Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

We're going to yell at you.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

We're going to yell at you.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-07, 10:14 AM
spry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by EventServices
So, where did we leave off?
Well Bile-Brain,it sounds like your just trolling for reactions from people.
Interesting that your posting from Ryanf.s hood eh?
Old 05-15-07, 10:36 AM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
We'd better start putting some cycling relating stuff in this thread, or it's going to be locked quicker than you can say Koffee.
Old 05-15-07, 10:36 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
With some time and experience since that last post, I've come to be familiar with the type of rides that the OP was talking about. I have to say that I now see where he's coming from, and what kept me from catching on to that was my own inexperience.

If you're riding in a group moving that fast, you damn well better know what you're doing, or someone can get hurt.

It certainly doesn't mean that I'm against new folks on a ride--hell, just this past sunday I was teaching new folks how to ride in a paceline, some of them for the first time. But when the pace is high and everyone's suffering is NOT the time to be teaching anyone.
Welcome to the dark side
Old 05-15-07, 10:37 AM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
i have nothing to say....but, damn! this thread is still going!?
Old 05-15-07, 10:55 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Welcome to the dark side
Old 05-15-07, 10:57 AM
zimbo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love this thread and I'm glad it gets bumped from time to time...

Originally Posted by spearce
well zen master, how would you respond to someone pulling you by the jersey to move you forcibly out of their way while you're rolling along at 30 mph? i'd be pretty damn pissed to the point of trading blows. can't help it. that's just the way i am. i don't do bad touches.
Perhaps "moving you forcibly" is a stretch, but using one's hand to direct another cyclist happens ALL THE TIME at elite levels of cycling. On the Wednesday night group ride around here if you take a turn in the rotating paceline and you pull through too hard, someone is going to yell "whoa" or (gently) grab your jersey pocket to let you know you're surging; if you don't pull through hard enough, someone is going to yell "pull through, pull through" or (gently) push you from behind.

If it happens to you, please know that it's not a personal attack. You're being taught with terseness, and chances are good that someone will come up to you after the pace slows back down to explain what you did wrong.

I say this because that's how I learned. And, in fact, I'm still learning.

--Steve
Old 05-15-07, 11:19 AM
spearce
Cherch!!!11!1!Juan!Juan!

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zimbo
I love this thread and I'm glad it gets bumped from time to time...

Perhaps "moving you forcibly" is a stretch, but using one's hand to direct another cyclist happens ALL THE TIME at elite levels of cycling. On the Wednesday night group ride around here if you take a turn in the rotating paceline and you pull through too hard, someone is going to yell "whoa" or (gently) grab your jersey pocket to let you know you're surging; if you don't pull through hard enough, someone is going to yell "pull through, pull through" or (gently) push you from behind.

If it happens to you, please know that it's not a personal attack. You're being taught with terseness, and chances are good that someone will come up to you after the pace slows back down to explain what you did wrong.

I say this because that's how I learned. And, in fact, I'm still learning.

--Steve
understood and i have no problem with the conditions you have stated. The OP did not present the situation as such and from the tone of his earlier posts i'm pretty sure it wasn't a "hey there how ya doing" type of jersey grab. i'm actually pretty anxious to get started with some of these group pace line rides so that i can get a better understanding about this thing.
Old 05-15-07, 11:22 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by spearce
understood and i have no problem with the conditions you have stated. The OP did not present the situation as such and from the tone of his earlier posts i'm pretty sure it wasn't a "hey there how ya doing" type of jersey grab. i'm actually pretty anxious to get started with some of these group pace line rides so that i can get a better understanding about this thing.
zimbo does make a good point. In races as well, there's a fair amount of touching/nudging/etc. that happens as you move up the cats. It's a form of communication, really. This is a completely foreign concept to most Cat 5's just starting out, and over-reaction to incidental contact is probably the #1 reason for crashes in Cat 5 (and even some Cat 4) races.

Yet another thing I didn't know when I went off on the OP so long ago...
Old 05-15-07, 11:28 AM
spearce
Cherch!!!11!1!Juan!Juan!

Bikes: Giant OCR1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
zimbo does make a good point. In races as well, there's a fair amount of touching/nudging/etc. that happens as you move up the cats. It's a form of communication, really. This is a completely foreign concept to most Cat 5's just starting out, and over-reaction to incidental contact is probably the #1 reason for crashes in Cat 5 (and even some Cat 4) races.

Yet another thing I didn't know when I went off on the OP so long ago...
yeah...i've watched quite a bit of cycling on TV and Youtube and that was one of the first things i noticied. those i would classify as good touches. my mom told me that those are perfectly OK.
Old 05-15-07, 11:50 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the original poster is a noob.

