't any worse. It might even be a bit better. The chainrings were 28/38/48, and now I replaced the 48 with a 54.

Old 05-06-19, 04:03 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Worth it though. Great looking bike. What is that 6-sided thing on the side of the front wheel?
Old 05-07-19, 09:09 AM
alexnagui

Worth it though. Great looking bike. What is that 6-sided thing on the side of the front wheel?
Was also wondering about that
Old 05-07-19, 10:58 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 526 Posts
Finally got my Gazelle Primeur stripped and repainted. Started today and waiting on drum brake hubs coming from the States.
Old 05-08-19, 04:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

That's a manual clutch for the dynamo. I can disengage it entirely. I've disengaged it for now, as I have to reinstall the dynamo-powered lights and am using battery-powered lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.