Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-24, 12:25 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 29 Posts
Your local coop is not likely to have the parts specifically for your bike. eBay may not be the most reliable place to find a bike part but they often have parts that you cannot find elsewhere. But who knows?
Likes For sbrudno:
Old 03-25-24, 08:42 PM
jemaleddin
New but Nice

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus 3.0, 1981 Fuji S12-S Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by sbrudno
Your local coop is not likely to have the parts specifically for your bike. eBay may not be the most reliable place to find a bike part but they often have parts that you cannot find elsewhere. But who knows?
Oh yeah, my plan is to use the co-op (where I just started volunteering) to answer questions and find some temporary parts while I search for more authentic ones. The fact that I’ve only got 10 of the 18 gears bums me out, but any working triple crankset that works will do for a while. On the other hand, the very elegant vintage pedals aren’t wide enough for my feet, let alone my shoes, so I’ll be checking for a suitable replacement.
Old 03-26-24, 11:16 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Spring time at the scrap yard... If I had been there 10 minutes earlier but I got 3 out of 6 wheels to work with... The Trek has a busted rear wheel, snapped rear derailleur, and a tweaked derailleur hanger,, but I stole the wheelset off of an aluminum Specialized Hybrid, so we're most of the way there.

P.S. I found a nasty dent on the headtube of the Trek and there's a slight bend on the right seat stay, so... its not a bike.. Too bad because there's no sign that it was ever ridden. The fork is a keeper with the mid blade rack mounts and the STX bits are nice..

The Schwinn boasts of double butted tubbing, but it was the Sugino MP compact double crankset that sold me.

And I found another vice. This ones a 58 pound 5" Wilton 745, with decades of hard use and caked on crud, but at least know I know what color it was. I also stripped the Aluminum Hybrid, which had a frozen suspension fork. I have a couple similar bikes missing bits so hopefully there's some win there.

Unfortunately the outside under a tarp bike pile has been building faster than I can deal with them.. first world problems I guess.

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-26-24 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-27-24, 09:43 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
P.S. I found a nasty dent on the headtube of the Trek and there's a slight bend on the right seat stay, so... its not a bike.. Too bad because there's no sign that it was ever ridden. The fork is a keeper with the mid blade rack mounts and the STX bits are nice..
Probably a good thing you found it instead of me. 😂 I would likely Bondo the dent, straighten the stay, and then repaint and re-decal it. But I need another project like that like I need another of the proverbial holes in my head, and it looks like it’s the same for you. But that’s a nice size Multitrack. Most of the ones I come across are smaller. And that’s how it starts . . .
Old 03-28-24, 11:37 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

I'm slowly coming to terms with not being able to "save" them all"....
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 03-29-24, 02:59 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Not intending for bikes, but will likely get used on them, bag was sitting next to trash in the alley. Repair kit for phones/tablets, etc

Unopened Multi-meter - replaces the one I left on a jobsite + small Torx and Philips bit drivers

A bunch of picks/lever/tweezers, etc + Suction cups + some rolls of ??? tapes

Full small bit kit
Old 04-09-24, 04:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,288 Times in 610 Posts
I fell off the wagon..... again. This Kuwahara Cutlass is a parts donor, I picked it up a couple days ago. I mainly wanted the crankset. 4130 Chrome Moly with lots of rack mounts.

I picked up this Takara after work today, it was about a block off my regular commute. Its fate is yet to be determined, I bought it for the barcons. It's an earlier one if the head badge is any indication. There are no signs of any decals except for a tiny little "Made in Japan" sticker just above the BB shell on the seat tube. It's my size but even though the wheels, seat post, stem, bars, etc. are all aluminum it is also a real boat anchor. Reminds me a bit of my Soma Prestige only a lot heavier.

The Prestige for comparison.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 04-09-24 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile:
Old 04-11-24, 05:22 PM
brandenjs
WV is not flat..

Bikes: 1 away from divorce!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 176 Posts
I am totally on board with not being able to save them all, but they need to quit crossing my path all the time. Didn't need this one, but who would pass up a 1997 Specialized Sirrus for $50 with a full RSX group and the shifters are working well. Still needs to be totally rebuilt, but great bones and a solid ride.
Old 04-11-24, 08:22 PM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Interesting mix of upgraded parts. I do not remember it as a triple crank and certainly not those brake levers, and probably not the same FD and RD. $50! That is impressive.
Old 04-12-24, 07:14 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Set set of modified campy pedals covered with epoxy were uncovered at The Bikery. The bearings roll clean, and a new modification is in order.

The the ended were slashed and flattened. I went and hacked the ends off and will file down to track pedal profiles. Most of the epoxy has been removed from one. The upside down pedal still has big blobs of glue on the body. These pedals have metal dust caps.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-12-24, 08:14 AM
sbrudno

There are a large number of old Campy parts in my "back-up bin". I hate seeing them trashed like this but feel for the fellow/gal who fell off the bike to the left (road) side of the highway. There is undoubtedly a story to tell. Converting is the only option...
Old 04-12-24, 05:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Set set of modified campy pedals covered with epoxy were uncovered at The Bikery. The bearings roll clean, and a new modification is in order.

The the ended were slashed and flattened. I went and hacked the ends off and will file down to track pedal profiles. Most of the epoxy has been removed from one. The upside down pedal still has big blobs of glue on the body. These pedals have metal dust caps.
And the dust caps appear to be in pretty good shape.
Old 04-15-24, 05:49 PM
Murray Missile 

I clearly have NO willpower whatsoever.......

