Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

fall = losing my mojo

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

fall = losing my mojo

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 10:27 PM
Cacti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I thought @thehammerdog had just taken a bad fall, causing him to back off on aggressive riding. That's happened to me in mountain biking. Now in my 60s, I'm not nearly as reckless as I was in my 40s.
Not to derail the thread, but do you still ride steeper downhill rocky trails, or did you ever? I'm 59 and new to cycling. As a skier, I know how much I've lost when it comes to the more extreme stuff. It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm much more fearful of falling now. I don't do the steeper rocky chutes or lines through the trees any more. But I've been watching some vids of downhill biking and it looks like a lot of fun! There's a path by me, but it can get steep and it's all rocks and boulders. I'd like to try some trails on my new MTB when I get it, but should I put that out of my mind right now?
Old 09-30-20, 06:09 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
Not to derail the thread, but do you still ride steeper downhill rocky trails, or did you ever? I'm 59 and new to cycling. As a skier, I know how much I've lost when it comes to the more extreme stuff. It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm much more fearful of falling now. I don't do the steeper rocky chutes or lines through the trees any more. But I've been watching some vids of downhill biking and it looks like a lot of fun! There's a path by me, but it can get steep and it's all rocks and boulders. I'd like to try some trails on my new MTB when I get it, but should I put that out of my mind right now?
Yes. I still ride, but if I come to a "steeper downhill rocky trail", then I dismount and walk down. It's no shame. I also try to keep my wheels on the ground now, as much as is practical. I've found that my most damaging falls have come from being airborne and not being able to hold or recover the landing. So, I ride more carefully. It's still enjoyable and a good workout.

It's up to you whether to take risks. My advice is to ride on trails with a difficulty that is suited to your skill level. Watch YouTube videos on the basics of MTB skills, and practice in safe places until you are comfortable with these basics. Then ride progressively more difficult rides and see how you do. Improve from there. Go over to the Mountain sub-forum and talk to the folks there, as they will be better at giving specific advice.
Old 09-30-20, 07:26 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
days shorter, cooler just feels harder to motivate self to ride.
how do you cope ..
Living in the Midwest, I can understand this feeling, especially when it's overcast and cold.

Do you have fleece-lined riding gear? I bought a few sets of the Chinese knock-off fleece lined gear on eBay and love them for colder weather riding. I can ride comfortably into the 40 degrees (F) and feel all warm and fuzzy inside I also try to wear high visibility clothing, always run a headlight and taillight on "strobe", and wear yellow tinted glasses to keep things safe since the sun sets early.

I plan on riding outdoors up until daylight savings time if the weather cooperates (I.e., no rain and bitter cold... I'm too big of a sissy for that). After that, it gets dark so early that the best I could hope for is a weekend ride. Like many, I invested in a smart trainer and use Zwift to keep indoor riding less boring, but nothing beats riding outdoors.

At least where I live, my incentive to keep riding is that the trees are changing colors which makes this my favorite time of the year to be outside. In addition to biking, I'm trying to take a few stops and take some pictures of my riding which makes the ride more "fun".

Old 09-30-20, 07:38 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Living in the Midwest, I can understand this feeling, especially when it's overcast and cold.

Do you have fleece-lined riding gear? I bought a few sets of the Chinese knock-off fleece lined gear on eBay and love them for colder weather riding. I can ride comfortably into the 40 degrees (F) and feel all warm and fuzzy inside I also try to wear high visibility clothing, always run a headlight and taillight on "strobe", and wear yellow tinted glasses to keep things safe since the sun sets early.

I plan on riding outdoors up until daylight savings time if the weather cooperates (I.e., no rain and bitter cold... I'm too big of a sissy for that). After that, it gets dark so early that the best I could hope for is a weekend ride. Like many, I invested in a smart trainer and use Zwift to keep indoor riding less boring, but nothing beats riding outdoors.

At least where I live, my incentive to keep riding is that the trees are changing colors which makes this my favorite time of the year to be outside. In addition to biking, I'm trying to take a few stops and take some pictures of my riding which makes the ride more "fun".

nice bike.
yes I have all the correct stuff and in winter will ride if below 32 but above 25....wind can kill ya.
its thedarkness i hate. need to be out before 5pm back by 7pm soon by 4pm or bust
i miss 9pm sun down. 80 degrees.
Old 09-30-20, 07:53 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
I try to look at it this way... if it was always sunny and 80 every day, we as humanoids would soon take that for granted. The change of seasons makes next Spring and the first few outdoor rides all that much more exciting!