Only a noobcake would post something like this, trying to pretend that they arent really noobs.

WHy would I even argue with a nooblizard that posted this. His ego? He doesnt have one, he is a noobbad. No ego comes with such a thing.

Move along, nothing to see here but a noob
Old 05-15-07, 11:53 AM
godspiral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
about the no cutting out of line rule,

is it ok if the people up front decide to up the pace and/or you don't think you will hang for the next 5 minutes, to announce/signal you are breaking off, hopefully doing a courtesy acceleration to close the gap somewhat, then breaking off into the other lane?
Old 05-15-07, 11:55 AM
ovoleg
Powered by Borscht

Bikes: Russian Vodka

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your going to break off then break off. Jeez, its not that big of a deal. If the noobs behind you who are "training" can't close the gap of one bike length then they need to practice more.

Just dont make a habit of it, I am sure most people will understand if you just CANT handle it and decide to break off. It's better to break off then start slowing down and get a 10 bike length gap.
Old 05-15-07, 12:03 PM
beaus pete

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so because my group rides along at 20-22 and yells car up, back and clear we are a bunch of freds...uhhhh screw you and how many times do you really think I care to her "well be the ones riding 30"...big f*ckng deal...have fun and leave my rides alone...you not any better cause you ride faster o i forgot you think you are...
Old 05-15-07, 12:15 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beaus pete
have fun and leave my rides alone...
Funny, I bet the OP is thinking the exact same thing.
Old 05-15-07, 12:15 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ovoleg
the original poster is a noob.
Once again, your cluelessness precedes you.
Old 05-15-07, 12:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
so because my group rides along at 20-22 and yells car up, back and clear we are a bunch of freds...uhhhh screw you and how many times do you really think I care to her "well be the ones riding 30"...big f*ckng deal...have fun and leave my rides alone...you not any better cause you ride faster o i forgot you think you are...
There's a time and place for those types of rides, and its called active recovery

Seriously though, there's nothing wrong with that type of ride, I do them and have lots of fun doing them. Just know that a 30mph paceline is a different animal, and if you get into one you better know exactly what you're doing.
Old 05-15-07, 12:25 PM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread cracks me up.... I like the original intent, all the responses, and all the back at you comments

We routinely pack ride at 30mph, double and rotating pace line. Very rarely do we have to "Yell at anybody" if ever

A passing comment will do... It's not a tough task at hand, much like riding a bicycle. The steer around pot holes and don't leave mid pack is silly however... It's more dangerous to quickly change direction around a pot hole in a pack rather than just roll through it. If you are not strong enough to pull up front, get to the back of the line, because there will be many others that want the font line to keep pace. Just signal out and drift back, no big deal, no reason to yell....

However, I suppose if yelling is needed, it's warranted.

Last edited by ViperZ; 05-15-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 12:35 PM
ggg300
Burnin' and Lootin'

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 05-15-07, 12:38 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All these people talking about 30 mph rides make me think there should be more hour record challengers. I think it stands around 33 mph for 1 hr, but that's a solo rider so no drafting.

Well that and that flying scotsman movie, that was the ****.
Old 05-15-07, 12:52 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 442 Posts
so I'm hoping this just a 'reaction' to what seems a repeated counterpoint of'eliteism' in the thread about the OP's comments. Certainly the cycling universe is larger than any of us. Whether you ride a Bike Friday, Bent or are a Tri-Geek, messenger or Sunday Poseur matters very little on a 'value' scale - its really all good.
Now, the OP's tone might seem a bit high & mighty and the physical stuff might be more 'exaggeration' than reality (I hope so). Most of the points are well taken. I might personally disagree with some, slightly; but overall for a high level training ride with a single mindset, its ok.
More general might be the point that 'jumping in' on any seemingly organized ride/thing is prolly done gingerly with much awareness to what the deal seems to be. If you're welcome, it'll be obvious soon enough. If you're not 'suited', that should hit you in the face quickly enough also; without need for external intervention.
SO, how does one 'break in' to a ride like this?
Surprisingly the old 'apprentice'/journeyman/master concept works quite well. If you really 'need' to be able to ride with this kind of group, find a way to work 'up' in both strength and especially knowledge/skill.
Some riders clearly have much more muscle than experience while 'others' can't muster enough 'juice' out of their legs anymore, despite all the experience they've accumulated. Be accepting of your own capabilities and make it 'fit' or find another venue. If you approach a group in that fashion, they'll usually cut you enough slack to give you the best chance of fitting in.
If that group can ride this strongly, then they certainly might be 'elite' in their own realm.
If you wanna get there, then consider good advise, even if it comes across a little shrill.

Last edited by cyclezen; 05-15-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-07, 12:55 PM
ovoleg