Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Can we talk about the this Rivendell Hillibike thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 09:55 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I have a lot of thoughts on GP and RBW and wanted to respond to so many of these posts, so I'll limit myself to a few observations and statements:

1) I noticed that the Gus Boots Willsen came about AFTER one of RBW's employees brought his Jones Plus LWB into the RBW riding world. The Gus is a huge departure from other Rivs and in some ways, similar to the Jones. I will always wonder if Grant "borrowed" from the Jones when he designed the Gus. The "Hillibike" label got attached, retroactively, to more conventional, already existing RBW bikes.

2) I was shocked when Grant admitted that he strongly prefers V-brakes to all other brakes. I figured he would be a canti-guy to his core.

3) Grant influenced my move to fatter tires and back to steel (from aluminum) but the biggest reason I follow him and RBW is because their riding philosophy fit mine and they were (are?) the only company offering what I want in a bike.

4) Jan Heine has credited Grant with influencing him toward fatter tires.

5) The whole long chainstay thing seems to be gaining momentum, as Grant predicted. Jones' latest LWB frameset for e-biking has 50cm chainstays! That's approaching Riv territory.

6) I'm very curious to try the longer chainstays. I have a Hunqapillar with 46cm stays and I'm experiencing a little bit of toe overlap. The same size Atlantis has a really raked out front end, plus an extra 10mm in ett length AND it has long chainstays. They will be back in stock in early 2022 and I may have to bite the bullet and order one.

I believe this is a 55 cm Atlantis, which is the size I would buy

Last edited by corwin1968; 04-03-21 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For corwin1968:
Old 06-24-21, 09:29 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Found this thread on a search. It’s been fun to appreciate long chainstay/wheel base bikes. Way back I visited Roger Durham of Bullseye bike parts when he lived in a house in Hollywood with fabrication down in the basement. He had a custom aluminum bike made up with 19” or so chainstays and upright bars. He said the wb was around 45”. Fast forward 40 yrs and I’m in Maine getting a bike at LLBean to ride around and I get a Felt Cafe 7 that has 19” chainstays and lax angles. It felt surprisingly responsive, although not nimble, for it’s length. It has an aluminum frame and fork. A couple years ago I got a Rivendell Clem Smith H with 650b x 62 mm tires and really like it although my fitness has fallen off significantly. Seems to me these dimensions are ideally suited for hydroformed aluminum over steel.
Old 10-28-23, 03:43 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,233 Posts
old thread - but the 2018 catalogue pic

…is priceless. Given thread title Hillibikes.

camping in the hilli

Last edited by Wildwood; 10-28-23 at 03:49 PM.