Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Would you ride a women's bike?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Would you ride a women's bike?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 07:13 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by xuwol7
Thats it oddjob2,
Love that Peugeot Mixte, the Brooks sprung saddle, fenders with the dyno lights, classic cottered cranks and the chain guard really sets it off.
I would ride that bike with a big goofy smile on my face.

I saw an old PBS show recently, this old house show featuring a bike shop/bikes in New England/ Adirondacks was that your shop?
Love my Vintage Peugeots and PBS...lol
(15year old tv with rabbit ears and the only channel I really watch).

Probably filming Old Spokes Home in Burlington VT, near Univ. of VT campus. I don't have a retail shop, just work out of my basement or garage, depending on which house I am at.

My early childhood was spent listening to my Moms old record of the Music Man...
It didn't turn me gay...lol
I am a former boxer 6'2" 190# and am secure with my sexuality and actually looking forward to riding a "woman-s-bike"...lol
Music Man, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, King and I, Fiddler on the Roof, Mary Poppins, South Pacific, Hello Dolly, Tommy, Chicago..... it's all good. I started playing the trumpet in 3rd grade.
Old 10-21-14, 07:34 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Before riding a woman's bike:

After:

Old 10-21-14, 07:51 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-21-14, 07:52 AM
David Newton
Wood

Bikes: Raleigh Sports: hers. Vianelli Professional & Bridgestone 300: mine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've been trying to find a loop-frame Raleigh locally for several years, but none have surfaced in my corner.
It's the only ladies bike I would ride, and it sure wouldn't have a wicker basket.
Old 10-21-14, 08:13 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

I'm going to use this picture all the time.

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 10-21-14, 08:16 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
@gioscinelli - those are some nice looking bikes! I recognize those Stronglight chainrings too.

Actually when I see a guy riding a step through/mixte/"woman's" bike it gets my attention. If the person is near me I might comment on something about the bike, like, "What year is your bike?" or something neutral. I don't want someone to think I'm implying anything one way or another. Depending on how the individual responds, the conversation goes from there. If they were to say, "Yes, the judge suspended my license for 6 months, so I got this bike from a garage sale" I might think one way, but if they proudly proclaim, "I bought this bike because of _ and it really is comfortable" or something like that I might think that the person is open minded, confident enough to ride that style of bike. That would intrigue me more and I would want to know more. Regardless of either response, my final comment would be something positive and hopefully encouraging like, "Well it's a nice day for a bike ride. Enjoy" Either way a man riding a step through would get my attention.

Of of course once I start geeking out on bikes, the recipient of my conversation will either be enthused because, they too, are bike fans, or their eyes will glaze over in boredome or confusion. At that point, if I recognize it, the conversation quickly comes to an end. Those of you from the east coast or huge metropolitan areas might just think a person is a lunatic if they just start up a random conversation, but I'm from a smaller city, where conversations with strangers isn't unusual.

Last edited by Velocivixen; 10-21-14 at 08:24 AM. Reason: grammar correct
Old 10-21-14, 08:22 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
When I saw "Mac" in the title, I couldn't figure out how a computer was going to enhance this guy!
Old 10-21-14, 09:00 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
To be fair, it took a number of readings (after reading your reply post) to understand that your first sentence is two distinct subjects:
And to couple it with this post which is (to my mind) pretty clearly defining a "mixte" as any step through bike:
I thought your intial post was confusing. There's assigned and assumed gender roles in every society. I see nothing misogynistic about Ex Pres' post.
Interesting.. when someone says standard women frames and mixte frames are not the same, you take it that way.

Last edited by RaleighSport; 10-21-14 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-21-14, 09:03 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by daf1009
I think we should do away with the term "girl's bike"....it is a Mixte...plain and simple...or, if you prefer, a step through frame...but...what would you call a 60 cm Mixte? A girl's bike?
A TALL GIRL's bike
Old 10-21-14, 09:04 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,484 Times in 1,134 Posts
My commuter for a couple years was a Schwinn Hollywood. What a great bike for the potholes of Oakland and the trolley tracks of San Francisco with that soft frame and big cushy tires!