So other than a Rossi badly in need of a lot of TLC what the heck did I buy? Mid 80's? I'll give it this, it's fairly light but I think the fork may be slightly bent....... Frame is fine though. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it just yet.

Old 04-15-24, 07:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Murray Missile
You're gonna learn how to straighten fork blades! Smiles, MH
Old 04-15-24, 09:52 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Unfortunately the outside under a tarp bike pile has been building faster than I can deal with them.. first world problems I guess.
Don't feel to bad, I have the exact same problem, and for the past two years now it's all I have been able to do to find time to adjust the tarps periodically to make sure the bikes are staying covered. I even have replacement parts I bought two years back for select of the bikes I already had at that time and have never managed to have the time to get around to doing the actual refurbishment work. So far this year I have come across two extremely cheap Trek ($40 or less) Trek bikes that have "followed me home". I desperately need to find the time get out there and get back to refurbishing those bikes.
Likes For game_player_s:
Old 04-16-24, 04:16 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Murray Missile
You're gonna learn how to straighten fork blades! Smiles, MH
Nope. Already been down that road, I just made them worse. Fortunately the bike was already scrap so no harm done but I know a guy...... If he can't straighten them he can probably graft the steerer tube onto another fork.
Old 04-18-24, 11:23 AM
bark_eater 

Couple more questionable acquisitions. The Raleigh has a a clean hub and a bunch of shiny proprietary bits. The Motobecane has some salvageable Japanese bits with a bit of French surprise expected .
Old 04-18-24, 03:14 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
And the dust caps appear to be in pretty good shape.
Yes, some scuff on the cap but not on the body!

They have been cleaned filed down and rebuilt, I’m happy.

The Holdsworth had some black cage pedals and a black Turbo saddle. While both are very nice I thought the steel cage would look better. They do, here the pedals have Christophe toeclips with the custom leather wrap clips matching the handlebars. The saddle now is a Brooks B-17 narrow not new anymore is unused, a perfect color match.

Next will be the straps, I had cut a pair in the past, those however are not consistent width and need to be narrower. I still have those.

I have some loose blades and wood scrap I should be able to McGyver a cutter. I know I have hardware from the box o’ crap in the shed.

And here we go

Not perfect, certainly paired down to a feedable width.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 04-18-24 at 04:03 PM.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-20-24, 03:42 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 261 Posts
1996 Gary Fisher Aquila thrift store find.

Before:

After:

Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 04-20-24, 04:05 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Thift store finds can be awesome when a vintage frame has been decked out with goodies like 1x12 groupset.

The employees just google the bike frame's make and model to appraise it
Old 04-21-24, 06:53 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 503 Times in 228 Posts
Friend called, daughter pulled this out of a dumpster. Rusty chain but everything works. Go figure.....
Old 04-23-24, 04:24 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
Today while cleaning out my mother-in-law's garage I found this Royce-Union floor pump. It's not a Silca, but still nice. My brother-in-law remembered using it on their bikes as kids, so it's not NOS. They just stored it in the box, so it is in really good condition. I'm guessing it was from the 1970s, since the chart on the side has pressures for 27 x 1 1/4 high pressure tires. I'm not sure what the purpose of the reservoir is, because it leaks out when you take the hose off the tire. I pumped up a bike tire and it works well with low effort. I have an extra Presta hose end, so I might swap that over so it is more useful.

Royce-Union floor pump
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 04-23-24, 04:42 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
Today while cleaning out my mother-in-law's garage I found this Royce-Union floor pump. It's not a Silca, but still nice. My brother-in-law remembered using it on their bikes as kids, so it's not NOS. They just stored it in the box, so it is in really good condition. I'm guessing it was from the 1970s, since the chart on the side has pressures for 27 x 1 1/4 high pressure tires. I'm not sure what the purpose of the reservoir is, because it leaks out when you take the hose off the tire. I pumped up a bike tire and it works well with low effort. I have an extra Presta hose end, so I might swap that over so it is more useful.

Royce-Union floor pump
It certainly looks like the Medai models we sold at BGI from West Coast Cycles back in the 1980's. Still one of the best pumps for the money, as it was not Silca priced but worked about the same. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-24-24, 08:54 AM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 372 Posts
1990 Bianchi Tangent
Apartment complex clean-out. A maintenance man rolled it out of storage lined with abandoned refrigerators.
Superset II, but also showing a Prestige decal. Command Shifters by the brake levers.
Wheels, saddle and pedals are not original. Missing brake pad and spacer.
Hubs are HelicoMatic and are probably old Trek.

One rotted cable casing replacement and saddle switch planned for the day.
Size is about 23, but the VERY high BB Makes it a tall bike.

Likes For Chuckk:
Old 04-24-24, 09:07 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Great score, not my favorite era for color/decals, but that should be a sweet ride.

Originally Posted by Chuckk
1990 Bianchi Tangent
Apartment complex clean-out. A maintenance man rolled it out of storage lined with abandoned refrigerators.
Superset II, but also showing a Prestige decal. Command Shifters by the brake levers.
Wheels, saddle and pedals are not original. Missing brake pad and spacer.
Hubs are HelicoMatic and are probably old Trek.

One rotted cable casing replacement and saddle switch planned for the day.
Size is about 23, but the VERY high BB Makes it a tall bike.

Likes For SoCaled:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.