On that note, time to start taking vitamin D3 as our bodies certainly aren't going to be making it from sunlight these days.
Old 09-30-20, 08:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
nice bike.
yes I have all the correct stuff and in winter will ride if below 32 but above 25....wind can kill ya.
its thedarkness i hate. need to be out before 5pm back by 7pm soon by 4pm or bust
Buy a good set of lights? Then you will "own the night".
Old 09-30-20, 08:49 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I used to hate the UK for outdoor activities most of the year when I lived there. Winter, cold, wet, dark. For months. Now I live in one of the mildest climates in Europe, in the Algarve region of Portugal, we get over 300 days of Sun, Summer is never too hot, Winter is never too cold. Cycling all year round is a reality. In the coldest months, the only warm gear I need are arm and leg warmers. For about 2-3 months. Nothing more. Rain? Take the day off, not enough wet days to really affect my training and if there are more than two days in a row, indoors is an option to maintain fitness.
Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 09-30-20, 08:41 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
those headlights set to strobe bug the crap out of me so i usually look away,

brake lights no problem, but that bright light flashing, ii just don't see the point. and sometimes it causes my brain to seize up..
who was the genius who thought a blinking headlamp would be cool? at least make it blink with a steady beat, i just want to get a hammer out and.....rant off.

as soon as daylight savings switches back i am changing to morning rides.
Old 10-02-20, 02:51 AM
Solo_rider

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
I used to hate the UK for outdoor activities most of the year when I lived there. Winter, cold, wet, dark. For months. Now I live in one of the mildest climates in Europe, in the Algarve region of Portugal, we get over 300 days of Sun, Summer is never too hot, Winter is never too cold. Cycling all year round is a reality. In the coldest months, the only warm gear I need are arm and leg warmers. For about 2-3 months. Nothing more. Rain? Take the day off, not enough wet days to really affect my training and if there are more than two days in a row, indoors is an option to maintain fitness.
How lucky ! Some people live in places where they get 300 days of sun a year. Here in the west coast -or as they call it here "the wet coast"- of canada we're lucky if we get 60 days of sun (completely blue skies) a year. So, it's the complete opposite. I rode my bike the past 4 days straight because we've been lucky with some nice weather lately and I want to take advantage of whatever nice days we get but I know soon the rain will come back and riding will be limited to a few days per month. I hate the rain more than words can say. For me, rain means no riding, period. There's no way around it.
Old 10-02-20, 09:13 PM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
105 degrees today were I live....can't wait for Fall!
Old 10-02-20, 10:13 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 5,722 Times in 2,950 Posts
Originally Posted by Cacti
I started mtn biking in earnest at 58 after being a roadie for my entire adult life. Mtn biking is like downhill skiing, where road biking is more like cross country. I love the challenge, the skill building, getting a fun payoff for arduous climbing and the fraternity of mtn biking. It is exciting, scary, and great fun when you are in the groove. I gave up road biking when I really got into mtn because it is so darned exciting. The thing with it is you need to keep at it to keep your skills sharp or you could make mistakes resulting in injury. The first two years I never did a ride without a crash, one rather severe. The next three years I backed off a bit but still had a great time. Hitting 65 I am more cautious and walk steep sections, some are almost too steep to walk, and don’t take risks so I don’t end up in the ER.

With COVID, and after the lockdown here traffic was greatly reduced, so I got back into road where chances of going to the ER are less.

will go back to it when there is a vaccine and people start acting in socially responsible ways. Guess I won’t be returning soon. Sigh

Old 10-03-20, 06:10 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 501 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
This is how I cope.

Which lake do you sail ?
Old 10-03-20, 06:19 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Which lake do you sail ?
Grapevine. Have to put up with the PITA cyclists that ride 3 abreast around the park when I want to get to the boat. 😜
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 10-03-20, 06:52 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 501 Posts
Nice, I enjoy riding Grapevine and sometimes Horseshoe and Northshore. Whiterock is my training area.
Old 10-03-20, 08:51 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Indeed! Already I am having to eat quickly as soon as I get home from work if I want time to ride for an hour afterward. This won't go on much longer.
Yep, time is becoming more and more precious. Now, I just take my bike to work and wait for the 5PM whistle. Then I change in the bathroom and ride from the office. Thankfully, the excellent I275 Trail and Hines Drive near Detroit is very close to work.
Old 10-03-20, 11:13 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9656 Post(s)
Liked 6,366 Times in 3,506 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Nice, I enjoy riding Grapevine and sometimes Horseshoe and Northshore. Whiterock is my training area.
We live south of Arlington so either ride country roads of one of the area’s linear parks. Need to head to WR one day. Road it a lot when I was at SMU, but that was many years ago.