Shall we discuss PINK next?

My race bike.

Brent
Old 10-21-14, 09:17 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Men who ride mixtes are HOT.
Now I'm going to have to get one, no alternative .......
This won't help me achieve "N - 1" - I'll have to refer my good lady wife to your excellent opinions Velocivixen ......
Old 10-21-14, 10:00 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
My commuter for a couple years was a Schwinn Hollywood. What a great bike for the potholes of Oakland and the trolley tracks of San Francisco with that soft frame and big cushy tires!

Shall we discuss PINK next?

My race bike.

Brent
There have been a couple threads about that, too!

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ink-bikes.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ink-bikes.html
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-21-14, 11:08 AM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by icepick_trotsky
And hopefully soon by me. I think I'm going for it.
I think you;ll like it, Taller cro-mo frame.

Only comments I get are 'Thats a nice Schwinn'!

Old 10-21-14, 11:12 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Interesting.. when someone says standard women frames and mixte frames are not the same, you take it that way.
What does this say?

"I think we should do away with the term "girl's bike"....it is a Mixte...plain and simple...or, if you prefer, a step through frame"

Again your post of:

"Yes and I do, it's called a mixte."

Is easily confused as "Yes I do, it's called a mixte."

Not to be rude, but the taking offense to this and the accusation of sexism is unwarranted.

Old 10-21-14, 11:58 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

What does this say?

"I think we should do away with the term "girl's bike"....it is a Mixte...plain and simple...or, if you prefer, a step through frame"

Again your post of:

"Yes and I do, it's called a mixte."

Is easily confused as "Yes I do, it's called a mixte."

Not to be rude, but the taking offense to this and the accusation of sexism is unwarranted.
Not to be rude in return but the idea of "manlying up a bike" because of a perceived gender type frame is actually misogynist in my mind, obviously not in yours and you are correct I didn't use proper punctuation.. no offense intended, but I save my heavy english skills for writing papers, not for internet forums.
Old 10-21-14, 12:45 PM
John Hood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So does anyone actually think their manliness is called into question by riding a women's frame? To me it's one of those things like which direction a coat buttons from, mostly irrelevant. I'm guessing that the vast majority of women nowadays ride men's frames. Does that make them less feminine?

On the other hand, I do object to them from two perspectives.
1) I just don't think they look good. The lines of the frame just don't flow right. A mixte is somewhat better in that regard, but a good old diamond or cantilever frame is best.
2) They're weak and flexy. The DF design came about because it is simple and strong. Back in the early days of BMX I had my sisters hand me down Spyder. I used to like it for doing jumps because it was so soft. Eventually though, I broke it and went on to a series of tough BMX frames that held up fine.

If you have a real need to step through the frame however, say you have a child on the back of the bike, you are wearing a dress or you have limited flexibility or balance, then a women's frame makes sense.
Old 10-21-14, 01:26 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Not to be rude in return but the idea of "manlying up a bike" because of a perceived gender type frame is actually misogynist in my mind, obviously not in yours and you are correct I didn't use proper punctuation.. no offense intended, but I save my heavy english skills for writing papers, not for internet forums.
Pointing out or emphasising a gender role, or a propensity for a gender to prefer certain items isn't misogynistic or sexist- it's gender roles.

From a very young age males tend to gravitate towards tools and trucks. As do male monkeys.

Why Do Girls Like Dolls and Boys Like Toy Trucks?

Plenty of scientific studies bear that out.

If you write unclear or easily confusing statements on internet forums because you choose not use basic English skills you shouldn't respond with hostility when someone doesn't understand you.

Again, it's not a punctuation error- it's that your statement is unclear.

Old 10-21-14, 01:58 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Rcrxjlb
The last time I rode a girl's bike I needed a beer afterwards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FczvmLnBTEs

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-21-14, 02:00 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,239 Times in 655 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocivixen
Men who ride mixtes are HOT.
"You go girl...."

verktyg

Chas.

Chas. ;-)

Old 10-21-14, 02:19 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Pointing out or emphasising a gender role, or a propensity for a gender to prefer certain items isn't misogynistic or sexist- it's gender roles.

From a very young age males tend to gravitate towards tools and trucks. As do male monkeys.

Why Do Girls Like Dolls and Boys Like Toy Trucks?

Plenty of scientific studies bear that out.

If you write unclear or easily confusing statements on internet forums because you choose not use basic English skills you shouldn't respond with hostility when someone doesn't understand you.

Again, it's not a punctuation error- it's that your statement is unclear.
Call it what you will, then speak the paragraph out loud, then remember I wasn't speaking to you either. It's too bad you can't read through bad grammar, the coming generation mostly writes in txt speak. I have no need to continue this further other than to state once more traditional gender roles are pathetic, oh and no hard feelings here at all so please don't construe this annoyance, just busy.
Old 10-21-14, 02:20 PM
boattail71
boattail71

Bikes: Too many to list. Raleigh carbon racer (17 lbs.) and fast to a '37 Columbia (17 lbs. wheels alone) Even an Aerocycle (not ridable yet), love the middleweights too.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Hood
. I'm guessing that the vast majority of women nowadays ride men's frames. Does that make them less feminine?

The women's style frame was borne from Victorian women who wore dresses which necessitated a different design to their bike frames. Most women ride "men's" frames now because "women's" frames are no longer needed and of course, have long fallen out of the new-bike favor. So, no, a woman on a regular frame is not less feminine just as women's suffrage, women running marathons, etc. there's obviously more equality not necessarily less femininity. Like Velocivixen said above, I notice "women's" frames because it's less common and more interesting regardless of whether it's a man or a woman on the bike.
Old 10-21-14, 07:09 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
My first bike I considered a commuter was a spare women's mtb i had laying around. I've since picked up my Terranaut Metro and handed the mtb down to son's girlfriend.
Old 10-21-14, 07:17 PM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
if you like it, why not? i dont like mixtes but I would ride an omafiet, a traditional women's dutch bike.
Old 10-21-14, 07:30 PM
zazenzach

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
state once more traditional gender roles are pathetic, oh and no hard feelings here at all so please don't construe this annoyance, just busy.
its funny how things like that tend to change too. my other passion is watches and the wristwatch was initially intended only for women as another form of wrist candy. it was only after ww1 that men started to trade in their pocket watch for them. nowadays the wristwatch is kind of a phallic symbol.

Odds are The Golden Boy is probably form a much older generation where culturally defined/understandings on such topic is more antiquated. I for one never gravitated towards tools or trucks when i was younger. nor most my friends when i was a youth.

and most kids today tend to be into a lot of the same stuff regardless of gender. all my nieces and nephews are into spiderman/superheroes, star wars, nintendo games etc.
Old 10-21-14, 08:31 PM
John Hood

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boattail71
The women's style frame was borne from Victorian women who wore dresses which necessitated a different design to their bike frames. Most women ride "men's" frames now because "women's" frames are no longer needed and of course, have long fallen out of the new-bike favor. So, no, a woman on a regular frame is not less feminine just as women's suffrage, women running marathons, etc. there's obviously more equality not necessarily less femininity. Like Velocivixen said above, I notice "women's" frames because it's less common and more interesting regardless of whether it's a man or a woman on the bike.
I think the real factor favoring men's frames in the US is that bikes here are overwhelmingly used for recreation rather than for practical purposes. From a standpoint of recreation the men's frame is hands down superior. It's just much stiffer and stronger.

Where bikes are used primarily for practical purposes women's, or step through, frames seem to be more popular and are ridden by both genders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.